ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from the front porch of a curmudgeon

I don’t see much In my area. Very rural
I saw several homes with all the garbage a few weeks ago around Bloomington
I see the flags and bumper stickers pretty regularly still. A heck of a lot more than any Biden stuff. There is a guy who parks in my lot at work who has the whole spiel. Giant sticker in the back window, flag, all that stuff.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
I see the flags and bumper stickers pretty regularly still. A heck of a lot more than any Biden stuff. There is a guy who parks in my lot at work who has the whole spiel. Giant sticker in the back window, flag, all that stuff.
Not my neighborhood. We still have a fair amount of BLM yard signs - to taunt me

The only ones unwilling to admit there is a Trump cult are definitely members.
The first rule of Trump Club is we don’t talk about Trump Club

lol just kidding

donald-trump-2016-election-fans-houses-01.jpg

newFile.jpg

halloween-display.jpg

img-0795___30102209401.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
There are people that go over the top, but it has been awhile since I have seen a flag. Bumper stickers, yeah, I see those.

As far as people going over the top, some of you all have some really short memories.

We have some politicians that get these weird following around them, that stuff tends to die out over time though. This will be the same.

Reactions: DANC
There are people that go over the top, but it has been awhile since I have seen a flag. Bumper stickers, yeah, I see those.

As far as people going over the top, some of you all have some really short memories.

We have some politicians that get these weird following around them, that stuff tends to die out over time though. This will be the same.
Trump love is one thing. These idiots can't even give up an election he got curb stomped in over a year ago.

Trump love is one thing. These idiots can't even give up an election he got curb stomped in over a year ago.
How many people around here still think Trump won because he colluded with the Russians? Again, I know there were the Jan 6 riots and now that makes this the singularly most unique and dangerous thing ever...but...I can point to similar behavior from Hillary supporters, Obama supporters, people of the left, etc. in the past as well. Up to and including rioting.

The difference here is that this is really the first time I can remember "the right" acting like "the left" when they felt disenfranchised. There may be times I don't remember but rioting has not typically been "conservative" behavior in this country, at least not in recent history.

Edit to add: And this is not a challenge to find every obscure riot that you can go find.

How many people around here still think Trump won because he colluded with the Russians? Again, I know there were the Jan 6 riots and now that makes this the singularly most unique and dangerous thing ever...but...I can point to similar behavior from Hillary supporters, Obama supporters, people of the left, etc. in the past as well. Up to and including rioting.

The difference here is that this is really the first time I can remember "the right" acting like "the left" when they felt disenfranchised. There may be times I don't remember but rioting has not typically been "conservative" behavior in this country, at least not in recent history.

Edit to add: And this is not a challenge to find every obscure riot that you can go find.
So, you want to make a claim, but don't want any counterclaim. Fine.

Also, you can count me out of the group that thinks Trump only won because of Russian collusion, but it is a good question...how many around here think he won because of it?

So, you want to make a claim, but don't want any counterclaim. Fine.

Also, you can count me out of the group that thinks Trump only won because of Russian collusion, but it is a good question...how many around here think he won because of it?
You are fine to counterclaim, I frankly am just tired of the narrative. I get it, it is the propaganda of the day, but the idea that what happened on Jan. 6th was a one off event just rings false to me. You are free to believe differently.

So the main thing I believe that occurs on this forum is that we get to see the "other side's" POV. We are not always going to agree with it, but it at least gives a window into what the political opposition is thinking. My view, the people who (wrongly) rioted on Jan. 6th were scary because they aren't supposed to act that way. The videos I posted are how a certain section of the left (the activists and those who follow them) are expected to act. So to me, we have two tiers of what is acceptable. I am supposed to call out what happened on Jan. 6 because Trump is terrible but I also have to accept what happened the previous summer as "mostly peaceful" and the rioting that occurred when Trump won the election in 2016 and again when he was inaugurated in Jan 2017 as democracy in action. Yeah, you will see people say, "well they shouldn't have done that..." Well, that is where I am at with the Jan. 6th protestors, shouldn't have done that but as AOC says, to paraphrase, protests are supposed to make you uncomfortable. As Kamala Harris did, maybe I should be donating to bail them out.

Now you may not agree with my POV and that is fine, but can you at least see just a bit of the hypocrisy in how these different events were covered? "But it was the U.S. Capitol Crazy..." Yeah it was. And I had video of protestors blocking entrances to the inauguration and rioting at the White House which led to the secret service having to take the President of the U.S. to a safe room. That isn't blocking Democracy and interfering with the government? I feel the same type of disappointment with the people who rioted on Jan. 6 as most of the Democrat voters on this board and around the country felt with protestors in Nov. 2016, Jan. 2017, and the summer of 2020. I condemn the Jan 6th protestors for being only mostly peaceful instead of 100% peaceful.

You are fine to counterclaim, I frankly am just tired of the narrative. I get it, it is the propaganda of the day, but the idea that what happened on Jan. 6th was a one off event just rings false to me. You are free to believe differently.

So the main thing I believe that occurs on this forum is that we get to see the "other side's" POV. We are not always going to agree with it, but it at least gives a window into what the political opposition is thinking. My view, the people who (wrongly) rioted on Jan. 6th were scary because they aren't supposed to act that way. The videos I posted are how a certain section of the left (the activists and those who follow them) are expected to act. So to me, we have two tiers of what is acceptable. I am supposed to call out what happened on Jan. 6 because Trump is terrible but I also have to accept what happened the previous summer as "mostly peaceful" and the rioting that occurred when Trump won the election in 2016 and again when he was inaugurated in Jan 2017 as democracy in action. Yeah, you will see people say, "well they shouldn't have done that..." Well, that is where I am at with the Jan. 6th protestors, shouldn't have done that but as AOC says, to paraphrase, protests are supposed to make you uncomfortable. As Kamala Harris did, maybe I should be donating to bail them out.

Now you may not agree with my POV and that is fine, but can you at least see just a bit of the hypocrisy in how these different events were covered? "But it was the U.S. Capitol Crazy..." Yeah it was. And I had video of protestors blocking entrances to the inauguration and rioting at the White House which led to the secret service having to take the President of the U.S. to a safe room. That isn't blocking Democracy and interfering with the government? I feel the same type of disappointment with the people who ruoted on Jan. 6 as most of the Democrat voters on this board and around the country felt with protestors in Nov. 2016, Jan. 2017, and the summer of 2020. I condemn the Jan 6th protestors for being only mostly peaceful instead of 100% peaceful.
What happened in that summer was terrible. I have not seen anyone deny it. But not all protests were violent. I have said the old blue hairs at my church grabbed their walkers and had themselves a little BLM protest march down Meridian. I know because I was there. It looked nothing like your videos. Indianapolis had maybe 2 bad nights. One could argue that the protests were turned violent by far right plants. Who knows? But it sure works as a theory for the other side.

What happened in that summer was terrible. I have not seen anyone deny it. But not all protests were violent. I have said the old blue hairs at my church grabbed their walkers and had themselves a little BLM protest march down Meridian. I know because I was there. It looked nothing like your videos. Indianapolis had maybe 2 bad nights. One could argue that the protests were turned violent by far right plants. Who knows? But it sure works as a theory for the other side.
Downtown Indy got busted up pretty good the first few nights. A former IU football player got shot a few streets away from where the was occurring as well. Yeah, it quieted down after that and was "mostly peaceful" and the counter argument to that would be that only a small percentage of the people protesting on Jan 6 entered the Capitol. Now that is probably little solace because that act pretty much overshadows everything else that happened.

And that is where I was at in the summer of 2020 and kept getting told that the violent stuff was just a small part of what was going on. Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play? There were news people standing in front of burning down buildings talking about "mostly peaceful protests".

Look, I don't agree with what happened on Jan 6. What I have difficulty getting on board with is the idea that what happened is the proof of the horrible Trumpy, right wing being a threat to Democracy. It has spawned domestic terrorism accusations from the government. They need to watch out for those people. Meanwhile a guy with BLM type rhetoric on his social media just tried to assassinate a mayoral candidate and he was bailed out of jail within a few days by a BLM group. I have a problem with the hypocrisy and to be honest, because of the hypocrisy, I am less inclined to be hard on the Jan 6th people. I don't accept the two tier system and as long as it exists, my consternation with bad actors on the right will be similar to the consternation I observe the left having for their bad actors.

We could start by people freaking out a little bit more about what happened and is happening in Louisville. He took a shot at a Democrat and he is back on the streets compliments of BLM. That should give all of us pause.

I know you were responding to Bulk but I'm going to weigh in.

First, I'm not for a second defending the rioters of Summer 2020. The violence and destruction was reminiscent of Watts, Detroit, Newark etc. in the '60s, and the people responsible are dirtbags. But pivoting to the riots of Summer 2020 every time someone brings up January 6 is stupid and a blatantly false equivalence. January 6 has no parallel in American history.

The anti-democratic attack on the United States Capitol was timed to disrupt a joint session of Congress that was in the process of affirming the results of the presidential election. It was fueled by the sitting US president who had lost the election, falsely declared himself to be the victim of a fraudulent election, and was desperately clinging to power.

Watch some of the videos from Jan 6. There are over 500 of them and they're readily accessible on the internet. Listen to the rioters. They attacked the Capitol because they believed that's what Trump wanted them to do. "We were invited here!" "We were invited by the President of the United States!" "I answered the call of my President!" "1776, motherfvckers!"

Here are some other Jan 6 facts:
-More than 725 people, from nearly all 50 states and DC, have been arrested.​
-More than 225 defendants have been charged with assaulting, resisting or impeding officers or employees, including 75 people who have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious bodily injury to an officer.​
-Approximately 140 police officers were assaulted on Jan 6 at the Capitol.​
-At least 275 defendants have been charged with corruptly obstructing, influencing or impeding an official proceeding, or attempting to do so.​
-Approximately 40 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, either: 1) conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding; 2) conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement during a civil disorder; 3) conspiracy to injure an officer; or 4) some combination of the three.​
-The FBI continues to seek to identify more than 350 people believed to have committed violent acts on the Capitol grounds, including over 250 who assaulted police officers.​
-Approximately 165 people have already pleaded guilty to a variety of federal charges.​
You're tired of the narrative? I'm tired of the bullshit false equivalencies and the ongoing attempts by Trumpers to whitewash Jan 6 and the events leading up to it.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC

First, I'm not for a second defending the rioters of Summer 2020. The violence and destruction was reminiscent of Watts, Detroit, Newark etc. in the '60s, and the people responsible are dirtbags. But pivoting to the riots of Summer 2020 every time someone brings up January 6 is stupid and a blatantly false equivalence. January 6 has no parallel in American history.

The anti-democratic attack on the United States Capitol was timed to disrupt a joint session of Congress that was in the process of affirming the results of the presidential election. It was fueled by the sitting US president who had lost the election, falsely declared himself to be the victim of a fraudulent election, and was desperately clinging to power.

Watch some of the videos from Jan 6. There are over 500 of them and they're readily accessible on the internet. Listen to the rioters. They attacked the Capitol because they believed that's what Trump wanted them to do. "We were invited here!" "We were invited by the President of the United States!" "I answered the call of my President!" "1776, motherfvckers!"

-More than 225 defendants have been charged with assaulting, resisting or impeding officers or employees, including 75 people who have been charged with using a deadly or dangerous weapon or causing serious bodily injury to an officer.​
-At least 275 defendants have been charged with corruptly obstructing, influencing or impeding an official proceeding, or attempting to do so.​
-Approximately 40 defendants have been charged with conspiracy, either: 1) conspiracy to obstruct a congressional proceeding; 2) conspiracy to obstruct law enforcement during a civil disorder; 3) conspiracy to injure an officer; or 4) some combination of the three.​
-The FBI continues to seek to identify more than 350 people believed to have committed violent acts on the Capitol grounds, including over 250 who assaulted police officers.​
-Approximately 165 people have already pleaded guilty to a variety of federal charges.​
You're tired of the narrative? I'm tired of the bullshit false equivalencies and the ongoing attempts by Trumpers to whitewash Jan 6 and the events leading up to it.
It's just partisan beliefs that are polar and will never be reconciled Bowl. Jan 6 was a sand grain while the summer of love was a boulder in my eyes. Common ground won't be reached as reasonable minds can disagree. What's more imo the ongoing frivolous claims of the election being stolen month after month and now over a year later by Trump and Reps are far worse and more damaging than the events of Jan 6

Last edited:
Hopefully less than think Trump lost 2020 b/c of election interference.

Hopefully.

It might be a false equivalency to compare 1/6 to the summer riots but it’s so frequently brought up because the Left has done very little to take ownership for what happened. The Woke and Defund movements - borne entirely of the Left - had people so primed to revolt (and cause $1B+ damages and dozens of deaths) that riots were happening over obviously justified police shootings (eg Blake).

There is as much a price to pay for the Trump cultists believing the election was stolen as there is of elected officials creating an anti-police and anti-order “free pass” to revolt in the false name of “social justice.”

Much of the whitewashing Jan 6th is a reaction to idiots calling it the new Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Only the cultists fully whitewash the events which were completely unacceptable and everyone should be held to account.

It might be a false equivalency to compare 1/6 to the summer riots but it’s so frequently brought up because the Left has done very little to take ownership for what happened. The Woke and Defund movements - borne entirely of the Left - had people so primed to revolt (and cause $1B+ damages and dozens of deaths) that riots were happening over obviously justified police shootings (eg Blake).

There is as much a price to pay for the Trump cultists believing the election was stolen as there is of elected officials creating an anti-police and anti-order “free pass” to revolt in the false name of “social justice.”

Whitewashing Jan 6th is a reaction to idiots calling it the new Pearl Harbor or 9/11.
And anti judicial system

Now you may not agree with my POV and that is fine, but can you at least see just a bit of the hypocrisy in how these different events were covered? "But it was the U.S. Capitol Crazy..." Yeah it was. And I had video of protestors blocking entrances to the inauguration and rioting at the White House which led to the secret service having to take the President of the U.S. to a safe room. That isn't blocking Democracy and interfering with the government? I feel the same type of disappointment with the people who rioted on Jan. 6 as most of the Democrat voters on this board and around the country felt with protestors in Nov. 2016, Jan. 2017, and the summer of 2020. I condemn the Jan 6th protestors for being only mostly peaceful instead of 100% peaceful.
1/6 was definitely not a one-off event.

Much of the whitewashing Jan 6th is a reaction to idiots calling it the new Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Only the cultists fully whitewash the events which were completely unacceptable and everyone should be held to account.
I agree with some of what you've said. And I'd add that the government was obviously not on the verge of collapse that afternoon. But the post-election Big Lie, the draft executive orders calling for the seizing of voting machines, the calls to (and pressure placed on) local elections offficials, the other events that precipitated 1/6 (and I don't think we know the half of it at this point), the fact that the US Capitol was breached, and the fact that the president watched on TV - - in likely delight - - for over three hours before "lovingly" telling the rioters to go home should be a wake-up call for every clear-thinking person. I had always taken American democracy for granted. I won't anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark and DANC
I agree with some of what you've said. And I'd add that the government was obviously not on the verge of collapse that afternoon. But the post-election Big Lie, the draft executive orders calling for the seizing of voting machines, the calls to (and pressure placed on) local elections offficials, the other events that precipitated 1/6 (and I don't think we know the half of it at this point), the fact that the US Capitol was breached, and the fact that the president watched on TV - - in likely delight - - for over three hours before "lovingly" telling the rioters to go home should be a wake-up call for every clear-thinking person. I had always taken American democracy for granted. I won't anymore.
Let’s hope that was the global low and it’s nothing but better days from here out.

But the lesson is that words matter from our so-called leaders. Giuliani’s words and Trump’s words mattered for what happened that day. All of the anti-police chatter, and playing the race card for everything from the Left and presumption of guilt from the current VP mattered.

Let’s hope that was the global low and it’s nothing but better days from here out.

But the lesson is that words matter from our so-called leaders. Giuliani’s words and Trump’s words mattered for what happened that day. All of the anti-police chatter, and playing the race card for everything from the Left and presumption of guilt from the current VP mattered.
Words matter more than they should. Our education system is turning out people steeped in dogma. The real world is slouching towards conformity and obedience. In a world of people being offended, retreating to safe spaces, free speech zones, ignore buttons, mainstream science, and oppressing selected expression, words are less likely to be met with individual resistance to bullshit,

Words matter more than they should. Our education system is turning out people steeped in dogma. The real world is slouching towards conformity and obedience. In a world of people being offended, retreating to safe spaces, free speech zones, ignore buttons, mainstream science, and oppressing selected expression, words are less likely to be met with individual resistance to bullshit,
That’s all fine and dandy but our so-called leaders have an obligation to lead and Not lead us into chaos for political expediency. In the last two years both parties failed us terribly.

Our inner city public schools are turning out the expected product of years of budget cutting and focusing almost completely on GOP backed state standardized reading and math tests...to the detriment of critical thinking, problem-solving, science, social studies, and all the electives (PE, vocational education, art, music, etc).

Reactions: UncleMark
Our inner city public schools are turning out the expected product of years of budget cutting and focusing almost completely on GOP backed state standardized reading and math tests...to the detriment of critical thinking, problem-solving, science, social studies, and all the electives (PE, vocational education, art, music, etc).
How is the GOP responsible for inner city schools?

Are you talking about christian based private schools? that sounds a lot like the one i pulled my kids out of a few years ago

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
That’s all fine and dandy but our so-called leaders have an obligation to lead and Not lead us into chaos for political expediency. In the last two years both parties failed us terribly.
Popularity contests breed preeners. Social media is like pouring gasoline on a fire.

That is where I am at. You did a better job of articulating the viewpoint than I did.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
People get so offended by what people say nowdays. Personally, I go by actions, not words. It's easy to talk.

It's like freedom of speech isn't written into the Constitution or something.....

ADVERTISEMENT