ADVERTISEMENT

There seems to be slight hope that some Big Ten teams will play football this year...

Reactions: vesuvius13
It appears that OSU AD Gene Smith is working with at least 5 other schools to cobble together a 10 game season.

We'll see where this goes.

... it's going to go to court if OSU and those "other" schools think they can play outside of their membership agreement with the B1G. Guaranteed, and it will cost them more than if they'd just gone along with the conference's decision in the first place.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
... it's going to go to court if OSU and those "other" schools they think they can play outside of their membership agreement with the B1G. Guaranteed, and it will cost them more than if they'd just gone along with the conference's decision in the first place.
If OSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin all push on this, maybe they lose in the short term, but what happens if this causes an irreparable rift between those schools and the league? The Big Ten isn't going to kill the golden geese.

If OSU, Michigan, MSU, Penn State, Nebraska, Iowa and Wisconsin all push on this, maybe they lose in the short term, but what happens if this causes an irreparable rift between those schools and the league? The Big Ten isn't going to kill the golden geese.
If they play each other, it's going to hurt MSU, who will go winless against those teams. And they know it. They are in no hurry to play football right now. Nebraska would get pounded also. The others would cannibalize themselves and the only one to come out of it looking good would be O$U.

I'd love it if the Big Ten said, ok, if you guys want to play, we'll put those 7 teams in one division. Then we'd see how serious they are about playing..

It ain't gonna happen anyway.

It appears that OSU AD Gene Smith is working with at least 5 other schools to cobble together a 10 game season.

ADs are working on all sorts of scenarios. But it's the school presidents that make the decisions. There's a ton of false rumors going around about a 10 game home and home with select teams with some saying IU and some saying IU isn't doing it. Basically it's all false rumors and hearsay. If the school presidents decide to meet again, then, and only then, would I get my hopes up for anything being born to exist. At this point, their decisions is final.

Holy Hell, this is a mess.

Of these two options, the January plan seems more likely. If that happens, the Presidents and the Comish could be forced into playing when they were just blowing smoke up everyone's ass by talking about a Spring season. Of course nothing really happens unless the SEC/Big 12/ACC make it through their season.

I personally think BTC Warren should be pressured to look for greener pastures, sooner rather than later He bungled this process badly, and is now damaged goods.

Of these two options, the January plan seems more likely. If that happens, the Presidents and the Comish could be forced into playing when they were just blowing smoke up everyone's ass by talking about a Spring season. Of course nothing really happens unless the SEC/Big 12/ACC make it through their season.

I personally think BTC Warren should be pressured to look for greener pastures, sooner rather than later He bungled this process badly, and is now damaged goods.
Agreed, Warren bungled this and needs to go. I wonder how Delaney would have handled this, who many did not like as commissioner, including myself.

[

I agree that this is a mess.

And as a previous poster mentioned, playing football this fall only really helps OSU, who was especially loaded and was poised to have one of the best teams in the country this year.

If they wait until January, their top NFL prospect players won't be on their roster.

ADs are working on all sorts of scenarios. But it's the school presidents that make the decisions. There's a ton of false rumors going around about a 10 game home and home with select teams with some saying IU and some saying IU isn't doing it. Basically it's all false rumors and hearsay. If the school presidents decide to meet again, then, and only then, would I get my hopes up for anything being born to exist. At this point, their decisions is final.

Yep - nothing happens without the University presidents signing off on it.

Given that Ohio's governor gave the go-ahead for all fall high school sports to continue as planned and the University of Cincinnati is planning on playing games, it would seem bizarre if OSU wasn't playing this fall.

Yep - nothing happens without the University presidents signing off on it.

Given that Ohio's governor gave the go-ahead for all fall high school sports to continue as planned and the University of Cincinnati is planning on playing games, it would seem bizarre if OSU wasn't playing this fall.
Indiana HSs are playing also. And daycares have been open the whole time.

And yet, colleges can't seem to handle it.

If they play each other, it's going to hurt MSU, who will go winless against those teams. And they know it. They are in no hurry to play football right now. Nebraska would get pounded also. The others would cannibalize themselves and the only one to come out of it looking good would be O$U.

I'd love it if the Big Ten said, ok, if you guys want to play, we'll put those 7 teams in one division. Then we'd see how serious they are about playing..

It ain't gonna happen anyway.
My guess is that the Big Ten is trying to toe the line of staying in control and not ticking off OSU, Michigan, Penn State, et al. They probably don't want to work with those schools and not give them ultimatums.

My guess is that the Big Ten is trying to toe the line of staying in control and not ticking off OSU, Michigan, Penn State, et al. They probably don't want to work with those schools and not give them ultimatums.
They're not doing a very good job of it.

[

I agree that this is a mess.

And as a previous poster mentioned, playing football this fall only really helps OSU, who was especially loaded and was poised to have one of the best teams in the country this year.

If they wait until January, their top NFL prospect players won't be on their roster.

Interesting........Gene Smith appears to be engaging in some self-preservation for himself and the U's President. He really wasn't ticked off immediately after the vote.

Just interested in what do you think he did wrong and what should he have done?

Seems like a LOT of problems are being caused by this pandemic when it comes to trying to normalize life. Just look at UNC and the grief they are getting.

Reactions: DANC and vesuvius13
If they do play I wouldn't wish any of the Buckeyes to get covid. But I would be okay if they all got herpes.

Reactions: jsenleo
... it's going to go to court if OSU and those "other" schools think they can play outside of their membership agreement with the B1G. Guaranteed, and it will cost them more than if they'd just gone along with the conference's decision in the first place.

Exactly, this BS that they are playing some rogue season is just that...BS

Lets work on January and Feb in LOS.

Reactions: TMFT

Seems like a LOT of problems are being caused by this pandemic when it comes to trying to normalize life. Just look at UNC and the grief they are getting.

Yeah, he was darned if he do and darned if he don't. There are pictures circulating around social media about the size of student "gatherings" that happened in Bloomington this weekend. I assume that is the same at all of these large state schools as well. Warren gets hammered right now because they are not playing and he would be getting hammered for playing when games are eventually cancelled because too many members of teams are positive for or exposed to COVID to play.

People talking up the SEC now, let's see how it goes when we get to the time to actually play games. They do not have these kids in the NBA bubble (see my comment above about the parties) and even with the bubble, the NBA had outbreaks.

The people that need taken to task are the University presidents who voted not to play publically and who are now doing behind the scenes stuff they are letting leak because they made an unpopular decision.

1. He didn't involve the players, coaches, and ADs in the decision. He should have at least sought their input. Not only did he not do that......he didn't even attempt to keep them informed as to the 'evidence' being used to make the decision.

2. He put out a playing schedule 6 days before he cancelled ("postponed") the season, with no significant developments in between. Any reasonable person would have concluded when they announced a schedule that they were seriously considering playing. He essentially wasted all the time and effort of all the players, coaches, and ADs involved with no intention (in my opinion) of ever playing. A lack of good faith, in my opinion. I would not buy a used car from any of them.

3. He made little or no effort to coordinate his decision making with the other conferences. If he was always leaning toward not playing, why not try to bring them over to your side? Or try to work out a plan to play after NYD, as they're looking at now. Why wasn't that done before the 'vote'? Why go out on a limb on your own, just to get the limb sawed off behind you? A potential $100M decision casually made, and never seriously defended, to this day.

4. He cancelled the season too soon. It was the consensus that the season was going to be delayed anyway......he could have and should have waited another couple of weeks to access developments with the virus, watch the research on the heart issue etc.

He will be fired before long. Horrible choice for that job. Wait for the outcry if he is caught attending one of his sons games.
1. He didn't involve the players, coaches, and ADs in the decision. He should have at least sought their input. Not only did he not do that......he didn't even attempt to keep them informed as to the 'evidence' being used to make the decision.

2. He put out a playing schedule 6 days before he cancelled ("postponed") the season, with no significant developments in between. Any reasonable person would have concluded when they announced a schedule that they were seriously considering playing. He essentially wasted all the time and effort of all the players, coaches, and ADs involved with no intention (in my opinion) of ever playing. A lack of good faith, in my opinion. I would not buy a used car from any of them.

3. He made little or no effort to coordinate his decision making with the other conferences. If he was always leaning toward not playing, why not try to bring them over to your side? Or try to work out a plan to play after NYD, as they're looking at now. Why wasn't that done before the 'vote'? Why go out on a limb on your own, just to get the limb sawed off behind you? A potential $100M decision casually made, and never seriously defended, to this day.

4. He cancelled the season too soon. It was the consensus that the season was going to be delayed anyway......he could have and should have waited another couple of weeks to access developments with the virus, watch the research on the heart issue etc.

Excellent post sir!

How does this work? If the B10 does not play any games and seniors or even underclassman are granted an extra year of eligibility but the SEC, ACC, B12 play games this year. Does that mean that the B10 and Pac12 would have a lot more players on roster that would be eligible in 2021 and beyond as opposed to the SEC, etc.?

How does this work? If the B10 does not play any games and seniors or even underclassman are granted an extra year of eligibility but the SEC, ACC, B12 play games this year. Does that mean that the B10 and Pac12 would have a lot more players on roster that would be eligible in 2021 and beyond as opposed to the SEC, etc.?
I suppose, if you play this Fall, you don't get another year of eligibility.

So, for the Big Ten and PAC12, their players would get another year of eligibility.

It's a cluster.

I look for the schools that take football seriously and are not overrun with the bespectacled, academia Myles Brand clones to do what they are going to do and the Big Ten conference won’t do a thing about it. OSU and Penn State could tell the Big Ten to go pound sand and.....the Big Ten will cower in fear. The conference doesn’t control them one iota.
I would actually love to see it. The conference has no balls regardless and would never think of dictating anything to institutions that are their cash cows. Warren is a disaster. Delaney is suntanning his cheeks on his yacht with the golden parachute they gave him. That guy was crooked.

Anyway....this whole cancellation / postponement thing is a debacle. They are playing other sports. The football programs are perhaps the safest place to be for young people. They say it’s safer out in the general population? Pffftttt.
When McRobbie is going to host a big event with lots of people and Warren starts attending his son’s games, we’ll see how hypocritical this whole thing was. All of this sh@& is purely for optics. If it affects them.....well.....now....hold up....now, just wait a minute here.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC

Yes, most likely and it will hurt the B1G in recruiting. If the other conferences do not play it will have minimal impact IMO.

Reactions: red hornet
I look for the schools that take football seriously and are not overrun with the bespectacled, academia Myles Brand clones to do what they are going to do and the Big Ten conference won’t do a thing about it. OSU and Penn State could tell the Big Ten to go pound sand and.....the Big Ten will cower in fear. The conference doesn’t control them one iota.
I would actually love to see it. The conference has no balls regardless and would never think of dictating anything to institutions that are their cash cows. Warren is a disaster. Delaney is suntanning his cheeks on his yacht with the golden parachute they gave him. That guy was crooked.

Anyway....this whole cancellation / postponement thing is a debacle. They are playing other sports. The football programs are perhaps the safest place to be for young people. They say it’s safer out in the general population? Pffftttt.
When McRobbie is going to host a big event with lots of people and Warren starts attending his son’s games, we’ll see how hypocritical this whole thing was. All of this sh@& is purely for optics. If it affects them.....well.....now....hold up....now, just wait a minute here.
IMO you've alluded to one part of this drama that went largely unnoticed but I thought was very revealing: when it looked like push would come to shove, 6 "have" B1G 10 football programs were apparently willing to ditch the other 8 comparatively "have-not" football programs (and to an extent the whole conference in the bargain) in an effort to have some kind of season. Nice to know just how seriously those 6 schools actually take their conference affiliations with the other 8 'junior varsity" partners, at least in terms of football.

Part of me thinks, when the dust settles, this episode may turn out to be the impetus for the formation of a national "super conference" of the most successful P-5 schools telling their current conferences (and maybe the NCAA) "it's been swell, but we're outta here...."

That'll never happen. The 'haves' of the world would lose too many games.

They need the 'have nots' to beat.

If the 'haves' of the B1G would have wanted to play a schedule, they could have, but they didn't want to break up the conference. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying they wanted to have football.

if it were up to the Days and Harbaughs of the conference, I think they WOULD be playing football amongst the 6 schools--thought it was the univ. Presidents (with perhaps some gubernatorial input) who shut it down?

I agree that the Bamas and tOSUs would be reluctant to give up their annual wins over the Vandys and Rutgers of the world--but the TV money for a "super-conference" contract might be enough to overlook that. At least, it sounds like some of the coaches feel that way.

Players too (if they're not already too busy contacting lawyers and filling out transfer paperwork)

IMO you've alluded to one part of this drama that went largely unnoticed but I thought was very revealing: when it looked like push would come to shove, 6 "have" B1G 10 football programs were apparently willing to ditch the other 8 comparatively "have-not" football programs (and to an extent the whole conference in the bargain) in an effort to have some kind of season. Nice to know just how seriously those 6 schools actually take their conference affiliations with the other 8 'junior varsity" partners, at least in terms of football.

Part of me thinks, when the dust settles, this episode may turn out to be the impetus for the formation of a national "super conference" of the most successful P-5 schools telling their current conferences (and maybe the NCAA) "it's been swell, but we're outta here...."
We've been headed there for a long time now . . .

. . . do you think IU's program would be more respected with a more balanced schedule rather than having the murderers row of OSU, PSU and UM, and maybe MSU included in that bunch every year? Would fans be more or less likely to buy tickets if the schedule were to include Iowa State, GA Tech, Vandy, and Illinois instead?

Personally, I find this set stratification of programs to be stifling . . . that's why I've thoroughly enjoyed the tenures of CKW and CTA . . . there's been some upward movement for IU in that stratification. With IU no longer being bound to that stratification as a matter of conference policy, there just might be room for more upward movement nationally.

ADVERTISEMENT