ADVERTISEMENT

There's a bit of excitement for Indiana Football...

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
I took my son to play golf yesterday at Mineral Mounds. It is a very nice state park golf course here in Western Kentucky. As I unloaded my Indiana golf bag, there was a young couple finishing their round loading up their bags. He commented that they just graduated from IU and that they were going to several football games this fall. Two more people approached me to discuss my Indiana golf bag and the upcoming football season.

I was blown away...The second guy to approach me was a former Western Kentucky player and retired high school coach here in Kentucky. He flat out told me that Mallory was the best coach Indiana had until Tom Allen. It was exciting to run into these people with so much excitement for the season.

BTW, my son beat me with a 39. I shot 41. He's too young to be beating me!!

I took my son to play golf yesterday at Mineral Mounds. It is a very nice state park golf course here in Western Kentucky. As I unloaded my Indiana golf bag, there was a young couple finishing their round loading up their bags. He commented that they just graduated from IU and that they were going to several football games this fall. Two more people approached me to discuss my Indiana golf bag and the upcoming football season.

I was blown away...The second guy to approach me was a former Western Kentucky player and retired high school coach here in Kentucky. He flat out told me that Mallory was the best coach Indiana had until Tom Allen. It was exciting to run into these people with so much excitement for the season.

Do they still mark the tee boxes down there with a burned couch?

I kid.....

We all have reasons to be excited for this upcoming season and I can't wait to see how IUFB does in 2021. I am not ready to concede any wins no matter who IU plays and expect the team doesn't either.

Five weeks from today it will be time to kick some Hawkeye ass.

I work in western Kentucky. That’s a fun area. Eddyville. The buzz is real.

I assume our game there will be a sell out

Western has a bunch of portal guys, but they ran out of Petrino recruits and we should handle them if we are what I think we are.

I hope the students are fired up about football and come in droves to the games and stay till the end of the games. Quit being party animals and stay for the second half then party for the wins.
The last time the students saw the second half of a game
was back in the 60's. Hello John Pont.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The last time the students saw the second half of a game
was back in the 60's. Hello John Pont.

Class of 1986. I left one football game early in 4 years: a truly boring game against Wisconsin. The crowd erupted for an IU TD while I was just passing Assembly Hall. I vowed never to leave a game again.

Not all students stayed the entire game in my four years but most did.

Class of 1986. I left one football game early in 4 years: a truly boring game against Wisconsin. The crowd erupted for an IU TD while I was just passing Assembly Hall. I vowed never to leave a game again.

In 1984 IU was 0-11 and most students stayed for most of the game? I’m a little skeptical of that statement?

Reactions: mobilehoosier
‘84 season, despite going 0-11, only 3 blowouts vs UK, at OSU and at the dome vs the Illini (which was 10-7 at half).

Home games vs Wisky, Iowa and UM Were all 1 possession losses and exciting. My group certainly stayed. Against UM, was the first time I heard of the “inadvertent whistle” call. Of course it benefited UM… it was a UM fumble that IU recovered, so nope, stayed with UM deep in their own territory. Lost 14-6.

Iowa came in top 5 or 10. IU down 4 or 5, late iirc. Last drive ended up inside the Iowa 5 when time ran out.

In 1984 IU was 0-11 and most students stayed for most of the game? I’m a little skeptical of that statement?
1984 was my senior year and yes people stayed. What's changed? In 1984, there were no hassles in the stands unless a fight started i.e. you could party in the stands and nobody cared unless you impacted someone else. If you impacted someone you were out. (I went to a game several years after I graduated and my old roommate got his 1/2 pint taken and we had to talk fast so he didn't get removed. (No fun). Students stay in the tailgate because it's safer and they have freedom. Been to many SEC games. Old school rules. Don't hurt anyone and you can do what you want. Sorry for long response but this thread struck a nerve. We did this to ourselves over years of ridiculous rules. If you want a church experience then go to church. I'm a person of faith so don't start the BS. Just saying we took the fun out of memorial stadium years ago. Go Hoosiers!

Maybe you weren’t directing that at me???? all I said was skeptical of great crowds in 1984.
Fan 89: My reference to "don't start the BS" was in reference to the church analogy I used. Didn't want the thread to get hijacked because I used a church reference.
Not directed at you at all. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for calling me out.
Mobile.

Class of 90 and I can say the same about students staying.

I think the students have gotten a bum rap about leaving early as it is clear looking at game footage most of the adult fans left with a core of student fans still at the game. IU just needs more students to come to the games as they lend excitement and cheering to the game.

I think the students have gotten a bum rap about leaving early as it is clear looking at game footage most of the adult fans left with a core of student fans still at the game. IU just needs more students to come to the games as they lend excitement and cheering to the game.
I think you're right. I don't get to go to many games, but what I've seen is that the students stay to same degree as the general public. Which isn't that great. The biggest problem is getting them to come in the first place.

I think you're right. I don't get to go to many games, but what I've seen is that the students stay to same degree as the general public. Which isn't that great. The biggest problem is getting them to come in the first place.
I don't have any room to talk as I haven't been to a football game for quite a while, but I sure hope this season reverses that trend.

1984 was my senior year and yes people stayed. What's changed? In 1984, there were no hassles in the stands unless a fight started i.e. you could party in the stands and nobody cared unless you impacted someone else. If you impacted someone you were out. (I went to a game several years after I graduated and my old roommate got his 1/2 pint taken and we had to talk fast so he didn't get removed. (No fun). Students stay in the tailgate because it's safer and they have freedom. Been to many SEC games. Old school rules. Don't hurt anyone and you can do what you want. Sorry for long response but this thread struck a nerve. We did this to ourselves over years of ridiculous rules. If you want a church experience then go to church. I'm a person of faith so don't start the BS. Just saying we took the fun out of memorial stadium years ago. Go Hoosiers!
In 1984 we brought a case of beer in loaded in a sport bag every game. The stands were loosly full and as you say as long as you weren't screaming obscenities, throwing things or spilling stuff you were fine.

I remember my first away bucket game as a student. Rules about booze were much stricter at WL but the reverse was true for behavior. Vulgar chants and throwing stuff at the opponent's bench and fans was normal behavior and the students were worse.

Except for the bigger games they stream in late (especially the nooners) and about half of them leave at half another quarter by the end of the third.

Reactions: vesuvius13
If marching band put on a good show it would help keep fans in the seats until the second half started.
In my undergrad days in the late 1970's/early '80's my group of buddies were there for every home game and stayed until the very end unless we were getting blown out (iirc that rarely happened and yes, we did leave the 63-17 Nebraska national tv debacle early in hopes of getting drunk enough to forget it happened).

But I have to be objective before being critical of the students today. In my day, if you wanted to see the game at all, you had to go - IU games were never televised live. Games back then were closer to 3 hours in length, rather than 4 1/2 or 5, and you didn't endure constant down-time for tv timeouts and play reviews. There were 5 home games, all against quality or conference opponents, and they all started at the same time (can't remember if it was 1 or 2 o'clock). You could plan well in advance without worrying about making conflicting plans or the game being moved. As has been mentioned, you could bring your party into the stadium (we took full advantage).

In addition, we were diehard football fans. Most of us played in high school so it was more than just a social event for us. And there was nothing else going on Saturday afternoon to compete for our time or money ( and we didn't have much money for other things anyway). The experience for most students today is much different and there are a lot of alternatives, especially for kids who are only casual followers of football or sports in general.

As for the marching band, I didn't give a shit then or now. As a student, I was peeing or socializing during that time. As a sixty-+ year-old, I'm still peeing (sometimes twice) and casually listening. I'm not qualified to critique a band show. If I know and like the songs, I listen and enjoy. I can't imagine that 99% of the people at the game care that much about the band. Now if they were struttin' and steppin' like the HBC bands at the Circle City classic - that would hold my attention.

I
can tell you that it is not a free for all. You can be loud but you better behave.

You are correct. The crowds were a lot better than I thought. IU averaged ~ 40k that year for an 0-11 team.

I heard a couple of guys talking about the Cincinnati game outside a restaurant yesterday (Louisville area). Typically it’s UofL nonsense.

You are correct. The crowds were a lot better than I thought. IU averaged ~ 40k that year for an 0-11 team.

Going back to the start of the Corso years, it seems as though attendance has always been in the 30-40k average. The Mallory era probably had the best average attendance. Things went off the rails during the Cam Cameron through DiNardo years where averages fell into the mid to upper 20k range.
It seems as though it went back up to mid 30s-40k during Hoeppner, Lynch, Wilson, Allen years.
I was at Btown for the 86-88 seasons and attendance was generally very good, mid 40s to sellouts. We stayed for entire games and I never missed a home game. Most were noon kickoffs as we had no permanent lights yet. Portable light rigs were brought in for late afternoon, tv, home games. We generally had 8am screwdriver and donut pre-games with boda bags filled with tequila or whiskey for the stadium.
Getting attendance to the sellout or near sellout average has always been, imo, a consistency issue in terms of maintaining a competitive program. By competitive, I mean top 4 in conference or top 3 in our division. Do that for 10 years, with challenging for top in East occasionally, and it’ll be full.

I was there 02-06. Talk about the worst years to be on campus for football and basketball. During some of those DiNardo games there were definitely in the 15,000 range of people actually in the stands. It was SAD!

In my undergrad days in the late 1970's/early '80's my group of buddies were there for every home game and stayed until the very end unless we were getting blown out (iirc that rarely happened and yes, we did leave the 63-17 Nebraska national tv debacle early in hopes of getting drunk enough to forget it happened).

But I have to be objective before being critical of the students today. In my day, if you wanted to see the game at all, you had to go - IU games were never televised live. Games back then were closer to 3 hours in length, rather than 4 1/2 or 5, and you didn't endure constant down-time for tv timeouts and play reviews. There were 5 home games, all against quality or conference opponents, and they all started at the same time (can't remember if it was 1 or 2 o'clock). You could plan well in advance without worrying about making conflicting plans or the game being moved. As has been mentioned, you could bring your party into the stadium (we took full advantage).

In addition, we were diehard football fans. Most of us played in high school so it was more than just a social event for us. And there was nothing else going on Saturday afternoon to compete for our time or money ( and we didn't have much money for other things anyway). The experience for most students today is much different and there are a lot of alternatives, especially for kids who are only casual followers of football or sports in general.

As for the marching band, I didn't give a shit then or now. As a student, I was peeing or socializing during that time. As a sixty-+ year-old, I'm still peeing (sometimes twice) and casually listening. I'm not qualified to critique a band show. If I know and like the songs, I listen and enjoy. I can't imagine that 99% of the people at the game care that much about the band. Now if they were struttin' and steppin' like the HBC bands at the Circle City classic - that would hold my attention.
I heard an announcer once that knocked having bands perform at halftime. He said that they don't interrupt a concert halfway through to play a football game. It was probably a tongue-in-cheek statement, but I thought it was funny. My best friend, whose son was a band member, didn't appreciate that.

I was there 02-06. Talk about the worst years to be on campus for football and basketball. During some of those DiNardo games there were definitely in the 15,000 range of people actually in the stands. It was SAD!
I was there from 05-09 and think those years of basketball and football were as bad or worse than 02-06!

These kids now don’t know how good they have it, we’re entering a golden era of IU sports!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT