ADVERTISEMENT

This is what needs to happen TODAY

MikeHoncho69

Sophomore
Jan 15, 2018
If Scott Dolson is going to prove himself as the athletic director that FINALLY elevates this program to college basketball's upper tier, the following actions should be taken today if they haven't already:

1. Contact the IU Athletics donors who have pledged to contribute to Archie's buyout and a contract for a new coach. Ensure they are standing by and ready to write a check.
2. Get on the phone to the power brokers/decision makers/administration/board members and state the intention to fire Archie Miller.
3. Meet with Archie to inform him of his termination.
4. Contact IU's search firm and let them know the hunt for a coach is on. Work with them on contacting the agents for all coaching candidates.

It's time for Dolson and IU to walk the walk. If you want to be a blue blood, you better start acting like one.

If Scott Dolson is going to prove himself as the athletic director that FINALLY elevates this program to college basketball's upper tier, the following actions should be taken today if they haven't already:

1. Contact the IU Athletics donors who have pledged to contribute to Archie's buyout and a contract for a new coach. Ensure they are standing by and ready to write a check.
2. Get on the phone to the power brokers/decision makers/administration/board members and state the intention to fire Archie Miller.
4. Contact IU's search firm and let them know the hunt for a coach is on. Work with them on contacting the agents for all coaching candidates.

It's time for Dolson and IU to walk the walk. If you want to be a blue blood, you better start acting like one.
I don't think those are decisions Dolson makes on his own given the size of the buyout and his minimal tenure in the office. My guess is that the BOT is not going to sanction the AD to spend $10m on a buyout without serious debate. Especially not unless a proven alternative to Archie is already secured. For most of the guys mentioned here as a replacement, IU can't even contact them until their season ends. I don't think this decision is imminent either way. Nor should it be done hastily. IMO, any firing should be followed the next day by the announcement of a new hire. Otherwise, you are inviting an exodus of current players with no plan to replace them.

I don't think those are decisions Dolson makes on his own given the size of the buyout and his minimal tenure in the office. My guess is that the BOT is not going to sanction the AD to spend $10m on a buyout without serious debate. Especially not unless a proven alternative to Archie is already secured. For most of the guys mentioned here as a replacement, IU can't even contact them until their season ends. I don't think this decision is imminent either way. Nor should it be done hastily. IMO, any firing should be followed the next day by the announcement of a new hire. Otherwise, you are inviting an exodus of current players with no plan to replace them.
If there haven't been any discussions about Archie's future at IU -- whether in regard to keeping or letting him go -- IU will NEVER be able to consider itself a "blue blood" in college basketball. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina simply would not be resting on their laurels in the same situation.

The should already have a new coach in place. Nothing could be worse than firing CAM and then not being able to find a candidate that reenergizes the players and fan base.

Reactions: Mr.IU

Until we actually have a selection process that is sane and directed by folks who know basketball, we'll just get another unsuccessful coach.

The should already have a new coach in place. Nothing could be worse than firing CAM and then not being able to find a candidate that reenergizes the players and fan base.
What are the odds that Brad Stevens would walk away from the Celtics mid-season to take the IU job? I understand many view that as nothing more than a utopian dream, but I feel there is some legitimacy to it being a possibility.

Dude, no one is negotiating a new contract for a coach while the current one is still employed and while potential suitors are still coaching. You think Scott Drew or Eric Musselman are negotiating contract terms with Indiana as they're about to head to the NCAAT? Not how it works in this industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: still4IU and kkott
Dude, no one is negotiating a new contract for a coach while the current one is still employed and while potential suitors are still coaching. You think Scott Drew or Eric Musselman are negotiating contract terms with Indiana as their about to head to the NCAAT? Not how it works in this industry.
That's why coaches have agents.

What are the odds that Brad Stevens would walk away from the Celtics mid-season to take the IU job? I understand many view that as nothing more than a utopian dream, but I feel there is some legitimacy to it being a possibility.

No freaking chance. He would NEVER get another NBA head job pulling a stunt like that.

So Drew's agent is going to negotiate a potential exit from Baylor WITHOUT consulting him?
You're either foolish, naive or both if you don't think Scott Drew would take a few minutes out of his day to discuss the intricacies of a new contract offer with his agent, particularly if that new job includes a hefty raise from what he's currently making.

Reactions: IUgradman
If that's the case, an NBA head coach would only ever be able to take a college job if he was fired mid-season.

More than likely yes, but if Brad Stevens ever wanted to coach in the NBA again, he's not walking out on a playoff team in the middle of March. I can tell you that much.

You're either foolish, naive or both if you don't think Scott Drew would take a few minutes out of his day to discuss the intricacies of a new contract offer with his agent, particularly if that new job includes a hefty raise from what he's currently making.

Talking about a contract extension at his current job is entirely different than negotiating an exit strategy while currently coaching the #2 team in the country a week before the tournament starts. Which one are you?

More than likely yes, but if Brad Stevens ever wanted to coach in the NBA again, he's not walking out on a playoff team in the middle of March. I can tell you that much.
Three games separate the Celtics from the Bulls and Pacers, neither of which will be making the playoffs this season. Let's not act as if the Celtics are legitimate title contenders and that Stevens would be walking away from a chance to realistically win a ring...

Talking about a contract extension at his current job is entirely different than negotiating an exit strategy while currently coaching the #2 team in the country a week before the tournament starts. Which one are you?
Money talks, friend. IU would very likely offer a significantly larger contract than what Drew currently has at Baylor. If you think Drew would scoff at that and tell his agent not to bother him with it, you are mistaken.

Three games separate the Celtics from the Bulls and Pacers, neither of which will be making the playoffs this season. Let's not act as if the Celtics are legitimate title contenders and that Stevens would be walking away from a chance to realistically win a ring...

Walking out on a team in 4th place during the middle of the season to go coach collegiately is the easiest way to get black-balled from ever coaching in the League again. It doesn't work like that. Stevens isn't walking out on the Celtics in March to come coach Indiana.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Money talks, friend. IU would very likely offer a significantly larger contract than what Drew currently has at Baylor. If you think Drew would scoff at that and tell his agent not to bother him with it, you are mistaken.

IU very well could. He's not going to entertain it until the end of the season. Why would he? How much more value does Scott Drew add to his resume if he wins the whole damn thing vs flaming out before the S16?

Walking out on a team in 4th place during the middle of the season to go coach collegiately is the easiest way to get black-balled from ever coaching in the League again. It doesn't work like that. Stevens isn't walking out on the Celtics in March to come coach Indiana.

I agree but if the Celtics don't make it to the Eastern Conference Finals he would be (theoretically) available as early as mid-May..., which would give him just barely enough time to get things organized for summer workouts...

I can't even imagine the type of $$$$$$$$ it would take to make this happen but at this point he seems the only real answer...

Given that Stevens just signed a 5 or 6 year contract extension last August..., it seems highly unlikely that Ainge is interested in parting ways with him but you never know unless you try...

It would take some Really deep pockets to make this pipe dream happen... I wonder if there's anyone left out there with that much passion for INDIANA basketball...???

Fact of the matter is, no one single person on this forum knows how possible or impossible that is. So those speaking in absolutes are simply ignorant. It is possible we snag him. I would say more so than the last go round. If we don’t really try to have the conversation to judge if that is remotely possible, then the AD isn’t doing his job.

I agree but if the Celtics don't make it to the Eastern Conference Finals he would be (theoretically) available as early as mid-May..., which would give him just barely enough time to get things organized for summer workouts...

I can't even imagine the type of $$$$$$$$ it would take to make this happen but at this point he seems the only real answer...

Given that Stevens just signed a 5 or 6 year contract extension last August..., it seems highly unlikely that Ainge is interested in parting ways with him but you never know unless you try...

It would take some Really deep pockets to make this pipe dream happen... I wonder if there's anyone left out there with that much passion for INDIANA basketball...???
I think it’s a long shot. But I’d give it a solid 14% chance... (don’t ask me to share the math. You wouldn’t understand it)

• Haha
Reactions: Radio Zero
And an exodus of current players would be bad, because?
With the intense transfer portals because of this year if you were going to gut a team and restart this is the right time to do it. Gutting teams is no fun just ask Tom Crean. In my view if IU fired Archie and got a really great coach, and I mean a GREAT ONE, I truly doubt anyone would leave.

Ainge is going to get fired before Stevens. Sat on draft picks for years and didn't make enough moves to acquire the amount of talent to win immediately. It's very possible that if Ainge goes then Stevens goes given the new GM would want a potential fresh start, but that's a long ways out and if Indiana were to make a move in the next couple weeks struggle where IU would sit idle for potentially two months waiting on Stevens with the transfer market as hot as it is.

Ainge is going to get fired before Stevens. Sat on draft picks for years and didn't make enough moves to acquire the amount of talent to win immediately. It's very possible that if Ainge goes then Stevens goes given the new GM would want a potential fresh start, but that's a long ways out and if Indiana were to make a move in the next couple weeks struggle where IU would sit idle for potentially two months waiting on Stevens with the transfer market as hot as it is.

Well if the AD actually knows he's hiring Stevens he could let the "interm coach" use that information to lure Transfers our way...

Well if the AD actually knows he's hiring Stevens he could let the "interm coach" use that information to lure Transfers our way...

Lol what? Chances are the “interim” coach isn’t being retained by Stevens. And when the head coach goes, the staff goes unless it’s something that happens mid-year.

Lol what? Chances are the “interim” coach isn’t being retained by Stevens. And when the head coach goes, the staff goes unless it’s something that happens mid-year.

Never said he would be retained. All I'm saying is that if part of the interm coaches job is recruiting then the AD can either have him impart that bit of info as to who the new HC will be as of whatever date or he (the AD) can speak to them about it himself... Sorry I didn't make that clear...

Now don't go out of your way to be a smart ass.. I respect what you contribute on here and am just attempting to work through a highly unlikely situation that unfortunately appears to be our only really good solution to this mess (in my opinion)...

And before you feel the need to project anymore fits of laughter...; I think the entire scenario I've laid out is extremely unlikely to come to fruition...

Final thought: the Interm whoever he is is unlikely to be retained but his best (smart) move is to operate in a professional manner to the best of his ability with the reward being not only the $$$ he's paid but also a positive job review to carry with him to his next stop..., And...having done a good Interm job gives him an outside shot at being retained..

Last edited:

How would Dolson “know” he would be able to hire Stevens? Is he from the future?

How would Dolson “know” he would be able to hire Stevens? Is he from the future?

He'd know he's making a good faith attempt at the hire and that he has the financial backing to do so... Steven's agent could keep him abreast of the reality of the situation without any man to man contact... ((But I understand your point))

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT