ADVERTISEMENT

They are getting a little nervous in Ohio.

Yes this is a special year for IUFB with the transfers that have come in and our returning injured players that missed 2020. If teams aren't ready for this year's Hoosiers they will be looking back wondering what happened. I think OSU coming to Bloomington could be a major win for the Hoosiers. I could see us coming in 6-0, it will be tough to get to the game 6-0, and get after OSU to get to 7-0.

It is interesting OSU is changing to IU's 4-2-5 defense this season.

Last edited:
Yes this is a special year for IUFB with the transfers that have come in and our returning injured players that missed 2020. If teams aren't ready for this year's Hoosiers they will be looking back wondering what happened. I think OSU coming to Bloomington could be a major win for the Hoosiers. I could see us coming in 6-0, it will be tough to get to the game 6-0, and get after OSU to get to 7-0.

It is interesting OSU is changing to IU's 4-2-5 defense this season.

Most amazing thing to me is that we might start transfers from FSU, Michigan, Ole Miss, USC & Auburn.

The schedule is very tough. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to play Cincinnati? Another screw-up by Surfboard Fred.

Reactions: BayernFan
It was scheduled in 2014. I bet Fred was hoping Tommy Tuberville would still be coach instead of being just another Shitty Southern Senator.
Well from 11-14 they were 38-14, so they were solid at the time. It was starting the next year that they several year dip happened. Regardless, I think they may be asking themselves the same thing! I will guarantee they did not expect IU to come in to this one a potentially top 10 team in the country when they scheduled it!

When you play in the Big Ten East you have to schedule three creampuffs in the non-conference unless you have built a consistently winning program that can routinely beat good teams. 2021 is a crucial season and a step back to even 7-5 could stall some momentum.

When you play in the Big Ten East you have to schedule three creampuffs in the non-conference unless you have built a consistently winning program that can routinely beat good teams. 2021 is a crucial season and a step back to even 7-5 could stall some momentum.
I'm 99% with you. The 1% disagreement is I think it matters who's in the 7 & who's in the 5 in that scenario.

If the 7 are, Idaho, Cinci, WKU, PSU, OSU, UM, & Purdue and the 5 are Iowa, MSU, MD, MINN, & Rutgers, I don't think that would be a momentum staller. It would certainly be an underachievement, but the marquee wins would be there to maintain momentum.

If the 7 are Idaho, WKU, Rtugers, MD, MSU, & Minn and the 5 are Iowa, Cinci, PSU, OSU, & UM, then it would be a disappointment because they lost to all the "good" teams on the schedule.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I have been a fan for a long time, with eternal optimism. For me, the reality of how hard it is to be bowl eligible is difficult to overcome. Selfishly I would take three non conference cupcakes every year.

Glad to see your back with your typical negativity. Really keeps the rest of us grounded

The schedule is very tough. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to play Cincinnati? Another screw-up by Surfboard Fred.
I think it is great timing with the team we have this year. This team could turn out to be special. This is good year to have a tough schedule. also, Allen has stated he doesn’t want to play three cupcakes each year. So it won’t change going forward.

I don't want cupcakes but 3 games like Ball State level of teams.

1 lower level school,

1 mid major,

1 major OOC..

1 lower level school,

1 mid major,

1 major OOC..
I think that’s a good compromise. If the Hoosiers have to schedule three very weak teams to have any chance of getting into a bowl game it’s a good indication that they are going to get their ass kicked in the postseason. You have to be able to play competitive football every Saturday if you have a respectable program.

Last edited:
Well, in Fred's defense, Cincy wasn't nearly this good when the game was scheduled.

Neither was IU this good when scheduled.

It's a good series. Close enough for traveling fans, and as it has turned out between two programs on the rise. I'm convinced Fred banged @IUgradman 's girlfriend back in the day.

Yes they were.

They were 9-4 the year we scheduled them and got crushed by every power 5 team they played that year. The following year, they went 7-6.

They weren't juggernauts that we should be afraid of. They weren't on any of the top Big 10 teams levels.

This wasn't a bad team to schedule. They weren't as good as they are now.

If we’re going to be a top 10-15 program, we shouldn’t be whining about playing at least one good non con game. The other two are Idaho and WKU. The Cincy game will sell out and be on national tv. A positive for the program.

Having us playing Western Kentucky at Their Place with a tuneup game and an early bye week to get ready for us bothers me more than the Cinci game...

That type of setup should Never be allowed to happen with an Out of Conference game...

I think we'll beat them but if we don't it'll be because we went out of our way to allow them a competitive edge ((and that's foolish))...

Neither was IU this good when scheduled.
Then we shouldn't be whining about...anyone coming in to Bloomington. Do you think the perennial top teams would be pissed about seeing another top 10 team coming into their stadium in the non conference season? They'd view it as a chance to move up in the polls & improve their shot at the CFP. Act like we're a top 10 team for goodness sakes.

Then we shouldn't be whining about...anyone coming in to Bloomington. Do you think the perennial top teams would be pissed about seeing another top 10 team coming into their stadium in the non conference season? They'd view it as a chance to move up in the polls & improve their shot at the CFP. Act like we're a top 10 team for goodness sakes.
Read with more comprehension for goodness sakes as I said when it was scheduled. I have no problem with IU playing Cincinnati and I hope the stadium is full on national tv. I want IU to beat Cincinnati and show the nation how good IUFB is. Let Penix our receivers, RBs, and OL along with our outstanding defense is to whip them

Read with more comprehension for goodness sakes as I said when it was scheduled. I have no problem with IU playing Cincinnati and I hope the stadium is full on national tv. I want IU to beat Cincinnati and show the nation how good IUFB is. Let Penix our receivers, RBs, and OL along with our outstanding defense is to whip them
That was a generalization--not directed at YOU specifically because your post could have had 2 different connotations, but regardless of which connotation you intended, my reply was to EVERYONE--all of us as the fan base. If we want to be a top 10 team--which I'm assuming we all do--then we can't be pissing & moaning about Cinci-friigin'-natti coming to the rock. We have to stop thinking about how scheduling a tough game could cost us if we lose it & start thinking about how winning that game can help us if we win it. It's all about a winning attitude & expectations. Being ticked about that game being scheduled is the old IUFB mindset.

Last edited:

The same "Surfboard Fred" that hired Coach Allen? What a screw-up. He should have just scheduled three OOC games with the Southeastern, Midwestern, Pacific Coast Frontage Road Conference. 3-0 - but not any better.

With the unbalanced, 9 game B1G schedule we have 5 home games one year and 4 the next year. The years we play 4 B1G home games we MUST schedule 3 home OOC games. I prefer 3 home OOC games every year, but could live with one road or neutral site game the year we play 5 B1G home games.

That was a generalization--not directed at YOU specifically because your post could have had 2 different connotations, but regardless of which connotation you intended, my reply was to EVERYONE--all of us as the fan base. If we want to be a top 10 team--which I'm assuming we all do--then we can't be pissing & moaning about Cinci-friigin'-natti coming to the rock. We have to stop thinking about how scheduling a tough game could cost us if we lose it & start thinking about how winning that game can help us if we win it. It's all about a winning attitude & expectations. Being ticked about that game being scheduled is the old IUFB mindset.
The old mind set about IUFB is hard to overcome for some people and you see it in many posters on this board. They have had their hearts broken too many times by IUFB and don't realize this team and these players are different. I am not saying IU is so good we can expect 10 wins every season but with this crew it isn't out of the question to expect that.

With the unbalanced, 9 game B1G schedule we have 5 home games one year and 4 the next year. The years we play 4 B1G home games we MUST schedule 3 home OOC games. I prefer 3 home OOC games every year, but could live with one road or neutral site game the year we play 5 B1G home games.
That's what I was going to say too. We should never play 6 road games in a season, that much I will say about our schedule(s).

The old mind set about IUFB is hard to overcome for some people and you see it in many posters on this board. They have had their hearts broken too many times by IUFB and don't realize this team and these players are different. I am not saying IU is so good we can expect 10 wins every season but with this crew it isn't out of the question to expect that.

I've lost count of all the close losses and disappointment we have seen. Hard to get our hopes up.

The supposedly missed field goal against duke, the michigan player getting an interception when both players came down with it, ball state beating us on a last second kick return/fg, 4 and out against PSU at the 1 yard line....etc

ADVERTISEMENT