ADVERTISEMENT

This sure sounds good for us

IUgradman

All-American
Mar 31, 2009
That does sound like they really like the IU staff,school and over all situation. Be awesome if RL does announce early for IU. I will predict Garland comes too if RL decides early.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/1...tmosphere-for-five-star-guard-romeo-langford/

If Romeo was truly interested in Kansas why would his father even bring up the possibily of not taking the trip?

Walking the recruits and their families across the court was a genius move by Archie. It had a huge impact. Hoosier Nation is like no other! They didn't even know who he was at UNC.
I really hope that's what it means. I think it was just to get across the point that it doesn't matter what they think, but what he thinks. That article was very encouraging, though.

http://www.insidethehall.com/2017/1...tmosphere-for-five-star-guard-romeo-langford/

If Romeo was truly interested in Kansas why would his father even bring up the possibily of not taking the trip?

Walking the recruits and their families across the court was a genius move by Archie. It had a huge impact. Hoosier Nation is like no other! They didn't even know who he was at UNC.

Well, I hope it's good news. But I don't want to read too much into it. Given the excitement of that kind of atmosphere, it's easy to understand why the elder Langford would say something like this. This is why most people involved in selling just about anything would prefer, if given the choice, to have the last presentation.

But I'd be shocked if a top 10 caliber recruit would make a commitment (1) right out of the gate with his official visits, and (2) at (or right following) a hard-sell event like HH.

Well, I hope it's good news. But I don't want to read too much into it. Given the excitement of that kind of atmosphere, it's easy to understand why the elder Langford would say something like this. This is why most people involved in selling just about anything would prefer, if given the choice, to have the last presentation.

But I'd be shocked if a top 10 caliber recruit would make a commitment (1) right out of the gate with his official visits, and (2) at (or right following) a hard-sell event like HH.

I don't think Tim Langford is one to get caught up in emotion. When he speaks, it is well thought out. That is why his comments give me hope. And don't think that other instate players won't notice if Romeo commits to IU. Keion, TJD, and other recruits down the line will be even more interested in us.

I don't think Tim Langford is one to get caught up in emotion. When he speaks, it is well thought out. That is why his comments give me hope. And don't think that other instate players won't notice if Romeo commits to IU. Keion, TJD, and other recruits down the line will be even more interested in us.
He seemed to be speaking in the hypothetical, rather than the “actual”, however. They obviously liked their visit and came away impressed, but there’s little doubt that they’ll visit Kansas next and any other school that interests Romeo. Hard to imagine IU being able to do much else here. It will either be his choice or not, but I would think Miller has done all he could to secure the pledge.

Reactions: HoosierInOhio7

I wish I had inside information on Romeo but I don't. I just hope like hell he decides to be a Hoosier and Garland follows him.

I wish I had inside information on Romeo but I don't. I just hope like hell he decides to be a Hoosier and Garland follows him.

I had a friend who was at UNC's MM last week, and he said unfortunately it was pretty sweet. Although assumptions are correct: they had no idea RL was there and most don't know anything about him because they expect 5 stars, so the individual recognition and chants probably are unique to their HH experience (maybe at KU... they're fans seem more tied in than Tar Heels overall). Hard to top the excitement of celebrating a NC and them getting off scott-free with the academic investigation. You can't top that, and is obviously unique to UNC, but I think CAM did all he could and has made a great case. I'm confident he'll get top 5 star talent like this, just a question of if Romeo and/or Garland will be the first!

Reactions: MrBing
That's a great article, at this point I can't imagine it being any more encouraging. It sounds like Dad is ready to pull the trigger..lol

Sounds like Romeo has a real solid support group wherever he decides to go.

I take it as encouraging news since his dad didn't make those comments after visiting NC, Vandy, UCLA. His dad is very low key and has not made comments like this throughout his recruitment.

He seemed to be speaking in the hypothetical, rather than the “actual”, however. They obviously liked their visit and came away impressed, but there’s little doubt that they’ll visit Kansas next and any other school that interests Romeo. Hard to imagine IU being able to do much else here. It will either be his choice or not, but I would think Miller has done all he could to secure the pledge.

Agreed. People need to calm down a bit and let this play out. Things look good for us but it is far from over imo.

That's a great article, at this point I can't imagine it being any more encouraging. It sounds like Dad is ready to pull the trigger..lol

Sounds like Romeo has a real solid support group wherever he decides to go.
A parent would naturally want their kid to play where they could see every home game in person. The battle would be to remain neutral so they can choose themselves. I would be interested in the ride home and what they discussed after they had a chance to compare notes. This is a week that a message from Oladipo or another IU player in the NBA would be appreciated.

I feel better about Garland choosing between IU and Vandy. We had the best potential backcourt in the country at HH. It would change the program if they come here.

Reactions: IUgradman
The interesting thing, will be the comments he makes after visiting Kansas.
I think the really interesting thing will be what he does after the Kansas visit. Either narrowing his list or making a commitment is really the only thing left for him at this point. I think the big issue for him will be whether he wants to spend his likely limited time in college being a part, even a pretty big part, of an outstanding program with a chance to win it all or the main cog, or one of them, of a building program trying to get to that status.

A parent would naturally want their kid to play where they could see every home game in person. The battle would be to remain neutral so they can choose themselves. I would be interested in the ride home and what they discussed after they had a chance to compare notes. This is a week that a message from Oladipo or another IU player in the NBA would be appreciated.

I feel better about Garland choosing between IU and Vandy. We had the best potential backcourt in the country at HH. It would change the program if they come here.

Probably in terms of playing where they could see them, but I think most parents are going to evaluate what's best for their kid long term. That's what we want out of college anyway, right? UNC and KU have the advantage of already being at the elite level and putting lots of kids in the NBA, but I think you can make the argument that top talent gets to the NBA regardless and having the support of Hoosier Nation, and being the "program changer" who committed also have long term value, as does playing at IU. I remember reading about Greg Oden taking courses back at OSU and that he's largely unrecognized. That would never happen on IU's campus, especially for someone who took us to a Finals, and you always have the speaking and endorsement as well as biz opportunities to fall back on as well.

If those two committed, it wouldn't be a building program anymore. IU would be a top 5 team, at least, upon their arrival. That recruiting class would fill all 5 positions, and we would have plenty of returning talent, too. That would immediately vault IU to contending for the NC. So, the argument of committing to a building program vs a NC contender would be invalid. Now, I will agree with you if you are saying Kansas would have slightly better overall talent around him, but wouldn't be the difference you are implying....and we beat a much more talented Kansas team last year, anyway...

I think the really interesting thing will be what he does after the Kansas visit. Either narrowing his list or making a commitment is really the only thing left for him at this point. I think the big issue for him will be whether he wants to spend his likely limited time in college being a part, even a pretty big part, of an outstanding program with a chance to win it all or the main cog, or one of them, of a building program trying to get to that status.

Reactions: mazz and IUgradman
If those two committed, it wouldn't be a building program anymore. IU would be a top 5 team, at least, upon their arrival. That recruiting class would fill all 5 positions, and we would have plenty of returning talent, too. That would immediately vault IU to contending for the NC. So, the argument of committing to a building program vs a NC contender would be invalid. Now, I will agree with you if you are saying Kansas would have slightly better overall talent around him, but wouldn't be the difference you are implying....and we beat a much more talented Kansas team last year, anyway...
But IU’s ascension would be on paper only. UNC and KU would already be there. Romeo and Garland would certainly help Iu build quickly, but suggesting they’re an automatic NC contender just because of their commitments is way over the top. The supporting cast, while potentially good, has largely done nothing, unless an NIT berth following a below .500 Big Ten season is “something”. Elite versus Building absolutely applies.

Reactions: boilers-seminoles
But IU’s ascension would be on paper only. UNC and KU would already be there. Romeo and Garland would certainly help Iu build quickly, but suggesting they’re an automatic NC contender just because of their commitments is way over the top. The supporting cast, while potentially good, has largely done nothing, unless an NIT berth following a below .500 Big Ten season is “something”. Elite versus Building absolutely applies.

I think you have to assume there will be player development/improvement and the other talented freshmen will contribute significantly.

I think if we add Romeo and Garland we have as much talent as anyone for 2018. Those two start along with Davis (borderline 5 star), Morgan (4 year player) and Hunter (top 50). Our depth would be great as well
Hunter will be a stud. He may well be a McDonald's AA before coming to IU. He may also be a one and done.

Reactions: IUgradman
Probably in terms of playing where they could see them, but I think most parents are going to evaluate what's best for their kid long term. That's what we want out of college anyway, right? UNC and KU have the advantage of already being at the elite level and putting lots of kids in the NBA, but I think you can make the argument that top talent gets to the NBA regardless and having the support of Hoosier Nation, and being the "program changer" who committed also have long term value, as does playing at IU. I remember reading about Greg Oden taking courses back at OSU and that he's largely unrecognized. That would never happen on IU's campus, especially for someone who took us to a Finals, and you always have the speaking and endorsement as well as biz opportunities to fall back on as well.
My wife and I would consider IU a better situation for education and athletic support and integrity. If you are considering business, Kelley is recognized all over the midwest if not nationally. Journalism, Infomatics, Education, Music, or the medical fields are all respected. UNC and KU might be fine schools, but we know IU and the doors opened after graduation that are the result of being an IU basketball player.

We wouldn't have to sell IU. They would have accepted an offer before the offer was finished. our case, there wouldn't be a second thought from any of our kids. Players come out ready for the NBA based on their talent. They can get to the NBA from any School. Shawn Marion almost went to the NBA right from Vincennes University.

Romeo retweeted his HH standing ovation three times and Garland retweeted his once. Not sure how many retweets confirms a commitment but worth noting.

Romeo also re-tweeted this.

I know he is religious and tweets about God but given that he may make a college decision soon I thought the nature of this video was interesting.

Reactions: IUclover
I don't think expecting players to improve and our three top 100 freshmen to contribute are big assumptions.
Everyone’s players improve though. And freshmen who haven’t played yet are wildly unpredictable. Guys will get better, but the bar is high, and it’s easy to make rosy assumptions because of the coaching change.

Okay, signing Langford is important -- I get that. But, I also wonder, if we sign Langford AND have a 20-win season with a tournament run, who do we sign next year because they get the message that IU is a happenin' place to be?

Everyone’s players improve though. And freshmen who haven’t played yet are wildly unpredictable. Guys will get better, but the bar is high, and it’s easy to make rosy assumptions because of the coaching change.

If Archie is a good coach, and we all hope he is, then there will be solid player development.

Okay, signing Langford is important -- I get that. But, I also wonder, if we sign Langford AND have a 20-win season with a tournament run, who do we sign next year because they get the message that IU is a happenin' place to be?

Brooks and TJD for starters. Maybe Hurt and Watford too.

Reactions: Thomtar

Garland+Romeo+ Morgan+ Davis would be stronger than the 2008 team with DJ White and Eric Gordon. That team was 14-2 in conference before the rails fell off.

Stating that IU would be a National Championship contender with that class coming in plus Jones, Green, Moore and Smith returning is not a stretch. Race Thompson would effectively be a Soph. Hunter, Anderson, and Phinessee will all be capable of contributing as freshmen.

It could be a very good team.

Yep. Land Romeo and I'm very confident 2019 will be a top 5 class.
I see some logic in your statement and I think it is easily supportable, which inclines me to believe you are right.
As for me, I would just as soon leave Romeo alone because he's likely a one-and-done and, while I don't disagree with those players, that doesn't mean I would recruit them into my program, if I were a coach. But, I think signing him is a sign to these other players who will make a difference in the future.

Jerry Meyer changed his crystal ball pick for Romeo from Kansas to IU. He never picks IU for elite prospects. A good sign I suppose.
Or .... he wants to generate click-count by fabricating a controversy or, ahem, "reader interest."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT