ADVERTISEMENT

Their irritated at Rupps Rafters with Pat Forde for criticizing the Cal deal...

IUHoopster

Junior
Dec 21, 2001
Southern Indiana
Article by Pat Forde openly questioning UK's decision to give Cal a lifetime contract

https://sports.yahoo.com/kentucky-lifetime-contract-john-calipari-203240035.html

Citing Cal's pronouncements of

"So there are two views of the Decade of Calipari: the big picture that portrays excellence, and the trend picture that says things are less excellent than they used to be. Or, at the very least, things are no longer living up to hypeman Cal's proclamations.

Among the grandiose terms he has thrown out like red meat to the fan base:

"We don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball.""

"We don't move the needle, we ARE the needle."" ;"

"Gold standard of college athletics."" 15px;">"Gold standard of college athletics."

"The Kentucky Effect.""

Stephen A. was bashing the deal yesterday too. Was watching at lunch so only saw a bit of the closed-captioning. Gist of it was, when your job is performance, you should never have lifetime security. You never know. He could tail off, lose his edge, and you've given up your options if that happens.

Stephen A. was bashing the deal yesterday too. Was watching at lunch so only saw a bit of the closed-captioning. Gist of it was, when your job is performance, you should never have lifetime security. You never know. He could tail off, lose his edge, and you've given up your options if that happens.
I tend to agree. What clauses are in his contract if he starts to show signs of dementia or has a stroke (not saying that he is or wishing this upon him, just listing possibilities.) Must have at least some fitness clause in his contract to ensure he can perform his duties. Also, wonder if there is a morality clause (indicted for corruption, collusion, etc.) A lifetime contract is an interesting proposal in it's scope and how it is administered.

Article by Pat Forde openly questioning UK's decision to give Cal a lifetime contract

https://sports.yahoo.com/kentucky-lifetime-contract-john-calipari-203240035.html

Citing Cal's pronouncements of

"So there are two views of the Decade of Calipari: the big picture that portrays excellence, and the trend picture that says things are less excellent than they used to be. Or, at the very least, things are no longer living up to hypeman Cal's proclamations.

Among the grandiose terms he has thrown out like red meat to the fan base:

"We don't just play college basketball, we ARE college basketball.""

"We don't move the needle, we ARE the needle."" ;"

"Gold standard of college athletics."" 15px;">"Gold standard of college athletics."

"The Kentucky Effect.""
Probably a moot point anyway. Just don't feel Cal is a 'lifer' anywhere. He's got a great thing going at UK and he's been there 10 years. My guess he does another 3-4 and retires or moves into television.

Things will change when the one and doe players can go directly to the NBA. He will have to manage his roster and recruiting differently. I am sure he will adjust and develop a new way to avoid the rules legally, It will help him when Roy and Coach K retire. I agree with the person that could see him retire to be a TV studio person.

RMK had what I considered a lifetime contract. We kept him past the time he was in his prime and would have for years to come if he hadn't given Brand an excuse to fire him. I am sure Cal can be removed for getting in trouble or breaking a university rule. When it is time for him to go, they will have no trouble picking a violation that won't cause trouble with the NCAA.

Reactions: Lillyr66
UK is serious enough about winning that they’ll buy him out if they need to. This is more about publicity and recruiting than anything. Showing kids he’ll be there and not take the hot job opening of the day as is always rumored.

Showing kids he’ll be there and not take the hot job opening of the day as is always rumored.

Huh?

You think we need to fire Archie and woo the next coach in with big bucks - but then praise Calipari for “Showing kids he’ll be there”? Would this next coach of ours be “Showing kids he WON’T be there” by taking our money to come to Bloomington?

Have you ever heard of the word contradiction, CDK?

Reactions: MrBing
Huh?

You think we need to fire Archie and woo the next coach in with big bucks - but then praise Calipari for “Showing kids he’ll be there”? Would this next coach of ours be “Showing kids he WON’T be there” by taking our money to come to Bloomington?

Have you ever heard of the word contradiction, CDK?
It doesn’t do anything to show a bad coach will be there. In fact that works against you. Surely you’re not comparing Cal and Archie are you? Talk about night and day.

It doesn’t do anything to show a bad coach will be there. In fact that works against you. Surely you’re not comparing Cal and Archie are you? Talk about night and day.
Dude, you have REPEATEDLY said IU needs to make “major offers” with “big money” to show it serious about basketball. Have you not?

Yet when UCLA does exactly that, you praise Calipari for “showing the kids he’ll be there”. So if IU does the same (offer big bucks) to a major candidate, is the guy 1) an opportunists if he takes it, or 2) a jerk for leaving his current players behind?

Dude, you have REPEATEDLY said IU needs to make “major offers” with “big money” to show it serious about basketball. Have you not?

Yet when UCLA does exactly that, you praise Calipari for “showing the kids he’ll be there”. So if IU does the same (offer big bucks) to a major candidate, is the guy 1) an opportunists if he takes it, or 2) a jerk for leaving his current players behind?

Going by his posting habits, he's either senile and a dotard, or functionally mentally disabled.

There is no way this person doesn't have some type of brain or personality disorder..

Dude is seriously strange and jacked up..

I tend to agree. What clauses are in his contract if he starts to show signs of dementia or has a stroke (not saying that he is or wishing this upon him, just listing possibilities.) Must have at least some fitness clause in his contract to ensure he can perform his duties. Also, wonder if there is a morality clause (indicted for corruption, collusion, etc.) A lifetime contract is an interesting proposal in it's scope and how it is administered.
Morality clause....Kentucky....what is wrong with you?

Going by his posting habits, he's either senile and a dotard, or functionally mentally disabled.

There is no way this person doesn't have some type of brain or personality disorder..

Dude is seriously strange and jacked up..
You and taz are idiots. You are actually comparing uk’s situation to ours? Uk is a top 2-3 program so making a point that the coach is here to stay def helps. We are bottom third of our conference with no signs suggesting we’re gonna be any better in the next few years. When we get a good coach or Archie proves his worth, then making a point that we’re holding on to him is needed. Until then, a good coach is our number 1 priority. I really can’t believe this stuff has to be explained.

You and taz are idiots. You are actually comparing uk’s situation to ours? Uk is a top 2-3 program so making a point that the coach is here to stay def helps. We are bottom third of our conference with no signs suggesting we’re gonna be any better in the next few years. When we get a good coach or Archie proves his worth, then making a point that we’re holding on to him is needed. Until then, a good coach is our number 1 priority. I really can’t believe this stuff has to be explained.
wtf are you even talking about?

Are u fn retard?

Are u fn retard?
You must be.

The POINT was feepaw said “we have to make huge offers to an Elite coach”. Then he praises Cal for staying put.

So (follow along; I’ll try to type r e a l s l o w) IF Elite coaches (as feepaw believes Cal is) won’t leave their current gig because they’re “there for the kids”, just WHY would it make a damn bit of sense to make said HUGE offer to an Elite coach? Just to be turned down? And if we’re firing Archie after just two seasons (which feepaw wants), just which Elite coach is gonna leave where he is to come coach IU after seeing the previous coach pushed out after just two seasons?

I really can’t believe this stuff has to be explained.

Yet I still had to explain it to you. And you’re calling people “idiots” and “retards”. RIF

You must be.

The POINT was feepaw said “we have to make huge offers to an Elite coach”. Then he praises Cal for staying put.

So (follow along; I’ll try to type r e a l s l o w) IF Elite coaches (as feepaw believes Cal is) won’t leave their current gig because they’re “there for the kids”, just WHY would it make a damn bit of sense to make said HUGE offer to an Elite coach? Just to be turned down? And if we’re firing Archie after just two seasons (which feepaw wants), just which Elite coach is gonna leave where he is to come coach IU after seeing the previous coach pushed out after just two seasons?

Yet I still had to explain it to you. And you’re calling people “idiots” and “retards”. RIF
Hey it’s ok man. Some people get it and some don’t. I’d guess you were one of the people that didn’t want Crean fired after we lost to syr in sweet 16. Bottom line is we all just iu to be good. This forum is mostly just for pissing and moaning

Hey it’s ok man. Some people get it and some don’t. I’d guess you were one of the people that didn’t want Crean fired after we lost to syr in sweet 16. Bottom line is we all just iu to be good. This forum is mostly just for pissing and moaning
Hey, I want IU to be good, too.

No question this past season was FUBAR. How much should Archie take the blame? There were a lot of holes and a lot of injuries - yet, even with all the losses, they were 1 win in the BTT from going to the dance.

My biggest issue with Archie was holding Smith accountable, not benching him for poor play. But then who do you put in? Race was injured; Jake and Cliff weren’t ready. I would have said eff it and benched Smith anyways, but then again I’m not there every day and see what Moore and Forrester were giving in practice.

If this time next year IU hasn’t made the dance and we’ve struggled in the conference again, then you look to replace Miller. But after just 2 years with all the injuries you fire a guy? That was my point to feepaw - WHO is the Elite coach who is going to give up where he is to come to IU after watching Archie get shoved out 2 years in? I won’t guarantee you that Archie will get the job done - but doesn’t he at least get the chance to prove whether he can or can’t ?

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Hey, I want IU to be good, too.

No question this past season was FUBAR. How much should Archie take the blame? There were a lot of holes and a lot of injuries - yet, even with all the losses, they were 1 win in the BTT from going to the dance.

My biggest issue with Archie was holding Smith accountable, not benching him for poor play. But then who do you put in? Race was injured; Jake and Cliff weren’t ready. I would have said eff it and benched Smith anyways, but then again I’m not there every day and see what Moore and Forrester were giving in practice.

If this time next year IU hasn’t made the dance and we’ve struggled in the conference again, then you look to replace Miller. But after just 2 years with all the injuries you fire a guy? That was my point to feepaw - WHO is the Elite coach who is going to give up where he is to come to IU after watching Archie get shoved out 2 years in? I won’t guarantee you that Archie will get the job done - but doesn’t he at least get the chance to prove whether he can or can’t ?

ksteph = victor bear

They can still send him packing, just have to PAY more to send him packing. The fact of the matter is there are only a few really elite coaches (leaving out judgements of being dirty or a slimeball)….The rest are good coaches and on down.

If they want to get rid of him they will, just give Ashley Judd a call and cut the check.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT