ADVERTISEMENT

Throwback Question for Old Timers

TMFT

All-Big Ten
Nov 4, 2019
Or at least that were following football before I was born.

I know the name Tim Wilbur from the IU record books and he always comes up on lists of best all-time players for IU. But according to his college football reference page, he missed the 1981 season (would've been his 4th year had he played).

It seemed strange when I looked it up, but I can't find any old news articles as to why? Injury? Fight with the coach? Personal reasons (if personal, it's not anyone's business what it was)?

And a hoosier huddle post about him mentions that he didn't graduate, which seems odd for someone who was there for 5 years. It also seems odd that someone with his accolades didn't get a shot at the NFL, particularly back then when the draft had like 12 or 15 rounds or something.

I just feel like there's gotta be some interesting stories RE: this guy.

I know the name Tim Wilbur from the IU record books and he always comes up on lists of best all-time players for IU. But according to his college football reference page, he missed the 1981 season (would've been his 4th year had he played).

It seemed strange when I looked it up, but I can't find any old news articles as to why? Injury? Fight with the coach? Personal reasons (if personal, it's not anyone's business what it was)?

And a hoosier huddle post about him mentions that he didn't graduate, which seems odd for someone who was there for 5 years. It also seems odd that someone with his accolades didn't get a shot at the NFL, particularly back then when the draft had like 12 or 15 rounds or something.

I don't have real good insight/answers here...he was pure electricity...after we won the Holiday bowl...according to my dad (who was a physician and tangentially related to the athletic department)...Tim became a bit a of a BMOC...failed classes and was not academically eligible for a year or so...when he did come back...he was out of shape and did not contribute like he did that Holiday Bowl season.

All of this is from a 10 year old's memory...I'm much older now.

I don't recall him missing a year.......

I do remember him as a player. He wasn't a guy that had the innate physical ability to be recruited by an OSU or a Michigan. What he did have was intelligence and a great nose for the ball. I don't remember him being anything special with respect to playing the run.......he played 'center field' and put himself in position to make plays downfield. Also, I believe he started as a CB (?), but finished as a safety(?).

I seem to recall that he was a big time punt returner?

IIRC he was going to be academically ineligible - he might have even flunked out of school altogether. I graduated in the spring of 1981 and moved out of state so I wasn't on campus for the '81 season but I believe this was the situation.

One of my roommates was a walk-on for a couple of seasons while Wilbur was there so I knew several guys who played with him. It was no secret that his academic efforts fell well short of his on-field work.

IIRC he was going to be academically ineligible - he might have even flunked out of school altogether. I graduated in the spring of 1981 and moved out of state so I wasn't on campus for the '81 season but I believe this was the situation.

One of my roommates was a walk-on for a couple of seasons while Wilbur was there so I knew several guys who played with him. It was no secret that his academic efforts fell well short of his on-field work.
Terry Cole II

Reactions: vesuvius13
Played against Tim in intramural basketball at the Hyper. They had a team of football guys.
We killed them (we killed a lot of teams and lost in 4th round of tournament that year) but he was strong as hell and played with a little edge. Lucky for us we had a few Southern Indiana boys combined with some region boys so we played with a lot of edge. What a blast.

I recall that Corso mentioned that he worked real hard to become eligible in '82. He was a good player. I remember Wilbur commenting that the reason he ran so fast was that all the while he was thinking "please don't catch me, please don't catch me." By the way, I guess I'm now officially an "old-timer" but that's okay!

Wilber was an awesome center fielder type safety who had a great nose for picks. Believe he may have had 7 or 8 in a season. He also then may have had a few pick sixes or good run backs.

No recollection of him missing a final season but hearing that I would have said/thought it would have been due to injury.

The other defensive gem from around that era was LB “Stormin Joe Norman.” He was the real deal, but never remember IU ever having a great overall D or good depth.

This current young and growing depth team has more excitement than can remember years.

PS,
I’m not a pure “old timer” but rather was a huge IU fan from about 6th grade, going to games with my dad. Suffered through a lot of losses, some big wins, Liberty bowl game in Memphis through Mallory to Hep/Lynch/Wilson & Allen.

Think Allen has intensity of Mallory & the love of IU of Hep. And never have I seen the IU talent level and growing depth levels what they are now. Exciting to see what’s ahead.

Wilber was an awesome center fielder type safety who had a great nose for picks. Believe he may have had 7 or 8 in a season. He also then may have had a few pick sixes or good run backs.

No recollection of him missing a final season but hearing that I would have said/thought it would have been due to injury.

The other defensive gem from around that era was LB “Stormin Joe Norman.” He was the real deal, but never remember IU ever having a great overall D or good depth.

This current young and growing depth team has more excitement than can remember years.
Joe Norman was one of the best players Indiana has had.

My memory is not what it used to be, but I think I remember Wilbur was a coach's kid from Ben Davis. Quarterback in HS. Was an easy guy to root for at IU because he could turn games with his interceptions. Corso loved the guy and was a hype machine for him...and a lot of his other players too. When he had his issues it just seemed typical of IU - one step forward, two steps back. In my 50+ years of going to Memorial Stadium, that's just the way it's been.

Not much new information, here:
https://hoosierhuddle.com/hoosier-b...yer-cornerback-tim-wilbur-1978-1982/2017/4/28
He is also on Facebook. He is apparently living in Indy and has worked at CDI College.

This. I believe in '77 Coach Wilbur and son won Ben Davis' 1st state championship. They were not a football power until Dullaghan arrived years later.

Reactions: red hornet
Unless BD was in a lower class, which I doubt, Portage won State in '77 in the then largest class, 3A.

Also, completing a 3-peat for the Region and DAC after Merrillville won in '76, Valpo in '75.

This. I believe in '77 Coach Wilbur and son won Ben Davis' 1st state championship. They were not a football power until Dullaghan arrived years later.
Think they won a sectional, which actually was a pretty big deal when you had to qualify to get in the playoffs.

Reactions: vesuvius13

was named a playboy all american, visited the playboy mansion in chicago, immediately lost interest in everything else. can you blame him?

was named a playboy all american, visited the playboy mansion in chicago, immediately lost interest in everything else. can you blame him?
No doubt. I can't imagine what 21 year old me would have done coming off an All-American campaign with two years to go in Bloomington. But I'm sure it would've been fun.

I attended Ben Davis High School during that time period. Not only did Ben Davis have Tim Wilbur, but they had a little known--at the time--foreign exchange placekicker by the name of Morten Andersen.

Andersen made every PAT that year except one. He missed an extra point in the semi-state game that Ben Davis lost to Carmel, which proved to be the losing margin.

Randy Wittman also played at Ben Davis during this same era.

Wilbur was a starting defensive back his sophomore year, which was no small accomplishment in a school with well over 2000 students. He started at quarterback his junior and senior year.

Ben Davis (Wayne township) was still a suburban "township" school at the time before the exodus out of Marion County. The late 70s marked the beginning of continued athletic success for this school.

Unless BD was in a lower class, which I doubt, Portage won State in '77 in the then largest class, 3A.

Also, completing a 3-peat for the Region and DAC after Merrillville won in '76, Valpo in '75.

I attended Ben Davis High School during that time period. Not only did Ben Davis have Tim Wilbur, but they had a little known--at the time--foreign exchange placekicker by the name of Morten Andersen.

Andersen made every PAT that year except one. He missed an extra point in the semi-state game that Ben Davis lost to Carmel, which proved to be the losing margin.

Randy Wittman also played at Ben Davis during this same era.

Wilbur was a starting defensive back his sophomore year, which was no small accomplishment in a school with well over 2000 students. He started at quarterback his junior and senior year.

Ben Davis (Wayne township) was still a suburban "township" school at the time before the exodus out of Marion County. The late 70s marked the beginning of continued athletic success for this school.
Way back in the day, they used to be known as "Band Davis" because their band was superb and were the top band in the state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT