ADVERTISEMENT

This team

ncthomas31

Benchwarmer
Nov 7, 2008
I almost wonder if this team had any chemistry at all with one another. Haven’t had a chance to watch them a ton this year but every game just seems like they have no idea where anyone is going to be on the floor. I’ve heard the rumor of dissention in the locker room and I partly believe that. Just not a lot of talent beyond Langford and Morgan. Smith and Green infuriate me bc their IQ is flat awful. I’m not about to call for Archie’s head bc it’s been 2 years...if it’s still this bad after year 4-5 than yes I could see we might need a change but time will tell. Shocking how the game has changed since I played in high school 20 years ago.

It’s a good thing IU is not a Nike school, there is no way they would be able to wear Family shirts.

Haha you very well could be onto something. I think Langford desperately needs another year of college to learn how to play defense and shoot. Problem is the NBA sees only potential but I don’t blame him if he leaves bc if the money. Sometimes I feel like these top recruits get told they are amazing and they can get away without playing defense bc their too good for it. Remember James Blackmon?! Dude had no interest in playing D...hence why he’s playing overseas somewhere

I have my thoughts about the lack of cohesion. He's sitting out this game.

That is all choreographed by the Langford camp. They were never coming out and saying point blank he was sitting out for the NBA. They want his image to be somewhat preserved with the dwindling fan base.

Many thought there would be some form of an injury before end of season and we got that....so there's that

That is all choreographed by the Langford camp. They were never coming out and saying point blank he was sitting out for the NBA. They want his image to be somewhat preserved with the dwindling fan base.
Hence, the chemistry problem mid-season. Teammates realized Romeo wasn't "all that" and team went south. Archie deserves some blame for this mess.

Hence, the chemistry problem mid-season. Teammates realized Romeo wasn't "all that" and team went south. Archie deserves some blame for this mess.

If you are right, what exactly was Archie supposed to do to solve the problem? Use his way-back machine and unrecruit RL?

It's hard to reconcile what you wrote with the multitude of comments from CAM, Juwan, and a host of other players over the summer that said that Romeo was incredibly humble and down to earth. And I've seen nothing from him in his interviews that makes me think he has any ego issues that have caused any chemistry problems.

Reactions: cryano
Good for Blackmon. I don’t wish any harm for the guy but while he was at IU he could of cared less about being there. Overseas ball sometimes I think is better than the NBA.

If this is true then your hat has to be off for the Gabbord kid from Arkansas. He was up front about it.

If you are right, what exactly was Archie supposed to do to solve the problem? Use his way-back machine and unrecruit RL?

No...act like a coach, don’t cater to him and treat him no differently than any other guy on the team. Hell, Knight got on his star guys probably MORE than the guys with less potential. He recognized that to get the most out of kids that had all the tools was to push them to their limits.

You don’t do that, you are doing a disservice to the player.

Haha you very well could be onto something. I think Langford desperately needs another year of college to learn how to play defense and shoot. Problem is the NBA sees only potential but I don’t blame him if he leaves bc if the money. Sometimes I feel like these top recruits get told they are amazing and they can get away without playing defense bc their too good for it. Remember James Blackmon?! Dude had no interest in playing D...hence why he’s playing overseas somewhere
We are better off without him … this is practice for next year basically

Reactions: Wall2Boogie
No...act like a coach, don’t cater to him and treat him no differently than any other guy on the team. Hell, Knight got on his star guys probably MORE than the guys with less potential. He recognized that to get the most out of kids that had all the tools was to push them to their limits.

What makes you think that's not happened this year?

You think RL would be a better player going to class at IU next year vs focusing on b-ball 24/7 with the best coaches in the world in the NBA?

Reactions: minneman
6e9a6a673710b0d8411db4c81937e2a3.jpg

Not rocket science. You don't treat Romeo like he's untouchable. You think RMK would have allowed that type of treatment?

Personally, I think that will hurt him. Especially playing on a team that had a tough yr. He’s a good player, but I think he will spend the majority of his rookie yr in the gleague because he’s not that great of a shooter and he needs a reality check in the sense that the game is not all about him. He needs to embrace the team concept. I think Archie allowed him to do anything he wants this yr instead of coaching him the way he should be. Romeo is in for a rude awakening. He won’t go top ten and will be lucky to be draft late in the lottery. I truly believe y’all will be better without him and his demands from him and his family next yeari

Reactions: birdforbogey

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

It's pretty simple, you get a kid that every adult jerks off to and he's coming on to a team as the new guy....you push him harder for several reasons.

1. He's only there for one year. There's no time for 'development'. He has to get up to speed ASAP.

2. Make the other guys on the team pull for him, defend him, realize that he's come in and took four years of shit.

You don't do was Davis did with Bracey or Crean did with Vonleh (confirmed by Hartman). He said Vonleh was quiet but pretty much into himself and Crean would go after guys during drills, but he didn't Vonleh. Which the other guys noticed.

Again if I'm a player coming into a season and I get asked how excited I am to play with a special talent like Romeo (which Rabjohn's asked everyone this) I'm saying, 'not as excited as I am to play another year with Morgan' then giving the interviewer a WTF raised eyebrow.

I almost wonder if this team had any chemistry at all with one another. Haven’t had a chance to watch them a ton this year but every game just seems like they have no idea where anyone is going to be on the floor. I’ve heard the rumor of dissention in the locker room and I partly believe that. Just not a lot of talent beyond Langford and Morgan. Smith and Green infuriate me bc their IQ is flat awful. I’m not about to call for Archie’s head bc it’s been 2 years...if it’s still this bad after year 4-5 than yes I could see we might need a change but time will tell. Shocking how the game has changed since I played in high school 20 years ago.

Of course there is chemistry issues and Archie gets an F for letting it happen.

Dakich even made an off hand comment that there was some girl problems the other day.

Like a dude messing with and stealing/having a players gf kind of stuff.

Of course there is chemistry issues and Archie gets an F for letting it happen.

Dakich even made an off hand comment that there was some girl problems the other day.

Like a dude messing with and stealing/having a players gf kind of stuff.
You're saying that a coach should micromanage every player's life, including girlfriends and who players mess around with. Is that really what you're trying to say?

You're saying that a coach should micromanage every player's life, including girlfriends and who players mess around with. Is that really what you're trying to say?

The girlfriend stuff is gossip but when Dakich makes a little remark about it I take it a little more seriously.

My complaint is more not managing the Romeo nonsense better.

Who knows maybe he did and it's really from a player having another players girl.

Kindof like the movie Major League. Lol

(Again this is pure internet gossip and probably just made up).

The girlfriend stuff is gossip but when Dakich makes a little remark about it I take it a little more seriously.

My complaint is more not managing the Romeo nonsense better.

Who knows maybe he did and it's really from a player having another players girl.

Kindof like the movie Major League. Lol

(Again this is pure internet gossip and probably just made up).
"We should have gotten a live chicken".

Reactions: TommyCracker
Why can’t learn while playing in the NBA and being an instant millionaire? NBA Defense is completely different anyhow, so best to learn the NBA game and getting paid. Being ready for the NBA is NOT about being ready to contribute, it’s about being ready to get drafted in your desired range.

Not rocket science. You don't treat Romeo like he's untouchable. You think RMK would have allowed that type of treatment?

You didn't say anything about Archie treating RL different or special. You said "Teammates realized Romeo wasn't "all that" and team went south.".

I agree if RL was treated differently then that is on Archie.

What I don't understand is why the good ball at the end of the season?

What changed?

You think RL would be a better player going to class at IU next year vs focusing on b-ball 24/7 with the best coaches in the world in the NBA?

This. I cannot understand why people have such a hard time grasping this. Nothing better prepared me for my career than actually starting my career full time, same goes for Romeo. If he doesn't make it in the NBA after actually playing in it, then it was never in the cards for him. But how long he stays in college will have little to no effect on that, it can actually on hurt him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT