ADVERTISEMENT

Time for: Who’s next S/C Leader?

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I hate losing our guys, but get the move for them and also don’t think any one person is bigger than a program.

Anyone know if incumbent staff has rising talent? I.e. a Sheridan who learned for two years under Ballou & Rhea?

With salary they had and all the training staffs around the country, if we don’t have a stud in house, surely our job, which just sent someone to Alabama, is a plum job now too.

No looking backward...Onward!

I hate losing our guys, but get the move for them and also don’t think any one person is bigger than a program.

Anyone know if incumbent staff has rising talent? I.e. a Sheridan who learned for two years under Ballou & Rhea?

With salary they had and all the training staffs around the country, if we don’t have a stud in house, surely our job, which just sent someone to Alabama, is a plum job now too.

Coach Danison has a nice resume, so he is my pick

. Unfortunately, I think Ballou/Rhea's system is proprietary. We'll have all the infrastructure (ie equipment, etc) in place, but I'm not sure if they shared their brainchild with anyone else.

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/rick-danison-ii/2608

Since CTA sometimes goes back to that Ole Miss well, I checked to see where Paul Jackson is these days. He just took over the position at South Carolina in December for $450,000/year; so, not likely.

I'm sorry, but I'm still a little bitter about this. Don't want to be looking backward but....you know...we just can't have anything nice, can we? Sigh....

There's a great cross-fit gym down the street from my house. But I think all of the boys would have to get divorced before they could join. :D

I thought infidelity and divorce was just apart of the cross fit program?

Reactions: Sonap and TMFT
I hope one of the assistant S&C coaches takes over and continues the program that has worked with Ballou and Rhea, if he leaves. We need a continuation of the program and not a reboot.
I agree 100%. At this point, with Spring Ball starting and the turnover in coaching staff and team leadership, we need continuity more than anything.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think Shane probably represents views of many ex & current players. Surely there is a base of a team there who have been working under Ballou/Rhea who can keep things going well and in fact, maybe step up and add their own twist to things?

I think the harder guy to replace is going to be Dr. Rhea. With the analytics and sports science he focused on. Hopefully they can find someone that can continue that program.

BUT DAVE BALLOU IS 7 FEET TALL AND SHOOTS FIREBALLS FROM HIS EYES AND BOLTS OF LIGHTNING FROM HIS ARCE!!!

Reactions: DANC and midwolfe
So they were working in a vacuum?

Dr. Rhea is a Professor of Kinesiology and developed his system by compiling data over 20 years. Do you really think it's that easy for someone to pick up his life's work? Is he just going to hand over all his hard earned research, regression analysis, techniques? I doubt it.

Perhaps Ballou might impart some info to his Alma mater, but Rhea has no incentive to do that at all.

Dr. Rhea is a Professor of Kinesiology and developed his system by compiling data over 20 years. Do you really think it's that easy for someone to pick up his life's work? Is he just going to hand over all his hard earned research, regression analysis, techniques? I doubt it.

Perhaps Ballou might impart some info to his Alma mater, but Rhea has no incentive to do that at all.

From that article, it seems like Rhea is really transparent with what he is doing, and is more than willing to share with others. Sure, no one else could probably build up and refine the same system from scratch without his data and experience, but he seems like he's willing to share the outcomes of his research, so there really isn't the need to build his system from scratch.

From that article, it seems like Rhea is really transparent with what he is doing, and is more than willing to share with others. Sure, no one else could probably build up and refine the same system from scratch without his data and experience, but he seems like he's willing to share the outcomes of his research, so there really isn't the need to build his system from scratch.
Perhaps. Do you think we could hire him as a consultant until the new staff is up and running? He's been a consultant before.

All of these guys have a system or philosophy that they feel works. I'm not sure Rhea has been anywhere long enough to really know for sure.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

He had about 350,000 reasons to do it. As an employee of the university, he doesn't - or shouldn't - have control over any research he's done. That should be in university databases.

If not, someone isn't doing their job in the IU HR department.

On the bright side, these are the two positions that Indiana football actually pays really well for, so they should get somebody good. They are not the only good strength coaches around. Ballou worked at ND, and I have not heard anything about the strength program going to hell when he left. He was an understudy to Ballis. Maybe get Ballis's current understudy.

He had about 350,000 reasons to do it. As an employee of the university, he doesn't - or shouldn't - have control over any research he's done. That should be in university databases.

If not, someone isn't doing their job in the IU HR department.
I hope you're right!

If Rhea did work on PC's owned by IU, used internet/networks owned by IU, etc. then IU owns some of his intellectual property data. I'm sure he has a copy to take with but I'm confident they are not ripping equipment to the stud and leaving in the middle of the night.
Some act like this move is adversarial. I'm guessing it isn't. I'm also confident that discussions were had with coach. Decisions were not made in a vacuum, both guys are leaving on good terms and will help if asked. That's how professionals confident in their respective abilities handle things.
Go Hoosiers!

If Rhea did work on PC's owned by IU, used internet/networks owned by IU, etc. then IU owns some of his intellectual property data. I'm sure he has a copy to take with but I'm confident they are not ripping equipment to the stud and leaving in the middle of the night.
Some act like this move is adversarial. I'm guessing it isn't. I'm also confident that discussions were had with coach. Decisions were not made in a vacuum, both guys are leaving on good terms and will help if asked. That's how professionals confident in their respective abilities handle things.
Go Hoosiers!
100% agree that is likely how it’s going down, sure hope so.

I think the harder guy to replace is going to be Dr. Rhea. With the analytics and sports science he focused on. Hopefully they can find someone that can continue that program.
I agree with this. I Danelson is that good move him into Ballou’s position and hire a good stats guy that can pick up the good Drs. System and keep it going.

There are many outstanding strength guys out there. Sometimes we get too hung up on change. There is no reason we can’t find someone as competent or better. Again it is getting the players to buy in and to do the work. There is no substitute for hard work.
And this is really where the rubber meets the road in my opinion. There's plenty of good coaches out there, but fans should not pin all of the football programs strength and conditioning successes on only Ballou and Rhea. Remember, this program concept was Allen's idea. This is what he wanted so he brought in guys that would do what he wanted done. Allen isn't leaving so the foundation is still there. He will find someone or someones to run what he wants to accomplish.

I remember when Greg Frey left. So many posters went off the cliff saying we were done in Florida in regards to recruiting. Turns out we got better. I fully expect the same things here. Football players can only run so fast, but Rhea had a unique way to getting guys to max out, but his philosophies are hardly the only ones that have worked over the years to get football players to run fast and max accelerant quicker. And moving weight, well there's a ton of coaches with a lot of theories. Some work, some don't. But again, Ballou is hardly the only coach out there that can get bodies transformed and put guys in the NFL. I don't want to discount their theories and hard work. They helped IU get to a different level than we've been before, but there are several other options out there that can have the same success at IU. It's simply a matter of finding the right fit for Allen vs having a hard time finding anyone someone.

And this is really where the rubber meets the road in my opinion. There's plenty of good coaches out there, but fans should not pin all of the football programs strength and conditioning successes on only Ballou and Rhea. Remember, this program concept was Allen's idea. This is what he wanted so he brought in guys that would do what he wanted done. Allen isn't leaving so the foundation is still there. He will find someone or someones to run what he wants to accomplish.

I remember when Greg Frey left. So many posters went off the cliff saying we were done in Florida in regards to recruiting. Turns out we got better. I fully expect the same things here. Football players can only run so fast, but Rhea had a unique way to getting guys to max out, but his philosophies are hardly the only ones that have worked over the years to get football players to run fast and max accelerant quicker. And moving weight, well there's a ton of coaches with a lot of theories. Some work, some don't. But again, Ballou is hardly the only coach out there that can get bodies transformed and put guys in the NFL. I don't want to discount their theories and hard work. They helped IU get to a different level than we've been before, but there are several other options out there that can have the same success at IU. It's simply a matter of finding the right fit for Allen vs having a hard time finding anyone someone.
I remember when Mallory was hired, one of the first things he said was, the team speed needed to increase, and he worked on doing that. And his method worked. I don't know what it was, but he mentioned something like 'teaching them how to run'.

So, you're right - there are different systems and methods to achieve the same goals.

There are a lot of hard working S&C coaches out there that can improve players that come to IU. As crossfire74 points out it is just a matter of finding coaches that fit into the atmosphere coach Allen is creating. People focus too much on what is lost instead of what a teams still has that can and still be successful. IU has the players necessary and even with depth being hurt a bit the losses doesn't diminish the first line players that can win games. These defections happen when a program is improving especially one that has traditionally been down trodden.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT