ADVERTISEMENT

The wildcards of the Iowa game

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021
I really didn't want to create another thread to talk about the state of IUFB post Iowa, but I just keep seeing these crazy overreactions to the Iowa game, I felt I had to. You can agree or disagree with my thoughts, but I think some of the more experienced Hoosier FB fans are ready to write off IU because of the not so stellar history of this program, that's understandable, but not rational.

The Wildcards of the game: This category is all of the crazy events that led to the end result of the game, which are really skewing most people's opinions of how the game went. The first and most obvious wildcard were the two Pick Sixes thrown by Penix, I will stand by saying that first pick six was just a gift from god to Iowa, our DJ Matthews slips and Penix doesn't notice so he whips to Matthews, who tips it up, and into the waiting arms of a Hawkeye DB. This was the least of what impressed me about Iowa's defensive performance, but it obviously had a huge impact on the game. Frankly it wasn't even an impressive play by Iowa, the defender did not make a good read, there was not an excessive amount of pressure on Penix, a JV DB at your local High School could've made that play, yet it resulted in 7 points for Iowa.

The second one was an already jittery Penix, assuming Camron Buckley would run the correct route and throwing without really looking. I will give some credit to Riley Moss, I think a lot of corners would not have been aware enough to Pick that off, but either way Buckley runs the correct route and that's not an interception, and it's certainly not another 7 points for Iowa. Defensive Touchdowns are not something that even good defensive teams can count on and they make a huge difference when they occur. For frame of reference, IU's defense had a B1G leading 17 INT's and had 0 defensive touchdowns last year.

The Hawkeyes were also gifted 7 points after the refs decided not to review that 4th and 2, he was short of the line to gain enough said. So Iowa was gifted 21 points on a silver platter, they weren't really earned. After the second Pick 6, the game was never the same. Iowa stopped trying to score and just focused on running the clock out because of how big the lead was, so I don't want to go as far as to say Iowa only scores 13 points had those 3 plays gone our way, because Iowa's offense clearly let up, but I will say I think our offense would have put up more of a fight without those 3 plays.

Another wild circumstance is the fact that we didn't have crowds last year, so neither team has been in front of a crowd in two years. The crowd always has an impact, but there's no doubt they had more of an impact on this game than they do normally. Final wildcard, the fact that this was our QB's first game back from a major injury, Penix was clearly not as comfortable as he would've been if he had ended last year healthy, I was always nervous that we opened the year on the road against a ranked team given how IU ended last year, and it clearly didn't work in our favor. If we had flipped the dates for Idaho and Iowa, I think this offense puts up a much better fight, it would've eased them into their playbook and allowed Penix to get comfortable again.

Last edited:
I really didn't want to create another thread to talk about the state of IUFB post Iowa, but I just keep seeing these crazy overreactions to the Iowa game, I felt I had to. You can agree or disagree with my thoughts, but I think some of the more experienced Hoosier FB fans are ready to write off IU because of the not so stellar history of this program, that's understandable, but not rational.

The Wildcards of the game: This category is all of the crazy events that led to the end result of the game, which are really skewing most people's opinions of how the game went. The first and most obvious wildcard were the two Pick Sixes thrown by Penix, I will stand by saying that first pick six was just a gift from god to Iowa, our DJ Matthews slips and Penix doesn't notice so he whips to Matthews, who tips it up, and into the waiting arms of a Hawkeye DB. This was the least of what impressed me about Iowa's defensive performance, but it obviously had a huge impact on the game. Frankly it wasn't even an impressive play by Iowa, the defender did not make a good read, there was not an excessive amount of pressure on Penix, a JV DB at your local High School could've made that play, yet it resulted in 7 points for Iowa.

The second one was an already jittery Penix, assuming Camron Buckley would run the correct route and throwing without really looking. I will give some credit to Riley Moss, I think a lot of corners would not have been aware enough to Pick that off, but either way Buckley runs the correct route and that's not an interception, and it's certainly not another 7 points for Iowa. Defensive Touchdowns are not something that even good defensive teams can count on and they make a huge difference when they occur. For frame of reference, IU's defense had a B1G leading 17 INT's and had 0 defensive touchdowns last year.

The Hawkeyes were also gifted 7 points after the refs decided not to review that 4th and 2, he was short of the line to gain enough said. So Iowa was gifted 21 points on a silver platter, they weren't really earned. After the second Pick 6, the game was never the same. Iowa stopped trying to score and just focused on running the clock out because of how big the lead was, so I don't want to go as far as to say Iowa only scores 13 points had those 3 plays gone our way, because Iowa's offense clearly let up, but I will say I think our offense would have put up more of a fight without those 3 plays.

Another wild circumstance is the fact that we didn't have crowds last year, so neither team has been in front of a crowd in two years. The crowd always has an impact, but there's no doubt they had more of an impact on this game than they do normally. Final wildcard, the fact that this was our QB's first game back from a major injury, Penix was clearly not as comfortable as he would've been if he had ended last year healthy, I was always nervous that we opened the year on the road against a ranked team given how IU ended last year, and it clearly didn't work in our favor. If we had flipped the dates for Idaho and Iowa, I think this offense puts up a much better fight, it would've eased them into their playbook and allowed Penix to get comfortable again.
I think much of what's driving what you refer to as the "crazy overreactions" is that nobody saw this coming. Both teams were in the 15-20 grouping in the AP Poll, the Vegas line was just a few points, and the pundits felt it would be a dogfight with "advantage Iowa" only because of where the game was being played. No serious observer thought the game would be non-competitive.

As a result, there's a lot of emotion tied up with the surprising outcome. Also, while IU is known for a knowledgeable and sophisticated fan base when it comes to hoops, I'm not sure the same can be said about football. That, and trolls, may account for some of the bizarre (and dumb) commentary.

Other than the 56-yard TD run by Goodson, the D played well. They otherwise contained Goodson, and Petras couldn't do much through the air. That's very encouraging, particularly with a new DC in his first game. The O, on the other hand, played poorly. There are various theories as to why. I believe we have a proven quarterback who had a bad game and, as a few have mentioned, may not have been fully ready because of reduced prep time, conditioning, etc., stemming from his serious late-season injury and surgery in 2020. I also believe everything on offense begins and ends with the OL, and ours is not good. I don't know how you fix that in-season, other than giving some guys down the depth chart a shot. If it's a coaching issue, that won't make a difference. Would a move to a faster tempo make a difference, but is it too late to implement that? I don't know, but they need to come up with something before the Cincy game or it could be another scoring drought.

The next two weeks will be interesting and will give us a pretty good idea as to how the rest of the season will play out.

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
I agree, I originally broke down my thought on the O and D and said what you said, lol but my post was already long enough w/o the breakdown of the offense and defense so I just left the wildcards as that was what I thought was most important to share. The overreactions are crazy "Penix is a horrible QB and we are going 3-9 this year" like I am sorry but you've lost credibility when you say things like that.

I think most IU fans didn't take into account the home field advantage Iowa has in Kinnick. It gets very loud and like the OP said, no teams are used to that at this point in the season (you just cannot simulate it). That was a major factor IMO.

Iowa was hitting on all cylinders by the end of 2020 and had lots of guys back ... they would have destroyed Michigan and Missouri had those games not been cancelled. Iowa picked up where they left off, the D is pretty special, and will really clamp down on teams that cannot run well ... one dimensional pass happy teams don't put up very many points. You guys got to get the running game going more.

MP was obviously not 100% in terms of scrambling or straight running threat. That hurt. It would be a different game later in the year especially at a neutral site, but Iowa will actually get better as the year goes on too, so not sure IU would beat Iowa later either, but I think they would certainly play much better. Good luck the rest of the way.

Reactions: jlasson

Iowa 34-IU 6. We got rolled. If My aunt had balls, she‘d be my uncle.

Reactions: It Will Do
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT