ADVERTISEMENT

This team deserved banner #6.....

92 was when we should've won. But we got Valentine'd.
Yeah... The Duke game.... But I came across this vid and thought it was great... Especially with Fish.... I could listen to him talk IU bball for hours....

I forgot we beat the fab 5 twice that year...
We split with the Fab 5 in '91-'92 (their freshman year). We swept them in '92-'93, winning both games by a point. We would have played Michigan both years in the title game, had we advanced.

The 1992-1993 Team would certainly be a worthy candidate. But I would submit that the 1974-75 was a better candidate. and was one Scott May broken bone away from winning it all and going undefeated. Yeah, I know, different time, different game.

People always say the Henderson injury cost us #6 but didn't Kansas beat us earlier that season when he was healthy? Plus we would still have had UNC and the Fab 5 to deal with.

Reactions: Rasco123
I forgot we beat the fab 5 twice that year...
The fab five got lots of publicity, but they never won anything. No BIG titles, no NCs. All they got was lots of bling, and pretty good NBA careers. Not bad, but they may have been the most talented team to have won nothing.

Reactions: Rasco123 and herrli
The 1992-1993 Team would certainly be a worthy candidate. But I would submit that the 1974-75 was a better candidate. and was one Scott May broken bone away from winning it all and going undefeated. Yeah, I know, different time, different game.

I certainly remember that year. Scott had played on our intramural softball team the previous year. He batted left handed and absolutely killed the ball. There is no doubt in my mind that the Hoosiers would have won the NCAA Championship in 1975 if Scott had not broken his forearm. Of course, the evil Boilermakers did it to him.

The fab five got lots of publicity, but they never won anything. No BIG titles, no NCs. All they got was lots of bling, and pretty good NBA careers. Not bad, but they may have been the most talented team to have won nothing.

They had talent, but I'd put Phi Slama Jama above them in terms of talent without winning a title.

People always say the Henderson injury cost us #6 but didn't Kansas beat us earlier that season when he was healthy? Plus we would still have had UNC and the Fab 5 to deal with.
Yes, Kansas beat us in the Hoosier Dome in early December, although I'm not sure if Pat Graham played then or not-might have been dealing with an injury. That would have been one heck of Final Four if IU made it. In fact, it would have been all four #1 seeds (Michigan, UK, UNC).

Of all the what if teams anyone has had that was was pretty much a certainty, they were better than the 76 team. I also wonder a lot about 80 if Woody hadn't hurt his back and who knows 82 if not for Landon's accident?

Only thing that group did win was the Rainbow Classic.

Of all the what if teams anyone has had that was was pretty much a certainty, they were better than the 76 team. I also wonder a lot about 80 if Woody hadn't hurt his back and who knows 82 if not for Landon's accident?
The loss of Isaiah and Tolbert made the 82 title out reach, even if Turner hadn't gotten paralyzed.

Brown was no replacement for Zeke and IU had no one who could provide the same level of play as Tolbert did. He was an absolute beast inside and had an unbelievable motor.

Yes, Kansas beat us in the Hoosier Dome in early December, although I'm not sure if Pat Graham played then or not-might have been dealing with an injury. That would have been one heck of Final Four if IU made it. In fact, it would have been all four #1 seeds (Michigan, UK, UNC).
we were in command most of this game although it was close, then failed to score the final 4 minutes and basically gave it to KU. If I remember right, Pat got hurt during the NIT Big Apple Tourney (that IU won)- maybe against FL State. Held during Txgiving break. I think this KU game was a week or so later, maybe early Dec.

Reactions: ulrey
kentucky-indiana-75.jpg

we were in command most of this game although it was close, then failed to score the final 4 minutes and basically gave it to KU. If I remember right, Pat got hurt during the NIT Big Apple Tourney (that IU won)- maybe against FL State. Held during Txgiving break. I think this KU game was a week or so later, maybe early Dec.
yep. fsu

Well, really, we should have won in 2002 as well ,,, think we blew a 6pt lead in like the last 4 min. That team was nowhere near 92-93, but it was better than Maryland. I actually consider that a more regretful loss because we had it in control late and should have won.
Not at all. We only led briefly around the 10 minute mark. Although the game was relatively close for the most part, I never felt we were in the game. Maryland controlled the game nearly throughout.

1973 Final Four game with 8 minutes to go versus UCLA Steve Downing and Bill Walton both have four fouls when a foul is called that could easily go either way. It goes against Downing and that is the game. Goes the other way and IU probably wins Title.

Not at all. We only led briefly around the 10 minute mark. Although the game was relatively close for the most part, I never felt we were in the game. Maryland controlled the game nearly throughout.
Sadly, I agree... I felt like we had a puncher's chance throughout...

ADVERTISEMENT