ADVERTISEMENT

This fanbase gets what it deserves.

uc fan here. one of my guests disappeared for the entire third quarter in order to visit the concessions. Returns to tell me they were out of water.

Just an observation - it appeared that the town and school were not prepared for so many people.

With the excessive heat, multiple verbal profanity-laden assaults for merely wearing the wrong team’s t shirt, crappy shuttle service, traffic gridlock…even with the victory, b’ton was not the pleasant experience I remember from the past.

Left immediately after the game and drove to Louisville for a good meal.

My non-UC fan friend from Austin, Texas, was DONE with Bloomington. There was nothing I could do to make him hang in town. I guess when a third young man yelled **** you at him (literally within inches of his face) while waiting for the shuttle to the game…he was over it.

Never experienced anything quite like it.

And, yeah, the crowd did thin a bit at halftime. Not mass exodus, but it was a little thinner.
BS. The heat was tough and the concessions are not set up for this yet but Btown was great, we left town at 9:30.

BTW, i thought you guys were showing up in droves??? What happened?

• Haha
Reactions: Btfu2017
My non-UC fan friend from Austin, Texas, was DONE with Bloomington. There was nothing I could do to make him hang in town. I guess when a third young man yelled **** you at him (literally within inches of his face) while waiting for the shuttle to the game…he was over it.
It’s a shame this happened not once, not twice, but three separate times.

I’ve always had good experiences in Bloomington. The fans were generally very docile. I would not think twice about returning.

I witnessed a good bit of student hate walking back down Indiana after the game. Saw a poor old couple get absolutely berated by students waiting to cross the street at 10th and Indiana. It was pretty pathetic.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: Btfu2017 and 76-1
uc fan here. one of my guests disappeared for the entire third quarter in order to visit the concessions. Returns to tell me they were out of water.

Just an observation - it appeared that the town and school were not prepared for so many people.

With the excessive heat, multiple verbal profanity-laden assaults for merely wearing the wrong team’s t shirt, crappy shuttle service, traffic gridlock…even with the victory, b’ton was not the pleasant experience I remember from the past.

And, yeah, the crowd did thin a bit at halftime. Not mass exodus, but it was a little thinner.
I find this very hard to believe. You might get one drunk group yelling stuff at you but it is not going to be widespread around here. Me thinks you make shit up.

• Angry
It was not a mass exodus, but there were clearly a few thousand people who left at half and never returned to their seats, overall it didn't hurt the atmosphere a ton, but it was noticeable if you were looking for it. It is also worth noting the heat was brutal, there were pockets of clouds that stopped the direct sun maybe 10-20% of the time, but the other 80% of the time it was ridiculously hot(feels like reached triple digits during the game) and the sun felt like it was beating down on you. Idk if you watched on TV or not, but if you did you wouldn't have noticed, it was mostly in the top corners and in the top rows on the Indiana sideline, the camera wouldn't have picked it up, either way, the atmosphere was fine and I am sure more people would've stayed if not for the heat.
One thing that made the stadium look more empty than it was after halftime were the thousands of people stuck in the interminable concessions lines. If you got in line on the east side at the start of the half, you weren’t back at your seat until at least halfway through the 3rd quarter. It was a total madhouse out there!

I had the distinct impression there were more people that stuck it out to the 4th quarter than I have ever seen by that point.

Last edited:
This fanbase deserves a losing team.
Constantly looking for reasons to throw the team under the bus.
Constantly looking for an excuse to quit caring.
Constantly looking for a reason to tune out and wait for our mediocre as shit basketball program to be mediocre again.

-"Fans" leaving at halftime in a game where we're beating a top 10 team. I don't care how many, some did, the stadium was noticeably less full in the second half and there's no ****ing excuse. And the same goes for leaving in the fourth quarter when we were still only down one score, which far more people did.
-"Fans" talking about the only coach that's made us relevant in 30+ years being a fraud, something in multiple posts and comments here.
-"Fans" trashing a QB who's gone through injury hell in his career and might be hurt again, talking about how he was never actually good.

The IU so-called, fair-weather **s fanbase doesn't deserve a winner.
This fanbase deserves Bill Lynch-level futility.
And they deserve even worse in basketball.
GFY

Reactions: SoccerSammy
The bottled water issues deserves a separate thread. Obviously that is a dangerous situation that was created by the ineptness of IU.
We were told at HALFTIME “the entire stadium is out of bottled water”! We did buy tap water, so I won’t say it was unsafe, but this is insanely poor planning. It’s like no one had any idea how to plan for a sellout crowd.

Reactions: 82hoosier

I hate that that happened. I had that happen to me at Ohio State - kids yelling that in your face. But at least you guys got the last laugh.

I'm embarrassed our Administration and Athletic Dept wasn't ready for that big of a crowd on a hot day. There really is no excuse for it. IU fans have been bitching for years about the concession stands running out of drinks. At the end of the year, they'll run out of hot chocolate and coffee when it's really cold. The reason? Well, it's the last game and they don't want to be left with stock.

WTH? Over $50 million dollars from the BTN and we can't afford a few leftover hot chocolates or coffee packets?

Last edited:
We were told at HALFTIME “the entire stadium is out of bottled water”! We did buy tap water, so I won’t say it was unsafe, but this is insanely poor planning. It’s like no one had any idea how to plan for a sellout crowd.
They charged you for tap water?

• Haha
Yes the only option my wife was given was to pay for a large Coke but they would fill it with ice and tap water. She got two Cokes and two waters for $20. The water should have been free with an apology honestly or at most $1 for ice and the cup.
E-mail Scott Dolson and demand your money back. You got raped.

Reactions: td75
How would you know? You're still struggling passing Kindergarten... the whole does not get along well with others keeps tripping you up.
OOOO-oooooo! Another zinger!

Birds of a feather crap together, I guess.

Imagine telling someone to go **** themselves and then seriously trying to say they were the childish one when they respond.
Imagine someone who never went to the game bitching about fans leaving a little early after sitting out in the sun all day.

GFY again.

Imagine someone who never went to the game bitching about fans leaving a little early after sitting out in the sun all day.

GFY again.
I’ve been at both games. Section 4 Row 19 for Idaho and Section 4 Row 39 for Cincy.

It’s a shame this happened not once, not twice, but three separate times.

I’ve always had good experiences in Bloomington. The fans were generally very docile. I would not think twice about returning.
This happened at the poplar garage shuttle stop in a relatively short period of time, but it was three, distinct incidents. Very close to the bars, so I blame testosterone and beer. I was concerned about the last one because the guy got in my friend’s face, and I could see a bloody nose happening.

Then pregame i got some water from the concession then tried to exit. As i entered a gap in the line, I asked the young man if i could pass through. Nope. He stepped forward and told me I’d have to go around him.

There is a barstool iu twitter video out there with 80,000+ views of young fans overturning a UC elderly couple’s tailgate.

The older IU fans were great. The young ones…not so much.

The intensity level of the young fans really surprised me given that the two schools have no rivalry whatsoever.

To the guy who asked where the UC fans were, there were plenty of us in attendance - enough to give you your first sellout. I personally was outside the visitors section - section 30 - and was surrounded by UC fans. i think this was the case all the way over to section 27.

If you want an idea of how many on that side of the field, check the end of game footage and you’ll see the remainders are almost all UC fans.

Last edited:
I find this very hard to believe. You might get one drunk group yelling stuff at you but it is not going to be widespread around here. Me thinks you make shit up.
You might find it hard to believe but it happened. But thanks for calling me a liar.

Also, I’m not the only one. The UC board is loaded with stories, though fortunately you are competing with stories of knives being pulled at West Virginia.

Last edited:
  • Haha
This happened at the poplar garage shuttle stop in a relatively short period of time, but it was three, distinct incidents. Very close to the bars, so I blame testosterone and beer. I was concerned about the last one because the guy got in my friend’s face, and I could see a bloody nose happening.

Then pregame i got some water from the concession then tried to exit. As i entered a gap in the line, I asked the young man if i could pass through. Nope. He stepped forward and told me I’d have to go around him.

There is a barstool iu twitter video out there with 80,000+ views of young fans overturning a UC elderly couple’s tailgate.

The intensity level of the young fans really surprised me given that the two schools have no rivalry whatsoever.

To the guy who asked where the UC fans were, there were plenty of us in attendance - enough to give you your first sellout. I personally was outside the visitors section - section 30 - and was surrounded by UC fans. i think this was the case all the way over to section 27.

If you want an idea of how many on that side of the field, check the end of game footage and you’ll see the remainders are almost all UC fans.
I'm sorry this happened but there's a small percentage of a-holes in every team's fan base, nobody got hurt, your team won, and it's now two days later. Might be time to stop belaboring this.

• Sad
IU fans deserve…..a Purple Heart or a Congressional Medal of Honor or both!

I continue to go to games because I’m a giant masochist at heart. That, and I carry on a family tradition that my dad started back in the 1950s going to games. I carry on his legacy of pain.

I’ve seen a bunch of flops in Memorial Stadium, not all to ranked teams (Rutgers 2015 was a choke job of massive proportions) but this one set the program back to square 1. Wash, rinse repeat.

Unfortunately, this is likely the general behavior of many college students. They are privileged jerks. A friend and I discovered that in leaving a Ball State game many years ago.

I did have one memorable experience leaving an IU game once. We were on 37 and passing a truck with three students in it. All of a sudden the truck suddenly pulled right in front of me. I wasn't happy about that and quickly pulled back to the right lane. The student in the far right side then leaned out the window and started vomiting. The wind was blowing it all back into his face. I realized then that the kid told the driver to pull over, and he went to the left instead of going off the road to the right.

I too am sorry this happened to you and will apologize for these fans unexceptable behavior. I have also been to road games where something like this happens and realize it is not a pleasant experience. I have also been to road games (Virginia comes to mind) where I had a delightful time and all the people I had contact with were very pleasant. We older fans would love to believe all our fans would act like that and find it disturbing when someone gives us a different view. Thank you for bringing a little piece of reality to our minds. I have not doubt there are unmitigated brats running around our town with all kinds of venom to spew and it is truly too bad.

On the other hand when I went to the restroom at halftime there were a bunch of UC fans in line and they were kidding us about having us right where they wanted us. A bunch of IU fans started kidding them back and we all had a good laugh over it in the end. They were young but good kids. We all agreed that we can hate OSU Together!

As some other poster mentioned, those kids are not the norm here but unfortunately do exist and because they have such loud mouths are much more obvious.

Reactions: DANC

LEO

• Haha

"There is a barstool iu twitter video out there with 80,000+ views of young fans overturning a UC elderly couple’s tailgate."

That pisses me off as much as it does you.

If you can post a link to that tweat, I'll forward it to the IU Athletic Dept. and hopefully some of those students can be identified.

To the guy who asked where the UC fans were, there were plenty of us in attendance - enough to give you your first sellout. I personally was outside the visitors section - section 30 - and was surrounded by UC fans.

I was in section 29, row 40. This did not happen. Or maybe our definitions of “surrounded” and “almost all” are very different.

Im sorry for the few, isolated incidents that are cited in the thread. There is no excuse for that. Ya’ll must not play tOSU?

Last edited:
  • Haha
When someone asked if you were there, you didn't answer.
I didn't see it. But I was and still have the receipt for the Cincy game in my StubHub. I think I deleted the Idaho ticket from my Apple Wallet, though. I'm going to the Ohio State game, too, and probably will grab a ticket for MSU, too.

"There is a barstool iu twitter video out there with 80,000+ views of young fans overturning a UC elderly couple’s tailgate."

That pisses me off as much as it does you.

If you can post a link to that tweat, I'll forward it to the IU Athletic Dept. and hopefully some of those students can be identified.

I’m assuming that’s what he’s talking about. @bearcatsuc ?

• Angry

I’m assuming that’s what he’s talking about. @bearcatsuc ?
yes, thanks for posting the vid. i have restricted access here, which is understandable, but i was unable to respond

Like anything on the internet, I lend a critical eye to just about everything.
If this is a true depiction, this particular act i’m sure was isolated - but some of the other stuff, not so much.

This particular vid has upwards of 90,000 views and is given life via barstool iu and has made the rounds on at least one cincy board. I’d be royally pissed if it were associated with my school.

As i previously mentioned, what I experienced at IU was new to *me*; however, other UC fans have commented that this stuff is child’s play compared to some other schools.

I’ve been to 5 games at O$U, three to watch UC play. I also spent the day at Hineygate during the Notre Dame game. I never saw anything antisocial.

I’m also a graduate of Miami OH, and have lost count of how many matchups with UC I’ve seen. Been to Pitt, Marshall, Toledo, Louisville, Kentucky, as well as the Liberty and Belk Bowl. I don’t tailgate, which reduces exposure, but I guess I’ve just been lucky not to experience the bad side of fan behavior until now. Last Saturday, we felt like a douchebag magnet.

Last edited:
  • Haha
yes, thanks for posting the vid. i have restricted access here, which is understandable, but i was unable to respond

Like anything on the internet, I lend a critical eye to just about everything.
If this is a true depiction, this particular act i’m sure was isolated - but some of the other stuff, not so much.

This particular vid has upwards of 90,000 views and is given life via barstool iu and has made the rounds on at least one cincy board. I’d be royally pissed if it were associated with my school.

As i previously mentioned, what I experienced at IU was new to *me*; however, other UC fans have commented that this stuff is child’s play compared to some other schools.

I’ve been to 5 games at O$U, three to watch UC play. I also spent the day at Hineygate during the Notre Dame game. I never saw anything antisocial.

I’m also a graduate of Miami OH, and have lost count of how many matchups with UC I’ve seen. Been to Pitt, Marshall, Toledo, Louisville, Kentucky, as well as the Liberty and Belk Bowl. I don’t tailgate, which reduces exposure, but I guess I’ve just been lucky not to experience the bad side of fan behavior until now. Last Saturday, we felt like a douchebag magnet.
You’ll have to forgive some of the idiots you encountered. Much of this is alcohol….. mixed with a little bit of the stupid public behavior our own fan base has endured from visiting crowds of Walmart Wolverines and OSU white trash.
The only kind of smack talk I actually can endure is from SEC crowds. That slow southern drawl comes across not as an attack but more like an invitation to sip on some smooth bourbon on the front porch while watching them June bugs dance across the lawn. Something endearing about a smooth delivery of “We gonna kick us some Yankee azzzzz” while walking into the stadium.

I also missed most of the second quarter standing in concession line and was informed that they were out of water. Had my 5 and 7 year old boys plus two teens and wife with me. Piss poor planning on bottled water supply.
The IU students must have been upset about the lack of beverages. They tore out a section of bleachers, I'm sure in protest of that!

Reactions: DANC
I had just the opposite, a uc fan got ridiculous about winning and decided it was a good idea to talk crap to me and try to provoke a fight.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT