ADVERTISEMENT

There better be basketball this year.

Cavanagh

Hall of Famer
Mar 1, 2012
The big ten might be the best it has ever been in my lifetime this year. MSU, ILL, Iowa, OSu, wisconsin, and us should be close to top 10 teams nationally. Ayo and Cockburn are gonna make ILL real tough. Garza back, Iowa gonna be hell.

I think Rutgers and MI will be 20-25 range! Lord, gonna be awesome if we can play this year.

Maybe we won't think "terrible", but I for one certainly won't be bragging to anyone about how good we are. At this point, 6th place would be a major improvement for this current coaching staff and team. Yes I have lowered my standards for IU. If I want to have any amount of satisfaction with Indiana basketball I've learned to lower my expectations.......and yes, I'm old.

It will be like other years where the B1G teams beat the crap out of each other and the NCAA tournament refs will call ticy tac fouls. Teams like UK and Gonzaga will bitch their way to the finals.

Reactions: IU73
I will bet you we are ranked in the top 15 in the AP multiple times this year if there is a season. 15 is close to 10 ya? 2 weeks or more? How much

im not going to bet against it, I highly doubt it’ll happen but won’t bet against IU

NBC Sports College basketball rankings
#7 Iowa
#9 Illinois
#12 Wisconsin
#15 Michigan state
#20 Rutgers
#21 Michigan

JUST MISSED THE PRESEASON TOP 25
Ohio State
Indiana

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/08/02/2020-2021-college-basketball-preseason-top-25/

UPDATED CBS Sports College basketball rankings
#5 Iowa
#6 Illinois
#10 Wisconsin
#11 Michigan state
#17 Ohio State
#21 Rutgers
#23 Indiana

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-after-xavier-tillman-stays-in-the-nba-draft/

Problem is: Too many of our fans won't accept anything less than a F4. Even B10 champions wouldn't matter to some people. Heck, anything short of a national championship, and I guarantee there will be a large amount of people bitching and trying to get Archie fired. The problem with this is: Our program has mostly been in the decline since ~94. After 26 years of mostly being in decline, expecting the same results Knight had (until the last couple decades of his career) is ridiculous without giving a chance to rebuild. With our fan base added to the equation, Archie has done a magnificent job of rebuilding. We went from 2-3 B10 level players on the entire team to where we are now. I won't ever get the negativity based on what he took over.

Maybe we won't think "terrible", but I for one certainly won't be bragging to anyone about how good we are. At this point, 6th place would be a major improvement for this current coaching staff and team. Yes I have lowered my standards for IU. If I want to have any amount of satisfaction with Indiana basketball I've learned to lower my expectations.......and yes, I'm old.

Sometimes fans do have a better feel for the team than annalist.Face it we waste more time looking at our team than they have time too..
With that being said chemistry may be the only thing (basically ourselves) holding us back.
TJD was a man rebounding and scoring last year. We just got a point guard that can pass Jason Kidd like when we already have experience at that position.TJD has the hands to catch those type passes so if it all blends together, then yes IU will be hard to beat.
Probably being overlooked like the 8-0 unranked team that beat 8-0 #1 ranked UK.

ILL will be damn tough this season.

I'm still not completely sold on Illinois quite yet. I'm not sure how much better Cockburn and Ayo will be than they were last season and they still don't have a consistent shooter. They'll go as far as their freshmen and grad transfers can take them, which certainly could be very far if they all work out, but as we've seen a team's not always as good as they are on paper.

Definitely agree with the OP! I hope to God there is a season. (both IU & Illinois are set to be very good)

Man I hope so IU fans (Illini fan here) We are loaded. You guys are gonna be pretty damn good this coming season and for the fans' / & players' sake I sincerely hope there will be a season. It'd be criminal if there wasn't. Screw COVID-19!
I lived in Illinois for 10 yrs. I've always said that UI fans are very passionate. You guys always show up to games and root like crazy. As a sports fan I love it.

Andy Katz get the first edition of his 2020-21 rankings: Ill, Iowa, Wisc, MSU, RU, MU, IU are top 7

ADVERTISEMENT