ADVERTISEMENT

Things that make you feel old

sglowrider

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
Tiny Red Dot
Here's my list:
  • Jerry Seinfeld was 35 when Seinfeld started. He's now 64.
  • It's almost 25 years since Kurt Cobain killed himself. A quarter of a century.
  • Realising that 18-year-olds now were born in 2000.
  • South Park season one was 1997!! WTF!
  • The Matrix is 20 next year
  • Will Smith is now 5 years older than Uncle Phil was when The Fresh Prince of Bel-air started.

harryhedwig.jpg

• He is now 29!!
  • Bohemian Rapsody was first released as a single nearly 43 years ago -- and Freddie Mercury died nearly 22 years ago
  • Music from the 90s, particularly guitar-led bands (eg Oasis, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Guns n Roses etc), are being described as "classic rock" on Internet radio. Fyi. Welcome to the Jungle is 31 years old.
  • Napster was shut down for copyright infringement 17 years ago.
  • When I first started using the Internet, I had to load up the software on a diskette and the download speed was 5,600kbps. My ISDN (128bps) line cost me $700/mo.

Reactions: cryano
Here's my list:
  • It's almost 25 years since Kurt Cobain killed himself. A quarter of a century.
  • Will Smith is now 5 years older than Uncle Phil was when The Fresh Prince of Bel-air started.

harryhedwig.jpg

• He is now 29!!
  • Bohemian Rapsody was first released as a single nearly 43 years ago -- and Freddie Mercury died nearly 22 years ago
  • Music from the 90s, particularly guitar-led bands (eg Oasis, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Guns n Roses etc), are being described as "classic rock" on Internet radio. Fyi. Welcome to the Jungle is 31 years old.
  • When I first started using the Internet, I had to load up the software on a diskette and the download speed was 5,600kbps. My ISDN (128bps) line cost me $700/mo.
18 year olds born in 2000 or after is what freaks me out. Hard to fathom.

Reactions: sglowrider
I was born in 1985, and the fact that some people werent around for 9/11 freaks me out. We’ve got an intern who was born in 1998, and to her it’s just something in the past. Something she’s read about, but didn’t actually live through. That makes me feel old.

When I first began playing golf in the 1970s, drivers and fairway woods had wooden heads on them. We didn't have hybrids in those days, so we used 3-irons through pitching wedges. Putters were blade putters in those days. Now the clubs in my bag consist of woods with metal heads and graphite shafts, hybrids with graphite shafts and metal heads and five irons ranging from an 8-iron to a 56 degree sand wedge.

I used to love wearing golf shoes with steel spikes. Now, however, I wear golf shoes with soft spikes because most courses won't allow golfers to wear steel spikes.

As most of you know, I still walk when I play golf. However, I no longer carry my bag because I use a push cart. The reason I quit carrying my bag when I reached 59 years of age in 2012 is because I seriously injured my back when a bicyclist was going the wrong way on a one-way street, ran a traffic light and caused me to instinctively slam on my brakes to keep from hitting him.

I used to wear black suede golf gloves. until they were discontinued a few years ago by the manufacturer. The reason I like to wear black golf gloves is because they don't look filthy like white ones. I found some Bionic Relaxed Grip gloves with black palms at Dick's Sporting Goods about a year ago and absolutely love them because they don't have white palms and they are durable. Unfortunately, I stopped by Dick's Bloomington location about two or three months ago and they no longer carry the ones with black palms. Fortunately, I located them at Dick's website a few weeks ago and ordered six gloves that will last me for a about 18 months.

What's my point? It seems as if everything I like eventually gets discontinued and I have to adapt to replacements for them. In other words, the older I get, the more resistant to change I am.

When I first began playing golf in the 1970s, drivers and fairway woods had wooden heads on them. We didn't have hybrids in those days, so we used 3-irons through pitching wedges. Putters were blade putters in those days. Now the clubs in my bag consist of woods with metal heads and graphite shafts, hybrids with graphite shafts and metal heads and five irons ranging from an 8-iron to a 56 degree sand wedge.

I used to love wearing golf shoes with steel spikes. Now, however, I wear golf shoes with soft spikes because most courses won't allow golfers to wear steel spikes.

As most of you know, I still walk when I play golf. However, I no longer carry my bag because I use a push cart. The reason I quit carrying my bag when I reached 59 years of age in 2012 is because I seriously injured my back when a bicyclist was going the wrong way on a one-way street, ran a traffic light and caused me to instinctively slam on my brakes to keep from hitting him.

I used to wear black suede golf gloves. until they were discontinued a few years ago by the manufacturer. The reason I like to wear black golf gloves is because they don't look filthy like white ones. I found some Bionic Relaxed Grip gloves with black palms at Dick's Sporting Goods about a year ago and absolutely love them because they don't have white palms and they are durable. Unfortunately, I stopped by Dick's Bloomington location about two or three months ago and they no longer carry the ones with black palms. Fortunately, I located them at Dick's website a few weeks ago and ordered six gloves that will last me for a about 18 months.

What's my point? It seems as if everything I like eventually gets discontinued and I have to adapt to replacements for them. In other words, the older I get, the more resistant to change I am.

Wait, you walk when you play golf? WTF?

I started teaching as a second career about 6 years ago. A couple years ago one of my students was talking about a car he got and was going to fix up with his dad (I think a cutlass). Anyway, he was saying that the car “was so old, it had 2 keys, one for the door and one to start it.”

The first time I said "Table for 2 please" and the hot young chick said "Right this way. Please follow me, sir."

I started teaching as a second career about 6 years ago. A couple years ago one of my students was talking about a car he got and was going to fix up with his dad (I think a cutlass). Anyway, he was saying that the car “was so old, it had 2 keys, one for the door and one to start it.”

Well, if you want to have a good laugh at the expense of any millenial or younger, try and get them in a car with old roll up windows and ask them to roll them up or down. It's like genetically the muscles in their arms have atrophied or they no longer exist. You'd think you asked them to push the car by themselves. They struggle so much with even being able to do it. I had a work truck that had manual windows and every few weeks when I was riding with my kids to get their license during drivers ed I'd have them drive it and ask them to roll down the windows, and crack up watching them struggle to do so. Comical. God it's great being easily amused!

Well, if you want to have a good laugh at the expense of any millenial or younger, try and get them in a car with old roll up windows and ask them to roll them up or down. It's like genetically the muscles in their arms have atrophied or they no longer exist. You'd think you asked them to push the car by themselves. They struggle so much with even being able to do it. I had a work truck that had manual windows and every few weeks when I was riding with my kids to get their license during drivers ed I'd have them drive it and ask them to roll down the windows, and crack up watching them struggle to do so. Comical. God it's great being easily amused!
Or have them operate an old pickup with 3 on the tree.

Reactions: kkott
Here's my list:

harryhedwig.jpg

• He is now 29!!
My main one is having a son who is pushing 30. Also becoming a Grandpa a few years ago. My grandson is going to be tall. His father is 6'4" and his grandpa is 6'5". I am hoping he grows up liking basketball a lot. If he goes to IU and plays there I would probably cry. LoL.

I was born in 1985, and the fact that some people werent around for 9/11 freaks me out. We’ve got an intern who was born in 1998, and to her it’s just something in the past. Something she’s read about, but didn’t actually live through. That makes me feel old.

Our son was born in 1982. I am 32 years older than you. That makes me feel even older. vbg

Inching closer to 18 years of Rivals membership. Think about that for a moment. Little baby boys being born back then can mingle with us old dudes on here. Some members have stayed, gone or died. The class of 2001 recruits was a long time ago and I cared a hell of lot more back then than I do now.

Here's my list:

harryhedwig.jpg

• He is now 29!!
Things that make a 25-year-old feel like he doesn't know everything:

1. Nothing. Why would I rent an apartment? Mom has too many rooms, is a great housekeeper and my laundry is pretty basic (I think so, but I've never done my own laundry and am afraid to touch my own underwear).
2. Nothing. Why would I buy a cheap used car? I don't need a car because I don't intend to drive to the mall. I can text my friends just as easily from Mom's couch as I could if they were sitting with me 4 feet away at my table at the McDonald's at the mall, so why actually stand up and go there?Besides, it's too hard to get up from the couch and my butt hurts.
3. Nothing. I'm young, so I probably don't need health insurance anyway. I think I'm covered by Mom's insurance, at least I think I might be, maybe. Why do people think they need health insurance anyway? That's for old people, right?
4. Nothing. Who needs car insurance? I love those Liberty Mutual commercials, you know, the ones that say it's "no big deal" to hit a tree or rearend another car. I'll probably never need car insurance and, besides, I read on the internet that it's a ripoff -- if you spend $2,000 per year for car insurance you'll probably never receive $2,000
5. Nothing. Why do I need a savings account? Banks are corrupt and multinational corporations (whatever those are) are terrible, though I couldn't tell you why. I think it has something to do with OccupyWallStreet, but I was too busy to go to the protests so I'm not sure what that's all about.
6. Nothing. I'm really not wasting any time sitting on Mom's couch. I'm spending my time wisely. I found this app that researches all the promising cures for cancer. There's no point in researching my own cure for cancer because the app is already doing that.

When I first began playing golf in the 1970s, drivers and fairway woods had wooden heads on them. We didn't have hybrids in those days, so we used 3-irons through pitching wedges. Putters were blade putters in those days.

You just described the contents of my golf bag, except for the first generation TaylorMade driver . . . and my 2 iron. I do have a sand wedge . . . .

Things that make a 25-year-old feel like he doesn't know everything:

1. Nothing. Why would I rent an apartment? Mom has too many rooms, is a great housekeeper and my laundry is pretty basic (I think so, but I've never done my own laundry and am afraid to touch my own underwear).
2. Nothing. Why would I buy a cheap used car? I don't need a car because I don't intend to drive to the mall. I can text my friends just as easily from Mom's couch as I could if they were sitting with me 4 feet away at my table at the McDonald's at the mall, so why actually stand up and go there?Besides, it's too hard to get up from the couch and my butt hurts.
3. Nothing. I'm young, so I probably don't need health insurance anyway. I think I'm covered by Mom's insurance, at least I think I might be, maybe. Why do people think they need health insurance anyway? That's for old people, right?
4. Nothing. Who needs car insurance? I love those Liberty Mutual commercials, you know, the ones that say it's "no big deal" to hit a tree or rearend another car. I'll probably never need car insurance and, besides, I read on the internet that it's a ripoff -- if you spend $2,000 per year for car insurance you'll probably never receive $2,000
5. Nothing. Why do I need a savings account? Banks are corrupt and multinational corporations (whatever those are) are terrible, though I couldn't tell you why. I think it has something to do with OccupyWallStreet, but I was too busy to go to the protests so I'm not sure what that's all about.
6. Nothing. I'm really not wasting any time sitting on Mom's couch. I'm spending my time wisely. I found this app that researches all the promising cures for cancer. There's no point in researching my own cure for cancer because the app is already doing that.
Let me add:
7. I never carry a wallet. Everything I need is on my cell phone. If there is something I need to bring with me when I go out, I will stick it in my pocket so I can lose it or complain when my mom washes it.

8. I don't carry cash. Why would I? I don't have a wallet. Even when I travel and find places that need cash, I will be okay because someone will help me out or I will just wait until I can use my card as long as it hasn't fallen out of my pocket.

Inching closer to 18 years of Rivals membership. Think about that for a moment. Little baby boys being born back then can mingle with us old dudes on here. Some members have stayed, gone or died. The class of 2001 recruits was a long time ago and I cared a hell of lot more back then than I do now.
Eppy, back in the day couldn't you post on peegs without joining as a guest? I officially joined this site in 02, but I know I used to comment during Coach Knight's firing and even before that. The first time I got onto the internet was in 98 because I was at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago and had to do things online. I am not sure how long it took me to find peegs, but man like you say. We've been here a long time.

I have used onion-skin paper.

I think of Tiger Woods as a kid.

The first thing I wanted to see on the new "internet" was weather radar.

I understand crop reports and fertilizer commercials.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
I have used onion-skin paper.

I think of Tiger Woods as a kid.

The first thing I wanted to see on the new "internet" was weather radar.

I understand crop reports and fertilizer commercials.

Well, crap. I can remember onion skin paper and I'll still listen to the noon commodity updates at lunch when I visit my Dad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT