ADVERTISEMENT

This Team Isn't Very Gifted

Some players may want to transfer
Anderson needs to transfer to Bethel College, Hunter transferred to the Cleveland clinic and Phinisee and Thompson transferred to concussion protocol. Add in a perennially injured Davis, a bipolar Green and and an inconsistent Smith, and Miller hasn't had much to work with.

Hope Archie has some dynamite recuriting years ahead, because this roster is a horrible mix.

Thank god for Joey Brunk, about the only one on this team that cares.

Reactions: Harry Hondo
Why speculate like that? There wasn’t a player in the game tonight that wasn’t playing hard. Shooting obviously killed them, not lack of effort.

I don't agree. Saw nothing out of Damezi or Green beside bad shots. Also, Thompson lost the ball, I think on his first possession, dogged it up the court and then fouled on a layup because he was behind. I'd have sat him right then for the rest of the game. Hustle is about all he can give us. There are 3 guys who I don't think were playing as hard as they could and I know not as smart as they should.

Anderson needs to transfer to Bethel College, Hunter transferred to the Cleveland clinic and Phinisee and Thompson transferred to concussion protocol. Add in a perennially injured Davis, a bipolar Green and and an inconsistent Smith, and Miller hasn't had much to work with.

Hope Archie has some dynamite recuriting years ahead, because this roster is a horrible mix.

Of all of this you find blame in a bunch of 18-22 y/o kids...not the $3.5m ADULT placed in charge of them...

Of all of this you find blame in a bunch of 18-22 y/o kids...not the $3.5m ADULT placed in charge of them...
There's an old saying....you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

We need better/more talented players, preferably with some basketball IQ.

Reactions: kmathum
There's an old saying....you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

We need better/more talented players, preferably with some basketball IQ.
This aint Crawford Co High School where you get who grew up there on the HS team...

Archie spends almost $900k to recruit the guys he wants to name as ‘Hoosiers’

I don't agree. Saw nothing out of Damezi or Green beside bad shots. Also, Thompson lost the ball, I think on his first possession, dogged it up the court and then fouled on a layup because he was behind. I'd have sat him right then for the rest of the game. Hustle is about all he can give us. There are 3 guys who I don't think were playing as hard as they could and I know not as smart as they should.

I noticed Race's lack of hustle on the fast break.........hard to understand. You would think a guy like him would be playing his butt off to get more time. He's not the player I hoped he would be, and doesn't seem inclined to work hard enough to get there.

Who ever said this team is made up of beta males was spot on...............

Reactions: Hatchets7times

First of all, Brunk must be thinking "WTF" when he watches these guys play.

As to Anderson, it's a race to the bottom with he, Hunter & Franklin. Anderson is now at 24% on 3s this year, 1/12 in the BT and 1/20 in the BT for his career. Missed 4 wide open 3s in 3 minutes last night.

Not to be outdone, JH is 4/28 (14.3%) overall and 1/9 in the BT. I was disappointed in JH last night. I wondered if he would mix it up with the RU guys inside last night. No,

In between is AF, who is now, 8/42 for the year (19%). I wonder what sin he possibly could have committed to only get 3 minutes of PT last night, the way everyone else was playing?

BTW, was it IndyResident who said he had seen AF play 50 times in HS and he was going to be groomed to be the back-up PG this year? Fess up, whoever it was.

I am blown away at the lack of hustle when teams are out on the break.
They all look like they're jogging..

That’s on the coaching. Archie is a mid major coach. And his press conferences are starting to sound Crean like. If a coach can’t get players to hustle, there’s a problem.

ufo33 said:

Some players may want to transfer

[/quote]
Brunk & TJD are keepers, but Miller only has Brunk another year and who knows about TJD. This team needs some good guards who can shoot. I was really down on Archie’s coaching abilities until I saw the OSU game. This team can play like they’re well coached. I now just think we have a bevy of incompetent or at least inconsistent players, especially at guard.

While I agree with almost all of this post, I can't classify Damezi's shots as "bad shots" because they were all wide open 3s while we were trying to catch up. 4 of them in 3 minutes. Normally, you wouldn't think leaving the other team's supposed 3 pt marksman wide open for 4 straight wide-open 3s would be a wise defensive strategy, but it worked like a charm in this case.

Can Phinisee get a hernia repair while he is on concussion protocol?

While I agree with almost all of this post, I can't classify Damezi's shots as "bad shots" because they were all wide open 3s while we were trying to catch up. 4 of them in 3 minutes. Normally, you wouldn't think leaving the other team's supposed 3 pt marksman wide open for 4 straight wide-open 3s would be a wise defensive strategy, but it worked like a charm in this case.

Please stop. I don't ever want to hear about Damezi being a good shooter or marksman again. He's never square when he shoots and he flicks the ball. You can have a different looking shot, but some of the fundamental mechanics, are the same for every good shooter: squared up, rotation, arc... he has none of that. Other teams aren't going off reputation, they go off stats and video. No one is scared to let him shoot. I don't care what he did in practice or high school.... he's not a good shooter at the D1 college level and for now, that's where we play.

Saw that too - totally agreed he dogged it...

Please stop. I don't ever want to hear about Damezi being a good shooter or marksman again. He's never square when he shoots and he flicks the ball. You can have a different looking shot, but some of the fundamental mechanics, are the same for every good shooter: squared up, rotation, arc... he has none of that. Other teams aren't going off reputation, they go off stats and video. No one is scared to let him shoot. I don't care what he did in practice or high school.... he's not a good shooter at the D1 college level and for now, that's where we play.
Isn't the coaching staff making $3.5 million supposed to correct those things in a player are we just to assume the player learned it from his AAU coach.

He was lights out in hs so we are told. Lights out!!

Still very early in this rebuild. We all need much more patience for a few more years.
Just need to recruit better shooters who also play defense...…….really. I wonder how Alford would have shot for Archie if he basically had to get is own shot, guess we'd just call him a "bad shooter" hmmmm see how that works...….Good Offense = good shooting.

Just need to recruit better shooters who also play defense...…….really. I wonder how Alford would have shot for Archie if he basically had to get is own shot, guess we'd just call him a "bad shooter" hmmmm see how that works...….Good Offense = good shooting.
Except he isn't recruiting shooters and that's the problem. Leal is shooting like 32% from three this year in hs. Not sure on Geronimo but I don't think Galloway is a lights out shooter either.

Except he isn't recruiting shooters and that's the problem. Leal is shooting like 32% from three this year in hs. Not sure on Geronimo but I don't think Galloway is a lights out shooter either.
Careful, Apologists don't like facts.

Saw that too - totally agreed he dogged it...

That totally chapped my ass. I just don't get it. If I screwed up and contributed to a turnover, I damn well sprinted downcourt and tried to make it right, and I'm talking pickup games. By the way he turned and jogged upcourt, I literally thought he must've pulled a muscle because I couldn't understand why he wasn't sprinting... and then he commits a foul. I really did believe he should have been pulled right then and not played another minute. To me, it was that bad.

Well next year when we are again in the 300's in 3 point shooting they will once again say "we don't have any shooters."
All summer I heard these guys would drastically improve their three point shooting. Wish i could find some of those posts now. People actually said we didn't need to bring in shooters cause these guys would improve. No lie.

All summer I heard these guys would drastically improve their three point shooting. Wish i could find some of those posts now. People actually said we didn't need to bring in shooters cause these guys would improve. No lie.
Would love to find those entries the Apologists always have an answer.

Reactions: lj85
Victorbear will find those posts. Don't you worry.

Basically just messing with you.....but the logical end game for what you are saying is that ANY shot by Damezi is a bad shot, other than a layup.

We know he doesn't drive to the basket or have a stop and pop game. He is allegedly a three point shooter. Ergo, if the best thing he does is shoot 3 pointers and any 3 point shot is a bad shot, he shouldn't shoot anything other than a layup.

I guess it was a Hail Mary play, but Archie had him in there near the end when the game was still winnable. He has apparently not given up on him entirely.

Basically just messing with you.....but the logical end game for what you are saying is that ANY shot by Damezi is a bad shot, other than a layup.

We know he doesn't drive to the basket or have a stop and pop game. He is allegedly a three point shooter. Ergo, if the best thing he does is shoot 3 pointers and any 3 point shot is a bad shot, he shouldn't shoot anything other than a layup.

I guess it was a Hail Mary play, but Archie had him in there near the end when the game was still winnable. He has apparently not given up on him entirely.

I don't know that he doesn't drive, or have a stop and pop game. But guess what, he scored a ton of points in HS and I think was his County's all time leading scorer. I'm pretty certain he didn't do all that on 3s and layups. Be hard to guard. Chucking misses from 3, isn't hard to guard. There has to be a recognition when shots aren't falling to do something else. Driving, pullups, drive and dish.... something. We need to take open 3s within our offense to try and keep teams honest, but we've also got to manufacture points other ways. If Damezi can't do that, then I see no reason to play him. I don't believe he's a shooter the way his shot looks. And yes, I'd be thrilled if he proves me wrong.

Last edited:
He was lights out in hs so we are told. Lights out!!

He was. I saw him play. He scored like 2,200 points in HS. He's shooting like a guy with zero confidence now though. Dane Fife was a TERRIBLE shooter his 1st 3 years at IU. Then as a senior the switch flipped and he was a lights out 3 point shooter. I'm NOT comparing then 2, I'm just stating that players can improve. I really hope the switch flips for Damezi soon. And Franklin. And Hunter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT