ADVERTISEMENT

This Is More Important Than Anything Else Affecting INDIANA FOOTBALL-

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana
We need to kick up Wommack's salary up to $770,000 (from a reported current $460,000) and keep him here for hopefully another couple of years...

South Alabama has come calling..., in my opinion, we need to do our best to keep him until it's just impossible $-wise not to...

We can call and raise a S.Alabama offer..., and in my opinion, we'd be foolish not to...

First big decision for our new AD... Let's hope he rises to the challenge...

Unless Kane wants to be a HC and think's he's ready. Not sure $$$ matters at that point...

He clearly thinks of himself as being ready after being a finalist at USM and, an apparent, finalist at USA. These two schools are within an hour of one another. His past experience at USA would help recruiting plus a new stadium.

IMO, he needs more seasoning, but the handwriting is on the wall ...

We need to kick up Wommack's salary up to $770,000 (from a reported current $460,000) and keep him here for hopefully another couple of years...

South Alabama has come calling..., in my opinion, we need to do our best to keep him until it's just impossible $-wise not to...

We can call and raise a S.Alabama offer..., and in my opinion, we'd be foolish not to...

We've got an international building to pay for

He clearly thinks of himself as being ready after being a finalist at USM and, an apparent, finalist at USA. These two schools are within an hour of one another. His past experience at USA would help recruiting plus a new stadium.

IMO, he needs more seasoning, but the handwriting is on the wall ...
He gone.

Reactions: kmathum

I'd like to see us retain Wommack.

Do you think it's possible that if he holds on another year ... putting a little distance between COVID and the associated budget pressures that could suppress salaries ... he may find that he's worth a buck or two more in a year or two? Perhaps becomes more attractive to a higher profile program?

Do you think it's possible that if he holds on another year ... putting a little distance between COVID and the associated budget pressures that could suppress salaries ... he may find that he's worth a buck or two more in a year or two? Perhaps becomes more attractive to a higher profile program?

That's the smart play for him, in my opinion...

It would be easier for him to recruit to wherever he goes if he has a clear record of two years of being the key coach involved in knocking off the big boys and helping put a long suffering program on top...

He'd double his asking price if he sticks things out another year or two And he'll be able to go somewhere like F$U rather than a couple of tiers down...

Last edited:

CKW went from OC to B1G head coach.

We paid DeBoar ~ 1M a year I believe. Could be wrong. So I think it is possible. But not sure how Covid will affect salaries/ raises.
Time to call up the boosters. IU has to go all in here to stay successful.
Covid is not going to allow any big money moves for at least another year. If Wommack wants to cash in quick we'll just have to wave goodbye, unless some big dollar donor wants to bridge the gap.

Covid is not going to allow any big money moves for at least another year. If Wommack wants to cash in quick we'll just have to wave goodbye, unless some big dollar donor wants to bridge the gap.

If our AD actually IS the right guy for the job he'll find a way to get this done... That is if we really Do have any actual Football fans in our donor community...

Guess we'll find out on both counts...

COVID19 or no COVID19..., if we can't find a way to come up with an additional $310,000 x 3 or 4 years, to keep a coach who's been one of the keys to bringing us the best Big Ten record since 1967 then, in my opinion, we simply aren't serious about consistently competing at a Championship level...

If we let a guy like this go for what most big time programs would consider chump change..., Tom Allen might just be right behind him a year or two later...

Here's a chance for Dolson to step up and make a Statement about our Real commitment to FOOTBALL...; I sure hope he finds a way to meet the challenge...

Last edited:
If our AD actually IS the right guy for the job he'll find a way to get this done... That is if we really Do have any actual Football fans in our donor community...

Guess we'll find out on both counts...

COVID19 or no COVID19..., if we can't find a way to come up with an additional $310,000 x 3 or 4 years, to keep a coach who's been one of the keys to bringing us the best Big Ten record since 1967 then, in my opinion, we simply aren't serious about consistently competing at a Championship level...

If we let a guy like this go for what most big time programs would consider chump change..., Tom Allen might just be right behind him a year or two later...

Here's a chance for Dolson to step up and make a Statement about our Real commitment to FOOTBALL...; I sure hope he finds a way to meet the challenge...
It isn’t about money, and good programs lose assistants all the time, it looks like his job to lose and he should take it, great opportunity. Plenty of good replacement options, we have one on staff already who would likely be the choice. Listen when Ballou left the sky was falling, oh, really good replacement found. When DeBoer left the sky was falling again, oh, appears Sheridan is a really good replacement.
No matter what happens, you have to be happy for these guys, and when CTA has a program that is yearly getting assistants head jobs elsewhere, guess what ? IU becomes a pretty attractive place to be an assistant. For so many years we never lost anyone, what does that tell you ?

Should be a no brainer

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
CKW went from OC to B1G head coach.
Wilson was OC at national champ OK! Then to HC in B10. Not 2-yr DC to whatever Conference that’s in. I’m all for best opportunities for anyone. But If he wants to risk irrelevance at South Alabama, knock yourself out. Grass isn’t always greener and better future HC opportunities if he sticks at IU even one more year like this one.

It isn’t about money, and good programs lose assistants all the time, it looks like his job to lose and he should take it, great opportunity. Plenty of good replacement options, we have one on staff already who would likely be the choice. Listen when Ballou left the sky was falling, oh, really good replacement found. When DeBoer left the sky was falling again, oh, appears Sheridan is a really good replacement.
No matter what happens, you have to be happy for these guys, and when CTA has a program that is yearly getting assistants head jobs elsewhere, guess what ? IU becomes a pretty attractive place to be an assistant. For so many years we never lost anyone, what does that tell you ?
Well said. Plus Allen is hot right now, other rising stars would want to come and have a chance to beat OSU, UM, etc. Career management isn’t easy, you shouldn’t just take any job. What if he goes there and they don’t kill it, but more like 6-5, 7-4 and 4-6? Then he’s in purgatory or fired, and has to go rehab somewhere hopefully as DC or LB Coach in NFL, good pay but not even a coordinator?

He stays at IU and they keep winning like this season, maybe beat OSU, he’ll be a hotter commodity with. Enter options in front of him. But he’s from the south, maybe he’s be happy as HC at South Alabama? If he does go, fans should not worry, there are always good options out there. (And I want him to stay to be clear. I didn’t love him last year but think he’s had a superb year 2!)

Reactions: vesuvius13
If he goes, get his dad to come and replace him. However, Kane will probably talk his dad into being his DC for the short term. I hope he doesn't poach Heard or Hart to be his OC. I know CTA can probably get good replacements but I hate seeing the " revolving door" situation. Would love to see what this staff could do if they stay together a few more years.

Last edited:

So, in essence, you are setting up our new AD to be a failure in your eyes and possibly setting yourself up for disappointment.

As others have stated, money is not everyone's motivating factor. If KM's motivating factor is to be a head coach then he is probably gone unless he thinks he can up his resume by staying another year or two.

"in my opinion, we need to do our best to keep him until it's just impossible $-wise not to...". I absolutely agree with this statement but the problem is, we will probably never know what goes on behind closed doors. SD could offer him exactly what you propose or even more and he could still be gone.

If that scenario plays out, you will next post that he failed his first "big decision" when that would not be true.

Wilson was OC at national champ OK! Then to HC in B10. Not 2-yr DC to whatever Conference that’s in. I’m all for best opportunities for anyone. But If he wants to risk irrelevance at South Alabama, knock yourself out. Grass isn’t always greener and better future HC opportunities if he sticks at IU even one more year like this one.
That was my point...compare their trajectories and time in service.

Well said. Plus Allen is hot right now, other rising stars would want to come and have a chance to beat OSU, UM, etc. Career management isn’t easy, you shouldn’t just take any job. What if he goes there and they don’t kill it, but more like 6-5, 7-4 and 4-6? Then he’s in purgatory or fired, and has to go rehab somewhere hopefully as DC or LB Coach in NFL, good pay but not even a coordinator?

He stays at IU and they keep winning like this season, maybe beat OSU, he’ll be a hotter commodity with. Enter options in front of him. But he’s from the south, maybe he’s be happy as HC at South Alabama? If he does go, fans should not worry, there are always good options out there. (And I want him to stay to be clear. I didn’t love him last year but think he’s had a superb year 2!)
The Sun Belt conference plays pretty good football, Coastal Carolina and Louisiana (who beat #7 in the CFB rankings Iowa State by 17) are both top 25 teams. Wommack has already coached there and knows it’s fertile recruiting grounds, plus they have good facilities and a brand new stadium. This is an outstanding opportunity for a young coach, who frankly, doesn’t have a ton of experience. Staying here another couple of years isn’t getting him a power 5 HC job, he needs to go prove himself as a HC , then those jobs may become available to him.

Last edited:
Reactions: mobilehoosier
The Sun Belt conference plays pretty good football, Coastal Carolina and Louisiana (who beat #7 in the CFB rankings Iowa State by 17) are both top 25 teams. Wommack has already coached there and knows it’s fertile recruiting grounds, plus they have good facilities and a brand new stadium. This is an outstanding opportunity for a young coach, who frankly, doesn’t have a ton of experience. Staying here another couple of years isn’t getting him a power 5 HC job, he needs to go prove himself as a HC , then those jobs may become available to him.

I hope you're wrong but I understand and acknowledge all of the counterpoints...

I still think we could offer him a package he'd have trouble refusing if we're serious about keeping him...

I'm expecting Big things in 2021 and Really don't want to see this particular band break up until 2023 (if we're as successful by then as I expect us to be it'll be damn near impossible to keep this staff intact)...

I hope you're wrong but I understand and acknowledge all of the counterpoints...

I still think we could offer him a package he'd have trouble refusing if we're serious about keeping him...

I'm expecting Big things in 2021 and Really don't want to see this particular band break up until 2023 (if we're as successful by then as I expect us to be it'll be damn near impossible to keep this staff intact)...
We can’t offer him a head coach position ! Apparently Arkansas State has also contacted him, so I think you better resign yourself to the fact , Kane Wommack will ,in all likelihood ,be a head coach somewhere next year. (I would bet on USA).
It will in no way be a reflection on Indiana for not making him a good offer, it is a career altering move for him, and IU will be fine moving forward one way or another.

We can’t offer him a head coach position ! Apparently Arkansas State has also contacted him, so I think you better resign yourself to the fact , Kane Wommack will ,in all likelihood ,be a head coach somewhere next year. (I would bet on USA).
It will in no way be a reflection on Indiana for not making him a good offer, it is a career altering move for him, and IU will be fine moving forward one way or another.

Looks like we'll have to ante up $ 1.1 mil then... Whatever it takes to keep this staff together for at least one more year...

It’s not just Womack we need to offer $$s.
We will need more for TA, and several assistants!
As someone said, especially this COVID year, we will need some financing “outside” the athletic Dept.
It’s actually a good problem to have.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think the jury is still out about Sheridan. We didn't score much when Penix was in there against Maryland and the Defense has kept us in most games. Our offensive stats, except for passing against O$U (with no rushing yards), is nothing great. We do score well in the red zone, which is an improvement.

Our running game definitely improved against Wisconsin, which is a very goood sign.

I'm just not prepared to annoint him quite yet.

Correct Johnsy: South Alabama is minutes from my house. They just completed a new on-campus stadium and inside-out practice facility. (In the south you don't have to completely enclose your in door practice building.) Everything is first class but not as cool as B-town. If Kane wants a HC job South Alabama is a pretty good one. Hope he doesn't want a HC job yet. Go Hoosiers!

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think the jury is still out about Sheridan. We didn't score much when Penix was in there against Maryland and the Defense has kept us in most games. Our offensive stats, except for passing against O$U (with no rushing yards), is nothing great. We do score well in the red zone, which is an improvement.

Our running game definitely improved against Wisconsin, which is a very goood sign.

I'm just not prepared to annoint him quite yet.
No one has ”anointed” anyone, I said he “appears” to be very good, and I’ll stick by that. I also remember a lot of folks questioning Wommack last year, I think Sheridan has done just fine and will only get better.

Looks like we'll have to ante up $ 1.1 mil then... Whatever it takes to keep this staff together for at least one more year...
You can offer him 1.5 mil, but if he wants to be a HC it won’t matter, not sure why that is so hard to understand.

Reactions: Al Bino
You can offer him 1.5 mil, but if he wants to be a HC it won’t matter, not sure why that is so hard to understand.

I understand clearly... My point simply is that we need to do everything humanly possible to make his decision to move this year a really tough one..., and an obviously foolish one...

Now..., If he's simply in love when the idea of being HC at South Alabama while making half a mil less then we can offer him, then nothing can be done to change his mind...
I'm also of the opinion that South Alabama is a dead end job where he'd be putting in twenty hour days, 7 days a week for Head Coach salary chump change... If he wants that Head Coach "title" though then he's gone... (does that sentence make you happy[?])...

I believe that the same job will again be available to him 3-4 years from now if that's his life long dream position...

Last edited:
I understand clearly... My point simply is that we need to do everything humanly possible to make his decision to move this year a really tough one..., and an obviously foolish one...

Now..., If he's simply in love when the idea of being HC at South Alabama while making half a mil less then we can offer him, then nothing can be done to change his mind...
I'm also of the opinion that South Alabama is a dead end job where he'd be putting in twenty hour days, 7 days a week for Head Coach salary chump change... If he wants that Head Coach "title" though then he's gone... (does that sentence make you happy[?])...

I believe that the same job will again be available to him 3-4 years from now if that's his life long dream position...
“Obviously a foolish one” , “USA a dead end job”, these are the comments where we disagree, and that’s ok.
Anyone worth their salt better be putting in 20 hour days or they aren’t going to be very successful, I don’t care where you are coaching. If a 33 year old DC, with a pretty thin resume (many on here LAST year didn’t think he had what it took to be our DC) doesn’t accept a HC job, if offered, then his motivation could start to be questioned . You have no idea what the IU defense will be next year or the year after, so to say he will have those same opportunities in 3 or 4 years is a total guess on your part. You still think Tennessee would want Brohm as their HC ? Couple years ago they sure did, can anyone say with a straight face they saw Purdue going downhill like they have after year 1 of Brohm? Point being, if you want to be a HC, and a job is offered, you take it. Especially if it’s a place you have coached before, you know the people, the area and you like living there, then money isn’t the top priority.
BTW, I hope he stays also, but I believe he will do what he thinks is right for him, and I don’t think IU has the power to change that decision, it will not be on Dolson if he does leave.

Reactions: Al Bino and 76-1
“Obviously a foolish one” , “USA a dead end job”, these are the comments where we disagree, and that’s ok.
Anyone worth their salt better be putting in 20 hour days or they aren’t going to be very successful, I don’t care where you are coaching. If a 33 year old DC, with a pretty thin resume (many on here LAST year didn’t think he had what it took to be our DC) doesn’t accept a HC job, if offered, then his motivation could start to be questioned . You have no idea what the IU defense will be next year or the year after, so to say he will have those same opportunities in 3 or 4 years is a total guess on your part. You still think Tennessee would want Brohm as their HC ? Couple years ago they sure did, can anyone say with a straight face they saw Purdue going downhill like they have after year 1 of Brohm? Point being, if you want to be a HC, and a job is offered, you take it. Especially if it’s a place you have coached before, you know the people, the area and you like living there, then money isn’t the top priority.
BTW, I hope he stays also, but I believe he will do what he thinks is right for him, and I don’t think IU has the power to change that decision, it will not be on Dolson if he does leave.
You don't think Kane might want to stay 1 more year since most of the D returns and it "appears" we will have an even better overall team next year ? Seems there are a lot of positives plus maybe a better job than SA opening up, just asking your opinion.

Reactions: 76-1
You don't think Kane might want to stay 1 more year since most of the D returns and it "appears" we will have an even better overall team next year ? Seems there are a lot of positives plus maybe a better job than SA opening up, just asking your opinion.
No I don’t, I think this deal is almost done (or possibly already is, I’d bet on an announcement today), I just don’t think you turn down a bird in the hand.

First..., I have nearly always enjoyed your posts (except when you're telling me how wrong I am😉😎)... You seem to clearly have access to solid information and your insights are always appreciated...

Second..., my original post(s) in regards to Dolson was/were intended to "light a fire" under him so to speak... If Wommack leaves after a good faith effort is made to keep him then that's on Wommack not Dolson...

Third..., I stand by what I said about South Alabama being a dead end job... In my "opinion", Wommack IS being foolish in taking the first HC job made available... That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it...

Now from what's been posted this morning it reads like he's gone..., so good call (again)...

Here's a: "Thank You for Your Efforts" (to Wommack) and "Good Luck"!

First..., I have nearly always enjoyed your posts (except when you're telling me how wrong I am😉😎)... You seem to clearly have access to solid information and your insights are always appreciated...

Second..., my original post(s) in regards to Dolson was/were intended to "light a fire" under him so to speak... If Wommack leaves after a good faith effort is made to keep him then that's on Wommack not Dolson...

Third..., I stand by what I said about South Alabama being a dead end job... In my "opinion", Wommack IS being foolish in taking the first HC job made available... That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it...

Now from what's been posted this morning it reads like he's gone..., so good call (again)...

Here's a: "Thank You for Your Efforts" (to Wommack) and "Good Luck"!
I , too, appreciate your posts, and I’m not trying to tell you how wrong you are, I just don’t want the reason for KW leaving (if he does🙂) to be misconstrued. For years we did not step up to the plate, but lately that isn’t true, and IU fans need to understand that with success, these things happen. I get we aren’t used to success, and we certainly haven’t been used to having our coaches swiped for HC gigs ! But in the end, while losing coaches like DeBoer and Wommack hurts because we like the product and want continuity, seeing guys move on to become HC’s makes IU a much more desirable destination for good assistants.

Reactions: eddy4iu and 76-1
I , too, appreciate your posts, and I’m not trying to tell you how wrong you are, I just don’t want the reason for KW leaving (if he does🙂) to be misconstrued. For years we did not step up to the plate, but lately that isn’t true, and IU fans need to understand that with success, these things happen. I get we aren’t used to success, and we certainly haven’t been used to having our coaches swiped for HC gigs ! But in the end, while losing coaches like DeBoer and Wommack hurts because we like the product and want continuity, seeing guys move on to become HC’s makes IU a much more desirable destination for good assistants.

Here's a : Thank You for Your Efforts! (On Here) too... Always enjoy your insights...🇺🇸

Reactions: JohnsyRick
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT