ADVERTISEMENT

This is about family.

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
Congrats to the Indiana basketball family. This looks to be a big day, especially for them.

IMHO, that day in February last year was an incredibly important one for them. That day brought some closure for former players, staff, coach Knight and his family. That day also may have helped make today possible,

This isn’t about just hiring someone that wore an IU uniform,

Today is about embracing a group of people, tapping into them as a resource, and allowing the culture which they helped build under Coach to be restored.

This is about more than a coach, or a coach and his staff. This will be a FAMILY effort,

IMHO, that day in February last year was an incredibly important one for them. That day brought some closure for former players, staff, coach Knight and his family. That day also may have helped make today possible,
Miller should have been fired for not bringing the players out to witness Knight's return. That told me he didn't really give a shit about Indiana basketball or even Indiana University.

I'm thinking a lot of people with a lot of influence were thinking the same thing. That may have been when Miller started being puched out the door. Could even explain why someone would pay up to $10M just to get rid of the bastard.

Congrats to the Indiana basketball family. This looks to be a big day, especially for them.

Today is about embracing a group of people, tapping into them as a resource, and allowing the culture which they helped build under Coach to be restored.

This is about more than a coach, or a coach and his staff. This will be a FAMILY effort,

I love the sentiment and totally agree that the Knight reunion was the biggest day of healing in our lifetimes for this program.

I tend to think it was a bow. A special day. Time will tell if we can capture that emotion of the day and apply it going forward.

I hope so but I have my doubts.

Nostalgic/emotional hires hardly ever work out. Hell hires in general hardly work out.

When you have a transcendent coach, they aren't replicable.

Wooden was Wooden. Rupp was Rupp. K will be K and Knight is Knight.

We hired in the family in the 60's. Didn't work. Not until we got lucky with a smaller program coach who had absolutely no ties to McCracken. He was his own thing.

UCLA spent decades trying to replicate Wooden, first with Wooden assistants and then with Wooden players.

So is Woodson our Roy Williams or is he our Larry Farmer (or the majority of ex coaches or players).

Only time will tell.

I'm rooting for Mike, he was my favorite first player.

Reactions: Paterfamilias

I'm letting it soak in a bit first, but (even with the negatives) this is the first time I haven't been knee-jerk bummed on IU coach hiring day. It's a bold, maybe crazy move by Dolson, but I think it's going to work well for a short-ish tenure. Maybe it sets things up really well for the long term though by re-establishing culture/identity for ensuing coaches.

I love the sentiment and totally agree that the Knight reunion was the biggest day of healing in our lifetimes for this program.

I tend to think it was a bow. A special day. Time will tell if we can capture that emotion of the day and apply it going forward.

I hope so but I have my doubts.

Nostalgic/emotional hires hardly ever work out. Hell hires in general hardly work out.

When you have a transcendent coach, they aren't replicable.

Wooden was Wooden. Rupp was Rupp. K will be K and Knight is Knight.

We hired in the family in the 60's. Didn't work. Not until we got lucky with a smaller program coach who had absolutely no ties to McCracken. He was his own thing.

UCLA spent decades trying to replicate Wooden, first with Wooden assistants and then with Wooden players.

So is Woodson our Roy Williams or is he our Larry Farmer (or the majority of ex coaches or players).

Only time will tell.

I'm rooting for Mike, he was my favorite first player.

It may not work out.

Has the problem been that we just hired bad coaches. That they weren’t good recruiters, they were poor at roster management, poor at development, motivational tactics, game prep and adjustments?

OR, does our program have deeper issues and the real root issues are something altogether different? You know, those mystical things like Culture, identity, etc?

I’m not convinced that Howard and his staff, underwood or Holtman would have matched their success had we hired any of them. I have an inkling that we’d be in a similar spot.

I’m hoping (and maybe it’s a last hope on a dying horse I’m riding), that somehow this hire transcends the coach, and corrects what I am fearful is a deeper issue.

Of course this is risky.

But, in all honesty I wouldn’t exactly be super confident if it were Oats, Moser, Musselman, Beilien, or Altman either. even if it were Beard I still felt it was not better than a 50/50 shot. Stevens would have found universal support, but it’s not like he doesn’t also bring some questions,

It’s a crap shoot. But, frankly it’s 180 degrees away from every other hire we’ve ever made.

I'm letting it soak in a bit first, but (even with the negatives) this is the first time I haven't been knee-jerk bummed on IU coach hiring day. It's a bold, maybe crazy move by Dolson, but I think it's going to work well for a short-ish tenure. Maybe it sets things up really well for the long term though by re-establishing culture/identity for ensuing coaches.
I actually think the opposite, that his lack of name will dig him a bit of a hole to start but, Duncome had a great response so....if he can avoid a complete rebuild which means getting curbstomped and then having to recruit on faith at 63 years old....the next four months are crucial to watch and how his first roster is assembled.

Crean could say 'I rebuilt Marquette and developed D Wade' as his faith pitch.

Woodson has 'I've coached in the NBA, trust me'.

It may not work out.

Has the problem been that we just hired bad coaches. That they weren’t good recruiters, they were poor at roster management, poor at development, motivational tactics, game prep and adjustments?

OR, does our program have deeper issues and the real root issues are something altogether different? You know, those mystical things like Culture, identity, etc?

I’m not convinced that Howard and his staff, underwood or Holtman would have matched their success had we hired any of them. I have an inkling that we’d be in a similar spot.

I’m hoping (and maybe it’s a last hope on a dying horse I’m riding), that somehow this hire transcends the coach, and corrects what I am fearful is a deeper issue.

Of course this is risky.

But, in all honesty I wouldn’t exactly be super confident if it were Oats, Moser, Musselman, Beilien, or Altman either. even if it were Beard I still felt it was not better than a 50/50 shot. Stevens would have found universal support, but it’s not like he doesn’t also bring some questions,

It’s a crap shoot. But, frankly it’s 180 degrees away from every other hire we’ve ever made.
I was digging Moser, only because I loved how his team played on both sides

(there's a site called Shot Quality that just measures what it says. Loyola with their shot quality yesterday should have won by 17.

More importantly they were 4th in the country on the year. Archie was 36th if I recall correctly.

I just want to watch great basketball. I dig the smarter game and I love coaches that make an impact by scheme.

I mean that's the essence of Coach Knight's awesomeness.

To me that's the Indiana way. We're smarter and we're tougher.

So yeah, I was digging what Moser was doing and he's right there to grab and 52/53 years old.

So my initial reaction is bummed but I'm not going to drag Woodson and I sincerely hope we see a shift right off the bat.

I do like the concept of Woodson with Matta as an extra dude and then possibly bringing in a transition coach as Woody is 63.

Most importantly I just want to see good basketball again.

Moser, Miller, Crean
Loyola, Dayton, Marquette

Those schools are all pretty similar in a lot of ways

Hmmm.

I was digging Moser, only because I loved how his team played on both sides

(there's a site called Shot Quality that just measures what it says. Loyola with their shot quality yesterday should have won by 17.

More importantly they were 4th in the country on the year. Archie was 36th if I recall correctly.

I just want to watch great basketball. I dig the smarter game and I love coaches that make an impact by scheme.

I mean that's the essence of Coach Knight's awesomeness.

To me that's the Indiana way. We're smarter and we're tougher.

So yeah, I was digging what Moser was doing and he's right there to grab and 52/53 years old.

So my initial reaction is bummed but I'm not going to drag Woodson and I sincerely hope we see a shift right off the bat.

I do like the concept of Woodson with Matta as an extra dude and then possibly bringing in a transition coach as Woody is 63.

Most importantly I just want to see good basketball again.

I saw that "shot quality" thing too. I really was digging Moser myself for the exact same reasons, but I was pretty confident that IU wouldn't go that way though. I've been of the mind that I would be really surprised if it wasn't Woodson for a few days now.

I think they are going to get it right this time by accident. I just wish Woodson was a few years younger, but hell Hamilton is still going strong at FSU and he's getting way up there

Miller should have been fired for not bringing the players out to witness Knight's return. That told me he didn't really give a shit about Indiana basketball or even Indiana University.

I'm thinking a lot of people with a lot of influence were thinking the same thing. That may have been when Miller started being puched out the door. Could even explain why someone would pay up to $10M just to get rid of the bastard.
Disgraceful and then they go out and lose

Reactions: .Gerdis

Well said. Hope it translates to wins. I am looking forward to Woodsons pressor.

I think he was fired that day to be honest. It just took some time

Archie was too busy prepping his team for another embarrassing loss to our instate rival.... on our floor.

ADVERTISEMENT