ADVERTISEMENT

This Randomly Showed Up On My Twitter Timeline; Looks Like Crean May Be Out OfA Job Before The End Of The Season

How incredibly stupid of Crean. Everyone knows that when push comes to shove you don’t fight. You go out into the parking lot and have a challenge of jumping over moving cars!

• Haha
Reactions: brebelle3
Do you think ESPN will do an in house interview and talk about how unfairly he was treated?
I'm not going to defend Tom Crean- either for his coaching or for this incident if it turns out to be true. In fact, Tom Crean's self-destructive insecurity has led him to hire incompetent assistants his entire career. Even though he's been a major conference head coach for over 20 years, been to a final four, and had two B1G conference championships there's a reason there is such an erratic record and no "Tom Crean coaching tree". He was a top assistant under one of the most successful head coaches in the nation, but his own assistants have never been sought after by quality programs.
This is precisely because deep down Crean knows he is marginally competent but doesn't want to be great if it means others might be given the credit. So his teams fail to reach their potential because he hires people even less competent ( Tim Buckley, Bennie Seltzer) who can't help him be more successful. As compared to a guy like John Beilein who had the humility and self-confidence to admit his areas of weakness and seek top-flight assistants who could help him elevate his program to a national championship contender. So it's no surprise that he has a couple of knuckleheads on staff whose stupidity might get him fired.

Having said all that, I think we all know that if Georgia was 20-6 instead of 6-20 this exact same transgression would probably have resulted in a letter in his personnel file and a "stern talking-to". Sort of like Putin's likely invasion of Ukraine - a convenient outcome searching for a justification.

I'm not going to defend Tom Crean- either for his coaching or for this incident if it turns out to be true. In fact, Tom Crean's self-destructive insecurity has led him to hire incompetent assistants his entire career. Even though he's been a major conference head coach for over 20 years, been to a final four, and had two B1G conference championships there's a reason there is such an erratic record and no "Tom Crean coaching tree". He was a top assistant under one of the most successful head coaches in the nation, but his own assistants have never been sought after by quality programs.
This is precisely because deep down Crean knows he is marginally competent but doesn't want to be great if it means others might be given the credit. So his teams fail to reach their potential because he hires people even less competent ( Tim Buckley, Bennie Seltzer) who can't help him be more successful. As compared to a guy like John Beilein who had the humility and self-confidence to admit his areas of weakness and seek top-flight assistants who could help him elevate his program to a national championship contender. So it's no surprise that he has a couple of knuckleheads on staff whose stupidity might get him fired.

Having said all that, I think we all know that if Georgia was 20-6 instead of 6-20 this exact same transgression would probably have resulted in a letter in his personnel file and a "stern talking-to". Sort of like Putin's likely invasion of Ukraine - a convenient outcome searching for a justification.

So, maybe we should hire him back as an OC? J/k

So, maybe we should hire him back as an OC? J/k
TBH I think he has some positive attributes. No question he could spot and recruit talent, and he seemed to have a knack for helping players develop offensively. But he was frantic and manic when calm was required in the course of a game, and he was completely and totally clueless on the defensive end of the court. He certainly didn't understand situational offense and we all know he had no idea how to attack an extended zone. Not head coach material for sure.

I do thank Tom for raising up IU from near despair. His first couple rosters were awful. He got some good players and made things exciting for 5-6 years. Great ra ra guy but a bad coach.
Yes he was but I would take him over archie in a second. Archie is the worst coach we ever hired he gave us nothing except four wasted years. Archie could only dream of sniffing a sweet sixteen.

Even after we fired crean he was mentioned for other jobs. I have not heard archie mentioned in a year at all. Clearly I am not a fan of either but archie other than his brothers name is a total bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBT Assoc
Yes he was but I would take him over archie in a second. Archie is the worst coach we ever hired he gave us nothing except four wasted years. Archie could only dream of sniffing a sweet sixteen.

Even after we fired crean he was mentioned for other jobs. I have not heard archie mentioned in a year at all. Clearly I am not a fan of either but archie other than his brothers name is a total bust.
That’s not fair. Archie made an NIT “elite” 8

How incredibly stupid of Crean. Everyone knows that when push comes to shove you don’t fight. You go out into the parking lot and have a challenge of jumping over moving cars!
Sounds like it was his assistants fighting and they are going to get him for cause because he failed to report the incident. =no buyout payments. Dumb but that’s the world we live in. Dumb that he’s getting bounced for cause, not dumb because he’s been terrible.

He should go into broadcasting.

Archie made an Elite 8 at Dayton

Reactions: ams66 and kmathum
  • Haha
Reactions: SoccerSammy
One lucky run nothing at iu.
If it wasn't for that one good year, we probably wouldn't even have been talking about him as a potential coach here. Never really came close to equalling that his last 3 years at Dayton (lost in the 2nd round and then in the 1st round his last two years there).

Reactions: bailey777
If it wasn't for that one good year, we probably wouldn't even have been talking about him as a potential coach here. Never really came close to equalling that his last 3 years at Dayton (lost in the 2nd round and then in the 1st round his last two years there).
Amazing he was the hottest almost sure to win coach to hire at the time. At least that's what freddy was told I read. Only guy glass even looked at.

Fred gives a speech about winning national titles and then hires a guy who cannot even make the ncaa.

Amazing he was the hottest almost sure to win coach to hire at the time. At least that's what freddy was told I read. Only guy glass even looked at.

Fred gives a speech about winning national titles and then hires a guy who cannot even make the ncaa.
In fairness nobody at all predicted how truly awful Archie was going to be

Maybe should of gotten another year. Why the heck not the packline defense takes four years to learn.
He just needed his players. I think there was maybe one player left that was recruited by Crean. That was destroying the entire team chemistry. Remember those ridiculous posts during Archie’s year #4???

Reactions: Radio Zero
not to mention the guarantees that there was absolutely no way he was to be fired last year. So many people with “inside information” who know diddly squat

Reactions: bailey777
In fairness nobody at all predicted how truly awful Archie was going to be
I was underwhelmed by the AM hire but I wrongly thought he was a good coach. I wanted a big name coach to come in and immediately pull in good talent. I thought AM would gradually improve the roster and eventually get us respectable. What I didn't realize is that his demeanor and lack of a dynamic personality would hinder recruiting and apparent lack of respect from the players.

Mike Davis and Bruce Webber both made it to the championship game. Does that make them great coaches? I have never been a fan of the one hit wonders, flavors of the week.
Lol that’s not my point. Archie was awful (and I was dead wrong about him). Just pointing out that he did in fact sniff a sweet 16. Crean is lucky Cody Zeller bought into what he was selling otherwise he wouldn’t have sniffed one at IU either.

Lol that’s not my point. Archie was awful (and I was dead wrong about him). Just pointing out that he did in fact sniff a sweet 16. Crean is lucky Cody Zeller bought into what he was selling otherwise he wouldn’t have sniffed one at IU either.
He made Sweet 16 without CZ in 2016

He just needed his players. I think there was maybe one player left that was recruited by Crean. That was destroying the entire team chemistry. Remember those ridiculous posts during Archie’s year #4???
I don't know if people just don't want to admit when they are wrong but there were literally people wanting archie to get a fifth year. Like I said his best year was was with the crean players not his own players. Never liked hiring these one hit wonders

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT