ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get Chris Beard

TT is not to the Big12 what IU is to the B10. They don't expect conference championships with the likes of KS, TX, WVU, etc... looming. This was Baylor's first CC since like 1959. True, the same results at IU would not be OK, but he's been doing more with less, resource wise. It's reasonable to think he'd do more with more.
Can he get more here though? He doesn't seem to have capitalized in recruiting based on his tourney success. That concerns me

Not disputing any of your points, but why would it be a necessity that Musselman recruit California?

Don't think Musselman has a specific recruiting base which could be a good thing and also a bad thing at the same time. He runs an NBA-type system which is attractive to top flight recruits regardless of where they are from. That's a good thing. He may not put emphasis on Indiana kids which at times could be a bad thing. He's been out front putting teams together via the transfer market which going forward is going to be the new norm.

Only negative I have in regards to Musselman is that I don't consider him a college-lifer. Spent his first 25 years coaching in the professional ranks and in the last decade has been reinventing himself at the college level. Just about every "college-lifer" will tell you Indiana is a destination job and not a job you leave. Don't know if I'm ready to concede that Musselman shares that sentiment. He wins and wins early at Indiana, could see it as an NBA audition. That's my one concern.

Beards underwhelming style isn’t for us. Dolson made it clear that he wants a different style of play.
I think it would be a horrible fit, I' so tired of these plodding slow down teams. Just boring to watch/play and doesn't attract talent. That game is for teams that have to make due with less talent year in and out. We should not be looking for a coach that needs to run that style

Don't think Musselman has a specific recruiting base which could be a good thing and also a bad thing at the same time. He runs an NBA-type system which is attractive to top flight recruits regardless of where they are from. That's a good thing. He may not put emphasis on Indiana kids which at times could be a bad thing. He's been out front putting teams together via the transfer market which going forward is going to be the new norm.

Only negative I have in regards to Musselman is that I don't consider him a college-lifer. Spent his first 25 years coaching in the professional ranks and in the last decade has been reinventing himself at the college level. Just about every "college-lifer" will tell you Indiana is a destination job and not a job you leave. Don't know if I'm ready to concede that Musselman shares that sentiment. He wins and wins early at Indiana, could see it as an NBA audition. That's my one concern.
If he stayed for at least 5 years with good results, I’m good with that.

If he has an up and down record like that with no conference championships at IU you and the rest of the fan base would be running him over. He’s neither a home run hire or cutting edge. Just not sold. Oh and that 6 game losing streak at the end of conference is awesome.
That's my point, even at TT, it's not been up and down. It's been (for them again) good to very good to outstanding. Translatable results to IU would mean making the tourney every year, a winning conference record, mixed in with some deeper tourney runs and competing for conf titles. I don't think you're being fair about what consitutes success and great results at T Tech. Hardly any one, not named Kansas has won a conference title in many years until now. Hasn't Self won or tied for the title for like the previous 12 or 14 years?

If he stayed for at least 5 years with good results, I’m good with that.

If he makes it 5 years he's likely staying for the long haul. At 56 his window of opportunity in regards to the NBA is closing. But if he nails it out of the gate like he has at Nevada and Arkansas, it may be a different story. But you don't say no to Musselman if that is your #1 guy.

That's my point, even at TT, it's not been up and down. It's been (for them again) good to very good to outstanding. Translatable results to IU would mean making the tourney every year, a winning conference record, mixed in with some deeper tourney runs and competing for conf titles. I don't think you're being fair about what consitutes success and great results at T Tech. Hardly any one, not named Kansas has won a conference title in many years until now. Hasn't Self won or tied for the title for like the previous 12 or 14 years?
The goal should be expect to win the conference title every year like it is at KU, UK, Duke, MSU. I don't think that if we have the opportunity to make a historic hire we should blow it on somebody who's just going to make us respectable. Do you want to be Purdue? You've just described their expectations

Yes, but .500 conference records should rarely happen if h's such a great coach. What I see is other than an E8 and an NC appearance, he's average year is 20-12 or worse. That is not what expect for what we'd pay him. Those are Alford type results. I think people are infatuated with him just cause of Knight assistant, but that's absurd. I want a coach where we can expect to win 25+ every year, more in good years, less in bad, but 20-12 would be a bad year by my standard and that's his best record at A&M out side of the NCAA runs
Sure, his results are going to look just OK if you take away the 2 best seasons he ever had. He's only been at Tx Tech for 5 years. He's never had a losing record overall and only 1 in conference, and he's not playing in the Horizon League, he's at a 2nd rate program in a P5 conference. It would be the equivalent of doing that with PSU or NB in the B10... or IU for the last 5 years.

He also did well at previous stops in AR LR and Angelo St.

Reactions: IndyMitchell
The goal should be expect to win the conference title every year like it is at KU, UK, Duke, MSU. I don't think that if we have the opportunity to make a historic hire we should blow it on somebody who's just going to make us respectable. Do you want to be Purdue? You've just described their expectations
That's reasonable at AR LR or IU, but not at Tx Tech. I get what you want to see, but it's just not realistic coming into a situation like that. You've got to have the resources and support of the big boys in conference to defeat them year in year out. Again, this was Baylor's first conf title since like 1959. The only programs that could have the kind of results you want to see in the Big 12 are KS and TX... that's it.

I don't see the fascination with him and I don't give a rat's ass if he was an assistant for RMK. What I do care about is that I see a lot of things in his system that are similar to what AM was trying to do. Yes, he's a vastly better coach, but I'm leery of these system type coaches. What he is doing may not translate to the B10 any better than was AM was doing
What’s with you and “systems?” Every coach has a “system.”

none of that matters to our fan base. A barely above .500 won’t cut it. His style of play will drive our fans nuts and a 6 game losing streak in conference? Sounds pretty familiar.

His style of play at Arkansas is exactly what I'd like to see or Pitino's UK teams
nowadays many people would have labeled Nolan's D a "system" by the way, as he like to mix things up and throw in a press.

none of that matters to our fan base. A barely above .500 won’t cut it. His style of play will drive our fans nuts and a 6 game losing streak in conference? Sounds pretty familiar.
Again, you're taking away the 2 best years out of a field of 5, and the first was retooling. Any coach is a gamble, but it's reasonable to expect that with greater resources, bigger budget and a school who's focus is bball would yield better results. Style of play is totally irrelevant, imo, if we win. WI and UVA fans have no problem getting behind their teams because they win. IU fans would appreciate the system and defense, if that produces W's at a high enough rate. Folks, including yourself, are just frustrated because Archie didn't produce enough Ws.

Outside of Donovan, who has won at a high level at a P5 school, every one is a gamble, Beilein included. Even BS, who I think we all would welcome, hasn't done it at a P5 school. He was killing it in the Horizon League for goodness sake. You think if you'd dropped BS at Tx Tech, he'd have had them winning a conference title in year 1, or had markedly better results than Beard? Beard's been a winner who's produced elevated results every where he's gone. He's likely as sure a bet as we're going to get. That's what makes it so tough, ultimately you've got to sit down with and interview all these guys and take your best guess about who will do the best.

I always go back to Dan Monson. There was no brighter star or surer bet when he went to MN, and yet it still didn't work out there.

Last edited:
nowadays many people would have labeled Nolan's D a "system" by the way, as he like to mix things up and throw in a press.
I was mostly full court press always and if they couldn't turn you over and it goes to half court then man, similar to Pitino's best UK teams. I just don't want a coach that cannot adapt to the game or the situation in-game and mix things up if necessary. Same with offense, I'd like a team that could run or bang depending on the opponent, like an MSU or ILL

Again, you're taking away the 2 best years out of a field of 5, and the first was retooling. Any coach is a gamble, but it's reasonable to expect that with greater resources, bigger budget and a school who's focus is bball would yield better results. Style of play is totally irrelevant, imo, if we win. WI and UVA fans have no problem getting behind their teams because they win. IU fans would appreciate the system and defense, if that produces W's at a high enough rate. Folks, including yourself, are just frustrated because Archie didn't produce enough Ws.

Outside of Donovan, who has won at a high level at a P5 school, every one is a gamble, Beilein included. Even BS, who I think we all would welcome, hasn't done it at a P5 school. He was killing it in the Horizon League for goodness sake. You think if you'd dropped BS at Tx Tech, he'd have had them winning a conference title in year 1, or had markedly better results than Beard? Beard's been a winner who's produced elevated results every where he's gone. He's likely as sure a bet as we're going to get. That's what makes it so tough, ultimately you've got to sit down with and interview all these guys and take your best guess about who will do the best.

I always go back to Dan Monson. There was no brighter star or surer bet when he went to MN, and yet it still didn't work out there.
No I’m not. .500 in conference play ain’t going to be close. Stop looking at his 2 runs. That’s half the story.

No I’m not. .500 in conference play ain’t going to be close. Stop looking at his 2 runs. That’s half the story.
I'm not projecting a 500 in conference record at IU for Beard, I'm saying with better resources, budget and commitment, he could achieve better results at IU. For comparison sake, while at TT, RMK twice had losing conference records and is overall record was 53 and 49 in 7 seasons for a 52% winning percentage. Beard is 49-40 for 55%. The same results and winning percentage at IU wouldn't cut it, but I believe he's shown he can coach and win at a higher rate.

I'm not projecting a 500 in conference record at IU for Beard, I'm saying with better resources, budget and commitment, he could achieve better results at IU. For comparison sake, while at TT, RMK twice had losing conference records and is overall record was 53 and 49 in 7 seasons for a 52% winning percentage. Beard is 49-40 for 55%. The same results and winning percentage at IU wouldn't cut it, but I believe he's shown he can coach and win at a higher rate.
Yeah ok....I host don’t see the “hype”. If 20 wins a year .560 in conference and a tournament run or two is what you accept.

Yeah ok....I host don’t see the “hype”. If 20 wins a year .560 in conference and a tournament run or two is what you accept.
well, you're just not accepting that he's done it at a lesser school in a greater conference. Imagine if he'd come in and taken NB to the NC game, an elite 8, and never finished below 500 overall and only in his first year within conference, in just 5 years. Think they'd be happy? That's more equivalent to what hes done at TT.

As I've said in other posts, there are no sure things, and to me, Donovan would be the closest thing because he's got proven results at a P5 school, including NCs. Beyond that, you can pick apart every other candidate, including Stevens, by saying he's never done it at a P5 school. That's why I've always maintained, cast a wide net, interview/interrogate/research every viable candidate and in the end, you have to pick one that you believe will do the best. I believe Beard should be in that group of candidates if he has any interest at all.

Chris Beard would be the perfect hire. Period and end of story. He’s a Knight guy and an outsider. Knight people like me would respect his style and knowledge and the rest of the fan base would like his calm demeanor. He has done wonders at Texas tech and is a proven winner.
Beard‘s scheduled to make $5.4 mil next year at Tech. In addition to the buyout it will take Coach K and Calapari type compensation.

Reactions: kkott
Yeah, but with the exception of those 2 years and 1 year at Arkansas Little Rock, his results seem to be of the 20-12 or 19-13 variety or worse. That's sneaking into the tourney in normal times and historically. That's not good enough in my book.
Watch them play and evaluate how much he gets out of that team. He has a 6’6 that can’t jump and they nearly swept Texas this year and their freak athletes that are all 6’8-6’11. His intense play and strategy are the only reason they aren’t the worst team in the Big12. He or Stevens are the only 2 home run hires. The more you watch his team play, the more you root for how scrappy and smart they play.

Reactions: kkott
Beard would be very good. Stevens, Bennett, and Donovan are the absolute home runs. Beard, Drew, Musselman, and Mack are solid triples. Everyone else is meh.

Hmm... My dad just looked at Chris Beards wiki page and it said he was currently the Head Coach at Indiana University! But I looked a minute or 2 later and it was erased! I got photo proof on phone but it wont let me paste it here!

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Hmm... My dad just looked at Chris Beards wiki page and it said he was currently the Head Coach at Indiana University! But I looked a minute or 2 later and it was erased! I got photo proof on phone but it wont let me paste it here!
You realize anyone can change/modify Wiki. It’s just a troll. They did the same with Brads wiki page.

Reactions: asindc
Watch them play and evaluate how much he gets out of that team. He has a 6’6 that can’t jump and they nearly swept Texas this year and their freak athletes that are all 6’8-6’11. His intense play and strategy are the only reason they aren’t the worst team in the Big12. He or Stevens are the only 2 home run hires. The more you watch his team play, the more you root for how scrappy and smart they play.
So scrappy they strung together a 6 game losing streak.

I have read that Chris Beard is divorced and his ex and 3 young children are nearby in Lubbock and that's a major consideration. Could be BS, who knows, and a fat check can buy a lot of plane tickets. Depends on where his head is at.

someone claimed Scott Drew's said the same yesterday.

Is reliance on scrappy really what what we want for like $8M?

Sounds more to me like someone who can't recruit. How can you not parlay his tournament successes into some high level recruits ... he never did. That is a concern. Even MD leveraged that a bit

That is a complete gamble, and I think nearly all of us don't want to gamble again. We just had to beg for 10M to get us out of our last one. Absolutely, no thanks on Beard. He doesn't have the resume. Were he not connected to Knight in the least, none of us would know who the F he is. If we're gambling, I'm going Fife, or Moser, or Boynton and paying a hell of a lot less.

Those guys are gambles, and I'm OK with gambling with good odds and less commitment. I'm OK with trying that, but I don't think the dude that just bought off AM is F'n around anymore, and there is an expectation of a big name. Let's hope this dude isn't just fascinated with RMK. To be honest, I'd much, much rather be dealt Alford than Beard, and I want neither. I think it will be Matta or Belein and let them construct a good succession staff.

Last edited:
That is a complete gamble, and I think nearly all of us don't want to gamble again. We just had to beg for 10M to get us out of our last one. Absolutely, no thanks on Beard. He doesn't have the resume. Were he not connected to Knight in the least, none of us would know who the F he is. If we're gambling, I'm going Fife, or Moser, or Boynton and paying a hell of a lot less.

Those guys are gambles, and I'm OK with gambling with good odds and less commitment. I'm OK with trying that, but I don't think the dude that just bought off AM is F'n around anymore, and there is an expectation of a big name. Let's hope this dude isn't just fascinated with RMK. To be honest, I'd much, much rather be dealt Alford than Beard, and I want neither. I think it will be Matta or Belein and let them construct a good succession staff.

Chris Beard is just as much a sure thing as Brad Stevens or Bob Knight.

That's like saying, "Look at Knight's record at IU, but don't consider 1973, 1975, 1976, 1981, 1987 or 1993. Other than those years, his results at IU were just ok."

For all of his success, IMO Knight's most amazing coaching job was during the 88-89 season. But on paper, that was "just" a BIG title and a Sweet 16 birth.

You can't just arbitrarily take successful years away from a coach's resume and then judge the results. Some "successful" coaches (like....say, Matt Painter) have never gone to an Elite 8 or Championship game, yet Beard has done exactly that in back-to-back seasons.

Beard wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but even w/o his link to RMK, he's proven himself to be a pretty damned successful coach. IU could do far worse.

Last edited:
Some "successful" coaches (like....say, Matt Painter) have never gone to an Elite 8 or Championship game, yet Beard has done exactly that in back-to-back seasons.

Beard wouldn't necessarily be my first choice, but even w/o his link to RMK, he's proven himself to be a pretty damned successful coach. IU could do far worse.

Good thoughts, and I agree.

Btw, painter has been to an elite 8.

Forget Chris Beard. Get Eric Musselman and that smokin' hot wife of his to Bloomington. If a scrawny little dude like that can get a chick like that, you know he has charisma and some game and can recruit. LOL! In all seriousness I think he's a star, that's who I wanted for Louisville when they hired Chris Mack (I'm fine and thankful for Mack, by the way - during the search I wanted Musselman).

I mean if you look at Beards record other than those two runs in the tournament it’s pretty underwhelming. He doesn’t fit the “cutting edge” mantra of dolson. We will see.
Huh? He has to recruit against. Texas, Kansas, Baylor, for starters. He takes 3-4 new players every year plugs them in and they finish in the top 20, give him some 5 star Indiana High School Talent. Give Beard TJD, Lander, Kaufman, Leal, Brunk, Hunter, Franklin and one other stud and he wins the big ten.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Huh? He has to recruit against. Texas, Kansas, Baylor, for starters. He takes 3-4 new players every year plugs them in and they finish in the top 20, give him some 5 star Indiana High School Talent. Give Beard TJD, Lander, Kaufman, Leal, Brunk, Hunter, Franklin and one other stud and he wins the big ten.
STFU and go back to hibernation.

ADVERTISEMENT