ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Isn't Very Gifted

He was. I saw him play. He scored like 2,200 points in HS. He's shooting like a guy with zero confidence now though. Dane Fife was a TERRIBLE shooter his 1st 3 years at IU. Then as a senior the switch flipped and he was a lights out 3 point shooter. I'm NOT comparing then 2, I'm just stating that players can improve. I really hope the switch flips for Damezi soon. And Franklin. And Hunter.

So, what type of player was he in HS? I assumed with his size, he had a bit of the Delray Brooks syndrome (who also became a 3 pt threat by his senior year; just at Providence!) in that he had the size to score over people and by posting up and wasn't the shooter you'd expect for a wing player. With his mechanics, it's hard for me to imagine he was a deadeye from 3, even in HS.

Archie’s never had a great shooting team since he’s been coaching we are actually witnessing normal for him, his defense just overpowered weaker opponents in pathetic Atlantic 10

He was. I saw him play. He scored like 2,200 points in HS. He's shooting like a guy with zero confidence now though. Dane Fife was a TERRIBLE shooter his 1st 3 years at IU. Then as a senior the switch flipped and he was a lights out 3 point shooter. I'm NOT comparing then 2, I'm just stating that players can improve. I really hope the switch flips for Damezi soon. And Franklin. And Hunter.
But fife was a far better player at this stage and offered alot more on the court like great defense.

So, what type of player was he in HS? I assumed with his size, he had a bit of the Delray Brooks syndrome (who also became a 3 pt threat by his senior year; just at Providence!) in that he had the size to score over people and by posting up and wasn't the shooter you'd expect for a wing player. With his mechanics, it's hard for me to imagine he was a deadeye from 3, even in HS.

I know he shot 40% from beyond the arc his senior year. I only saw him a couple times but with that no elevation, hideous looking jumper, he was burning it up at SBR.

I don't agree. Saw nothing out of Damezi or Green beside bad shots. Also, Thompson lost the ball, I think on his first possession, dogged it up the court and then fouled on a layup because he was behind. I'd have sat him right then for the rest of the game. Hustle is about all he can give us. There are 3 guys who I don't think were playing as hard as they could and I know not as smart as they should.

While I agree with almost all of this post, I can't classify Damezi's shots as "bad shots" because they were all wide open 3s while we were trying to catch up. 4 of them in 3 minutes. Normally, you wouldn't think leaving the other team's supposed 3 pt marksman wide open for 4 straight wide-open 3s would be a wise defensive strategy, but it worked like a charm in this case.

3 point marksmen lol. They left him open for a reason. We are easy to scout

Reactions: kkott

I saw enough of his tape to know he infrequently posted up. His game was to stand outside and bomb 3 pointers And he was pretty good at handling and finishing on the fast break. He didn't drive to the basket and he very little stop & pop game.

Except he isn't recruiting shooters and that's the problem. Leal is shooting like 32% from three this year in hs. Not sure on Geronimo but I don't think Galloway is a lights out shooter either.
I must have caught Leal on a bad night. I didn't see him as a dominate player in the game I watched. He obviously has been given the green light to shoot or create his shot whenever he wants, but he isn't unstoppable on drives or a deadly shooter. I see him as Pat Graham without the shooting ability. He seems smart so maybe the other things will follow.

I must have caught Leal on a bad night. I didn't see him as a dominate player in the game I watched. He obviously has been given the green light to shoot or create his shot whenever he wants, but he isn't unstoppable on drives or a deadly shooter. I see him as Pat Graham without the shooting ability. He seems smart so maybe the other things will follow.

He definitely can't shoot like Pat Graham could, but very few can, right? He's a much better athlete though. I think he and Galloway will be starters by their JR year.

He definitely can't shoot like Pat Graham could, but very few can, right? He's a much better athlete though. I think he and Galloway will be starters by their JR year.
Their junior year so your saying Archie year 7?? OMG. So who are the starting guards for next year if Leal and Galloway don't start, you telling me they can't beat out Durham or Franklin that's really sad if true

Their junior year so your saying Archie year 7?? OMG. So who are the starting guards for next year if Leal and Galloway don't start, you telling me they can't beat out Durham or Franklin that's really sad if true

Rob and Al will start next year obviously. Plus neither are PG's, so neither will be taking Rob's spot. Leal and Galloway will be 2/3's. How can someone that posts as much as you do on an IU message board not know that already?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Rob and Al will start next year obviously. Plus neither are PG's, so neither will be taking Rob's spot. Leal and Galloway will be 2/3's. How can someone that posts as much as you do on an IU message board not know that already?
UHHHHHH who is the shooting guard??? That's a terrible backcourt

Galloway is better in HS than Durham was.
Galloway brings much better defense, BB IQ, toughness, and leadership.

Galloway is better in HS than Durham was.
Galloway brings much better defense, BB IQ, toughness, and leadership.

This is all just speculation. As far as we know, he gets to IU and looks like deer-in-the-headlights Hunter or Race Thompson. Will believe it when I see it in big time basketball.

This is all just speculation. As far as we know, he gets to IU and looks like deer-in-the-headlights Hunter or Race Thompson. Will believe it when I see it in big time basketball.

did your trousers wiggle a little bit when you typed “big time basketball”? Bet that felt real goooooood. Lol

Most likely yes; speculation if Iu had yogi coming in next year how much of a difference would that make to Archie’s pathetic half court offense

Are you sure they didn’t mean that he shoots like he’s shooting in the dark?

You realize Galloway is playing with a broken wrist. That may have something to so with his shooting numbers, no?

It’s amazing what happens when a few 3s go down. It’s also nice to see the bigs face up and knock down a shot or two. It’s been there all along but we just played one dimensional by trying to force feed it on the block.

This is the change of pace that I was looking for from Archie

Reactions: Vern Pain
It’s amazing what happens when a few 3s go down. It’s also nice to see the bigs face up and knock down a shot or two. It’s been there all along but we just played one dimensional by trying to force feed it on the block.

This is the change of pace that I was looking for from Archie
What did you think about those two Brunk floaters around the ft line? I don't remember him taking those shots before.

Stating the obvious , but we need 1 reliable assassin. This team should run it through Davis or Brunk every possession, and if nothing is there kick it out. Why get in shooting contest with other teams blows my mind. When Hoosiers feed it inside , good things happen. When Bad Green shows up, the train starts a rocking.

Stating the obvious , but we need 1 reliable assassin. This team should run it through Davis or Brunk every possession, and if nothing is there kick it out. Why get in shooting contest with other teams blows my mind. When Hoosiers feed it inside , good things happen. When Bad Green shows up, the train starts a rocking.
I've just about given up on Green's inconsistent game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT