ADVERTISEMENT

Things are getting worse at FNC

Clearly you haven't watched in several years, which I commend you for. Aside from the Bruce Jenner bullshit, ESPN inserted itself into several politically-motivated stances over the years.

nice thread hijack.

A), the ESPN layoffs had absolutely zero to do with any political stances by anyone, and were about diverting resources away from labor costs, and towards rights fees and the corp bottom line.

ESPN and Disney are still basically printing money, so i wouldn't rush to take up a collection for them.

B) you can't discuss the sports landscape 24/7/365, and not sometimes cross paths with politics.

C), the ESPN layoffs have absolutely zero to do with Fox News' personnel and management fiascos, (and Watters must be more brain dead than the idiots he seeks out to interview). so wrong thread.

Clearly you haven't watched in several years, which I commend you for. Aside from the Bruce Jenner bullshit, ESPN inserted itself into several politically-motivated stances over the years.
I agree and it makes me groan anytime I'm watching or reading about sports, only to be treated to a political editorial. Heck, even ESPN's "public editor" recently admitted as much.

That said, I don't think this has much to do with their struggles. If they didn't make a single change other than depoliticizing all of their content, they'd still be in trouble. Cord-cutting is a big problem for anybody and everybody who is heavily invested in the cable/satellite status quo. And politics is not what is driving people away from the old model -- particularly people who are absolutely vital to ESPN chief demo.
LOL. Talk about snowflakes. Up until recently, they have gone out of their way to try to avoid getting into politics. If that makes you groan, you have become way to sensitive to...I dunno...other thinking, or something.

When you have built a news network around complaining
about those in power and you suddenly find your own guys are in
charge, it is tough to change gears.

The other enemy was the so-called liberal media. Fox burned this
"strawman" years ago according to ratings. Today even FNC arch supporters
realize a mainstream media has given way to social media. The balance in
"balanced news" has shifted.

You have a twitter sense of humor. That comment is no blow job joke. You seein a joke there says more about you than Waters. You want a bj joke?

There was this guy who asked an attractive women in a bar if he could buy her a drink. She turned around a decked him with one punch. As he lay on the floor, he looked up at her and said " . . . . . . . . ."​

You figure it out. That is laugh out loud funny. Your finding a joke in Waters comment? Pathetic comes to mind.
God , I hope you aren't as obtuse in person as you are here. When he made the motion, comment, and jeered, what exactly do you think he was talking about?

How is is the Bruce Jenner story political bullshit?

LOL. Talk about snowflakes. Up until recently, they have gone out of their way to try to avoid getting into politics. If that makes you groan, you have become way to sensitive to...I dunno...other thinking, or something.

No, it's not that I'm sensitive about hearing or discussing politics. If I was, do you think I'd post here?

I just think there are things that don't need to get infected with politics -- and sports is at or near the top of that list.

No, it's not that I'm sensitive about hearing or discussing politics. If I was, do you think I'd post here?

I just think there are things that don't need to get infected with politics -- and sports is at or near the top of that list.
You miss the point. Sports can't be entirely kept clean of politics, but up until about three weeks ago, the policy and practice of ESPN was to strongly discourage any editorializing that might be seen as political. If ESPN's politics made you groan, it was because you were overly sensitive. It had to be, because it couldn't have been a reasonable reaction to one of the most politically bland networks in the history of television.

God , I hope you aren't as obtuse in person as you are here. When he made the motion, comment, and jeered, what exactly do you think he was talking about?

You call it obtuse, I call it level-headed and your exploding head. He was talking with his hands the entire time and you think that fraction of a second insignificant movement is important? We took the same rorschach test. I see an MEH and you see a bj. I'd rather be me.

You call it obtuse, I call it level-headed and your exploding head. He was talking with his hands the entire time and you think that fraction of a second insignificant movement is important? We took the same rorschach test. I see an MEH and you see a bj. I'd rather be me.
You guys need to forget about whether he was referencing a beej or a handie or whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is a journalist shouldn't be reporting on the first daughter like she's just a piece of ass.

Reactions: RBB89
Just happens to coincide with the network's first decline in decades.
Bruh, you have to be kidding. They have zero over-the-air competition. It's all about cord cutting and getting diluted margins from their advertisers spreading the love to streaming channels.

You guys need to forget about whether he was referencing a beej or a handie or whatever. It doesn't matter. What matters is a journalist shouldn't be reporting on the first daughter like she's just a piece of ass.

That's a fair point. But I don't consider Waters, in that role at least, either as a journalist or doing reporting. If Shep Smith, or Bret Baer similarly commented, I would entertain that issue.

That's a fair point. But I don't consider Waters, in that role at least, either as a journalist or doing reporting. If Shep Smith, or Bret Baer similarly commented, I would entertain that issue.
UNSUBSCRIBE

Reactions: DrHoops
Bruh, you have to be kidding. They have zero over-the-air competition. It's all about cord cutting and getting diluted margins from their advertisers spreading the love to streaming channels.
But obviously everyone is dropping that specific channel to get away from the politics, because that's how TV works! À la carte baby!

DWS

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
It's also not even true. The new policy on political opinion is so new, it hasn't even been reflected in the ratings yet. The network has been very non-political overall, but certain snowflakes - here the term is actually appropriate - get offended at even the hint of something they disagree with. mjv brought up Jenner. Why do you think that is? Because there's actually a valid reason to be offended that a sports network would report about Caitlyn Jenner? No, it's because mjv is offended Jenner even exists (dead giveaway: refusal to use the name Caitlyn), and is offended by a network that forces him to remember that she exists.

Then Watters shouldn't be on FNC. If viewers aren't willing to hold him to journalistic standards of decency, he should be replaced with talent that will demand to be held to those standards.

Then Watters shouldn't be on FNC. If viewers aren't willing to hold him to journalistic standards of decency, he should be replaced with talent that will demand to be held to those standards.

Hm. I think he was talking nonsense like most of these chit chat shows are. I see nonsense, you see indecency. Not much more to be said.

You honestly can't believe what you are saying. If so, have no clue how you can exist in a world where you can't make a simple judgement like that. Every single person that saw that clip knew what he was doing, except you. So yeah, I'd rather not be a totally clueless , head in the sand person that doesn't understand a basic reference that everyone else in the world gets. But that's just me. As usual, you didn't address what you thought he was talking about, because as usual, you have no answers. You talk about exploding heads, but you have truly, truly, lost all judgement . Sad.

Hm. I think he was talking nonsense like most of these chit chat shows are. I see nonsense, you see indecency. Not much more to be said.
It's both nonsense and indecency. But the real point is it doesn't belong on a news network. Why does FNC always get a pass for this? If someone at CNN had said this, a lot of you people blowing this off would be up in arms.

BTW, in case you didn't follow up, the FNC folks don't think this is the "meh" you do. Watters is taking a sudden vacation.

It's also not even true. The new policy on political opinion is so new, it hasn't even been reflected in the ratings yet. The network has been very non-political overall, but certain snowflakes - here the term is actually appropriate - get offended at even the hint of something they disagree with. mjv brought up Jenner. Why do you think that is? Because there's actually a valid reason to be offended that a sports network would report about Caitlyn Jenner? No, it's because mjv is offended Jenner even exists (dead giveaway: refusal to use the name Caitlyn), and is offended by a network that forces him to remember that she exists.

http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/20...political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/

This is one city on a swing state but I would bet that the figures are fairly representative of the U.S. as a whole.

A few other thoughts, you are probably less in tune with the political stuff because you fall on the side that is generally being pushed. If Curt Schilling and people that thought like him had a bigger presence on the network instead of being kicked off of it for their opinion, you would probably notice it more.

As far as snowflakes go, there are some of us that do not want political preaching in every damn thing we do. You guys get almost all forms of entertainment pushing your worldview, sports used to be a little more neutral. Some people want to get away from all the social justice shit that has seeped into almost everything in this country. People on the left talk about Christians preaching at them while failing to realize the preachy zealots you have on your side constantly pushing an agenda. When I turn on ESPN I want to hear about sports, not a has been Olympian who, just coming off a stint on the Kardashian clown show, decides he is now a she and decides to filet his penis....among other things. It gets old. Imagine if you turned on the TV and Benny Hinn was doing Sunday Night football, Pat Robertson was doing PTO, and Sean Hannity was wrapping the mistreatment of Tim Tebow into every topic. That is ESPN for many right leaning folks.

It's both nonsense and indecency. But the real point is it doesn't belong on a news network. Why does FNC always get a pass for this? If someone at CNN had said this, a lot of you people blowing this off would be up in arms.

BTW, in case you didn't follow up, the FNC folks don't think this is the "meh" you do. Watters is taking a sudden vacation.

People get a pass for much much worse; including the idiots who said Trump has sexual fantasies about his daughter, the First Lady is a prostitute and don't Bill Clinton's gem and he got $500k for some speeches.

I don't defend the vacation decision. I already said I think it is BS.

I missed that part until just now. That is hilarious. You have to wonder if he even honestly thought anyone would buy that.
Oh I don't think he did it all. I'm willing to bet that he had that same stupid grin on his face when he was typing that tweet.

http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/20...political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/

This is one city on a swing state but I would bet that the figures are fairly representative of the U.S. as a whole.
That just proves a demographic shift. It doesn't back up the accusation the network has become more political.

A few other thoughts, you are probably less in tune with the political stuff because you fall on the side that is generally being pushed. If Curt Schilling and people that thought like him had a bigger presence on the network instead of being kicked off of it for their opinion, you would probably notice it more.

As far as snowflakes go, there are some of us that do not want political preaching in every damn thing we do. You guys get almost all forms of entertainment pushing your worldview, sports used to be a little more neutral. Some people want to get away from all the social justice shit that has seeped into almost everything in this country. People on the left talk about Christians preaching at them while failing to realize the preachy zealots you have on your side constantly pushing an agenda. When I turn on ESPN I want to hear about sports, not a has been Olympian who, just coming off a stint on the Kardashian clown show, decides he is now a she and decides to filet his penis.
I rest my case.

You honestly can't believe what you are saying. If so, have no clue how you can exist in a world where you can't make a simple judgement like that. Every single person that saw that clip knew what he was doing, except you. So yeah, I'd rather not be a totally clueless , head in the sand person that doesn't understand a basic reference that everyone else in the world gets. But that's just me. As usual, you didn't address what you thought he was talking about, because as usual, you have no answers. You talk about exploding heads, but you have truly, truly, lost all judgement . Sad.

This isn't that hard to figure out, Zeke. Some of us see the world as a series of isolated "clips" and others of us see the world as patterns and series of events.

As far as snowflakes go, there are some of us that do not want political preaching in every damn thing we do. You guys get almost all forms of entertainment pushing your worldview, sports used to be a little more neutral. Some people want to get away from all the social justice shit that has seeped into almost everything in this country. People on the left talk about Christians preaching at them while failing to realize the preachy zealots you have on your side constantly pushing an agenda. When I turn on ESPN I want to hear about sports, not a has been Olympian who, just coming off a stint on the Kardashian clown show, decides he is now a she and decides to filet his penis.
Schilling didn't get fired because he's a conservative. He got fired because he was literally retweeting anti-semitic memes and posting juvenile, blatantly offensive crap that anyone who went to high school should be able to tell isn't true. And he basically did this all throughout the day. That's bad for business.

People get a pass for much much worse; including the idiots who said Trump has sexual fantasies about his daughter, the First Lady is a prostitute and don't Bill Clinton's gem and he got $500k for some speeches.

I don't defend the vacation decision. I already said I think it is BS.
If a CNN employee said the first lady was a prostitute, he'd be fired during the next commercial break, and you damn well know it.

That's bad for business.

Exactly, it is bad for business because it alienates viewers. Too bad only one side gets to be protected in that manner. For another example see Indiana's own, Sage Steele. And for what it is worth, I do not want a conservative ESPN. I want sports. Period. Talk to me about trades, strategies, game break downs, and what not and leave the preaching to people of our own choosing when we choose it.

People get mad when they turn on a sports channel expecting to get sports and instead get MSNBC and Fox with a sports additive for flavor

People get mad when they turn on a sports channel expecting to get sports and instead get MSNBC and Fox with a sports additive for flavor
No, people get mad when the turn on a sports channel and someone makes passing reference to something happening in sports that just happens to have a political tint. This whole thing is a myth you're perpetrating. Give it a break.

Exactly, it is bad for business because it alienates viewers. Too bad only one side gets to be protected in that manner. For another example see Indiana's own, Sage Steele. And for what it is worth, I do not want a conservative ESPN. I want sports. Period. Talk to me about trades, strategies, game break downs, and what not and leave the preaching to people of our own choosing when we choose it.

Sage Steele is getting promoted...by ESPN:

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-s...beadle-social-media/1yfva5moh8y31a0ms6fx4jai5

Is there someone else on the network that is currently using social media to spread stupid, hateful memes? Because again, that's why Schilling got fired. Is there someone specific that you're referring to?

No, people get mad when the turn on a sports channel and someone makes passing reference to something happening in sports that just happens to have a political tint. This whole thing is a myth you're perpetrating. Give it a break.

A myth supported by statistics. Some people are tuning out ESPN because of politics (among other things). The link I provided is some evidence. Linda Cohn came out a few days ago and said she believes it is part of the equation. At the end of the day though it really is no skin off my nose, I watch ESPN for basically 2 things only, IU games and Colts games. I gave up on their other offerings a long time ago.

A myth supported by statistics. Some people are tuning out ESPN because of politics (among other things). The link I provided is some evidence. Linda Cohn came out a few days ago and said she believes it is part of the equation. At the end of the day though it really is no skin off my nose, I watch ESPN for basically 2 things only, IU games and Colts games. I gave up on their other offerings a long time ago.
The data show a demographic shift. They don't say anything about editorial content. I maintain the supposedly leftward lean of the Worldwide Leader is way overblown. I would grant that certain topics might come up that make conservatives uncomfortable more often - sports, for example, has always brought with it a discussion of race. But that doesn't mean the network is pushing an agenda.

The data show a demographic shift. They don't say anything about editorial content. I maintain the supposedly leftward lean of the Worldwide Leader is way overblown. I would grant that certain topics might come up that make conservatives uncomfortable more often - sports, for example, has always brought with it a discussion of race. But that doesn't mean the network is pushing an agenda.
It's a War on Sports I tell ya !!

Reactions: DrHoops and RBB89

how bout we ask daddy what he thought Watters was referring to.

anybody at Fox stuck a mic in the Donald's face since the comment, to ask his take on it? (i'm guessing not).

i don't look for JW to be doing any personal interviews of the prez anytime soon. (he'd be the one needing the security).

Watters suddenly went on vacation from Fox till Monday.

be interesting to see if he's back Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT