ADVERTISEMENT

This Is Freak'In Awesome For IU Football

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
Did we get hosed? On paper, YES by both the B10 and NCAA football. Multiple times by each.

But our "allowed" game with Ole Miss is a much better situation for IU football, and its growth.

Tampa, FL is "HOME' for IU football & to possibly win a bowl against Allen's old school in Tampa. (That's good stuff)

We gotta keep that Tampa talent flowing into Bloomington. So, thank you B10 for having our backs again..

He gets the win and is allowed to keep pushing the team forward with momentum.

I think our recent resume did not look good to some folks. For a variety of reasons.

MP is hurt - people turn on the tv to watch him. If he was 100%, I think a lot of things would be different.

COVID - Nobody has seen us play for a few weeks. Zero eye tests in the last few weeks..

Jack Tuttle has one game under his belt. The Purdy kid from ISU can sling it. It's all about the QB. We are still not good enough yet to take our #2 into the football royalty bowls.

I don't mind that ISU was the team that edged us, as both of our programs are outsiders. Frankly, they have strung together more winning seasons lately. Plus, it reaches another TV market.

Bring back the bowl and a bunch of recruits. Go IU!!

Yes, we get to actually go to this game.

Yes, this is good for our recruits and families.

Yes, we have a better shot at winning this game.

However, the opportunity for programs like IU to get into a premier bowl like the Fiesta Bowl come along once in a lifetime. Not only that, the opponent would have been an unranked Oregon team.

It hurts seeing a team who got smashed at home by Louisiana, had to hold on in the last minute for 3 of their wins (Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma), and lost 3 games, get that opportunity instead of us.

The only thing that could make sense to me is that the committee thought without Penix that we weren't better than Iowa State.

I'm actually most upset with the Big Ten AD. He should have scheduled Iowa-Indiana for Champions week, giving one of those teams a quality win on their resume for the Fiesta Bowl. Instead he scheduled games that had no shot of being played and screwed the conference out of a NY6 bowl.

Reactions: Tegray1 and ulrey
At the end of the day, I’m okay with any bowl - now it’s time to remove another AFLAC trivia question and WIN a bowl (though the field goal in Pinstripe against Duke was good). I’m also good with highlighting the biased and political nature of the process and how we were negatively impacted. It’s a black eye and embarrassment for college football.

If Warren was even semi-competent as a negotiator and salesman for the conference, we wouldn’t be in this mess. He’s not ready to play big boy football.

Well, would you rather by IU and play in the Outback or be a 9-2 Army team and get left out of any bowl all together. I agree IU got the shaft on this one and I think Penix played a big roll in us getting bumped. Still, Jan. 2nd in Tampa does have some advantages and if they can go in and do their thing it would be nice to have that W on the resume for recruiting.

Did we get hosed? On paper, YES by both the B10 and NCAA football. Multiple times by each.

But our "allowed" game with Ole Miss is a much better situation for IU football, and its growth.

Tampa, FL is "HOME' for IU football & to possibly win a bowl against Allen's old school in Tampa. (That's good stuff)

We gotta keep that Tampa talent flowing into Bloomington. So, thank you B10 for having our backs again..

I think our recent resume did not look good to some folks. For a variety of reasons.

MP is hurt - people turn on the tv to watch him. If he was 100%, I think a lot of things would be different.

COVID - Nobody has seen us play for a few weeks. Zero eye tests in the last few weeks..

Jack Tuttle has one game under his belt. The Purdy kid from ISU can sling it. It's all about the QB. We are still not good enough yet to take our #2 into the football royalty bowls.

I don't mind that ISU was the team that edged us, as both of our programs are outsiders. Frankly, they have strung together more winning seasons lately. Plus, it reaches another TV market.

The part about MP being out is money.
We know, as does everyone else, that MP was our bell cow. That he is unavailable (again) contributed to the ranking and bowl game fvkcery....JMO

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Well, would you rather by IU and play in the Outback or be a 9-2 Army team and get left out of any bowl all together. I agree IU got the shaft on this one and I think Penix played a big roll in us getting bumped. Still, Jan. 2nd in Tampa does have some advantages and if they can go in and do their thing it would be nice to have that W on the resume for recruiting.
They were both Scrooged

I watched Iowa State this past weekend and I'd take Tuttle over Purdy.

I have 1 kid at IU and 1 at Iowa State so I've been rooting for both teams and have watched all their games this year. While I wanted them both to be in good bowls, I don't believe ISU deserved to be ahead of IU.

Purdy in my opinion is way overrated. He makes way too many dumb decisions and I don't get why he is so highly loved by the experts. Now their running back Hall, he is a good one to watch.

I'm concerned with the matchup of Ole Miss. I think that really screws us, personally. We are in kind of a no-win situation....to the extent of proving the committee wrong. We are going against a 4-5 SEC team, that (by record) is the 8th best team in that conference. So, the only way we really prove them wrong is to blow them out. But while the Rebels have lost 5 games, they have not gotten blown out. 15 and 16 point losses to Bama and Florida, I don't see as blowouts. So if we lose to them, the committee will be like, "told you so". We barely win, and they will be like "see, they barely beat a 4-5 team, they didn't deserve a NY6 bowl". Only a blowout will be a "told you so" for IU......and I don't see that happening.

However, I'm over it all and the lack of respect. It is what it is. We are going to the best bowl game we have gone to, since when? The Rose Bowl? Maybe the Peach Bowl? It's been a great year and I'm happy with the Outback Bowl and I just want to win the game, by any score at all. Next year is our year, if you ask me. I hope things are back close to normal, and we have a lot of players returning. And I hope some of the players that would have been out of eligibility, decide to come back with the extra year.

I'm concerned with the matchup of Ole Miss. I think that really screws us, personally. We are in kind of a no-win situation....to the extent of proving the committee wrong. We are going against a 4-5 SEC team, that (by record) is the 8th best team in that conference. So, the only way we really prove them wrong is to blow them out. But while the Rebels have lost 5 games, they have not gotten blown out. 15 and 16 point losses to Bama and Florida, I don't see as blowouts. So if we lose to them, the committee will be like, "told you so". We barely win, and they will be like "see, they barely beat a 4-5 team, they didn't deserve a NY6 bowl". Only a blowout will be a "told you so" for IU......and I don't see that happening.

However, I'm over it all and the lack of respect. It is what it is. We are going to the best bowl game we have gone to, since when? The Rose Bowl? Maybe the Peach Bowl? It's been a great year and I'm happy with the Outback Bowl and I just want to win the game, by any score at all. Next year is our year, if you ask me. I hope things are back close to normal, and we have a lot of players returning. And I hope some of the players that would have been out of eligibility, decide to come back with the extra year.
I am hoping that some of our players, who do not have a pro future, see next year as unfinished business.

I can totally get on board and agree with you that going Tampa is a good thing. I imagine that alot of these kids parents from Florida will be there and it should boost recruiting!. We need to keep that pipeline going and what a perfect way to showcase IU football. Hopefully we come in with that chip and play a solid game. Ole Miss averages 41 points a game...

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT