ADVERTISEMENT

This is a good get, rare find

Trent Green had narrowed his choices to Bill Mallory & Indiana or Lou Holtz & ND. He visited ND on the last recruiting wknd. & everyone at Indiana were holding their breath. Fortunately he chose Indiana. Trent, of course, followed Dave Schell as IU's QB

I recall TG quoted in a story while at IU that Holtz made it clear he was one of many QBs (and not their top target) while Mal made him his #1 priority that year (signed Feb '88) at QB.

The next year IU would pull out another great player from St Louis area, Bernard Whittington. On signing day of '89, I didn't know anything about him until I called a talk radio segment and spoke with Lemming, who raved about him. There is one he got right!!

I recall TG quoted in a story while at IU that Holtz made it clear he was one of many QBs (and not their top target) while Mal made him his #1 priority that year (signed Feb '88) at QB.

The next year IU would pull out another great player from St Louis area, Bernard Whittington. On signing day of '89, I didn't know anything about him until I called a talk radio segment and spoke with Lemming, who raved about him. There is one he got right!!
On that last recruiting wknd, ND had Trent Green on campus as their only host. I'm not sure what that means.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hornet, idk either. Do recall Trent saying he got a lot better feeling from Mal on his chances to play at IU than he did from Holtz at ND.

No idea if ND took a QB in that signing class of '88 or not. Maybe Holtz was just trying to make sure he got one in the class and Trent was still listening. He already had Tony Rice on roster, who started end of '87 season and would be there for 3 more. Kent Graham was a backup, who would leave for OSU after the '88 season, I believe. And finally, it was no secret Holtz was all in on the Top Rated qb for the next year, '89, who was a local, Rick Mirer.

I was too young to have significant memory of Trent at IU. I looked him up on college football reference and was surprised to see his TD-INT ratio. At least a good time to be on a team with some AA running backs.

TFMT, Trent would, especially early on, throw the ball to the other team a bit much. After a good start by he and the team in '90, he ended up being benched (Mal cited lack of confidence) the last few games of the regular season for Chris Dyer, who didn't have any where near the arm. Dyer later moved to Safety. Green would start in a close loss to Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

Was at Notre Dame Stadium on a blazing hot day the next yr, 91, when he threw a Pick 6. Might have even been on the first drive. He played well that year with a good Sr dominated line, a great Sr RB and a good D. Close losses at UM and OSU still haunt. Big wins vs MSU and Iowa. Tight wins at UW in a big comeback and a scary Bucket game followed by the Copper Bowl win vs Baylor.

'92, TG spent much of his time running for his life with all new starters on the OL. lots of OL Injuries to boot forced other guys to play way too early. Think that OL gave up like 50 sacks that yr. In a game at Minny on Halloween night, Paci won in his first start, putting IU at 5-3, iirc. They would close the season with 3 losses to Iowa, OSU and at PU, a defensive game that was very winnable, until a late Green pick set off a melee on the PU sideline. I recall students giving Green a rough ride that season, but the OL just had too many Injuries and the team had zero run game late in the season.

Reactions: TMFT and red hornet
TFMT, Trent would, especially early on, throw the ball to the other team a bit much. After a good start by he and the team in '90, he ended up being benched (Mal cited lack of confidence) the last few games of the regular season for Chris Dyer, who didn't have any where near the arm. Dyer later moved to Safety. Green would start in a close loss to Auburn in the Peach Bowl.

Was at Notre Dame Stadium on a blazing hot day the next yr, 91, when he threw a Pick 6. Might have even been on the first drive. He played well that year with a good Sr dominated line, a great Sr RB and a good D. Close losses at UM and OSU still haunt. Big wins vs MSU and Iowa. Tight wins at UW in a big comeback and a scary Bucket game followed by the Copper Bowl win vs Baylor.

'92, TG spent much of his time running for his life with all new starters on the OL. lots of OL Injuries to boot forced other guys to play way too early. Think that OL gave up like 50 sacks that yr. In a game at Minny on Halloween night, Paci won in his first start, putting IU at 5-3, iirc. They would close the season with 3 losses to Iowa, OSU and at PU, a defensive game that was very winnable, until a late Green pick set off a melee on the PU sideline. I recall students giving Green a rough ride that season, but the OL just had too many Injuries and the team had zero run game late in the season.
In that last PU game, didn't Green tackle the DB and took him down by his face mask? I think that's what started it. I remember seeing a Purdue assistant coach make a flying tackle on one of his players to keep him from running across the field - best tackle all day. I also remember an IU OL and a Purdue OL kicking each other in the crotch, each holding onto the other's facemask.

In that Notre Dame game, we were going on a cruise and I got to watch most of the game before boarding the ship. We were getting screwed, as usual, by the refs and Green came to the sideline, slammed his helmet on the ground and said "The ref is a g--d-----ed Michigian grad. Clear as day on TV. Loved it.

In that Peach Bowl game, if our Defense could have hung on, we would have stunned Auburn. Same thing when we played Tennessee in the Peach Bowl in '87(?) and Gator Bowl last year.

ADVERTISEMENT