ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts After a Poor Nights Sleep

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
Can still win 9. Whodathunk it? A pretty good third year.

We have beaten the teams we should have and won 4 we coulda lost.

Hindsight, Nebraska win looks a shade better.

Hindsight, MSU loss looks a shade worse.

With no injuries, we .... never mind, dream on, depth matters. Team sport.

Hindsight, I over-sold the meaning of the prior Michigan losses. They were a legit Top 10. Their WRs and DBs were better than ours, and their pressure on Ramsey was better than our pressure on Patterson. They whupped us. Can’t put lipstick on that pig.

We’re good, but not elite. BUT, on our best day, with our A game, we could beat any team in the East except Ohio State. I believe that.

But my goal is a Big Ten Championship, so we gotta keep getter better. THIS roster has to win some bigger games next year to keep it going.

Let’s start Saturday.

POTFB

I do fancy next year's schedule, at least the part after our opener in Madison. There's a portion that just might allow us an opportunity to win five or six in a row. We could roll into our home conference game against Penn State sporting a nice 6-1 record. If Penix is lights out and stays HEALTHY, a 7-0 start is actually on the table for legitimate discussion.

That excites me to a terrible degree! I can somehow imagine a laser armed Michael Penix leading IU to a road victory in the opener against plodding Wisconsin.

Hindsight, I over-sold the meaning of the prior Michigan losses. They were a legit Top 10. Their WRs and DBs were better than ours, and their pressure on Ramsey was better than our pressure on Patterson. They whupped us. Can’t put lipstick on that pig.

We’re good, but not elite. BUT, on our best day, with our A game, we could beat any team in the East except Ohio State. I believe that.

But my goal is a Big Ten Championship, so we gotta keep getter better. THIS roster has to win some bigger games next year to keep it going.

Let’s start Saturday.

POTFB
Nebraska killing an abysmal Maryland team (they've allowed 350 points in B1G play) makes IU's win over Nebraska look better?

I'm not sure I follow that logic.

In the context of the Power 5 schools, IU is around average. That's a pretty good outcome for IU football. To make the step to "good" at the Power 5 level, the roster needs to be upgraded pretty significantly (like 10-15 additional "depth" guys), and Penix needs to get and stay healthy.

Lotta work left to do, but a pretty good foundation in place.

Nebraska killing an abysmal Maryland team (they've allowed 350 points in B1G play) makes IU's win over Nebraska look better?

In the context of the Power 5 schools, IU is around average. That's a pretty good outcome for IU football. To make the step to "good" at the Power 5 level, the roster needs to be upgraded pretty significantly (like 10-15 additional "depth" guys), and Penix needs to get and stay healthy.

We just need to get a little bit better everywhere

Reactions: vesuvius13

The rap we'll get for this season will always be "yeah, but you didn't beat any teams with a winning record (assuming Neb loses to Iowa next week)."

And that's absolutely true ... but just beating the teams you should beat is a HUGE step for IU football. How many seasons of the past 10 have been derailed because of some game we should've won but didn't? Plus, a lot of them weren't close wins. This squad hammered the dregs of the league, especially at home. Past teams typically won those in squeakers.

Things are moving in the right direction. Just gotta keep taking the next step. This year that still includes taking back the Bucket and finishing with a winning conference record.

Just that Michigan only put 38 on Maryland, while Nebraska put 54 on them.

Nebraska is sloooowly getting better, but we’re a couple of steps ahead

Reactions: vesuvius13 and IU73
Just that Michigan only put 38 on Maryland, while Nebraska put 54 on them.

Nebraska is sloooowly getting better, but we’re a couple of steps ahead
IU only put 34 on Maryland.

If Nebraska is slowly improving, and IU beat Nebraska a month ago, and Nebraska scored a lot more against Maryland than IU did a month+ ago, and Nebraska lost 4 straight (including to IU) before beating Maryland a lot worse than IU did, and Michigan rolled IU pretty hard in Bloomington, are you thinking Nebraska would beat IU?

Or does Maryland just stink, and is Nebraska not too good (though certainly better than Maryland), and is IU decent, but still with a pretty significant amount of ground to cover before they can compete with the Top 5 in the B1G (with OSU, Michigan, Wiskie, and Penn St typically in that mix yearly and other schools like Minnie or Northwestern or Iowa moving in and out)?

I think the latter, but what do I know?

Reactions: Rakkasan29

If Nebraska is slowly improving, and IU beat Nebraska a month ago, and Nebraska scored a lot more against Maryland than IU did a month+ ago, and Nebraska lost 4 straight (including to IU) before beating Maryland a lot worse than IU did, and Michigan rolled IU pretty hard in Bloomington, are you thinking Nebraska would beat IU?

Or does Maryland just stink, and is Nebraska not too good (though certainly better than Maryland), and is IU decent, but still with a pretty significant amount of ground to cover before they can compete with the Top 5 in the B1G (with OSU, Michigan, Wiskie, and Penn St typically in that mix yearly and other schools like Minnie or Northwestern or Iowa moving in and out)?

Indiana did compete very well with Penn State just last Saturday. Indiana can not compete with those teams without their best players, though. Ramsey got hurt yesterday, Scott got hurt and Bedford was knocked out. Obviously Philyor's absence was a big negative.

My opinion only, but if IU could've gone into the Penn State game with Penix healthy, they absolutely win that game. Ramsey TORCHED Penn State, so it's VERY safe to assume Michael Penix would've done significant damage to those people.

Indiana needs to keep its best players healthy. If that's an impossibility, they need to recruit better overall depth and develop the current roster.

Let’s start Saturday.

POTFB

I had a good excuse for missing the game.....picking my son up from the airport. But I didn't mind because I had a very bad feeling going into the game....... I thought they'd steamroll us with their running game, at least in the 2nd half. I also expected a couple of long completions to their tall WRs, but 366 yds and 5 TDs was a bit shocking....

As you pointed out elsewhere, our DL played hard against the run....the secondary just couldn't make any plays. No pass rush hurt. And Patterson proved he can be effective if not rushed. 4 of 5 of those TD passes were really good throws. I guess he knew what he was talking about....ie...not having to worry much about Indiana. He definitely got the last laugh.

I watched the taped game later......did Jamar Johnson & Jaylin Williams play? Didn't notice them. Are they hurt? Layne is very good against the run but sucks as a cover guy. Reece has been a disappointment.

I watched some of that Maryland-Nebraska game. Maryland's effort level was 1 out of 10. That coaching choice is looking like a disaster right now. I was reminded of a low-level bowl game involving 2 disappointing teams........the question being whether either team is interested in playing. For whatever reason, Nebraska was ready to play from the opening gun. Maryland's players would rather have been at the beach (even when its 42*).

Looking ahead to next year, Rutgers & Maryland look like the the Big Ten's two worst teams. Maryland has some injured talent coming back. and potentially a pretty good recruiting class, but Locksley's going to have to show he has a clue about running a team.............

Reactions: 76-1 and ovaltine
Indiana did compete very well with Penn State just last Saturday. Indiana can not compete with those teams without their best players, though. Ramsey got hurt yesterday, Scott got hurt and Bedford was knocked out. Obviously Philyor's absence was a big negative.

My opinion only, but if IU could've gone into the Penn State game with Penix healthy, they absolutely win that game. Ramsey TORCHED Penn State, so it's VERY safe to assume Michael Penix would've done significant damage to those people.

Indiana needs to keep its best players healthy. If that's an impossibility, they need to recruit better overall depth and develop the current roster.
Every football team has injuries, especially 10 or 11 games into the season, playing through them is is critical, which is why improving the team's depth is so critical if IU is going to move from a middle-of-the-pack team to something better. That's a REALLY tough step to take.

IU played very well against Penn St, but they were coming off a tough loss to Minnie and had to look forward to playing OSU yesterday, so maybe looking past IU a bit was not surprising. IU's inability to compete at home with the higher level teams in the B1G at home illustrates how far IU has to go in building out their roster.

This has been a fun team to watch, though, that's won the games they should win, and won at Nebraska, which was really cool even if Nebraska is not very good. But they left money on the table at Michigan State (MSU is not very good, either, especially on offensive), and they didn't compete against OSU and Michigan at home.

Like I said, still a lotta work to do, but there's a decent foundation in place.

Ramsey wins the most courageous player of the year award, no doubt, but a big part of why he takes huge hits is his lack of decisiveness and awareness in the pocket. The most glaring example of this was the NW game, after Penix got hurt. PR gets sacked on his first passing attempt and had problems dealing with the pressure thereafter..........Penix had also been pressured but was able to move around in the pocket and/or get rid of the ball more quickly. Our DL against their DL, our OL v. their DL, and Penix being out made this game a very probable loss from the get-go.

Reactions: Indianaftw

I think we could/ should have competed with everyone on the schedule except for OSU. The offense is severely hamstrung by injury issues.

The defense has been awful all season against average or above opponents. 99% of the issues are on that side of the ball. Allen baked his chops as a DC. The hiring of DeBoer has brought major offensive improvement. Wommack was another Debored type hire and we see the results. Twice now Allen has made a buddy hire. It doesn't work. We need another DeBoer level replacement on tbe opposite side of the ball.

Reactions: td75 and ovaltine
I think we could/ should have competed with everyone on the schedule except for OSU. The offense is severely hamstrung by injury issues.

The defense has been awful all season against average or above opponents. 99% of the issues are on that side of the ball. Allen baked his chops as a DC. The hiring of DeBoer has brought major offensive improvement. Wommack was another Debored type hire and we see the results. Twice now Allen has made a buddy hire. It doesn't work. We need another DeBoer level replacement on tbe opposite side of the ball.
Sparty and State Penn were winnable games. IU shot themselves in the foot, though. IU competed with UM for a little more than a half. The OSU game wasn't competitive.

I agree that IU doesn't have the Jimmy's and Joe's and depth of said 4 teams. OSU, Sparty, and State Penn recruit extremely well. It would be nice to go 3-4 deep with 4 and 5* players. IU just can't afford to lose guys like Penix and Stevie and compete with these teams. I would also agree that IU is taking steps in the right direction. Getting the Bucket would be very nice.

Ramsey wins the most courageous player of the year award, no doubt, but a big part of why he takes huge hits is his lack of decisiveness and awareness in the pocket. The most glaring example of this was the NW game, after Penix got hurt. PR gets sacked on his first passing attempt and had problems dealing with the pressure thereafter..........Penix had also been pressured but was able to move around in the pocket and/or get rid of the ball more quickly. Our DL against their DL, our OL v. their DL, and Penix being out made this game a very probable loss from the get-go.
Knew someone would get around to blaming Ramsey for the loss.

Reactions: DANC

Over react much?

The reason why IU got hit with injuries is because they are playing games that matter against the big boys. Guys don't get beat up playing UCONN and Maryland. The powderpuff schedule allowed IU to get on a roll, and they had 2 weeks to prepare for Penn State.

It's no surprise that you are beat up now that you have played back to back games against teams that are bigger, stronger and meaner than IU.

The reason why IU got hit with injuries is because they are playing games that matter against the big boys. Guys don't get beat up playing UCONN and Maryland. The powderpuff schedule allowed IU to get on a roll, and they had 2 weeks to prepare for Penn State.

It's no surprise that you are beat up now that you have played back to back games against teams that are bigger, stronger and meaner than IU.

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here. Football is a physical game. All teams have guys that hit and freak injuries happen all the time.

Your best player on defense, Bailey, tore his ACL in a non-contact drill. Moore got hurt making a cut.
Our best WR went out not because of a “hard hitting team” but because of an illegal hit. Any team can do that but only Penn State could get away with it.
Purdue fans keep talking about injuries and the schedules you haven’t even played OSU or Michigan. You had Nevada and Vanderbilt for God’s sake! TCU is respectable, I guess. The in-conference schedules are comparable but OSU is better than any team in the conference.

Are you really going to make a case on the basis of Nevada and Vanderbilt?

Please.

That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here. Football is a physical game. All teams have guys that hit and freak injuries happen all the time.

Your best player on defense, Bailey, tore his ACL in a non-contact drill. Moore got hurt making a cut.
Our best WR went out not because of a “hard hitting team” but because of an illegal hit. Any team can do that but only Penn State could get away with it.
Purdue fans keep talking about injuries and the schedules you haven’t even played OSU or Michigan. You had Nevada and Vanderbilt for God’s sake! TCU is respectable, I guess. The in-conference schedules are comparable but OSU is better than any team in the conference.

Please.
The butthurt is strong in this one.

IU played Maryland before their collapse and Nebraska played them after their collapse. IU will need to get better and the recruiting class coming in is better on average than last year's class. Too many people look at the total ranking instead of the average rate for players.

What about all the other injuries?

Moore got tripped by a MN DB.
Sindelar got crushed
Plummer got crushed
Fuller got a helmet to the chin
Sheffield broken leg
Beach injured back
The list goes on.....all resulting from playing tough football

Illegal hit? OK Hard ass hits happen against good teams. Sometimes they get called, usually they don’t

What about Scott and Ramsey? Both also banged up....coincidently when IU finally played some big games...

TCU is a texas team with a ton of talent and they play big boy football.

Vandy aren’t world beaters but they are an SEC team.

Purdue has played the 16th toughest SOS in the country

They aren’t UCONN, Ball State and Eastern Illinois

I called this on the Purdue board 3 weeks ago
What rating service? I just looked at 4 different ones. Perdue wasn't in the top 30, but Indiana was. Sorry just found a few that has Boilers in top 25. Southern Pigskin has them 11. These sos are all over the board.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13
Sports Reference College Football
Yes, I found that one if you look at my amended post. Big difference in rankings. Among different services, also among preseason and the season rankings. The end of the season is best for ranking schedules.

2nd. Martinez was horrible vs. Purdue

AQUOTE="guidelinesa2, post: 2797033, member: 60461"]Didn’t IU play Nebraska without Martinez? They were playing their 3rd stringer right?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Didn’t IU play Nebraska without Martinez? They were playing their 3rd stringer right?
So you bought the hype about Martinez?

That guy SUCKS as QB. He wouldn't be 3rd string at IU.

I wish he had played against us - we'd have won by a much greater margin.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Blame? For saving the program? Brohm has been the best thing to happen to the program since Tiller.

8 wins was contingent on Moore and Neal being back, along with Sindy and Bailey. These were our 4 most important players. Beach was also important and he hasnt been healthy all year either.

Lets see how many wins IU has all season without your all 5 of your top players and another 15 out for good measure.

You will learn the price for good coaching very soon me thinks. You think you will be able to hang onto your OC for another year?
Lol. Brohm hasn't done anything to differentiate himself from Danny Hope and he costs 3 times as much. According to how Hope was treated, one more crappy year and Brohm should be canned. Bottom line: the man is paid almost $7 million a year to coach. 4-7 is not acceptable.

Every team has injuries, including IU.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Blame? For saving the program? Brohm has been the best thing to happen to the program since Tiller.

8 wins was contingent on Moore and Neal being back, along with Sindy and Bailey. These were our 4 most important players. Beach was also important and he hasnt been healthy all year either.

Lets see how many wins IU has all season without your all 5 of your top players and another 15 out for good measure.

You will learn the price for good coaching very soon me thinks. You think you will be able to hang onto your OC for another year?
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas. Every program has injuries...you all have had more than your fair share, but you won't get IU fans feeling sorry for you on that front.

So I'm sure you also factored in David Bell being this good this early, along with Milton and several other freshman. Players get hurt, someone else has to step up. Adapt. Overcome. Persevere.

Brohm is a good coach. Allen looks to be a good coach. We're paying about $200k per victory vs $2mm per.

Lol. Brohm hasn't done anything to differentiate himself from Danny Hope and he costs 3 times as much. According to how Hope was treated, one more crappy year and Brohm should be canned. Bottom line: the man is paid almost $7 million a year to coach. 4-7 is not acceptable.

Every team has injuries, including IU.

I was there for the Hope years...and honestly, Im not sure why you think you know more about the Hope regime vs the Brohm regime than Boiler fans....

Hope inherited a program that was still in relatively good shape, and he degraded it. He had some big wins, but his teams were never well coached. Brohm picked up an absolute corpse of a football program and breathed new life into it. Not sure why Hoosier fans care so much about his salary, he is bringing in fans and filling the stadium, hes paying for himself

Reactions: reabhnt
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas. Every program has injuries...you all have had more than your fair share, but you won't get IU fans feeling sorry for you on that front.

So I'm sure you also factored in David Bell being this good this early, along with Milton and several other freshman. Players get hurt, someone else has to step up. Adapt. Overcome. Persevere.

Brohm is a good coach. Allen looks to be a good coach. We're paying about $200k per victory vs $2mm per.

Ok, and you think you are prepared to pay market price for coaches that can win at IU?

Why do you think football coach economics don’t apply in Bloomington?

I was there for the Hope years...and honestly, Im not sure why you think you know more about the Hope regime vs the Brohm regime than Boiler fans....

Hope inherited a program that was still in relatively good shape, and he degraded it. He had some big wins, but his teams were never well coached. Brohm picked up an absolute corpse of a football program and breathed new life into it. Not sure why Hoosier fans care so much about his salary, he is bringing in fans and filling the stadium, hes paying for himself
Lol, ok Ordy. You are what your record is. You can spin it however you want, but the results are the same. Almost $7 million to go 4-7: smh.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Ok, and you think you are prepared to pay market price for coaches that can win at IU?

Why do you think football coach economics don’t apply in Bloomington?
Oh, we'll have to pay. But I doubt we'll be anywhere near $7mm per year. We should have enough to pay Allen what he deserves, and keep our OC at the same time.

Brohm is the 8th highest paid coach in college football. Meanwhile, PU won't even finish 8th in their own conference. Spin it however you want, but those are the facts.

1. Dabo Swinney — $9,315,600. Clemson's Dabo Swinney.
  2. Nick Saban — $8,857,000. ...
  3. Jim Harbaugh — $7,504,000. ...
  4. Jimbo Fisher — $7,500,000. ...
  5. Kirby Smart — $6,871,600. ...
  6. Gus Malzahn — $6,827,589. ...
  7. Tom Herman — $6,750,000. ...
  8. Jeff Brohm — $6,600,000. ...

Oh, we'll have to pay. But I doubt we'll be anywhere near $7mm per year. We should have enough to pay Allen what he deserves, and keep our OC at the same time.

Brohm is the 8th highest paid coach in college football. Meanwhile, PU won't even finish 8th in their own conference. Spin it however you want, but those are the facts.

1. Dabo Swinney — $9,315,600. Clemson's Dabo Swinney.
  2. Nick Saban — $8,857,000. ...
  3. Jim Harbaugh — $7,504,000. ...
  4. Jimbo Fisher — $7,500,000. ...
  5. Kirby Smart — $6,871,600. ...
  6. Gus Malzahn — $6,827,589. ...
  7. Tom Herman — $6,750,000. ...
  8. Jeff Brohm — $6,600,000. ...
WTF

Why do people think that salary equals wins? What in the sports world makes you think this?

Look at the guys on that list...If Clemson doesnt win the title, you going to fire him? Is UM going to can Harbaugh?

You pay whatever it takes to get the best coach you can get, and you give him time to build a program. Brohm is filling Ross Ade and has attracted massive positive publicity for the school. His salary is earning Purdue a positive return, which you could never say for Hazell or arguably Allen, given your continuing lackluster attendance

You will learn this lesson yourselves soon enough.
Almost $7 million for a 4-7 record. Try as you may, but you are only putting lipstick on a pig, Ordy. If Allen wins one more game, he will have won more than Brohm has any year at PU.

giphy.gif

Please.
I am sorry he did Philyor did not get hurt on an illegal hit ..he got hurt on 2 illegal hits on the same play.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT