ADVERTISEMENT

This fanbase gets what it deserves.

Hoosiers47614

Junior
Gold Member
Nov 11, 2019
This fanbase deserves a losing team.
Constantly looking for reasons to throw the team under the bus.
Constantly looking for an excuse to quit caring.
Constantly looking for a reason to tune out and wait for our mediocre as shit basketball program to be mediocre again.

-"Fans" leaving at halftime in a game where we're beating a top 10 team. I don't care how many, some did, the stadium was noticeably less full in the second half and there's no ****ing excuse. And the same goes for leaving in the fourth quarter when we were still only down one score, which far more people did.
-"Fans" talking about the only coach that's made us relevant in 30+ years being a fraud, something in multiple posts and comments here.
-"Fans" trashing a QB who's gone through injury hell in his career and might be hurt again, talking about how he was never actually good.

The IU so-called, fair-weather **s fanbase doesn't deserve a winner.
This fanbase deserves Bill Lynch-level futility.
And they deserve even worse in basketball.

Last edited:
Constantly looking for a reason to tune out and wait for our mediocre as shit basketball program to be mediocre again.

-"Fans" leaving at halftime in a game where we're beating a top 10 team. I don't care how many, some did, the stadium was noticeably less full in the second half and there's no ****ing excuse. And the same goes for leaving in the fourth quarter when we were still only down one score, which far more people did.
-"Fans" talking about the only coach that's made us relevant in 30+ years being a fraud, something in multiple posts and comments here.
-"Fans" trashing a QB who's gone through injury hell in his career and might be hurt again, talking about how he was never actually good.

The IU so-called, fair-weather ** fanbase doesn't deserve a winner.

Joe Novak once said we didn't deserve a good team... He may have been right... 😞

Reactions: vesuvius13
Bro, this is every bad to mediocre program in history, trust me, culture is built from winning. Fanbases elsewhere that have had a similar amount of success to IU historically have fans that act the same way. It takes decades of success before a school can bring in a loyal fanbase that really cares about football, I want to agree with you, but seriously, every fanbase of a team that goes 15-20 some odd years w/o a winning season is going to be sporadic at best.

I share your frustration. Almost every IU fan share is your frustration. But remember a lot of the venting is being done by people who are dead drunk in the middle of the afternoon on a Saturday.
It’s ironic, on the flipside, is that some of the ultimate diehard basketball fans we’re preaching about the Hoosiers being a blue blood program more than a decade later when they were wallowing in mediocrity. Rome was not built in a day. Do not despair.

Last edited:

Don’t bring IU basketball into your rant. They will be ranked the entire season.

Good thing is the Woodson era starts soon. It's all anyone cares about. Won't ever change until the football team starts winning consistently. It is what it is.

I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but dude, I've been going to IU games many years, and I don't remember a day that was that brutally hot in the stands. I don't blame anyone for going home or to a bar at halftime to watch the rest of the game. I'm sure some folks, especially older ones, needed to leave for their health.

Don’t bring IU basketball into your rant. They will be ranked the entire season.
Too much coke? Too many hookers?
iU may be ranked for a short while pre-conference and then when they run into the gauntlet of the Big Ten schedule the wheels will come off. Woodson is not going to wave a magic wand and have these guys in the top 3 of the conference this year, no matter how much fan boi mojo you got going.

Woodson was like the 4th choice for iu bball, right?? I don't see Woodson moving past Michigan, Ohio State, MSU or Purdue...He's not going to out coach Painter, Izzo, the guy at OSU, etc. and I doubt he can out recruit Howard at UM. Wisconsin has LONG been a stumbling block for Indiana and that shows no sign of changing.

The best way to change the fan base is for Indiana Football to WIN games. Beat Michigan, beat MSU, beat Purdue, etc. Go to warm weather bowl games and beat those SEC teams like Tennessee and Ole Miss.

An 8+ win football program is a beautiful thing. There will absolutely be some basketball people who may not like it because a strong football program will absolutely take some of the spotlight from iu bball. That's something that hasn't happened in the past.

Was there a massive exodus at halftime? If so, I didn’t notice.

There wasn’t. We were in section 26 behind the UC bench fairly close to the IU student section and they were loud until there was no longer a reason to be. A few pockets up in the corners were noticeably more empty after half and as the game continued, but nothing egregious.

Was there a massive exodus at halftime? If so, I didn’t notice.
It was not a mass exodus, but there were clearly a few thousand people who left at half and never returned to their seats, overall it didn't hurt the atmosphere a ton, but it was noticeable if you were looking for it. It is also worth noting the heat was brutal, there were pockets of clouds that stopped the direct sun maybe 10-20% of the time, but the other 80% of the time it was ridiculously hot(feels like reached triple digits during the game) and the sun felt like it was beating down on you. Idk if you watched on TV or not, but if you did you wouldn't have noticed, it was mostly in the top corners and in the top rows on the Indiana sideline, the camera wouldn't have picked it up, either way, the atmosphere was fine and I am sure more people would've stayed if not for the heat.

Good thing is the Woodson era starts soon. It's all anyone cares about. Won't ever change until the football team starts winning consistently. It is what it is.
Did you see the stadium yesterday? People want to care. Our best season in God knows how long had the misfortune of occurring in a year when none of the fans could go to the game. They showed out for a Top 10 team. That was a good crowd.

I am not running down Allen or Penix, but from the entire team perspective, this team came into the season with some expectations. People were getting excited. We have laid 2 eggs in our 3 games.

I am 42 and winning seasons have been hard to come by in my lifetime: 1979, 1980, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 2007, 2019, 2020. There were a couple .500 seasons thrown in there too. So people in my age group saw the best of Mallory end when they were in middle school or high school and then did not see another winning team until they had graduated IU. From 16 years old to 29 years old for me, we had zero winning seasons. And if you go look at the records from that timeframe it was like 1, 2, 3, or 4 wins most years. Then we got a sniff in 2007 and went another 12 years before another winning season. We have had 3 winning seasons since I was in high school. 3. Now take some younger than me. Anybody born after 1994, a nearly 30 year old, has had 3 winning seasons in their lifetime and zero bowl wins.

OP (not dbmhoosier), you are on a board of diehards. Guys who are older than me who have sat through futility for decades and this year was supposed to be a payoff year. The fans are ready to blow the roof off. They were ready yesterday. And this program did what it has done for 2/3 of my life. We blew it. Big time. And in a year when we had like 90% of our starters returning from a bowl team, we have looked pretty darn mediocre. That leads to frustration and people spouting off.

The fans are not the problem at Indiana. Losing is. Always having an excuse when we come up just short is. People are getting worn out with, "well if not for..." after games.

Were you at the game? They were literally taking people out on gators who had fallen to the heat. Considering the heat, and considering every single person knew we were losing that game after the targeting call, most came back!

Reactions: iueyedoc99
I don't necessarily disagree with a lot of what you're saying, but dude, I've been going to IU games many years, and I don't remember a day that was that brutally hot in the stands. I don't blame anyone for going home or to a bar at halftime to watch the rest of the game. I'm sure some folks, especially older ones, needed to leave for their health.
The crowd was a bit slow coming back in but the lines for food and drink were looooong.

There were some older folks that sat near us that went home but the vast majority came back in. The fans were great yesterday under tough heat. The students were awesome.

That's every fanbase just about, genius.

i've been an iu fb fan for more than 50 years. i don't know how you can possibly blame the fans.

I had never seen the concourses so full. It was a mess. Everyone wants sellouts, but honestly the stadium can’t handle it. Iowa was the same. Lines were miles long and you were literally shoulder to shoulder everywhere.
If you were there, you know this was the truth. If you headed for the concession stand at the beginning of halftime, you didn't get back in the stadium until the middle of the 3rd quarter. I got in the line to refill my water bottle as soon as the first half ended, I missed the kickoff and the first series of the 3rd quarter. The concourses were insane.
My wife doesn't tolerate that kind of heat well. One of her medications is the culprit. She spent the entire second half watching the tv in the councourse and noted that it looked like halftime there the entire second half. Some who could not take the heat left early. The vast majority of the crowd was there until Penix' int with less than 3 minutes left in the game.

Woodson was like the 4th choice for iu bball, right?? I don't see Woodson moving past Michigan, Ohio State, MSU or Purdue...He's not going to out coach Painter, Izzo, the guy at OSU, etc. and I doubt he can out recruit Howard at UM. Wisconsin has LONG been a stumbling block for Indiana and that shows no sign of changing.

Well hell, why even play this year. IU is obviously doomed.
You have an amazing ability to discount a guy who you have yet to see him coach a game.
Nosterdamus you are.

Reactions: Davehack

The best way to change the fan base is for Indiana Football to WIN games. Beat Michigan, beat MSU, beat Purdue, etc. Go to warm weather bowl games and beat those SEC teams like Tennessee and Ole Miss.

