ADVERTISEMENT

Theories on How to Defend the Option

Of course the best approach might well be just hitting on 4 or 5 deep balls early and gettiing ahead by 4 scores and then just running the ball ourselves and play keep away from their Offense.

Our two keys in every game we play from here on out are: Don't give the ball away and avoid the big penalties.

Limit the turnovers (I'll be doing push-ups right after I type this;)), and the big penalties and we've got a chance to be tough to beat, don't and we might completely unexpectedly lose out...

Last edited:
Reactions: RBB89
One other problem they present is that they play with a great deal of pride, which means that even if they are outmanned physically they'll be tough to break mentally.

I'd want at least a 35 point lead and a running game that's working before I got real comfortable about a sure W playing these guys (you don't want to pull a Texas A&M vs UCLA move)...

The Air Force vs MI game is a prime example of why you can't overlook an Option team. As I type this MI is only up by 3 midways thru the 3rd qtr. Now MI should still win it but I'm pretty sure most of those in the "Big House" expected a blow out, not a tight football game...

play a 4-4 with a safety in the box on the wide side of the field. Single safety high with corners playing man to man.

play a 4-4 with a safety in the box on the wide side of the field. Single safety high with corners playing man to man.

I haven't researched how often Tom Allen has faced an FCS/FBS Option offense in the past. I would imagine he's seen it at some point...

If we used your concept (4-4 w/Safety in the box) we could do it by utilizing our existing jumbo package (3 LB's rather than 2) and pull the Husky up. Should be interesting to see how TA chooses to defend it.

The concensus is that the best approach is to always stop the dive first and then take away the pitch man, thus forcing the QB into "conflict" (before he can do it to you) where you have slowed his decision tree reads and forced him into either making a bad decision or keeping the ball himself (in which case you [legeally] punish each time he tries to run it, preferably forcing a fumble or a panic pitch that turns into a free ball that we recover...

Stopping the option is more about discipline than brute strength or athletic ability. Those factors help, but to stop it you have stay home....stay in your lanes.....and really read/react well. I think our DL will handle their OL enough to keep them from penetrating us which will help the LBs in pursuit, but we have to trap them into pitches and not bite. Will be a challenge but we are so much better on D than the last time we faced options. I'm anticipating they will move the ball some as we adjust but we should be okay.

Turns out Tom Allen coached against the Flexbone when he was in the SEC, going up against both Navy and Georgia Tech (per his press conference).

After going up against the two best practictioners of that style offense he should have a better than average idea of how to defend against it. Should be an interesting matchup.

Stopping the option is more about discipline than brute strength or athletic ability. Those factors help, but to stop it you have stay home....stay in your lanes.....and really read/react well. I think our DL will handle their OL enough to keep them from penetrating us which will help the LBs in pursuit, but we have to trap them into pitches and not bite. Will be a challenge but we are so much better on D than the last time we faced options. I'm anticipating they will move the ball some as we adjust but we should be okay.
Discipline is what I was going to post. We played that the DE forced the QB to pitch the ball and the Outside Linebacker was responsible for the pitch man. Force the play laterally while pursuit and the sideline provided help to the linebacker. Be aware of over-pursuit that will allow a cutback lane. The other DE has to stay at home to be ready for a reverse or the RB to reverse field. The DBs still need to pay attention to any receivers running a pattern.

I played some DE. Hitting the QB on every play was more than punishment, fatigue on the QB, or making them pitch too quickly. The coach explained hitting the QB signals that he is out of the play and the focus is on the pitch man.

Discipline is what I was going to post. We played that the DE forced the QB to pitch the ball and the Outside Linebacker was responsible for the pitch man. Force the play laterally while pursuit and the sideline provided help to the linebacker. Be aware of over-pursuit that will allow a cutback lane. The other DE has to stay at home to be ready for a reverse or the RB to reverse field. The DBs still need to pay attention to any receivers running a pattern.

I played some DE. Hitting the QB on every play was more than punishment, fatigue on the QB, or making them pitch too quickly. The coach explained hitting the QB signals that he is out of the play and the focus is on the pitch man.

You are correct about hitting the QB on every play. It's a lot like boxing. Those body blows wear a guy down.

I'm very interested to see how we go about playing it and how we adjust to their adjustments.

The Option game can be the ultimate, "adjust on the fly" chess match when it comes to football. Could be a real test...

You are correct about hitting the QB on every play. It's a lot like boxing. Those body blows wear a guy down.

I'm very interested to see how we go about playing it and how we adjust to their adjustments.

The Option game can be the ultimate, "adjust on the fly" chess match when it comes to football. Could be a real test...
The "Husky" spot is going to make defending the option a bit easier in my opinion. I expect the LBs and Ball to have high tackle numbers and enjoy putting licks on people.

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT