ADVERTISEMENT

They don't even try to hide it.

You really don't? That is easy, less government. I live in an area with a lot of Amish, Conservatives that drive buggies and they love less govt and stay out of their business and like Trump. It is really simple to see to me . There is a big difference in hillbillies and rednecks if we want to go down that road too. Hillbillies if you choose to use that word take care of themselves. You might laugh at how they do it but are fiercely independent . Rednecks I don't really get, They do stupid stuff on purpose ............I also don't get Hispanics with hydraulics on cars to bounce or Blacks with 24'' rims on an old Caprice. I bet some of them leave carts in parking lots as well.
I thought that too re independence but that population is also intertwined with entitlements. SsD as well

No comment at all on the Harvard publication?

Figures... You prefer Weekly world News.
I replied, MoT. What does congressional representation have to do with who gets a vaccine and doesn’t?

With your sound logic, doesn’t that mean that it’s Biden’s fault for the unvaccinated?

Are you this silly?

You wanted facts and I gave you facts.

Your congressman shouldn't have that sort of pull, that you believe nonsense, but it does reflect some very interesting trends across 50 states.

Sure, there are also racial disparities, and there are other links focusing on that. But the fact that there is a political bent to the COVID antivaccination movement is undeniable.
I asked why a whole swath of unvaccinated people, being people of color, that voted against Trump isn’t important to you and it’s just GOP BAD and you have no answer other than to point out congress representation. It’s because you’re a silly partisan. Silly silly silly.

Reactions: jet812
Since this is the Republican primary we're talking about, couldn't a reasonable Republican like Portman win if all the Trumpy candidates divide all the Trumpy votes?
Portman is retiring, so this is essentially a moderate seat the pubs are trying to acquire for the Trump wing. Trump has endorsed Mandel but Mandel is loopy and already lost to Brown. I think ultimately he'll be the nominee, but the general will be a possible opportunity for the Dems to pick up the seat...

I saw a video from Tim Ryan a few months back, and if he becomes the Dem nominee he has the same sort of commitment to workers that allowed Brown to initially defeat Mandel in 2012 and force him to withdraw from the race in 2018. This GOP field is crammed with folks trying to out-Trump Trump, and it seems to me when that happens it will be harder and harder for whoever emerges to try and pivot in the general. Esp if Ryan ends up running unopposed. Another race that will be fascinating to watch unfold...

Reactions: UncleMark
Trumpers existed long before Trump. They just went by different names.
Trump found a way to appeal to them.
Two things;

First, I don’t think you can describe a ”Trumper” in a way that makes sense,

Second, and more importantly, I think you and many others here use the word “Trumper” or “Trumpist” as a general catch-all pejorative for anybody with whom you disagree in lieu of making a cogent argument about ideas.

"It would be refreshing if we could get back on the subject matter. I hate all professional politicians. It was part of Trump's appeal. Despite his thousands of mistakes and head-shaking statements/tweets, he came down hard on the card-carrying tenured politicians. Politics seems to be the one profession where the practitioners tend not to improve with age and "experience." I would contend they get worse."

But is a phony appeal. At least most people who initially enter public service/politics at a young age do so because of some sense of civic responsibility. They often become jaded and overstay their welcome, but usually that's not the case when they first enter the realm...

Trump was already a self-serving businessman who never did anything to enrich the lives of others before he decided to get into the public realm of politics. But his history starting with his discrimination against prospective Black tenants in 1970, all his shady business dealings, his idiotic persecution of the Central Park 5, and his embracing and dogged pursuit of "birtherism" are all examples of his building his brand and enriching his own pockets.

He isn't a saint
He's always been a behind-the-scenes politician-it's not like he and Rudy first worked together in the Admin. What about Trump appealed to you, and convinced you he was not a politician- his lack of running for office?

EVERYTHING he's done throughout his life has been self-centered,- heck most people trace his decision to actually run for POTUS back to the public humiliation he suffered from Obama joking about him at the Correspondent's dinner in 2011. Can you name a single "cause" Trump champions that ultimately doesn't benefit him and his brand on a personal or business level?
He isnt a saint but when you post in absolutes ''EVERYTHING"you are always going to be wrong, You seem to love research and posting books. Look up the child transplant that airlines wouldnt take the responsibility so Trump used his private Jet . Ask George Foreman what he thinks. I am sure somewhere in your life you have done something but wondering what.

I really like Appalachia stuff. I think it’s fascinating. I’ve watched several docs evidencing his support amongst hillbillies. I just don’t get it
Trump was sticking it to people who'd stuck it to hillbillies for some time. What more do you need?

Now, his "sticking it to people" didn't amount to much but we're no longer a real deep thinking society.

You really don't? That is easy, less government. I live in an area with a lot of Amish, Conservatives that drive buggies and they love less govt and stay out of their business and like Trump. It is really simple to see to me . There is a big difference in hillbillies and rednecks if we want to go down that road too. Hillbillies if you choose to use that word take care of themselves. You might laugh at how they do it but are fiercely independent . Rednecks I don't really get, They do stupid stuff on purpose ............I also don't get Hispanics with hydraulics on cars to bounce or Blacks with 24'' rims on an old Caprice. I bet some of them leave carts in parking lots as well.
I grew up in a small town (4,500) with one stoplight and no chain stores/restaurants. Hell, my dog, when he got older, slept away much of his days in the middle of our street (not road, like a country road, but street) in front of our house.
While I had friends of both types you describe, I knew I was getting out as soon as I could. My parents still live there, and the town has shrunk, and is a depressing shell of its former self.
I don't understand why anyone stays there, and I have unsuccessfully tried to talk my parents into moving to a bigger city, with doctors and everything. My dad has said he will be wheeled out of our house in a stretcher.

You wanted facts and I gave you facts.

Your congressman shouldn't have that sort of pull, that you believe nonsense, but it does reflect some very interesting trends across 50 states.

Sure, there are also racial disparities, and there are other links focusing on that. But the fact that there is a political bent to the COVID antivaccination movement is undeniable.

My last post with you bc you really are too stupid to waste time on. You have older blacks with inculcated fear arising from Tuskegee, young blacks that just don’t care, Hispanics that don’t care, people that don’t trust EAU, people that aren’t worried about it bc the stats are overwhelmingly in their favor, granola Soccer moms, whites that just don’t care, and on and on. Yet all you ever focus on are “trumpers’ despite trump bragging incessantly about vaccines. You really are a moron and I can’t imagine anyone hiring you to opine to anything. That you have the temerity to call out cray or danc or anyone else is comical.

So, what's the idea behind you coming off the DL?
What DL?

I got the last batch of stitches out yesterday, but other than lifting more than 5 lbs or swinging a golf club I've been able to do what I want or need to do. And that was only a 15 day limitation . . .

. . . I'm just not interested in the tit-wringer for tit-wringer exchanges here. I've got other things to do. New irons are on order - should be here anytime between now and September 1 (getting Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 custom shafts from Japan is the hold up) - and if those work I'll head back for a driver/fairway woods fitting, then a wedges fitting . . . maybe a putter fitting (although I told myself when I was 15 that buying one putter and learning how to use it was the right thing to do, after watching my dad buy putter after putter with the same results . . . (note to self "it ain't the putter . . . it's the putterer"). Currently I'm making do with off-the-rack Taylormade M6 driver and 5 metal, and 3 off-the-rack Cleveland RTX wedges . . . I'll likely keep the 50 degree (may change out the shaft for a plus 1/2" and +1 the lie angle) and sort out whether to replace the 54 and 58 . . . I'm pretty sure I'll need to at least get a low bounce in the 58 for tight lies . . .

. . . also have been going round and round with ADP on my health insurance coverage through my wife's former employment. Had to send 2 letters to the President and GC to get someone authorized to fix the issue . . . this for the standard $0 premium Medicare plan . . .

. . . and then there's the yard work . . . making small capital improvements to make the maintenance easier for when I get too old to do the crap work in the yard.

I reacquainted myself with the real world after the election. It can be a nice alternative to this place.

Two things;

First, I don’t think you can describe a ”Trumper” in a way that makes sense,

Second, and more importantly, I think you and many others here use the word “Trumper” or “Trumpist” as a general catch-all pejorative for anybody with whom you disagree in lieu of making a cogent argument about ideas.
You always have to make your responses to my posts about me. 😉

Christ on a Rocket, Master of Testimony, why does a whole swath of people that voted against trump continue to be unvaccinated?

Im starting to doubt you’re a man of science. You’re a deeply flawed partisan that has zero introspection.
Maybe, Tuskeegee study of syphilis?

If that's not it, what swath of people are you talking about?

Maybe, Tuskeegee study of syphilis?

If that's not it, what swath of people are you talking about?
Fully agreed. But the Master of Testimony only like to point out when white Republicans take stupid positions on vaccines. Blaming the Tuskegee study of syphilis is just as stupid a reason to not be vaccinated. But that doesn’t fit MoT’s target demo so it’s ignored.

It would be refreshing if we could get back on the subject matter. I hate all professional politicians. It was part of Trump's appeal. Despite his thousands of mistakes and head-shaking statements/tweets, he came down hard on the card-carrying tenured politicians. Politics seems to be the one profession where the practitioners tend not to improve with age and "experience." I would contend they get worse.

Vance, as a non-politician, is worth the look. I don't care what he said about Trump once might not be what he says now. Harris and Biden weren't exactly trading hugs and kisses. Now, Jill Biden hates Harris. Even Skeletor voted for it before he voted against it or something . . .
Vance is in line to become the new and improved Mike Pence. He ought to note what happens to people who tie their wagons to Trump . . . and if he decided to jump in anyway after making that calculation then he's not as smart as his fancy law degree would portend.

Reactions: cosmickid
Ask a 5th grader. People who collectively are stupid enough to elect numbnuts like Taylor Green or Bobert to represent them tend to be slack-jawed COVID spreaders.

Is thinking hard for you?
And those that elect Cori Bush and Hank Johnson?

You don’t know how statistics and charts work, do you? I hope they don’t show them in court when you’re crushing it.

Youve somehow now managed to basically blame African Americans for electing MTG. Well done.

Reactions: jet812
Vance is in line to become the new and improved Mike Pence. He ought to note what happens to people who tie their wagons to Trump . . . and if he decided to jump in anyway after making that calculation then he's not as smart as his fancy law degree would portend.
Not hard to be an improved Pence. If he has a personality and isn’t a blood-sucking leech he’ll be an upgrade.

I was just answering your query on how all this was happening before Trump. (Hint: There is a YUGE difference between people who voted for Trump, and Trumpers. Not all people who voted for Trump are Trumpers, but all Trumpers voted for Trump.)
What's your point on "welfare recipients"?
Finally, I have no doubt about your cart story. As to the stray cart, you probably didn't want It scratching your pick up (just kidding).
Believe it or not, this evil Lefty has often done the same with regards to parking lot courtesy, especially with older people...even though I am one.

I think you know what I meant by welfare recipients and carts! I do have a pickup, old and I love it because it stock sits low enough I can reach over the side and also load stuff myself for business. I also have a diesel VW Bug because it still gets right around 50 MPG and I love pulling in to a truck stop and watching rednecks and truck drivers reaction when I fill it up. Best one is '' is that diesel?'' I reply naw just thought Id give it a try once. Evil lefty you? No but there are some here , and a few that think anyone else is evil. Carts have nothing to do with politics, it is manners which is what garnered my initial response. One of the most selfish things you can do and maybe it is small but it tells a lot is not returning a cart. Helping someone else is above and they don't need to be old if Im headed in and someone is done I usually offer , again pre 2020. I bet OS is the bicycle guy that doesn't care at all how much traffic he may tie up he wont get off to the side for anybody.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
What DL?

I got the last batch of stitches out yesterday, but other than lifting more than 5 lbs or swinging a golf club I've been able to do what I want or need to do. And that was only a 15 day limitation . . .

. . . I'm just not interested in the tit-wringer for tit-wringer exchanges here. I've got other things to do. New irons are on order - should be here anytime between now and September 1 (getting Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 custom shafts from Japan is the hold up) - and if those work I'll head back for a driver/fairway woods fitting, then a wedges fitting . . . maybe a putter fitting (although I told myself when I was 15 that buying one putter and learning how to use it was the right thing to do, after watching my dad buy putter after putter with the same results . . . (note to self "it ain't the putter . . . it's the putterer"). Currently I'm making do with off-the-rack Taylormade M6 driver and 5 metal, and 3 off-the-rack Cleveland RTX wedges . . . I'll likely keep the 50 degree (may change out the shaft for a plus 1/2" and +1 the lie angle) and sort out whether to replace the 54 and 58 . . . I'm pretty sure I'll need to at least get a low bounce in the 58 for tight lies . . .

. . . also have been going round and round with ADP on my health insurance coverage through my wife's former employment. Had to send 2 letters to the President and GC to get someone authorized to fix the issue . . . this for the standard $0 premium Medicare plan . . .

. . . and then there's the yard work . . . making small capital improvements to make the maintenance easier for when I get too old to do the crap work in the yard.

I reacquainted myself with the real world after the election. It can be a nice alternative to this place.

What!? Can't hear you!

Day two of a four-day window replacement project. Along with the new blinds/shades/whatever-they're-called my bride is having installed Saturday this project will cost as much as my first condo.

I grew up in a small town (4,500) with one stoplight and no chain stores/restaurants. Hell, my dog, when he got older, slept away much of his days in the middle of our street (not road, like a country road, but street) in front of our house.
While I had friends of both types you describe, I knew I was getting out as soon as I could. My parents still live there, and the town has shrunk, and is a depressing shell of its former self.
I don't understand why anyone stays there, and I have unsuccessfully tried to talk my parents into moving to a bigger city, with doctors and everything. My dad has said he will be wheeled out of our house in a stretcher.
I grew up a suburban kid and became a suburban adult and I like the amenities I have available to me. However, there is something to be said for the small town life. I think the major disconnect we have politically at the moment is that the urbanites pretty much run the country and like you they don't understand the appeal to many people of being away from it all. Furthermore, unlike you, many of them have never lived that type of life and so they don't understand it. And boy oh boy are they great at denigrating that which they do not know.

Fully agreed. But the Master of Testimony only like to point out when white Republicans take stupid positions on vaccines. Blaming the Tuskegee study of syphilis is just as stupid a reason to not be vaccinated. But that doesn’t fit MoT’s target demo so it’s ignored.
I live in Atlanta and for a good while lived next door to a Tuskeegee graduate. The pain inflicted then is still very much alive today.

BTW, there are tons of white folks here who aren't vaccinated . . . their trust for the government is nonexistent. Why?

I grew up a suburban kid and became a suburban adult and I like the amenities I have available to me. However, there is something to be said for the small town life. I think the major disconnect we have politically at the moment is that the urbanites pretty much run the country and like you they don't understand the appeal to many people of being away from it all. Furthermore, unlike you, many of them have never lived that type of life and so they don't understand it. And boy oh boy are they great at denigrating that which they do not know.
That’s why college towns like Bloomington are such wonderful places

But that doesn’t fit MoT’s target demo so it’s ignored.
I brought up a study on racial disparity in vaccinations in post #63, then supplemented that with a study specifically focusing on political factors in post #71.

Keep up.
Post better.
Think.

I live in Atlanta and for a good while lived next door to a Tuskeegee graduate. The pain inflicted then is still very much alive today.

BTW, there are tons of white folks here who aren't vaccinated . . . their trust for the government is nonexistent. Why?
I don’t doubt the pain at all.

I’m not arguing the latter point whatsoever. I’m merely pointing out that to say the reason we’re not at herd immunity on the vaccine side isn’t a “white GOP” problem. There are multiple facets and angry white morons is only one of them….

You and I know that, but the Master of Testimony - who lords over a society of 7M professionals - does not.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
He isn't a saint

He isnt a saint but when you post in absolutes ''EVERYTHING"you are always going to be wrong, You seem to love research and posting books. Look up the child transplant that airlines wouldnt take the responsibility so Trump used his private Jet . Ask George Foreman what he thinks. I am sure somewhere in your life you have done something but wondering what.
I'm going to say that putting the story in a book you wrote about yourself qualifies as building your brand. Granted, we may disagree on that point...

"It isn’t quite true, though, to say that Trump “hasn’t used the story to boost his public image.” Although (as far as we know) Trump himself hadn’t yet brought it up during the 2016 presidential campaign cycle, he touted it as one of his accomplishments in his 2000 book The America We Deserve, which he put out as he was flirting with seeking the presidential nomination of the Reform Party:

Another case that was a perfect fit [for my organizational talents] was Andrew Ten, who lived in California. He needed desperately to come to the East Coast because a very rare and very dangerous medical condition threatened his life. His parents felt that they had exhausted the medical options in the West and wanted this brave three-year-old to have the best shot possible at overcoming his challenge. They wanted him to be seen by doctors at the Long Island Jewish Medical Center.
The problem was that the commercial airlines refused to fly the child. He couldn’t leave his home without a portable oxygen tank, a suction machine, a device to help him breathe, and other medical gear. Like all good parents, Andrew’s searched high and low for a solution. Eventually they called me. Though I had never heard of this family, my heart immediately went out to them. And when it was time, so did my Boeing 737, with three nurses on board.
This is also a story Donald Trump might now want to distance himself from because in 2014 the sick boy’s father, Harold Ten, was charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) of taking part in a scheme that “allowed a ring of brokers, investment advisers, and their clients to profit from the deaths of terminally ill patients”:

I just think everything Trump does has a sleaze element to it. Obviously, you feel differently...

What!? Can't hear you!

Day two of a four-day window replacement project. Along with the new blinds/shades/whatever-they're-called my bride is having installed Saturday this project will cost as much as my first condo.
Which replacement windows did you buy? We put in OKNA 800 dx about 5 years ago. Great project.

I thought you were moving to Reynolds Plantation? Or did you lose that, um, discussion?

Its not small here , I just live in a township dominated by a group of Conservative Mennonites that hold onto land. Elkhart County isn't shrinking until the next great recession. If I could do over Id be in the next county over. That is OK to be different in that regard. I like being somewhat secluded , a subdivision would be my worst nightmare!

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I brought up a study on racial disparity in vaccinations in post #39, then supplemented that with a study spefically focusing on political leanings in post #71.

Keep up.
Post better.
Think.
You’re a liar and a misleader. In post 39 you put up a misleading chart showing the racial makeup of what only those that said they were waiting for more info or would not get the vaccine. You didn’t provide the full story which is who has actually been vaccinated. You’re a liar and a misleader and a shameful hack.

I just looked it up on Google Maps...Denigration is a two-way street. 😉

Reactions: Crayfish57
That’s why college towns like Bloomington are such wonderful places

Yeah, but they don't seem to believe in weed killers around town and the university. We were there last weekend and I thought the grounds around the Union looked rather untended. With the grounds crews and maintenance staff the university must have the place looked unkempt.

Didn't impact the beer, however . . .

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Care to address the comment in light of its application to JD Vance?
Sure. The GOP needs more Vances. We need more people that don’t kiss the ring and don’t need to. The sooner we can purge Trumpism the better.

Guys like Vance - who don’t need to do politics - are the impetus to get that started en masse. If he chooses to kiss the ring then we don’t need him.

Which replacement windows did you buy? We put in OKNA 800 dx about 5 years ago. Great project.

I thought you were moving to Reynolds Plantation? Or did you lose that, um, discussion?

Andersen 400 Woodwrights.

Reynolds is still on the radar. Also been looking at western NC and SC as well as Tellico in TN. Not much was coming available in Reynolds but it's still number one on the charts. Been rather diverted as my FIL passed away in May and we were called back from Greenville, SC before we could head down to Woodside in Aiken, SC. So, my bride has been swamped with estate issues.

Sure. The GOP needs more Vances. We need more people that don’t kiss the ring and don’t need to. The sooner we can purge Trumpism the better.

Guys like Vance - who don’t need to do politics - are the impetus to get that started en masse.
Vance has made the pilgrimage to Mar-A-Lago and kissed the ring. That's not the first red flag I've noted on the guy.

I live just a few miles away from most all I need, Could use a few more choices in restaurants but plenty of choices for groceries and most else. I have a local small butcher shop, local produce other small places. It is a unique place and I am insulated because of this group. They would appear Amish and have those close by but save a redneck that bought a lot next door that I shouldve bought its really nice. The whole Chicago/Indy thread was just ridiculous to me debating the murder rates ? Wow , hey if someone wants to live there fine but doesn't mean people who choose not to are lesser beings

Andersen 400 Woodwrights.

Reynolds is still on the radar. Also been looking at western NC and SC as well as Tellico in TN. Not much was coming available in Reynolds but it's still number one on the charts. Been rather diverted as my FIL passed away in May and we were called back from Greenville, SC before we could head down to Woodside in Aiken, SC. So, my bride has been swamped with estate issues.
We looked in Tellico Village a few years back . . . nice place. Saw a former coworker at a local grill there and said "no thanks".

We're still interested in places like Cashiers, Lake Senteelah, and Brevard/Hendersonville . . . might look around the Winchester/Tim's Ford area in Tennessee. So far I'm not advancing this argument much . . . and my cousin's husband isn't persuading her of the advantages of moving either.

ADVERTISEMENT