An 8+ win football program is a beautiful thing. There will absolutely be some basketball people who may not like it because a strong football program will absolutely take some of the spotlight from iu bball. That's something that hasn't happened in the past.
You need to stick to football. Your disdain for IU basketball is a tired act and for someone who claims to not care about IU basketball your opinion regarding Woodson is laughable.

Fans don't play the games.
We all love IU, the Sample Gates, the IMU, the Jordan. I doubt fans of any traditional power tolerate losing seasons well. But we have for decades, and all we have are 1945 and 1967 to talk about. And yet, we still hold out hope every year. What do you expect fans to say in an "IU Football Forum?"

More than half the fans were in the ridiculously long concession lines at halftime! LOL
I missed damn near the entire second quarter just trying to get a bottled water at a concession stand that must have apparently bottled their water from a nearby stream. On top of that, they were warm. Another goat rodeo at the IU concession stands.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 82IU
I missed damn near the entire second quarter just trying to get a bottled water at a concession stand that must have apparently bottled their water from a nearby stream. On top of that, they were warm. Another goat rodeo at the IU concession stands.
I also missed most of the second quarter standing in concession line and was informed that they were out of water. Had my 5 and 7 year old boys plus two teens and wife with me. Piss poor planning on bottled water supply.

uc fan here. one of my guests disappeared for the entire third quarter in order to visit the concessions. Returns to tell me they were out of water.

Just an observation - it appeared that the town and school were not prepared for so many people.

With the excessive heat, multiple verbal profanity-laden assaults for merely wearing the wrong team’s t shirt, crappy shuttle service, traffic gridlock…even with the victory, b’ton was not the pleasant experience I remember from the past.

Left immediately after the game and drove to Louisville for a good meal.

My non-UC fan friend from Austin, Texas, was DONE with Bloomington. There was nothing I could do to make him hang in town. I guess when a third young man yelled **** you at him (literally within inches of his face) while waiting for the shuttle to the game…he was over it.

Never experienced anything quite like it.

And, yeah, the crowd did thin a bit at halftime. Not mass exodus, but it was a little thinner.

And they deserve even worse in basketball

You can't blame fans for 100 years of bad football. Why does the program "deserve" more fans than a men's soccer game? A team that damn near goes to the final four every 3 years doesn't get 15% of the football attendance. By the looks of it, fans keep turning out to watch one of the historically worst football programs in the country.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
You can't blame fans for 100 years of bad football. Why does the program "deserve" more fans than a men's soccer game? A team that damn near goes to the final four every 3 years doesn't get 15% of the football attendance. By the looks of it, fans keep turning out to watch one of the historically worst football programs in the country.
If this were Europe, the soccer program would probably draw 100k fans in a massive stadium in B-town.
However, I’ll say the same thing that I told someone 30 years ago when they said that soccer would overtake football in the U.S.: “Not happening.”
Football was born in the United States. Soccer, England.
Football is a distinctly American sport. That’s not a knock on soccer. Soccer is going to draw 4,000 fans. It cannot fund IU athletics. Throw in that 5 schools in the conference don’t even play soccer and it just won’t catch up in popularity and displace football in this country.

They might have been in line for concessions or the restroom. Those took forever.

IU wants big football crowds but doesn’t really have the ability to handle big crowds.

The fans don’t “deserve” anything. But we “want” effort and execution. After decades of futility, most years we expect nothing and are rewarded. This year we expected great things. When expectations aren’t matched by results, it’s bound to get ugly

uc fan here. one of my guests disappeared for the entire third quarter in order to visit the concessions. Returns to tell me they were out of water.

Just an observation - it appeared that the town and school were not prepared for so many people.

With the excessive heat, multiple verbal profanity-laden assaults for merely wearing the wrong team’s t shirt, crappy shuttle service, traffic gridlock…even with the victory, b’ton was not the pleasant experience I remember from the past.

Left immediately after the game and drove to Louisville for a good meal.

My non-UC fan friend from Austin, Texas, was DONE with Bloomington. There was nothing I could do to make him hang in town. I guess when a third young man yelled **** you at him (literally within inches of his face) while waiting for the shuttle to the game…he was over it.

Never experienced anything quite like it.

And, yeah, the crowd did thin a bit at halftime. Not mass exodus, but it was a little thinner.
So you judge a whole town and experience based on what some college punks yelled?

You have my permission to pummel any IU fan who gets an inch from your face, though. College kids are obnoxious and need a good asskicking every now and again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT