ADVERTISEMENT

Three years ago today....

Kelly_32

All-Big Ten
Dec 12, 2004
...Tom Allen was named head coach.

Three years later we are sitting at 8-4 and 5-4 in the conference.

Heckuva hire by Fred Glass.

I would guess that 98% of Hoosier Nation is thrilled to have Allen as our coach. The remaining 2% will never be happy.

Job well done so far.

I would guess that 98% of Hoosier Nation is thrilled to have Allen as our coach. The remaining 2% will never be happy.

Job well done so far.
I'm not a huge CKW fan but you have to give credit where credit is due. Wilson's the guy who brought Allen to Bloomington in the first place. Kudos to him for that excellent move.

Should we be worried now about South Florida going after Allen? USF just fired Charlie Strong, and Allen was the defensive coordinator there in 2015 before coming to IU. With his contacts there and previous experience that may be more of a worry than FSU.

We went cheap.

We don't have a football only training table.

Fire McRobbie.
What do you base that statement on? And, in this age of trying to provide nutrition to meet the needs of individuals and not have stereotypic food offerings to athletes of particular teams, why do you say this? Finally, why do you advocate the firing of the president of a multi-million dollar academic institution which has several nationally recognized departments, of which athletics is only a part?

Reactions: vesuvius13
I read that one as a joke/jab (sarcasm). :)
Actually, when Bill Lynch was here I had the opportunity to have lunch at the athletic facilities on multiple occasions. There were several teams there at the same time, and the food offerings were numerous. From what I have heard since then, things are still the same and the athletic conditioning/nutrition staff is still there.

Should we be worried now about South Florida going after Allen? USF just fired Charlie Strong, and Allen was the defensive coordinator there in 2015 before coming to IU. With his contacts there and previous experience that may be more of a worry than FSU.
No need to worry. They may go after him, but he's not leaving IU anytime soon.

Coach Allen will get paid, so USF won't be a factor.

Ole Miss isn't a very stable program and they're in a division that's as tough as the B1G East.

Coach Allen will get paid, so USF won't be a factor.

Ole Miss isn't a very stable program and they're in a division that's as tough as the B1G East.
Mississippi was ranked #1 or #2 in the country late in the season five or so years ago. They're a totally different beast. Indiana is a C+ job and Ole Miss is a B, IMO. I'm not pretending to have knowledge one way or the other, but both the USF job and the Ole Miss job have their perks.

Further, as excited as I am about being 8-4, I'm not sure I want us to pony up $4 million for a coach that has yet to beat a ranked team in three years and is 0-12 against four of the six other teams in our division.

Further, as excited as I am about being 8-4, I'm not sure I want us to pony up $4 million for a coach that has yet to beat a ranked team in three years and is 0-12 against four of the six other teams in our division.
I wouldn't worry about Glass giving CTA a "We're Back" contract. He's learned his lesson. Allen will be paid fairly, and will get every incentive to maintain and raise the program's standing. He also needs to leverage the current success to get commitments for his assistants, facilities, and recruitment. That's all part of the foundation he's been building.

I'm not a huge CKW fan but you have to give credit where credit is due. Wilson's the guy who brought Allen to Bloomington in the first place. Kudos to him for that excellent move.

Ditto, PLUS CKW was the one that started the change in culture at IU. In that respect I think he set the table for CTA.

At a historically terrible football school, Allen has won more games in his first 3 seasons than ANY coach in IU history. Yes, you do pony up the $ for that coach.

He should get 3.5 to 4 million. BTN gives us a boat load of money and we have saved a bunch on our staff the last 2 years. You have to pay these guys. They made it to 8-4 a year before really the roster was ready for it. We won every game we should have. Should be 9-3 because MSU played the guy that was on the juice. Should be getting a nice pay day from the Bowl. Would be great for recruiting if we can get to Florida and the Gator Bowl.

Mississippi was ranked #1 or #2 in the country late in the season five or so years ago. They're a totally different beast. Indiana is a C+ job and Ole Miss is a B, IMO. I'm not pretending to have knowledge one way or the other, but both the USF job and the Ole Miss job have their perks.

Job well done so far.

Where’s Feepaw? He hates IU FB winning and hates CTA

Oh that’s right he is BANNED FOR THE SEASON, lol.

I wouldn't worry about Glass giving CTA a "We're Back" contract. He's learned his lesson. Allen will be paid fairly, and will get every incentive to maintain and raise the program's standing. He also needs to leverage the current success to get commitments for his assistants, facilities, and recruitment. That's all part of the foundation he's been building.

$4M is the going rate in the B1G. That actually puts him in the lower half of the B1G. P5 probably averages more than $4M. Like it or not but that is the world we live in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT