ADVERTISEMENT

This ones on Allen

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Sheridans play calling was bad. And Womacks wasn’t much better.

But Allen is the one that sets or approves the overall game plan strategy. And it was terrible on both sides of the ball.

Not running the ball more, against the worst run defense we‘ll have played all year... it’s unjustifiable. And then not adjusting after it should have become obvious that the original plan of quick hitting out wide to Philyor and Fryfogle wasn’t working, at all...again, unjustifiable. Then going away from the run when we get near the red zone in a potential game winning drive...you got it, unjustifiable.

Defense...we did hold them to 26 points. But they missed some kicks. And were challenging in our half of the field nearly every possession. They had most of their position guys out. Yet we played conservative, on our heels, giving them space underneath all game. That isn’t our identity, and it goes against what has been successful against the full strength Ole Miss, let alone the shell that played us.

So, why in THE HELL, in the planning meetings, and/or in the game, didn’t Allen fix it?

Great season stained at the end with a horrible coaching performance across the board.

This was the best season for IU Football in 53 years. You've staining this board with your posts.

Am I now?

As I said great season. It’s ok to acknowledge that while calling out the crap performance today. And I do believe it will undo some of the well earned respect and progress Allen has gotten for our program.

Ive already gotten 5 texts from Purdue and ND fans with things like “what conference did IU not represent today?” “Is it LEO or LOL?” I don’t really care. I know we had a great year. But many saw today as justification that we really weren’t that good.

But Allen is the one that sets or approves the overall game plan strategy. And it was terrible on both sides of the ball.

Not running the ball more, against the worst run defense we‘ll have played all year... it’s unjustifiable. And then not adjusting after it should have become obvious that the original plan of quick hitting out wide to Philyor and Fryfogle wasn’t working, at all...again, unjustifiable. Then going away from the run when we get near the red zone in a potential game winning drive...you got it, unjustifiable.

Defense...we did hold them to 26 points. But they missed some kicks. And were challenging in our half of the field nearly every possession. They had most of their position guys out. Yet we played conservative, on our heels, giving them space underneath all game. That isn’t our identity, and it goes against what has been successful against the full strength Ole Miss, let alone the shell that played us.

So, why in THE HELL, in the planning meetings, and/or in the game, didn’t Allen fix it?

Great season stained at the end with a horrible coaching performance across the board.
You are right. This was horrible game planning and execution. How does the defense allow them to march down the field time and time again when 75% of their offense is out for the game? We finally tie the game and have momentum and they cannot get a stop. Instead we let them score in about a 3 minute drive. Just no heart on D. Allen is a defensive guy! What happened, is Lane Kiffin that much of a genius? We get no turnovers, no pressure, not aggressive. How often did Ole Miss even have to punt? Very poor performance on D.

Then on the next possession after their TD we are moving the ball well with a big catch and run over the middle. So they come back with a couple WR screens that are totally not open. Where iscthe TE over the middle? We abandon the run when it looks like we had worn them down with our running. Ole Miss should not have won this game.

One more thought about running the ball: I think it controls the game for IU, throws off their fast offense, and keeps their worst unit on the field. I can't believe there are people getting paid that didn't see this. We were our own worst enemy today.

Whoever called those stupid little jam screens on the final drive is an idiot. You put all your guys on one side the through a screen on first down and go nowhere- go figure.

Frigging cross your best receivers more and throw over the top to Hendershott. Football brains, tell me why they didn't do that. Tuttle maybe couldn't throw. But that screen play on 1st down was the least call ever on an important drive.

That might have worked TR but I think we had to keep PH in to block most of the time as their D-line was dominating - Tuttle having to throw from his back most of the time and not gettin ANY pressure on their QB was the glaring difference In the 2 teams today - hopefully we will be scouring the transfer portal for a kid who can rush the QB - still proud of this team and believe in the process.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Also,CTA mentioned that JT has the option to change the play based on his read at line of scrimmage ie run/pass - just saying it’s hard IMO to blame Sheridan without more inside knowledge of game plan - their defense sure didn’t look as advertised- we , obviously need to keep improving the talent level.

Whoever called those stupid little jam screens on the final drive is an idiot. You put all your guys on one side the through a screen on first down and go nowhere- go figure.

Frigging cross your best receivers more and throw over the top to Hendershott. Football brains, tell me why they didn't do that. Tuttle maybe couldn't throw. But that screen play on 1st down was the least call ever on an important drive.
Totally agree. How many times did we throw that screen to trips and it didn’t really go for any yardage. Whop was averaging under 5 yards a catch so throw to someone else. Why is it we hardly ever throw over the middle and continuously try the deep pass to the sideline. When is the last time you saw fryfogle catch one over the middle. Hendershot was hardly targeted. I could go on and on. Sheridan did a poor job. And they were prepared for our CB blitz but yet we still continued to try and gave up big yardage. Once even to their backup QB. How many times were we not ready on D because the players were waiting for the call to be made. I could go on but ....... And most likely you won’t see James back next year. Would be surprised if he came back.

Reactions: fieldjock
Also,CTA mentioned that JT has the option to change the play based on his read at line of scrimmage ie run/pass - just saying it’s hard IMO to blame Sheridan without more inside knowledge of game plan - their defense sure didn’t look as advertised- we , obviously need to keep improving the talent level.
That's good throw the kid under the bus!!

And one more thing that goes to show you that their heads were not into it today. When is the last time you ever saw any one (McFadden) catch a blocked kick and then kneel it down without even trying to go for a score?

Reactions: td75 and iueyedoc99
Totally agree. How many times did we throw that screen to trips and it didn’t really go for any yardage. Whop was averaging under 5 yards a catch so throw to someone else. Why is it we hardly ever throw over the middle and continuously try the deep pass to the sideline. When is the last time you saw fryfogle catch one over the middle. Hendershot was hardly targeted. I could go on and on. Sheridan did a poor job. And they were prepared for our CB blitz but yet we still continued to try and gave up big yardage. Once even to their backup QB. How many times were we not ready on D because the players were waiting for the call to be made. I could go on but ....... And most likely you won’t see James back next year. Would be surprised if he came back.
In Whop's defense, he was averaging about 8 when running towards IU's end zone and about 12 yards when running towards Ole Miss's end zone. That did lower his average. He looked way faster running away from defense than towards them.

Am I now?

As I said great season. It’s ok to acknowledge that while calling out the crap performance today. And I do believe it will undo some of the well earned respect and progress Allen has gotten for our program.

Ive already gotten 5 texts from Purdue and ND fans with things like “what conference did IU not represent today?” “Is it LEO or LOL?” I don’t really care. I know we had a great year. But many saw today as justification that we really weren’t that good.
Auburn just scored again on Purdue

Reactions: 76-1 and iulb
That's good throw the kid under the bus!!
There are two issues there. One is giving the kid that call to make in his second start in what you are calling the biggest game in history. The second is hinting to the press that the disasterous result wasn’t really on the staff.

In Whop's defense, he was averaging about 8 when running towards IU's end zone and about 12 yards when running towards Ole Miss's end zone. That did lower his average. He looked way faster running away from defense than towards them.

ok. that was funny.

Am I now?

I don’t think I’d get too upset by anything PU or ND fans say,they both have a lot of room to talk lol

Ive already gotten 5 texts from Purdue and ND fans with things like “what conference did IU not represent today?” “Is it LEO or LOL?” I don’t really care.
Oh no. 5 text messages from buddies who are fans of other programs! I'm so sorry to hear that. It's probably hard to say much to them given how well their programs have played for the last few games this year. Best to probably just sit there and take it from them. I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it, given those horrible circumstances. Please check in later today and let us know that you're OK.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

It's not.

Oh no. 5 text messages from buddies who are fans of other programs! I'm so sorry to hear that. It's probably hard to say much to them given how well their programs have played for the last few games this year. Best to probably just sit there and take it from them. I'm not sure if I'd be able to make it, given those horrible circumstances. Please check in later today and let us know that you're OK.

My thoughts and prayers are with you!

You're a douche.

Agree poor game plan. Coach Allen has admitted as much and has taken blame. As he should. Still awesome season and something to build on.

It will be interesting to see how Coach Allen responds. I'm all in on him no matter what. But the difference between good coaches and great ones is how they learn and improve from these situations.

Allen just moved himself into the top tier of B1G douchie coaches with Fleck, Frost and Franklin. Well played.

Win the game first, then posture and claim you deserved better.

Don't wanna wear the B1G patch? Fine. Give back some of that TV money you get from the B1G.

Reactions: St_Henry_Buckeye
I wasn't at yesterday's game. I was at last year's Gator Bowl. After an evening to digest things, I think I am more aggravated by yesterday. Not so much that IU was favored and lost, but that an Offensive Game Plan that obviously was not working (mostly sideways passes) wasn't adjusted MUCH earlier to go to what clearly was working, the run...The most basic, safest play in the book that Ole Miss couldn't stop. Only the IU OC did it for them.

Last year with PR and Sampson James at the Gator Bowl, it was abundantly clear in the 2nd qtr that IU couldn't run against UT's front (a much better D than Ole Miss). More quick passes and PR runs mixed things up enough to get the ball moving and IU into multiple FG attempts. Save for a special teams blunder late by the coaches, that would have been a win. Yesterday, even after tieing it at 20, then driving for the hopeful winning TD drive, was I confident that Sheridan would take advantage of the run to it's fullest. And he didn't. Even getting the plays called on the last drive seemed to be at too casual a pace.

For you football coaches here, at what point does a HC say, "the run is working Great Nick, RUN THE DAMN BALL!!"???

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
Allen just moved himself into the top tier of B1G douchie coaches with Fleck, Frost and Franklin. Well played.

Don't wanna wear the B1G patch? Fine. Give back some of that TV money you get from the B1G.
Why are so many Iowa fans coming on this board? You lost to Purdue. See you in September. Hope you enjoy starting your season with a loss.

Reactions: hookyIU1990

Thanks for stopping by and your concern for IU football.
You guys can’t win the easiest division in a power 5 conference so there’s that.

Why are so many Iowa fans coming on this board? You lost to Purdue. See you in September. Hope you enjoy starting your season with a loss.

These are people seeking some kind of validation in life. I guess they find it on message boards of other teams talking shit. I’m not sure I have seen anything coherent from Golfhacker or Carfino in the smattering of posts they have had here and then add in the guy from the Hawkeye drum and bugle corp and you get some really sad individuals. It it was it is. Life goes on and these buffoons are still trying to determine their place in life.

If I could I would. Sports has become a money circus. Average people can't afford to go to games and can't watch it on antenna TV due to the sell out. We pay coaches millions of dollars while half the people around me are struggling to keep up with their bills. I love sports, but it is not as important as some people think. So yes, turn back time to before the Big Ten network and all their corporate greed please. And while your at it, lose about 4 teams from this pitiful, biased conference so the Big Ten is actually ten and we have balanced schedules.

Yep. And they happen for reasons. Our bad game had a lot to do with poor gameplanning. And that sucks.
I agree. In contrast, Tuttle’s first start at Wisconsin the coaches called a great game on both sides of the ball. Everybody, players and coaches, seemed out of their comfort zone and it they didn’t adjust or even prepare for an SEC type team.

I wasn't at yesterday's game. I was at last year's Gator Bowl. After an evening to digest things, I think I am more aggravated by yesterday. Not so much that IU was favored and lost, but that an Offensive Game Plan that obviously was not working (mostly sideways passes) wasn't adjusted MUCH earlier to go to what clearly was working, the run...The most basic, safest play in the book that Ole Miss couldn't stop. Only the IU OC did it for them.

Last year with PR and Sampson James at the Gator Bowl, it was abundantly clear in the 2nd qtr that IU couldn't run against UT's front (a much better D than Ole Miss). More quick passes and PR runs mixed things up enough to get the ball moving and IU into multiple FG attempts. Save for a special teams blunder late by the coaches, that would have been a win. Yesterday, even after tieing it at 20, then driving for the hopeful winning TD drive, was I confident that Sheridan would take advantage of the run to it's fullest. And he didn't. Even getting the plays called on the last drive seemed to be at too casual a pace.

For you football coaches here, at what point does a HC say, "the run is working Great Nick, RUN THE DAMN BALL!!"???

Have to agree...

Allen has to shoulder the overall responsibility but Sheridan was most responsible for our offensive failure(s)... That was the worst game he's called all year...

I saw Tuttle get his throwing shoulder driven into the ground early on and figured he had, at minimum, a slight shoulder separation...

I've had two slight shoulder separations and one major one and I can tell you from experience that A) he really gutted it out and B) Sheridan should have been made aware of the situation and adjusted the play calling accordingly...

With even a "slight" shoulder separation you're in what I'd call "distraction level pain" and more importantly, you lose strength in the arm on the side that's injured... Leaving him in is understandable but not adjusting the play calling to match the reality of the situation isn't...

I was yelling Run the Damn Ball at the TV from mid-2nd qtr on... You don't go out of the way to stop yourself..., you make the other guy Prove he can stop you...

I think Sheridan overthought the problem going in and stayed too true to the original game plan while letting them scare him out of adjusting by giving the appearance of bringing a S up... Allen should have taken charge and told him to Run the Damn Ball...

There's plenty that Coach Allen and staff should learn from this... Let's hope they do so and move forward...

Crummy end to an otherwise memorable season... 😷😡

Last edited:
Am I now?

How did Purdue and Notre Dame do. Purdue back to back losing seasons. ND beats a team then gets totally destroyed by them. So who cares what they think.

Those screens are another way of running the the football so if you get 4 or 5 yards on a run play would you take it? True it was frustrating Whop trying to turn them into home runs just take the 4 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT