ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Ohio State

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
I've only been able to watch Ohio State a limited amount this week but had I been able to see more I think I would have found what we already know. The Buckeyes are pretty good everywhere. Bill Connelly included the Buckeyes as part of the College Football 'Death Star' along with Alabama and Clemson and rightly so. Those programs along with arguably Georgia and LSU basically exist in a parallel universe. Rivals rated 35 5-star prospects in their 2020 recruiting class and more than half of them - 19 - went to the schools just mentioned. And that's the way it is every year.

And by the way O-State has won 23 Big Ten East games in a row - their last loss was to Penn State in 2016.

I know most of you already know that. So the question I have been asking myself this week is this: Does Indiana have a path to victory Saturday?

My hunch is that Ohio State is going to come out throwing haymakers and that they will try to demoralize the Hoosiers early. I suspect that a couple of those initial Buckeye blows will connect. In that scenario I want to see the Hoosiers respond by punching OSU right back in the mouth. I want to see us bow up and say sorry fellas but you've got a war on your hands today. If you thought it was going to be a picnic you're wrong. If we can weather the early storm then that belief that has been carrying us in 2020 will kick in and then at that point anything is possible.

In my estimation the Indiana Offense will need:
  • at least 35 points
  • 100 rushing yards (which I feel is doable)
  • 3 or 4 rushes of 10 yards or more
  • no fumbles lost
  • at least 350 through the air
On defense:
  • keep Ohio State under 50 percent on 3rd down conversions
  • get 3 or 4 stops per half
  • force 2-3 field goals instead of touchdowns
  • limit Ohio State to fewer than five explosive rushes and less than 150 rushing yards
  • Indiana can allow no more than 1 or 2 passing TDs of 20 yards or more
OSU is going to get chunk plays. We need to stop them from getting anything cheap. Don't let 8 yard runs become 28 yard runs. Don't let missed tackles or blown coverages turn a 17 yard pass turn into a 65 yard TD.

We should be able to get some pressure on Fields with our blitz packages. I would say we need 2 to 3 sacks and at least 4 or 5 hurries to see if we can force him into a couple of bad decisions. The Heisman front-runner (in my view) has 11 TDs and 0 Interceptions so far so if he has all day to throw he will pick us apart. He can get yards with his feet but that doesn't seem to be his primary focus. To be honest I'm not sure if a spy is necessary on him or not but I would have that in the arsenal just in case.

One thing we have that they don't (at least to the degree we do) is the LEO factor. People can poo-pooh that but it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I've only been able to watch Ohio State a limited amount this week but had I been able to see more I think I would have found what we already know. The Buckeyes are pretty good everywhere. Bill Connelly included the Buckeyes as part of the College Football 'Death Star' along with Alabama and Clemson and rightly so. Those programs along with arguably Georgia and LSU basically exist in a parallel universe. Rivals rated 35 5-star prospects in their 2020 recruiting class and more than half of them - 19 - went to the schools just mentioned. And that's the way it is every year.

And by the way O-State has won 23 Big Ten East games in a row - their last loss was to Penn State in 2016.

I know most of you already know that. So the question I have been asking myself this week is this: Does Indiana have a path to victory Saturday?

My hunch is that Ohio State is going to come out throwing haymakers and that they will try to demoralize the Hoosiers early. I suspect that a couple of those initial Buckeye blows will connect. In that scenario I want to see the Hoosiers respond by punching OSU right back in the mouth. I want to see us bow up and say sorry fellas but you've got a war on your hands today. If you thought it was going to be a picnic you're wrong. If we can weather the early storm then that belief that has been carrying us in 2020 will kick in and then at that point anything is possible.

• at least 35 points
  • no fumbles lost
On defense:
  • limit Ohio State to fewer than five explosive rushes and less than 150 rushing yards
OSU is going to get chunk plays. We need to stop them from getting anything cheap. Don't let 8 yard runs become 28 yard runs. Don't let missed tackles or blown coverages turn a 17 yard pass turn into a 65 yard TD.

We should be able to get some pressure on Fields with our blitz packages. I would say we need 2 to 3 sacks and at least 4 or 5 hurries to see if we can force him into a couple of bad decisions. The Heisman front-runner (in my view) has 11 TDs and 0 Interceptions so far so if he has all day to throw he will pick us apart. He can get yards with his feet but that doesn't seem to be his primary focus. To be honest I'm not sure if a spy is necessary on him or not but I would have that in the arsenal just in case.

One thing we have that they don't (at least to the degree we do) is the LEO factor. People can poo-pooh that but it makes a difference.
Good post and if you look at the players on the field and their production instead o HS rankings, then the game will be competitive and IU has shown they don't quit in close games. IU has the better secondary this year along with a defensive front that matches up well with OSU's OL. Offensive play calling will be a big factor for IU as we have players that can hurt OSU's defense if our players are put in good situations. Penix has proven he is a great QB when under pressure still completing tough pass when being hit.

1. When Fields transferred to OSU last year, I thought he would have problems playing in the Big Ten. I knew he was highly regarded coming out of High school, but he sat behind Fromm at Georgia, and never received any significant playing time there. I was surprised that he was that good, and didn't seem to have any rust. He is really good.

2. OSU is strong Defensively, but after losing a couple of All Americans and other good players, they can't be as good as last year.

3. So far we have kept Penix under wraps as far as running the ball, which at the very least has kept him Healthy. In this game, I believe we will need several scramble runs or planned runs from him to keep Drives alive.

1. When Fields transferred to OSU last year, I thought he would have problems playing in the Big Ten. I knew he was highly regarded coming out of High school, but he sat behind Fromm at Georgia, and never received any significant playing time there. I was surprised that he was that good, and didn't seem to have any rust. He is really good.

2. OSU is strong Defensively, but after losing a couple of All Americans and other good players, they can't be as good as last year.

3. So far we have kept Penix under wraps as far as running the ball, which at the very least has kept him Healthy. In this game, I believe we will need several scramble runs or planned runs from him to keep Drives alive.

I’m not willing to risk Penix health, to “stay in this game.”

I would rather lose and win the last 3 games.

• at least 35 points
  • no fumbles lost
On defense:

Ohio State is among the best nationally in passing explosiveness. Fields will take more than a few shots downfield. Hopefully we can get in his head by getting to him early.

Not to be lost in the analysis is that we have explosive play-making ability as well. This will be a high-scoring game.

Coming out of high school, Fields was generally considered by local observers to be the better prospect between Fields and Trevor Lawrence. He has as good of an arm, and is a more powerful runner than TL . . . and Lawrence has proved to be an excellent runner in college for a pro-style QB. Fields can have specifically designed runs called for his number . . . kinda like a JT Barrett type but with a Trevor Lawrence type arm.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Pretty good summation.

Defense needs to take the same approach they did against Penn State. Penn State outgained IU and won the ToP 2:1 in both categories. I think there’s a real possibility that happens again Saturday. But IU’s defense remained aggressive and was very opportunistic and turned them over a bunch. Holding them to FG’s instead of TD’s in the red zone is key too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT