ADVERTISEMENT

Thinking of splurging on a Grill/smoker this year.

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Is it worth going for the Big Green Egg? If so should I splurge for the biggest one? Where would you suggest shopping for one in the Indy area? Is there a best time of year to buy for price?

TIA

I have been coveting a Traeger. My son's soon to be father in law has one and it is nice. I think I will pull the trigger before spring.

Traeger makes smoking and grilling with wood pretty idiot proof. I have one. Love it. Will never go back to just having a conventional grill. I made the best ribs ive ever eaten in my life the 3rd time i cooked on it. I do still have a cheap gas grill as any smoker is not really convenient if your just trying to do some quick burgers or hotdogs.

My brother loves his BGE. It's sweet to cook on and I wanted one really, really bad. I bought an Akorn instead of a BGE and haven't thought twice about the decision. I've got $250 into it vs. $1100 for a comparable BGE. The BGE will last the rest of my life but 2 Akorns probably will too. I use a little more more lump, but enough to justify the extra $ to go BGE. He agrees that the food coming off mine is just as good as what's coming off his. YMMV
D7nt1pa.jpg

My brother loves his BGE. It's sweet to cook on and I wanted one really, really bad. I bought an Akorn instead of a BGE and haven't thought twice about the decision. I've got $250 into it vs. $1100 for a comparable BGE. The BGE will last the rest of my life but 2 Akorns probably will too. I use a little more more lump, but enough to justify the extra $ to go BGE. He agrees that the food coming off mine is just as good as what's coming off his. YMMV
D7nt1pa.jpg
Damn, all of that meat looks good!
With your Akorn savings, you should buy a pressure washer and some paint for that top rail. :D

Damn, all of that meat looks good!
With your Akorn savings, you should buy a pressure washer and some paint for that top rail. :D

That's the truth right there. The whole thing is coming down this summer and being rebuilt. You should see the pergola above. Yikes.

Ok, so compare a Traeger vs BGE. Go

I can only tell you about the Traeger. Ive never had a BGE or anything similar.

The Traeger is badass and literally fool proof. They take little wood pellets. You can by bags of dozens of different types of wood. Also sell some good blends. Cost of the pellets is pretty comparably to wood chunks for a traditional smoker. The big thing for me is the Digital Temperature Control. Set it to the temp you Need to smoke at and the grill does the work. Idiot proof. Bad ass. Game changer for my grilling life.

Reactions: tbone6004
D7nt1pa.jpg
Does Kamado make the Akorn? I have a Kamoda, but it looks a little different but when I googled, it showed an Akorn model. You're more serious about your grilling, but it's great to be tending a grill outside on a nice evening with a cold beer in hand. My wife got a floor model Kamoda at Costco and it was about a third the cost of the comparable BGE. Same type of lump charcoal burning ceramic lined grill like a BGE.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Does Kamado make the Akorn? I have a Kamoda, but it looks a little different but when I googled, it showed an Akorn model. You're more serious about your grilling, but it's great to be tending a grill outside on a nice evening with a cold beer in hand. My wife got a floor model Kamoda at Costco and it was about a third the cost of the comparable BGE. Same type of lump charcoal burning ceramic lined grill like a BGE.
Does your wife cut the grass too?

It's kind of confusing. Kamado is technically the style of grill, but there are some manufacturers that use the term in their name. Kamado Joe is an example. They make ceramic kamado style grills that compete with BGE at similar price points. Sounds like your wife found a great deal on the floor model you have. Char Griller makes the Akorn as well as traditional grills and offset smokers. I don't think they have any ceramic models in their lineup. The Akorn has an inner and outer shell of powder coated steel with insulation between the shells.

And I agree that it's tough to beat tending a grill with a few beers while enjoying the outdoors.

Reactions: kkott
Is it worth going for the Big Green Egg? If so should I splurge for the biggest one? Where would you suggest shopping for one in the Indy area? Is there a best time of year to buy for price?

TIA

Yes, large is good and Sullivans

Friend of the family used to be a Traeger dealer and he stopped carrying them after they moved all the production to China. He said the quality started to suffer and as the problems mounted, the quality of their dealer support began to follow. He finally dropped the line and now carries something else. That being said, lots of people say nothing but good things about them.

Traegers are great for smoking & lower temps but they don’t get above 450 if you want to do high temp cooking.

TIA
If you would consider shopping in Bloomington, a store called Etc on South Walnut on the south side of town carries BGE and often has discounted prices.

TIA

Before you buy a BGE take a look at the corresponding Kamado Joe model. I looked at the BGE, the Primo (my initial preferred choice because of its oval shape) and the Kamado Joe before buying a Kamado Joe Classic at Costco this past September.

The Kamado Joe Classic has a few advantages that won me over. First, it has a weighted hinge that makes lifting the lid easy . . . MrsSope said that she wouldn't use the others, but she'd use the KJC. Second, it has a permanent gasket around the rim, while the others have gaskets that have to be replaced every couple of years. Third, the KJC has expansion joints in the fire box to help prevent the ceramic from cracking, which is a risk with all ceramic kamado style ovens. And fourth, the temperature control unit at the top of the KJC has its opening on the side, which helps prevent rain from getting into the grill while you're cooking.

Regarding which size grill to get, the guy selling them at Costco told me that unless I'm gonna be cooking for 25 people regularly the 18" size grill (the Kamado Joe Classic) is plenty big, and that's proved to be true.

BTW, you might take a look at the PrimoJr. It has a different kind of advantage in its oval shape, because it allows you to split the firebox so you can cook directly and indirectly at the same time without using heat deflectors like you have to use with a KJC.

I've got a Primo Jr. purchased a few years back from Sullivan's. It's served me well but I would really prefer the bigger size. Only issues with it have been replacing the felt seals a couple of times but that is routine maintenance.

Someone above raised a good point about the Traeger...... if you want to seer steaks and other certain cuts of meat, that brand won't serve you well.

McHoop

I’ve got a BGE. It’s great and I love it, but I’m buying a small gas grill soon to do the simple stuff for the kids. Too much work to fire up the egg for a couple burgers or hot dogs

But the egg is a game changer for me on pizza, steaks, turkeys, and ribs. Ability to get super hot and maintain low temps opens up all sorts of options for grilling and smoking.

This.

It's kind of confusing. Kamado is technically the style of grill, but there are some manufacturers that use the term in their name. Kamado Joe is an example. They make ceramic kamado style grills that compete with BGE at similar price points. Sounds like your wife found a great deal on the floor model you have. Char Griller makes the Akorn as well as traditional grills and offset smokers. I don't think they have any ceramic models in their lineup. The Akorn has an inner and outer shell of powder coated steel with insulation between the shells.

And I agree that it's tough to beat tending a grill with a few beers while enjoying the outdoors.
That

TIA

I love my BGE.

Anyone that complains about how long it takes to get it heated up has not experienced the looflighter. Google it. I can get my lump charcoal to 700 degrees in about 10 minutes. You know, about half a cold beer.

It makes the best burgers I’ve ever made. So, whoever can light their propane grill faster is missing out on the quality. In my opinion, hot dogs are hot dogs. I will say this though, a kid told me it was the best hot dog he’s ever had.

As far as price, I live in Metro-Atlanta, the home of BGE and every year multiple hardware stores have their BGE annual “lowest price of the year” sale at the end of November, beginning of December. You can definitely save money then. Maybe Sullivan’s in Indy does the same. You can check.

Good luck! You won’t go wrong with BGE. They come with a lifetime warranty.

Reactions: Ungar16 and kkott
I love my BGE.

Anyone that complains about how long it takes to get it heated up has not experienced the looflighter. Google it. I can get my lump charcoal to 700 degrees in about 10 minutes. You know, about half a cold beer.

It makes the best burgers I’ve ever made. So, whoever can light their propane grill faster is missing out on the quality. In my opinion, hot dogs are hot dogs. I will say this though, a kid told me it was the best hot dog he’s ever had.

As far as price, I live in Metro-Atlanta, the home of BGE and every year multiple hardware stores have their BGE annual “lowest price of the year” sale at the end of November, beginning of December. You can definitely save money then. Maybe Sullivan’s in Indy does the same. You can check.

Exactly my experience. The looflighter is a difference maker. Ribs,beer can chicken,
brisket. tri tip, my Thanksgiving turkey,
pulled pork, anything on skewers, like marinated, bacon-wrapped brussels sprouts,
asparagus.....delectable...larger is always better if you want to prepare multiple items for one meal...
Add the ceramic 'converter', a quality remote dual probe thermometer, looftlighter, a stainless steel base unit and a good cover could represent a $1,200+- investment.

Exactly my experience. The looflighter is a difference maker. Ribs,beer can chicken,
brisket. tri tip, my Thanksgiving turkey,
pulled pork, anything on skewers, like marinated, bacon-wrapped brussels sprouts,
asparagus.....delectable...larger is always better if you want to prepare multiple items for one meal...
Add the ceramic 'converter', a quality remote dual probe thermometer, looftlighter, a stainless steel base unit and a good cover could represent a $1,200+- investment.
Sullivan's is not cheap..
BGE is a carefully controlled brand..not often discounted

I love my BGE.

@HoosierMan11 you just saved me a couple hundred bucks. Going to pick up the looflighter instead of a gas grill now. Thank you.

I love my BGE.

looftlighter... good****inidear! Just bought 2; 1 for me and 1 as a gift for a friend. The bottle opener was the closer! Thanks!

Friend of the family used to be a Traeger dealer and he stopped carrying them after they moved all the production to China. He said the quality started to suffer and as the problems mounted, the quality of their dealer support began to follow. He finally dropped the line and now carries something else. That being said, lots of people say nothing but good things about them.

Not true about the quality. A new team purchased the company 4 years ago and they’ve made excellent improvements.

It is made in China but the quality is outstanding. My little brother runs all production- Purdue Industrial Engineer. I am testing a new traeger- Ironwood 885- it is my third test grill and a game changer. I also have a green egg. The green is very nice- still love for steaks and pizza, but the Traeger make you a better

The Ironwood has a faster and dual directional auger so speed tems are easier to achieve. Temps now easily go over 500F but still no flame ups. The unit now has wifi so you can see the temp of the grill and the meat no matter where you are. You can also make adjustments from your phone. It has a super smoker function between 165F and 225F.

Reactions: pusucks2014
Just passing on what someone who I actually know in real life has told me about his actual experiences. Glad to hear the quality issues are being addressed.

This just came off my Akorn. Put it on around 10:00 last night. Pulled pork for football this afternoon.
cee7JGy.jpg

Reactions: McHoop
I love my Big Green Eggs ( I have 2). I am not sure I will ever get anything other than an Egg. It can cook anything.. Steaks at 600+ degrees, Smoke at 225-250, cook pizzas at high temps, every day grilling etc. I use it on average twice a week and in the summer if we are at the lake I probably use it 3-4 nights a week. My wife says it is the best thing I ever bought myself hahaha. Of course when I went to buy my first Egg she was not happy, 2nd Egg she paid for it. Highly recommend the Green egg.. Get the platesetter, get the electrical lighter, get the temp control for smoking, and meat thermometer instant read. My father in law who swore he would never let me cook a turkey when my wife and i got married.. now won't let me not cook it. I could go on and on about the Egg. Definitely worth every penny I paid for it.

Reactions: eddy4iu and wiede
Amazon Deal of the Day http://amzn.to/2AsHsiM

Looks like a good deal if you don't need a big one.

Be aware that this deal is for the Classic and not the Classic II. The Classic is a good grill, very similar to the same size Green Egg, but does not have 4 features that make the Classic II a very good purchase.

The four features that the Classic II has that the Classic doesn't have are (1) a side vent for the air flow control on top of the grill, so rain won't get in the grill when it's raining, (2) a weighted hinge, which makes lifting the lid much, much easier, (3) a permanent woven gasket around the edge of the grill instead of the felt gasket that has to be replaced about every 2-3 years, and (4) expansion plates around the firebox, which help prevent cracking of the ceramic shell.

We bought the Classic II for about $1,200 (that includes tax) from Costco this past September instead of the Classic, which had been for sale through Costco for about $665 a few months earlier. We're happy with the II . . . and I know others have been happy with the older version of the Classic. Just depends on whether you want the extra features of the II. We did, largely because MrsSope wanted the convenience of the easy to lift lid of the II.

BTW, I jumped on this deal for our men's breakfast contribution to our church's youth auction/fund raiser for remodeling the youth area of the church building. The men's breakfast has already raised $800, and with more $$ in the offing we figure we can buy some accessories and make this an attractive item for bids . . . but I might cancel the order if they guys at church figure that spending more and buying the Classic II would be preferable. I'll talk to them in the morning about it.

Last edited:
I love my BGE.

BGE's HQ is in, or at least is near, Tucker, I believe. Kamado Joe's is in Duluth, about 14 miles up I-85 from the BGE HQ. Primo is also HQed in Metro ATL - in Tucker.

I've listened to all of this and decided since most of you are on the BGE bandwagon that it would be shrewd to go a different direction.

Just bought a Traeger Timberline, and I'll tell you what, the thing is amazing. I'll take it 100 times out of a 100 over the egg. Smoked some pork butts the other day. It was 20 degrees outside most of the time, and it had no problem maintaining the temp. I also decided to do a rack of ribs and threw a pan of chex mix on there at one time. If I'm going to drop that kind of money on a grill/smoker it better be have some capacity to do a lot of meat.

ADVERTISEMENT