ADVERTISEMENT

They don't even try to hide it.

Circlejoe

All-Big Ten
Sep 26, 2001
Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance didn't even flinch. His people let him know the truth...you want to be in the US Senate? You have to do a complete reversal, apologize, and kiss Trump's ass or you have no chance to get the nomination. Up until he made the decision to run, Vance made multiple criticisms about Trump. It wasn't even mild criticism. It was harsh. But reality hit. Makes you wonder how he would hold up to major donors, corporations, etc. when faced with important votes in Congress. Let's see...I could vote this way because it would benefit the people, or I could vote this way because I want to keep my job.

"Like a lot of people, I criticized Trump back in 2016," Vance said. "And I ask folks not to judge me based on what I said in 2016, because I've been very open that I did say those critical things and I regret them, and I regret being wrong about the guy." Vance added that he thought Trump was a good president and that "he made a lot of good decisions for people, and I think he took a lot of flak."
"I think that's the most important thing, is not what you said five years ago, but whether you're willing to stand up and take the heat and take the hits for actually defending the interests of the American people," he said.

There's no shame in congress these days.

Link:

That's truly insane.

Conservatives and far right politicians like to say that their liberal counterparts kowtow to people like the Clintons and Obama. Like in some weird way, they were pulling the strings on the party. Obviously no one owned up to this type of ridiculous mob-like rule because it wasn't the case. Just last week one of my conspiracy obsessed friend posted something about Obama being the only president not to leave Washington. He didn't really have a point beyond that, but he was sure that meant something, though I'm not sure what.

As you mentioned, not even trying to hide the fact that they've ceded all power and authority to Trump. Anyone in the GOP who wants to get elected has to kiss the Trump ring and be crazier and further flung than the last candidate.

As an aside. I find JD Vance to be a hack and I hope he never holds elected office.

Reactions: cosmickid
As you mentioned, not even trying to hide the fact that they've ceded all power and authority to Trump. Anyone in the GOP who wants to get elected has to kiss the Trump ring and be crazier and further flung than the last candidate.
Since this is the Republican primary we're talking about, couldn't a reasonable Republican like Portman win if all the Trumpy candidates divide all the Trumpy votes?

Since this is the Republican primary we're talking about, couldn't a reasonable Republican like Portman win if all the Trumpy candidates divide all the Trumpy votes?

Vance has Peter Thiel money. Jane Timken and Josh Mandel will drop out. Trump will make multiple visits. Vance will blister Tim Ryan.

Portman, Kasich and Boehner will have no impact.

Vance has Peter Thiel money. Jane Timken and Josh Mandel will drop out. Trump will make multiple visits. Vance will blister Tim Ryan.

Portman, Kasich and Boehner will have no impact.
I think those three won't have any impact because they've stepped away and have lost the stomach for it. I don't agree with any of them on a number of things, but at least they had standards and principals they wouldn't compromise.

That's truly insane.

Conservatives and far right politicians like to say that their liberal counterparts kowtow to people like the Clintons and Obama. Like in some weird way, they were pulling the strings on the party. Obviously no one owned up to this type of ridiculous mob-like rule because it wasn't the case. Just last week one of my conspiracy obsessed friend posted something about Obama being the only president not to leave Washington. He didn't really have a point beyond that, but he was sure that meant something, though I'm not sure what.

As an aside. I find JD Vance to be a hack and I hope he never holds elected office.
Meanwhile

What’s more interesting here is that Ohio used to be a swing state. It’s glowing red now, much like Indiana and Missouri.

Every bit as dumb as circle joe. Imo they came out of the woodwork in response to the incessant gop attacks. I don’t remember them being as prevalent last year (s)
How you doing, m? I feel like we don't talk any more.

BTW, by "gop attacks", do you mean "attacks by the gop", or "attacks on the gop"?

This is some mighty revisionist history. Democrats turned on Vance the second he said the first thing that wasn’t critical of Trump. When he first wrote the book, his political affiliations weren't immediately clear. Over time it became more clear he was Conservative and someone Democrats couldn't support despite many originally praising his book as a lens into the mind of a Trump voter.

Reactions: DANC
What’s more interesting here is that Ohio used to be a swing state. It’s glowing red now, much like Indiana and Missouri.
I still have trouble reconciling Obama winning IN in 2008 and then Trump winning by large margins in 2016/20. Boggles the mind. The people weren't all that different. There was no influx (like say GA or Nevada) of newer voters. Seems odd there would be a shift that large on just policy grounds. I used to think Trump really did bring folks out of the woodwork that had no intention of ever being involved in the voting process. But in 2016 there were about 140,000 fewer votes case than in 2008. 2020 was a different story but I think that was true everywhere relative to turnout. Trump's vote share as a Republican in 2016 was the worst since Gerald Ford in 76**.

Hillary was a terrible candidate for the Dems.

** absent the Perot years

I still have trouble reconciling Obama winning IN in 2008 and then Trump winning by large margins in 2016/20. Boggles the mind. The people weren't all that different. There was no influx (like say GA or Nevada) of newer voters. Seems odd there would be a shift that large on just policy grounds. I used to think Trump really did bring folks out of the woodwork that had no intention of ever being involved in the voting process. But in 2016 there were about 140,000 fewer votes case than in 2008. 2020 was a different story but I think that was true everywhere relative to turnout. Trump's vote share as a Republican in 2016 was the worst since Gerald Ford in 76**.

obama had a lot going for him - in particular he was super smart, polished, and seemed presidential. as trite as that may sound. it was easy to support obama imo. what he did to cover those with pre-existing conditions will have a lasting impact far greater than what most presidents have ever accomplished

Well, both really - in fairness. All good in the hood
You are probably right.
I just smile that some are able to read the posts of the likes of DANC, cray, COH, Stoll, Lucy ;), Masa, ulrey, Floor, Fletch, HDG, Crazy, VPM, Univee, Hoopsdoc, Jet, mushroomhead, plus 2 obvious right leaning mods (IUJIM and NPT), in addition to those posters who say they're middle of the road, but save their ire exclusively for the Left, and finally those who really are central (you, Aloha, Brad, etc...), and want to claim this board is some sort of left-wing stronghold.

60-40 at most.

It is almost as if people might be looking for something....Obama ran on Hope and Change and was a polished politician. Then he got in office and was found to be more of the same and lost a bunch of support. Trump ran as antiestablishment and was his own worst enemy when he got in office (there is an article traveling around some conservative sites today that has a laundry list of where he went wrong...) and that hurt him. At the end of the day though, there is pent up anger at the establishment. They are **** ups. Right, left, and in between the "elites" (I use that term loosely) that run this country are mostly juvenile morons who have obtained their position on dubious credentials.

You are probably right.
I just smile that some are able to read the posts of the likes of DANC, cray, COH, Stoll, Lucy ;), Masa, ulrey, Floor, Fletch, HDG, Crazy, VPM, Univee, Hoopsdoc, Jet, mushroomhead, plus 2 obvious right leaning mods (IUJIM and NPT), in addition to those posters who say they're middle of the road, but save their ire exclusively for the Left, and finally those who really are central (you, Aloha, Brad, etc...), and want to claim this board is some sort of left-wing stronghold.

60-40 at most.
It’s not fair to lump all right posters together nor left. There are many on the right and left who are clearly partisan but post content. Just off the top of my head I think of Coh and tommy. Partisan people but they post content. I’m great with that. What I can’t stand and what taints the board are the hit job posts that are nothing more than look how dumb the gop/dims are. Both sides have nasty warts at the moment and the posts naturally devolve into name calling threads

It is almost as if people might be looking for something....Obama ran on Hope and Change and was a polished politician. Then he got in office and was found to be more of the same and lost a bunch of support. Trump ran as antiestablishment and was his own worst enemy when he got in office (there is an article traveling around some conservative sites today that has a laundry list of where he went wrong...) and that hurt him. At the end of the day though, there is pent up anger at the establishment. They are **** ups. Right, left, and in between the "elites" (I use that term loosely) that run this country are mostly juvenile morons who have obtained their position on dubious credentials.
I do think you're right. There's a huge middle in this country that shares far more with each other than the poles in either party.

It’s not fair to lump all right posters together nor left. There are many on the right and left who are clearly partisan but post content. Just off the top of my head I think of Coh and tommy. Partisan people but they post content. I’m great with that. What I can’t stand and what taints the board are the hit job posts that are nothing more than look how dumb the gop/dims are. Both sides have nasty warts at the moment and the posts naturally devolve into name calling threads
I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying it's funny for the Righties to say this is basically a meeting of the SDS, with all those active posters I listed. Not saying those posters are bad or even wrong...unless they are claiming this is some sort of meeting of the DNC going on here.

This is some mighty revisionist history. Democrats turned on Vance the second he said the first thing that wasn’t critical of Trump. When he first wrote the book, his political affiliations weren't immediately clear. Over time it became more clear he was Conservative and someone Democrats couldn't support despite many originally praising his book as a lens into the mind of a Trump voter.
JD is a asshat and he's been wrong from the start. Why is he speaking for anyone?

You are probably right.

60-40 at most.
Here’s the difference Bulk. I post about what I believe are destructive if not dangerous positions of Democrat politicians and pundits and you, mark, goat, shooter, and several others respond with posts about me. Hoot, and often marv, will post content in response. Most of the left on this board see it as an adolescent smack down exercise. Most of the right see it as a place to discuss ideas.

Here’s the difference Bulk. I post about what I believe are destructive if not dangerous positions of Democrat politicians and pundits and you, mark, goat, shooter, and several others respond with posts about me. Hoot, and often marv, will post content in response. Most of the left on this board see it as an adolescent smack down exercise. Most of the right see it as a place to discuss ideas.
Both total bullshit, and completely off topic.
Well done.

Reactions: UncleMark
Most of the RIGHT on this board see EVERYTHING as an adolescent smack down exercise. I'm talking DANC, crayfish, Lucy, Fletch, jet... and more.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
You have to count the number of 'Likes' on their posts to determine their worth/popularity LOL
I think I generate more “likes” than any poster. The vast majority of “likes” are seen on snarky smack down posts. That tells us all we need to know about the board.

The fact that there are a few nutjobs on the far left shouldn't distract anyone from the fact that a hoarde of truth-denying Trump rumpswabs also exists.
No shit Sherlock. But I’m made to believe only crazy conservative politicians have been elected.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The difference is that you in particular and many left leaning posters actually “like” the smackdowns.
I wouldn’t count Grover Dill’s likes as actual likes. He’s, well, he’s Grover.

Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance didn't even flinch. His people let him know the truth...you want to be in the US Senate? You have to do a complete reversal, apologize, and kiss Trump's ass or you have no chance to get the nomination. Up until he made the decision to run, Vance made multiple criticisms about Trump. It wasn't even mild criticism. It was harsh. But reality hit. Makes you wonder how he would hold up to major donors, corporations, etc. when faced with important votes in Congress. Let's see...I could vote this way because it would benefit the people, or I could vote this way because I want to keep my job.

"Like a lot of people, I criticized Trump back in 2016," Vance said. "And I ask folks not to judge me based on what I said in 2016, because I've been very open that I did say those critical things and I regret them, and I regret being wrong about the guy." Vance added that he thought Trump was a good president and that "he made a lot of good decisions for people, and I think he took a lot of flak."
"I think that's the most important thing, is not what you said five years ago, but whether you're willing to stand up and take the heat and take the hits for actually defending the interests of the American people," he said.

There's no shame in congress these days.

Link:
A wise woman* reportedly once said "you have to choose to be dirty."

*Some poster's mother, I think. I'll leave identifying that poster to the poster . . . .

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
This is either delusional or complete bullshit.

Reactions: cosmickid
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT