ADVERTISEMENT

This is the Commander in Chief

This is getting the A Block treatment on Rachel.

First time I watched her show in a long time. She devoted the entire show to the story. She doesn’t do that very often.

And, it was really, really good.
I’m just tired of everything being unnamed sources is all. It’s hard to believe anybody would be that stupid to say such wretched things but it’s possible. Some named sources to swear to it would help lend credence.

Here’s an answer. From Twitter.

***.@JeffreyGoldberg on CNN says his senior admin & military sources...apparently combat veterans and career senior military officers... refused to be named because "they don't want to be inundated with angry tweets and all the rest."***

Because, it’s Twitter! It just be true!

In all seriousness, I can see why these folks would want to remain anonymous.

Trump is already priming his “base” to revolt. See the 17 year old kid in Kenosha, WI. The kid was front row at a Trump rally a few weeks before he decided to murder two people, and shoot a third. See also the “Trump caravan” of Trump groupies in Portland, OR that decided that it’s OK to mace protestors, Fire paintballs at them & also to try to run some of the protestors over with their vehicles.

That’s just two examples. I’m sure there are many more.

When you think about it in those terms, it makes perfect sense why they wouldn’t go on record. Anybody that speaks out against him now is at the mercy of the crazies.

Would you want yourself or your family targeted by these folks?

BTW, WaPo reported another detail.

[/URL]

Apparently Trump also said that he didn’t know why the US spends so many resources trying to recover POW’s (!).

The floodgates have been opened. It’s going to be a VERY interesting 60 days.

I disagree. His base will just refuse to believe it. They are in the Fox News echo chamber that says you can’t believe any news outlet except us. Worse they are in a crazy FB bubble.
Those are the "unreachables". There are still a number of people who might have finally had enough.

Reactions: Cortez88
He might be more generally, but I don't think so in this instance. I'm absolutely not the stereotypical warrior worshipper who genuflects to the flag and venerates any and all who served in the armed forces, and this made even my stomach churn.
My sense is that Americans today are far more transactional and distracted than they were in the past . . . all generations . . . does that sound like someone you know?

Do you remember the conversation we had here when Trump was trying to undo Obamacare, and someone - Thyrsis? - related a story about how he overheard a couple of people talking about how happy they were that Obamacare was being undone . . . one of them asked what the other was going to do about health insurance, and she replied that it was no problem, she'd get a policy under the ACA . . .

. . . I have the sense that Americans don't see the big picture well enough and respond to symbolic speech without realizing the real-life effects of that response . . . for example, my mother (96 this month) lives in an independent living facility where all of the residents are on social security, and they're all applauding Trump's move to eliminate payroll taxes . . . obviously believing that taxes are bad . . . without having a damned clue what that move will have on their personal incomes. They honestly believe they'll continue to get social security and Medicare anyway. The folks I'm talking about here are a few remnants of the Greatest Generation, the Korean War generation, and the vanguard of the Baby Boomer generation . . .

. . . and I see much the same thing among those younger too. They don't understand taxes . . . at all . . . they think that the government is just taking "their money" . . . but believe that the roads should be paved smooth at all times, that the garbage should be picked up on time, and "someone" should remove every inconvenience from their path . . . and if they don't get that then their "rights" - constitutional rights today - have been violated.

It's such crap . . .

. . . I know, I know, I should get the old man yelling at clouds meme out on myself . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
. . . I know, I know, I should get the old man yelling at clouds meme out on myself . . . .

1o5ybheh25731.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark
The notion that Trump is a selfish, elite snob, POS asshole isn't new news. Most know that.

What first concerns me is that he's got frantically waving red flags that's he wants to be an authoritarian strongman like the leaders that he is jealous of.

What baffling is that is the kind of leader that I would expect our freedom loving conservatives would reject but instead, Trump has played on a big section of the right's anger and resentment that his authoritarian rhetoric resonates.

That is textbook for how an authoritarian leader rises.

So I'm hoping this story is true and sticks.

The notion that Trump is a selfish, elite snob, POS asshole isn't new news. Most know that.

What first concerns me is that he's got frantically waving red flags that's he wants to be an authoritarian strongman like the leaders that he is jealous of.

What baffling is that is the kind of leader that I would expect our freedom loving conservatives would reject but instead, Trump has played on a big section of the right's anger and resentment that his authoritarian rhetoric resonates.

Yabbut, Biden is old and says stupid stuff.

Just to tie it in somewhere, the president has ordered Stars and Stripes shut down. Their last paper will be on September 30.

Trump gives narcissists a bad name . . . .

Reactions: hoot1
His supporters didn't care about him making fun of a disabled person. why would they care about him disparaging the military?

His supporters didn't care about him making fun of a disabled person. why would they care about him disparaging the military?
Because vets are an impt part of his base. My relatives are hardcore military. And vote. If that comment sticks they will lose their shit over it.

I do agree someone should come forward. We all remember how the Trump apparachiki honored the testimony of Lt Col Vindman and how they thanked him for his service to his country.

The prior episodes with Kelly, Mattis, McCain, McChrystal and McRaven just prove how off-brand this article seems. ;)
Sarcasm?

Reactions: iu-in-philly
You, Are. Talking. To. A. Parrot.

He doesn't know what he's saying he's just repeating the words. Ask him all about journalism, history, or anything else required to understand the news. 10 to 1 he's clueless and will only repeat what he's been trained to repeat.
Do you always just blindly believe whatever the media says even when they use anonymous sources? You are the one parroting a story as true based on nothing but conjecture and speculation.

Do you always just blindly believe whatever the media says even when they use anonymous sources? You are the one parroting a story as true based on nothing but conjecture and speculation.

Did you see that the author had 4 sources and then both the AP and Wapo confirmed with their sources? What are your preferred media sources?

Of course the Lincoln Project is already on it. Democrats owe these folks for getting shit done.

The only explanation I can think of for Trump's attitude on this is a psychoanalytical one - one that I am no where near qualified to make. But it's almost as if Trump thinks of fallen heroes as examples of how he personally falls short of the perfection that he seems compelled to think of himself as attaining.

I think @iu-in-philly used to have a quote in his signature . . . something to the effect of this T.S. Eliot quote:

“Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm; but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves.”

I've often thought that this was an explanation for folks' tinkering around with the world on a much smaller scale . . . but it seems to fit with Trump. Bigly.

The only explanation I can think of for Trump's attitude on this is a psychoanalytical one - one that I am no where near qualified to make. But it's almost as if Trump thinks of fallen heroes as examples of how he personally falls short of the perfection that he seems compelled to think of himself as attaining.
I think the Atlantic article explained it. He's totally transactional. There has to be something in it for him. And he can't imagine how the sacrifice of military service has any payoff. Nobody ever got rich from military service. Except for maybe @Aloha Hoosier.

Honest question . . . do you think that Trump's election - assuming he has the sensibility about military sacrifices that this article represents he has - is reflective of Americans more generally? In other words, is Trump more representative of the country's people than we'd like to admit?

There’s a difference between supporting our military folks and disagreeing with going to war/engaging in conflicts around the world.

I’d be shocked if even a substantial minority of Americans felt like Trump does. There’s not much we’re unified on as a country these days. However, this is as close as any issue when it comes to Americans in agreeing on something.

There’s a difference between supporting our military folks and disagreeing with going to war/engaging in conflicts around the world.

I’d be shocked if even a substantial minority of Americans felt like Trump does. There’s not much we’re unified on as a country these days. However, this is as close as any issue when it comes to Americans in agreeing on something.
If you're right, and this story sticks, Trump's reelection is toast if for no other reason than many, many people will have a reason not to show up on election day to vote for him.

Now I'm starting to wonder what effect might this story have down-ballot . . . all those faux conservatives like Kelly Loeffler who've hitched their electoral wagons to Trump . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
Do losers include egotists who wear shoe lifts to increase their height and end up with bone spurs.

John Bolton wrote about the incident in his book and says that it was weather related and he sticks by it. And he is no fan of Trump. Take that how you will.

John Bolton wrote about the incident in his book and says that it was weather related and he sticks by it. And he is no fan of Trump. Take that how you will.
But Bolton did say this:

While Mr. Bolton said he did not hear the president disparage troops, he added that Mr. Trump did not protest the decision, as he now says he did. “He didn’t say, ‘This is terrible, I have to go out to the veterans,’” Mr. Bolton said. “He accepted it and that was pretty much the end of it.” Having said that, Mr. Bolton added, the reported comments were not out of character. “I haven’t heard anybody yet react to say, ‘That’s not the Donald Trump I know,’” he said.

lmao ...

Called it ... more squawking, no thought.

Just to tie it in somewhere, the president has ordered Stars and Stripes shut down. Their last paper will be on September 30.
I loved the Stars and Stripes when I lived overseas when it was the primary source of news for us. I still surf to read it from time to time, but not often. I don't believe the President ordered it to be shut down. I've only read that the Pentagon determined it was no longer a good use of about $15 million or so per year. In reality, it probably isn't. I rarely saw anyone reading a hard copy of Stars and Stripes my last 10 years or so of active duty. Even on ships, Sailors can surf the web just about every day and see the same news (and sports news - Sailors' favorite probably) that the rest of America does. I'd think they'd keep the website going though, even if the hard copies are no longer cost effective.

Agreed. So if he is one of the sources he should come out. I doubt it was Kelly because Kelly would’ve beaten the shit out of him. I’m with Jonah Goldberg on this one.

I believe the story. I've heard from many connected people in the DoD many rumors of similar behavior and comments from the President. He's not popular at all among the brass, but of course they serve the same as they do under any CinC. I do share your dislike of stories based entirely on a few anonymous sources and also believe someone should go on the record.

I disagree about Kelly, I don't think he nor any other military active duty senior officer (or retired senior officer) would ever physically assault the President. It goes entirely against the grain. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly or others would verbally make it clear how much they disagree with the President's comments in a case like that.

But Bolton did say this:

While Mr. Bolton said he did not hear the president disparage troops, he added that Mr. Trump did not protest the decision, as he now says he did. “He didn’t say, ‘This is terrible, I have to go out to the veterans,’” Mr. Bolton said. “He accepted it and that was pretty much the end of it.” Having said that, Mr. Bolton added, the reported comments were not out of character. “I haven’t heard anybody yet react to say, ‘That’s not the Donald Trump I know,’” he said.

Yeah, I guess there is something there for everyone. Bolton has an ax to grind though and did not take the opportunity to grind it on this issue. And Bolton is someone who put his name behind his accusations. So I am inclined to lean his way on events than unnamed sources.

I believe the story. I've heard from many connected people in the DoD many rumors of similar behavior and comments from the President. He's not popular at all among the brass, but of course they serve the same as they do under any CinC. I do share your dislike of stories based entirely on a few anonymous sources and also believe someone should go on the record.

I disagree about Kelly, I don't think he nor any other military active duty senior officer (or retired senior officer) would ever physically assault the President. It goes entirely against the grain. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly or others would verbally make it clear how much they disagree with the President's comments in a case like that.

John Bolton:

""I didn't hear that," Bolton told The New York Times. "I'm not saying he didn't say them later in the day or another time, but I was there for that discussion."

This kind of non-sourced story is scary. The subjet can't ever prove a negative.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

Apparatntly this subject provided the basis for some qustions at the Biden presser this morning. Meanwhile, Trump announces the Serbia-Kosovo deal; the August new jobs report exceeded expectations; and unemployment crashed down through 10%. I guess the "loser" comment being the "A block" topic of the media-Democratic news is actualy good news for Trump. Not many care about that stuff outside of the D.C. Beltway or NYC.

I think the Atlantic article explained it. He's totally transactional. There has to be something in it for him. And he can't imagine how the sacrifice of military service has any payoff. Nobody ever got rich from military service. Except for maybe @Aloha Hoosier.
Military pay isn't nearly so bad as it once was. If we don't pay well we wouldn't be able to maintain a volunteer military with the solid and talented personnel that we have. Of course military personnel aren't looking to get rich like corporate executives and entrepeneurs get rich and money isn't the primary reason they serve, but they can make a good living. My pay and allowances put me in the a good six figure range between $100,000 and $200,000 depending on where I was living. For example serving on my last ship stationed in San Diego was closer to $200K because of sea pay, VHA for San Diego, CO/XO bonus, family separation allowance (not a lot) when at sea and on deployment, tax free when in a combat zone, etc. It was closer to $150K in Dayton. Yeah, from my trailer park origin perspective that was "rich," but from a broader perspective it wasn't. You can see what the military makes here.

I'm much closer to being "rich" now. From my original perspective, I'm "filthy rich," though I know people much filthier. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT