Throwback Tourny- Matchup 3- Anna Kournikova vs Elke Sommer

Who ya got?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdhoosier

All-Big Ten
Dec 21, 2001
So Calif
Anna Sergeyevna Kournikova is a Russian former professional tennis player and American television personality. Her appearance and celebrity status made her one of the best known tennis stars worldwide.

Elke Sommer, born Elke Baronin von Schletz, is a German actress, entertainer and artist who starred in many Hollywood films.

youngsters are missing the boat on Elke. But, I never liked Anna. Smoking hot for sure, but only capitalized on her looks and was never much of an upper tier player. Gimme Maria Sharapova over Anna every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Of course, I'm as full of bullshit as anyone, because I like Paige Spiranac. Anna just always seems bitchy to me. I digress... Gimme some Elke!

u-g-PTAEES0.jpg

german-actress-elke-sommer-on-her-way-to-rehearse-for-a-part-in-a-picture-id601767105

DAP17960__69111.1568324040.jpg

julx1iGt_wVpuUfSfcDH1By6KK7EYeRfypKT3P4JgjTFvwJ5t6hjvKTOjUnVjMtktCGpa2ReahXYAvbjh3G6EPySM2r3blKC9m8BLGz0G9khllIjUWAe_HpYaVqVORe3zerijPmIpIXN_Gs9

youngsters are missing the boat on Elke. But, I never liked Anna. Smoking hot for sure, but only capitalized on her looks and was never much of an upper tier player. Gimme Maria Sharapova over Anna every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Of course, I'm as full of bullshit as anyone, because I like Paige Spiranac. Anna just always seems bitchy to me. I digress... Gimme some Elke!

u-g-PTAEES0.jpg

german-actress-elke-sommer-on-her-way-to-rehearse-for-a-part-in-a-picture-id601767105

julx1iGt_wVpuUfSfcDH1By6KK7EYeRfypKT3P4JgjTFvwJ5t6hjvKTOjUnVjMtktCGpa2ReahXYAvbjh3G6EPySM2r3blKC9m8BLGz0G9khllIjUWAe_HpYaVqVORe3zerijPmIpIXN_Gs9
So what you're saying is that since she's not an upper tier player, your preference would be more for someone like Martina Navratilova?

u-g-PTAEES0.jpg

We sure differ on the Kournikova- Sharapova debate. To me Anna was way more attractive than Maria. Never enjoyed the 'ice queen' personality of Maria's either.

No question who was the better player, but if I were to have the option of watching one or the other play a match, give me Anna Kournikova any day.

Reactions: Coach Pete Bell
So what you're saying is that since she's not an upper tier player, your preference would be more for someone like Martina Navratilova?

No, there's certainly a happy medium, but someone who's attractive and successful I find extra attractive. Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, and Maria all come to mind.

SD, I think Maria is actually pretty quiet, but I've seen her in a few interviews and to me she seems interested and thoughtful in answering questions, which is unusual for a star. There was a famous clip too a couple years ago where she was flirty with a reporter and I thought it was funny and showed more personality. On court, she is focused and an ice queen I would agree. As many female tennis players do, she has a great bod too. Anna is gorgeous no doubt, but something in her demeanor or personality turns me off. It's probably that to me, she seems to know it and I perceive it as a bit arrogant or bitchy.

No, there's certainly a happy medium, but someone who's attractive and successful I find extra attractive. Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, and Maria all come to mind.

SD, I think Maria is actually pretty quiet, but I've seen her in a few interviews and to me she seems interested and thoughtful in answering questions, which is unusual for a star. There was a famous clip too a couple years ago where she was flirty with a reporter and I thought it was funny and showed more personality. On court, she is focused and an ice queen I would agree. As many female tennis players do, she has a great bod too. Anna is gorgeous no doubt, but something in her demeanor or personality turns me off. It's probably that to me, she seems to know it and I perceive it as a bit arrogant or bitchy.
Maria has made enough to be a guest ‘shark’ on Shark Tank

But how could you say Anna was not successful as a tennis player? Was she at the Maria/Steffi level? No of course not. But she was still a damn good tennis player; one of the world's best.
And hot. A. F.

Reactions: sdhoosier
But how could you say Anna was not successful as a tennis player? Was she at the Maria/Steffi level? No of course not. But she was still a damn good tennis player; one of the world's best.
And hot. A. F.

Obviously she's successful, but there are tiers within each level. Among top 50 players worldwide ever, she might be one of the least successful on court compared to the amount of publicity she received. But, yes, what she has accomplished in relation to the general population is top shelf.

Obviously she's successful, but there are tiers within each level. Among top 50 players worldwide ever, she might be one of the least successful on court compared to the amount of publicity she received. But, yes, what she has accomplished in relation to the general population is top shelf.

From Wiki:

"she reached No. 8 in the world in 2000. She achieved greater success playing doubles, where she was at times the world No. 1 player. With Martina Hingis as her partner, she won Grand Slam titles in Australia in 1999 and 2002, and the WTA Championships in 1999 and 2000. Kournikova retired at the age of 21 due to serious back and spinal problems, including a herniated disk."

Not a bad career that was cut way short by injuries.

ADVERTISEMENT