ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get Chris Beard

Bobbyhh

Sophomore
Oct 14, 2007
Chris Beard would be the perfect hire. Period and end of story. He’s a Knight guy and an outsider. Knight people like me would respect his style and knowledge and the rest of the fan base would like his calm demeanor. He has done wonders at Texas tech and is a proven winner.

Chris Beard would be the perfect hire. Period and end of story. He’s a Knight guy and an outsider. Knight people like me would respect his style and knowledge and the rest of the fan base would like his calm demeanor. He has done wonders at Texas tech and is a proven winner.
I think he would be good, but not sure if he aligns with what Dolson is looking for.

Reactions: jet812
How does he not align? If he doesn’t align, then what Dolson is looking for is the wrong guy. He’s a proven winner in a real conference and young and energetic.
Read the article linked in another thread on what he is looking for. That’s what I am referencing. Not saying he doesn’t. Really just wondering.

How does he not align? If he doesn’t align, then what Dolson is looking for is the wrong guy. He’s a proven winner in a real conference and young and energetic.
He's D is said to be similar to Archie's shit line which I can't stand and hope to never see again. He's not a great recruiter and relies to much on transfers. He doesn't have great name recognition either. WE know who he is and that he was connected to Knight, but recruits wouldn't know him or care and why should that be a criteria anyway. I'm just not sold on his one run to the NC ... you know Mike Davis did that too. Take that off his resume and I doubt we'd even know who he is or be considering him. Of the six or seven names we're said to be considering, he's the least appealing to me. I want to see a team with an offense again that can also play good man D, not a scheme used to turn things into an ugly defensive struggle. That scheme is an instant turn off to top talent

He's D is said to be similar to Archie's shit line which I can't stand and hope to never see again. He's not a great recruiter and relies to much on transfers. He doesn't have great name recognition either. WE know who he is and that he was connected to Knight, but recruits wouldn't know him or care and why should that be a criteria anyway. I'm just not sold on his one run to the NC ... you know Mike Davis did that too. Take that off his resume and I doubt we'd even know who he is or be considering him. Of the six or seven names we're said to be considering, he's the least appealing to me. I want to see a team with an offense again that can also play good man D, not a scheme used to turn things into an ugly defensive struggle. That scheme is an instant turn off to top talent
Wow, I live in Dallas and follow him. I know someone whose son plays there. I agree with you that he has Archies demeanor. He is relaxed and well liked. But, he knows the X’s and O’s of the game. He can Coach and he does recruit well for Texas Tech. I challenge you to watch a couple of his games and look at the offense and defense. I think you will have a different opinion. I know basketball and I could see Archies deficiencies right away and I know Chris would take this program back to where we expect it.

Beard also went to the Elite Eight the year before his run to the NC game. He isn’t a flash in the pan coach.

I think Dana Altman could be the guy.
Dana Altman is 62 years old. Is that what we want? Is that who can relate to today’s recruits? I agree with his success but we need someone younger that will be around and relate to these recruits.

Beard also went to the Elite Eight the year before his run to the NC game. He isn’t a flash in the pan coach.
Yeah, but with the exception of those 2 years and 1 year at Arkansas Little Rock, his results seem to be of the 20-12 or 19-13 variety or worse. That's sneaking into the tourney in normal times and historically. That's not good enough in my book.

I actually think he runs what’s now being called “no middle” defense. Which is a man to man based defense that funnels all offensive movement to the baseline. Purdue has played it in the past. Drew just went to it last year because if Beards success with it.

It’s not really a new concept...it’s actually what my college team used 20 some years ago. But in today’s pack line/zone heavy schemes...it could be seen as “cutting edge”.

Ive not watched them a ton, but offensively his teams haven’t “wowed” me.

I see his programs similar to MSU, Pitino Louisville teams, Huggins teams...which is very physical. Very efficient. Not pretty. But very successful come March.

Yeah, but with the exception of those 2 years and 1 year at Arkansas Little Rock, his results seem to be of the 20-12 or 19-13 variety or worse. That's sneaking into the tourney in normal times and historically. That's not good enough in my book.
Do you know anything about Texas tech? They are a football school that could give a flip about basketball. Players don’t want to go there. Before coach knight, they had a lot of losing seasons. The 20-12 and 19-13 is a huge win for that school. Basketball is everyone’s last priority there. If you knew Tech and it’s history, you made the point to hire Chris. Trust me, he is the choice.

Do you know anything about Texas tech? They are a football school that could give a flip about basketball. Players don’t want to go there. Before coach knight, they had a lot of losing seasons. The 20-12 and 19-13 is a huge win for that school. Basketball is everyone’s last priority there. If you knew Tech and it’s history, you made the point to hire Chris. Trust me, he is the choice.
Lol

Beard is doing a great job. I would put him on the short list and I will tell you why:

1.) He is a Knight guy. Mike Davis was never a Knight guy even though he coached for him.

2.) He has shown toughness and defense in his squads.

3.) He has shown he can make a deep tourney run.

4.) He has shown he can land high level talent (even in Lubbock, Tx)

5.) He has had some success recruiting Chicago. That isn't easy, and it means he could do well in the Big cities in the Midwest. Frigging Musselman? People think California kids are going to,come to Indiana? (Dean Garrett not withstanding).

6.) He has coached somewhere long enough to know his success isn't due to landing Seller or Dwayne Wade.

Beard is not my top choice, but he is on the list. Biggest negatives are: all his basketball experience is in the south. Big Ten basketball is a different beast. Secondly, I don't know that he has any interest in moving to Indiana with his family.
Also, he has shown some signs that he may not always win as big as some would like to see on a regular basis.

Beard is doing a great job. I would put him on the short list and I will tell you why:

1.) He is a Knight guy. Mike Davis was never a Knight guy even though he coached for him.

5.) He has had some success recruiting Chicago. That isn't easy, and it means he could do well in the Big cities in the Midwest. Frigging Musselman? People think California kids are going to,come to Indiana? (Dean Garrett not withstanding).

6.) He has coached somewhere long enough to know his success isn't due to landing Seller or Dwayne Wade.

Beard is not my top choice, but he is on the list. Biggest negatives are: all his basketball experience is in the south. Big Ten basketball is a different beast. Secondly, I don't know that he has any interest in moving to Indiana with his family.
Also, he has shown some signs that he may not always win as big as some would like to see on a regular basis.
He's number 2 for me.

I actually think he runs what’s now being called “no middle” defense. Which is a man to man based defense that funnels all offensive movement to the baseline. Purdue has played it in the past. Drew just went to it last year because if Beards success with it.

It’s not really a new concept...it’s actually what my college team used 20 some years ago. But in today’s pack line/zone heavy schemes...it could be seen as “cutting edge”.

I see his programs similar to MSU, Pitino Louisville teams, Huggins teams...which is very physical. Very efficient. Not pretty. But very successful come March.

I don't ever want a regular defensive scheme again. I want talent that can man up, go to whatever the situation or opponent dictates. I'd like us to look like Pitino's UK teams or Nolan's AK teams

I don't buy that. They may be a football 1st school, all Texas universities are. Nonetheless, there is a lot of basketball talent from Texas. If you can't capitalize on a national championship appearance and actually land some of those players, I see that as a problem. It could also be that they play a pretty boring slow it down game that's not exciting to talent.

IDK, I see a lot of AM principles in their style of play ... they just do it better. I don't want to see that style of play here, EVER again. We're supposed to be the Hurrying Hoosiers

And if you watch them at all, his assistant Mark Adams runs every defensive huddle. Adams is 60+ and has never left the state of Texas except for that one year with Beard at Arkansas Little Rock.

If you can’t get Brad then Chris Beard is the next best coach but your gonna have to pay him 8 million a year and even that might not get it done.
I don't see the fascination with him and I don't give a rat's ass if he was an assistant for RMK. What I do care about is that I see a lot of things in his system that are similar to what AM was trying to do. Yes, he's a vastly better coach, but I'm leery of these system type coaches. What he is doing may not translate to the B10 any better than was AM was doing

I believe our next coach is coming to us courtesy of the state of Texas.

It’s 50/50 which one it is. My money is on Scott Drew.

I don't see the fascination with him and I don't give a rat's ass if he was an assistant for RMK. What I do care about is that I see a lot of things in his system that are similar to what AM was trying to do. Yes, he's a vastly better coach, but I'm leery of these system type coaches. What he is doing may not translate to the B10 any better than was AM was doing

Look harder.. I see a lot of Bobby Knight concepts. A coach that holds his player accountable.

don’t think this is a better coach in college basketball personally

Reactions: kkott
Would you drop it with the "systems" crap? Every new innovation has to get a name and is different for awhile until it's adopted. There's nothing wrong with a packline... if you have kids who play it well. There's nothing wrong with Boeheim's zone, if you have the players. We all just want a winner, and whether they do it by outscoring the other team, choking them off from scoring, or figure out some new way to win with a combination of those, that's what counts and what we all want, including yourself. I began the week thinking Dolson was a lackey pencil-pusher who was in over his head (because he was in the AD at IU), but he has impressed me with manning up making a tough call at a tough time and in how he's handling things. I don't believe he's getting a $10-20 million financial commitment out of anyone without laying out a plan for who he believes he can get. Let the process play out and see who we get, but based on the last 24 hours I'm willing to bet it will be the best we've felt about a bball Coach since 1990.

I don't ever want a regular defensive scheme again. I want talent that can man up, go to whatever the situation or opponent dictates. I'd like us to look like Pitino's UK teams or Nolan's AK teams
Nolan coached in Alaska before Arkansas? Man, he did get around!

Reactions: asindc
I mean if you look at Beards record other than those two runs in the tournament it’s pretty underwhelming. He doesn’t fit the “cutting edge” mantra of dolson. We will see.

I mean if you look at Beards record other than those two runs in the tournament it’s pretty underwhelming. He doesn’t fit the “cutting edge” mantra of dolson. We will see.
Not seeing that. I mean a team doesn't get a new coach because their program is doing so well and yet, that I see, he's never had a losing record as a coach, and only 1 conference losing record in his first year at TT. Now, granted, he's been around 500 in conference the last 2 years, but he does play in a big boy conference with a lot of good teams. But, overall he's won at every stop. Definitely someone we should be talking too and I'd say he's in the first tier of candidates that don't have the initials BS or BD, and those 2 are higly unlikely.

Not seeing that. I mean a team doesn't get a new coach because their program is doing so well and yet, that I see, he's never had a losing record as a coach, and only 1 conference losing record in his first year at TT. Now, granted, he's been around 500 in conference the last 2 years, but he does play in a big boy conference with a lot of good teams. But, overall he's won at every stop. Definitely someone we should be talking too and I'd say he's in the first tier of candidates that don't have the initials BS or BD, and those 2 are higly unlikely.
If he has an up and down record like that with no conference championships at IU you and the rest of the fan base would be running him over. He’s neither a home run hire or cutting edge. Just not sold. Oh and that 6 game losing streak at the end of conference is awesome.

Last edited:
If he has an up and down record like that with no conference championships at IU you and the rest of the fan base would be running him over. He’s neither a home run hire or cutting edge. Just not sold. Oh and that 6 game losing streak at the end of conference is awesome.
TT is not to the Big12 what IU is to the B10. They don't expect conference championships with the likes of KS, TX, WVU, etc... looming. This was Baylor's first CC since like 1959. True, the same results at IU would not be OK, but he's been doing more with less, resource wise. It's reasonable to think he'd do more with more.

every coach has a "system"....the issue is...can and will the coach adapt, modify or otherwise adjust his system when its necessary? CAM could not/would not.

Reactions: kkott

Not disputing any of your points, but why would it be a necessity that Musselman recruit California?

every coach has a "system"....the issue is...can and will the coach adapt, modify or otherwise adjust his system when its necessary? CAM could not/would not.
Beards underwhelming style isn’t for us. Dolson made it clear that he wants a different style of play.

Yes, but .500 conference records should rarely happen if h's such a great coach. What I see is other than an E8 and an NC appearance, he's average year is 20-12 or worse. That is not what expect for what we'd pay him. Those are Alford type results. I think people are infatuated with him just cause of Knight assistant, but that's absurd. I want a coach where we can expect to win 25+ every year, more in good years, less in bad, but 20-12 would be a bad year by my standard and that's his best record at A&M out side of the NCAA runs

I have no inside info at all, but am a tech alum so obviously biased. I think the thought of Beard leaving for IU is an extreme longshot. This isn't meant to be disrespectful, but the handful of jobs I could see him leaving for is UNC, Duke (who will probably hire a guy from the K tree), Kentucky, or Kansas. He's been in Texas essentially his entire career, his daughters live barely over an hour from Lubbock which is a big deal to him, he is recently engaged to a lady from Lubbock, he just designed a brand new state of the art practice facility that opened less than 6 months ago, he is already in top 5 paid coaches in the county, and he can essentially do no wrong in the eyes of the people there. Also, Tech fans like to win, everyone says we are a "football school" but to be blunt, and as much as it pains me, we haven't been relevant in football in over a decade. The basketball and baseball teams are actually far and away the most popular sports on campus. Again, not trying to kick the hornets nest, just offering up a look from a different perspective.

Appreciate the perspective. I think some here are advocating for Beard in part because he was a Knight assistant. I prefer a more offense-minded coach myself.

Yes, but .500 conference records should rarely happen if h's such a great coach. What I see is other than an E8 and an NC appearance, he's average year is 20-12 or worse. That is not what expect for what we'd pay him. Those are Alford type results. I think people are infatuated with him just cause of Knight assistant, but that's absurd. I want a coach where we can expect to win 25+ every year, more in good years, less in bad, but 20-12 would be a bad year by my standard and that's his best record at A&M out side of the NCAA runs. The B10 is better than the B12, so don't give the we'll he plays in the B12 stuff as an excuse for 20-12 and .500 cnference

ADVERTISEMENT