ADVERTISEMENT

This fanbase gets what it deserves.

I had never seen the concourses so full. It was a mess. Everyone wants sellouts, but honestly the stadium can’t handle it. Iowa was the same. Lines were miles long and you were literally shoulder to shoulder everywhere.
That seems like a huge admin error.
Covid, heat, and long shoulder to shoulder lines?

Reactions: DANC and iueyedoc99
That seems like a huge admin error.
Covid, heat, and long shoulder to shoulder lines?
That's an understatement. It wasn't like the crowd size was a surprise, or the weather was a surprise. Both factors were known well in advance and should have been planned for. The concession stand issues are becoming routine and ridiculous and somebody needs to be accountable. Unfortunately, people take out their frustration on the poor folks working in those stands, the vast majority of whom are volunteers working for their organizations who receive a percentage from the university. IU already has problems adequately staffing those volunteer spots. If those people continue to suffer fan abuse for things over which they have no control, the situation will become even worse. It's embarrassing that long lines and supply shortages are chronic when the University has ample time to prepare and address the issues. It's not like Saturday was a surprise, or the first time in recent years that these issues have been present.

It’s a shame this happened not once, not twice, but three separate times.

I’ve always had good experiences in Bloomington. The fans were generally very docile. I would not think twice about returning.
See if you can convince your pal Ordy/Birnk/Kerny to come sometime.

That's an understatement. It wasn't like the crowd size was a surprise, or the weather was a surprise. Both factors were known well in advance and should have been planned for. The concession stand issues are becoming routine and ridiculous and somebody needs to be accountable. Unfortunately, people take out their frustration on the poor folks working in those stands, the vast majority of whom are volunteers working for their organizations who receive a percentage from the university. IU already has problems adequately staffing those volunteer spots. If those people continue to suffer fan abuse for things over which they have no control, the situation will become even worse. It's embarrassing that long lines and supply shortages are chronic when the University has ample time to prepare and address the issues. It's not like Saturday was a surprise, or the first time in recent years that these issues have been present.
There are not enough physical outlets for concessions for that kind of crowd in that kind of heat. I saw staffers passing out water in the stands near us as there are lot of older fans nearby.

Scott is a sharp guy and if the crowds keep climbing he will rework the distribution model. That crowd at 40 or even 50 degrees won't drive those kinds of lines. Some of it was people just wanting shade.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
Too many people at the game. It sounds like a nice problem to have for a football school such as IU. The trouble stems from too many of these people coming unprepared. Why would you come into the stadium not wearing a hat, shorts and loosely fitting, buttoned short-sleeved shirt, knowing the forecast called for nothing but hotter than hell clammy weather? Did the aluminum seats get too warm in the sun? Bring in a butt cushion as buffer. Toga bags hold water and fit nicely inside that baggy shirt that breaths. Is it asking too much to fill a water container in the bathroom sink? The pipeline’s not tied into the pissing trough when lasted checked. That said, maybe the team should have worn their normal uniforms and saved that extra cash for free water passed out during those long TV timeouts. How difficult is that? Not very, as common sense usually is.

Did you see the stadium yesterday? People want to care. Our best season in God knows how long had the misfortune of occurring in a year when none of the fans could go to the game. They showed out for a Top 10 team. That was a good crowd.

I am not running down Allen or Penix, but from the entire team perspective, this team came into the season with some expectations. People were getting excited. We have laid 2 eggs in our 3 games.

I am 42 and winning seasons have been hard to come by in my lifetime: 1979, 1980, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 2007, 2019, 2020. There were a couple .500 seasons thrown in there too. So people in my age group saw the best of Mallory end when they were in middle school or high school and then did not see another winning team until they had graduated IU. From 16 years old to 29 years old for me, we had zero winning seasons. And if you go look at the records from that timeframe it was like 1, 2, 3, or 4 wins most years. Then we got a sniff in 2007 and went another 12 years before another winning season. We have had 3 winning seasons since I was in high school. 3. Now take some younger than me. Anybody born after 1994, a nearly 30 year old, has had 3 winning seasons in their lifetime and zero bowl wins.

OP (not dbmhoosier), you are on a board of diehards. Guys who are older than me who have sat through futility for decades and this year was supposed to be a payoff year. The fans are ready to blow the roof off. They were ready yesterday. And this program did what it has done for 2/3 of my life. We blew it. Big time. And in a year when we had like 90% of our starters returning from a bowl team, we have looked pretty darn mediocre. That leads to frustration and people spouting off.

The fans are not the problem at Indiana. Losing is. Always having an excuse when we come up just short is. People are getting worn out with, "well if not for..." after games.
But why were your expectations so high? We didn't beat a single team that finished top 25 last year did we? It was a weird season with COVID and no fans. Probably pure fool's gold. IU football is what we thought they were.

• Haha
Reactions: Btfu2017
But why were your expectations so high? We didn't beat a single team that finished top 25 last year did we? It was a weird season with COVID and no fans. Probably pure fool's gold. IU football is what we thought they were.
Well hell, at least we got The Bucket in our trophy case. It could be worse.

To be honest, people bring that up about the beating teams with winning records too much.

For the record and those playing along at home, schools like OSU and Michigan literally built much of their own resumes by beating mediocre teams during the days of Big2, Little8.
Yes they were good. However, nobody judged them much for beating the snot out of the Little 8 every season. You play who you play. That said, Allen needs to take a next step and start winning more of the 50/50 ball games. Saturday was honestly a 50/50 ball game opportunity that was blown. Tennessee in the Gator Bowl was a 50/50.

I was hoping for about 7 to 8 wins. I guess that is "high" expectations from Indiana but they were based on a team that took care of the teams it should have last year and was returning almost everyone while adding some pretty good (on paper) transfers from good programs.

Reactions: DANC
I would encourage you to compare recruiting at least between Penn St. and Michigan with IU. On paper, IU should not have had a chance against Penn St. and Michigan. Penn St. and Michigan get really good recruits every year and have every advantage as college football programs. I don't care what their ranking was: it is a big deal IU beat them. Beating Wisconsin and Michigan St. is always good: they are solid programs.

The climate change, my God, the climate change. Lol

FWIW, my God does not test us in such cruel manner. My God offers comfort to the downtrodden, worthless sons of bitches of the world.
My God does not see anybody as a worthless son of a b...!

Reactions: eddy4iu
I doubt you'd think that if this were IU fans harrassed by another school's fans.
Well, there’s only one more game on the schedule where this might be a problem. No other school is going to bring 15k fans, except for tOSU.

Well, there’s only one more game on the schedule where this might be a problem. No other school is going to bring 15k fans, except for tOSU.
LOL thank god OSU and Cincy have similar colors, you don't notice when they take a huge chunk of the stadium.

Reactions: DANC
At least, you’re beginning to accept your role in this.
^^^^irony^^^^

You know, in my younger days, I visited Bloomington dozens of times. I liked it so much I applied for a job and interviewed there. I found the area a very pleasant place to be.

I don’t get excited about much, but I was excited about coming to this game. Yeah, my team is ranked #8 and IU is a good Big Ten team. I’m very happy with the win, but I don’t let a loss ruin my life. And I’m certainly not going to take it out on opposing fans.”

The Bloomington leg of this trip was supposed to be the highlight, the first real
visit in 20 years. I was very excited about that. Instead, it was a huge letdown. Even with the win, the experience was deflating.

With that, I’m done here. Good luck with the rest of the season. Beat O$U.

^^^^irony^^^^

You know, in my younger days, I visited Bloomington dozens of times. I liked it so much I applied for a job and interviewed there. I found the area a very pleasant place to be.

I don’t get excited about much, but I was excited about coming to this game. Yeah, my team is ranked #8 and IU is a good Big Ten team. I’m very happy with the win, but I don’t let a loss ruin my life. And I’m certainly not going to take it out on opposing fans.”

The Bloomington leg of this trip was supposed to be the highlight, the first real
visit in 20 years. I was very excited about that. Instead, it was a huge letdown. Even with the win, the experience was deflating.

-You're talking to a purdue fan/troll...(in Earl Tubbs).-

Sorry to hear about your experience...

Your friend missed an opportunity to make the world a much better place by not having broken the jerks nose who insulted him...

I'm very surprised and disappointed to have read of this...

The INDIANA fan base has historically been one of the most polite and docile of all the college football fan bases I've ever run across in my travels (of course I'm probably biased being an INDIANA fan)... I've consistently seen worse behavior elsewhere...

Since I wasn't there and probably won't make a live game again in my lifetime (long boring story) I'll have to take your word (and that of others) for what occurred... I have to say that if this is actually what happened on our campus a few of our fan base deserve a swift kick in the -ss, , (and/or a broken nose), at minimum...

I can only conclude by saying that had I been there I would have stood with you against this kind of bad behavior no matter what color T shirt you had on. In the past, that would have been the approach of most INDIANA fans...

Last edited:
^^^^irony^^^^

Tip: Stick to home games.

Beat Notre Dame.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
-You're talking to a purdue fan/troll...(in Earl Tubbs).-

Sorry to hear about your experience...

Your friend missed an opportunity to make the world a much better place by not having broken the jerks nose who insulted him...

I'm very surprised and disappointed to have read of this...

The INDIANA fan base has historically been one of the most polite and docile of all the college football fan bases I've ever run across in my travels (of course I'm probably biased being an INDIANA fan)... I've consistently seen worse behavior elsewhere...

Since I wasn't there and probably won't make a live game again in my lifetime (long boring story) I'll have to take your word (and that of others) for what occurred... I have to say that if this is actually what happened on our campus a few of our fan base deserve a swift kick in the -ss, , (and/or a broken nose), at minimum...

I can only conclude by saying that had I been there I would have stood with you against this kind of bad behavior no matter what color T shirt you had on. In the past, that would have been the approach of most INDIANA fans...
Truly sorry you won't be able to make IU games in person.

Reactions: 76-1
Ahia hasn't brought 15K to Btown in quite some time. They still bring more than anyone else by a long shot but not 15K.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT