ADVERTISEMENT

This Is the Most Commonly Stolen Food In the World, Data Says

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
dairy-aisle-1.jpg

Cheese is big business. According to Dairy Industries International, the global cheese sales surpassed $114.1 billion in 2019, and have followed a steady upward revenue pattern year over year. As it turns out, the cheese business is big enough that black market sales of it are also quite lucrative.

This may explain why a reported 4% of all cheese produced in any given year ends up stolen, which makes this delicious dairy product the most commonly stolen food in the world.

And it isn't just random shoplifters who steal cheese for their own consumption. Most of the 4% figure is comprised of larger-scale black market operations, where the goods end up being re-sold to shops and restaurants.

Notable incidents of cheese theft include a two-year operation running from 2014 until 2016, in which thieves operating in Italy's Province of Reggio Emilia stole an estimated $7 million-worth of Parmesan cheese, according to CBS News. Individual wheels of the cheese often sell for more than $500 and using that figure as a benchmark points to some 14,000 wheels pilfered in total, harming mostly small-scale artisanal makers in the region that's home to the Parmigiano-Reggiano trademark.

However, large-scale producers are targets of cheese theft, too. In 2019, two California men were arrested for stealing some $50,000-worth of mozzarella cheese over the course of a smaller two-year operation, according to KIRO 7. The goods were stolen from Leprino Foods, a global producer that makes some $3 billion-worth of mozzarella annually.

Overall, the United States is the world's largest market for cheese, with America accounting for some $25.9 billion of legally sold cheese annually as of 2019, according to Dairy Industries International. But if looking at consumption per capita, the Czech Republic is surprisingly the biggest consumer of cheese, with the average Czech citizen eating about 140 pounds of cheese annually.

dairy-aisle-1.jpg

Cheese is big business. According to Dairy Industries International, the global cheese sales surpassed $114.1 billion in 2019, and have followed a steady upward revenue pattern year over year. As it turns out, the cheese business is big enough that black market sales of it are also quite lucrative.

This may explain why a reported 4% of all cheese produced in any given year ends up stolen, which makes this delicious dairy product the most commonly stolen food in the world.

And it isn't just random shoplifters who steal cheese for their own consumption. Most of the 4% figure is comprised of larger-scale black market operations, where the goods end up being re-sold to shops and restaurants.

Notable incidents of cheese theft include a two-year operation running from 2014 until 2016, in which thieves operating in Italy's Province of Reggio Emilia stole an estimated $7 million-worth of Parmesan cheese, according to CBS News. Individual wheels of the cheese often sell for more than $500 and using that figure as a benchmark points to some 14,000 wheels pilfered in total, harming mostly small-scale artisanal makers in the region that's home to the Parmigiano-Reggiano trademark.

However, large-scale producers are targets of cheese theft, too. In 2019, two California men were arrested for stealing some $50,000-worth of mozzarella cheese over the course of a smaller two-year operation, according to KIRO 7. The goods were stolen from Leprino Foods, a global producer that makes some $3 billion-worth of mozzarella annually.

Overall, the United States is the world's largest market for cheese, with America accounting for some $25.9 billion of legally sold cheese annually as of 2019, according to Dairy Industries International. But if looking at consumption per capita, the Czech Republic is surprisingly the biggest consumer of cheese, with the average Czech citizen eating about 140 pounds of cheese annually.
Interesting. I heard on the radio today that Chicago white Sox fans drink more beer than any other fans. They average 4.2 beers a game at the ballpark.

dairy-aisle-1.jpg

A whole lot of Jesus in that article.

dairy-aisle-1.jpg

What that article doesn't tell you is that cheese consumption in the US isn't 100% market-driven. It's one of the biggest federally subsidized industries out there. We literally make more cheese than we know what to do with every year so the dairy industry has worked with the government to put laws on the books to incentivize excess use of cheese. It's why you have to ask not to include cheese on a sandwich or why there is a pound of cheese on pizza, or why cheese stuffed crust is a thing.

Reactions: sglowrider
What that article doesn't tell you is that cheese consumption in the US isn't 100% market-driven. It's one of the biggest federally subsidized industries out there. We literally make more cheese than we know what to do with every year so the dairy industry has worked with the government to put laws on the books to incentivize excess use of cheese. It's why you have to ask not to include cheese on a sandwich or why there is a pound of cheese on pizza, or why cheese stuffed crust is a thing.
Vomitaceous. I never eat cheese.

One time, I was ordering a pizza for carryout over the phone. I had the menu in front of me, and I asked for a pizza with pepperoni, sausage, and mushroom. When they gave me the total, it was for a price that was obviously for 4 toppings. I told them they got the total wrong, because I only had 3 toppings. The reply was, "No sir, you asked for cheese, pepperoni, sausage, and mushroom. I told them that I did not order extra cheese, but they claimed that cheese was a topping that they charged for. I told them they were stupid and hung up. They went out of business within the year.

...incentivize excess use of cheese. It's why you have to ask not to include cheese on a sandwich or why there is a pound of cheese on pizza, or why cheese stuffed crust is a thing.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Backasswards. “ I want to eat a burger, but don’t want all the decaying matter and microorganisms that come in meat.“
This is what I was thinking too. I also read somewhere that veggie burgers are kind of supposed to be transition foods to make it easier for people to switch to a plant-based diet.

Most of them aren't the healthiest things you can eat - especially the ones that packaged in the grocery stores - but most of them are still healthier than eating an actual burger.

This is what I was thinking too. I also read somewhere that veggie burgers are kind of supposed to be transition foods to make it easier for people to switch to a plant-based diet.

Most of them aren't the healthiest things you can eat - especially the ones that packaged in the grocery stores - but most of them are still healthier than eating an actual burger.
Goats right as far as that goes, better to just eat a salad. A good one. Lots of organic greens, especially the ones that taste horrible bitter.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I don't understand it at all. "I want to eat vegetables, but please make sure they look like meat. Thanks." Just eat a f*cking salad.
In actuality, it's

"I want to eat a burger, but at least one of the kids are home, and they're vegetarians, so I will pick up either beyond burgers or impossible burgers"

Season with a little salt and pepper and add olive oil to help w grilling, add lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, avocado, and cheese (vegan cheese, if the vegan daughter is home) and put it on a nice bakery bun.

Prepared right, beyond burgers & impossible burgers are about 95% of the way there to a "normal" burger.

Vegan cheese is kind of nasty though. It doesn't melt right. Made out of cashews or something.

In actuality, it's

"I want to eat a burger, but at least one of the kids are home, and they're vegetarians, so I will pick up either beyond burgers or impossible burgers"

Season with a little salt and pepper and add olive oil to help w grilling, add lettuce, tomato, grilled onions, avocado, and cheese (vegan cheese, if the vegan daughter is home) and put it on a nice bakery bun.

Prepared right, beyond burgers & impossible burgers are about 95% of the way there to a "normal" burger.

Vegan cheese is kind of nasty though. It doesn't melt right. Made out of cashews or something.
That’s so 2019. No bakery bun. Gotta go gluten-free. Use two leaves of romaine.

ADVERTISEMENT