ADVERTISEMENT

This team is an enigma...

rocketo

All-American
Feb 23, 2007
We have looked really good some games. We have looked pretty bad some games. We have lost some head scratchers and have won some. Huge win against Iowa, with several players really stepping up and just playing smart. Had we hit our FTs, it would have been an absolute blowout!

I just can’t figure out how good this team is and how good Archie is. I have been very supportive of him, but that Purdoo loss had be fuming with the way we played. While this win was great, I have to see more consistency at this type of level before I will be back to fully supportive.

A lot of young talent on this team, so we aren’t in a bad space there. But if you can’t beat Purdoo consistently, you won’t survive at IU. Because you won’t be welcome...

We have looked really good some games. We have looked pretty bad some games. We have lost some head scratchers and have won some. Huge win against Iowa, with several players really stepping up and just playing smart. Had we hit our FTs, it would have been an absolute blowout!

I just can’t figure out how good this team is and how good Archie is. I have been very supportive of him, but that Purdoo loss had be fuming with the way we played. While this win was great, I have to see more consistency at this type of level before I will be back to fully supportive.

A lot of young talent on this team, so we aren’t in a bad space there. But if you can’t beat Purdoo consistently, you won’t survive at IU. Because you won’t be welcome...

out problems are not of the physical nature. It’s been this way for years. Losing 12 of 13 will never have an explanation, especially when the lone win was against State. This team has consistently shown their Jekyll and Hyde nature.

This team has plenty of “talent”, at least as measured by physical metrics. But, the same can bd said for almost any conference team. IMHO, the league will come down to preparation, consistency, mental toughness, concentration, effort, confidence and all those other things that exist between the ears.

Iowa was a step.

3rd youngest team in the B10 per minute played. Why do our fans not understand experience wins in the B10 (especially at guard). Add in the various injuries (including lower body injuries to all 3 starting guards), height issue, finishing through contact problem, free throws, and not having a consistent shooter (Leal could become one and MAKES 500 3's a day). It really isn't that difficult to figure out, is it? The B10 is BRUTAL this year. 4 of the 6 losses are to top 20ish teams. I'd say it's been pretty darn good coaching to be competitive with the roster limitations. A year with a real off season (being able to use facilities) should help immensely (TJD needs 15-20 lbs to even think about being drafted in the 1st round...look at projections). Its no coincidence young players are struggling much more than usual, this year, across the country.

The needs on this roster are more glaring than any team outside of Nebraska and Penn State in the B10. No inside depth, no consistent shooting, free throws, can't finish through contact, get pushed around by bigger teams, not a lot of experience, etc. When talking about talent, you have to compare to the teams you are playing. Context matters. Talent wise, IU is much better off than say Mississippi St, but compared to the B10? Can you say based purely on talent IU is anywhere close to Illinois, this year? How many NBA picks does each team have, again? Ready to leave now (I'll give you a hint....IU has less than 1)? Experience? IU has one Sr healthy and good enough to play and 2 jrs total. Again, look at the top teams in the B10 and compare. Context matters and outside of the Purdue and NW games, IU has vastly overachiever based on talent, experience, and schedule (one of the best SOS in the nation). I don't see what some people were expecting out of this team. Be realistic! The B10 is ridiculously good this year.

out problems are not of the physical nature. It’s been this way for years. Losing 12 of 13 will never have an explanation, especially when the lone win was against State. This team has consistently shown their Jekyll and Hyde nature.

This team has plenty of “talent”, at least as measured by physical metrics. But, the same can bd said for almost any conference team. IMHO, the league will come down to preparation, consistency, mental toughness, concentration, effort, confidence and all those other things that exist between the ears.

Iowa was a step.

Iowa was a step.
Our roster limitations are mostly the result of recruiting misses. That’s on CAM. The injuries have certainly been a big blow this year, especially with Brunk out. That took us from a strength to a weakness for front court depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT