ADVERTISEMENT

the white woman and the african american in central park

You can clearly hear him ask her to "stay away". It doesn't seem like he had any more interest in getting close to her than she had in having him close. He also says "thank you" as soon as she leashes her dog, and repeatedly tells her to "please call the police" every time she threatens to do so. The most ridiculous part is when she's talking fairly calmly to the 911 (really??) operator and then goes into her fake "help he's coming to hurt me" voice...

Sorry but I think she's about 95% to blame and clearly in the wrong. Why would leashing your dog be anything but the proper response to someone asking you to do so when that is what you are SUPPOSED to do? Had she simply done what she SHOULD HAVE done, he'd have said "thanks", she'd still have her job and her dog. You break the rules- you live with the consequences...
Then please, by all means, confront a woman in the woods next time and be sure to utter the phrase “I’m going to have to do what I have to do and you’re not gonna like it.”

Blame is a spectrum or a plot sequence. She is clearly responsible for most of the blame and starting the issue by being like lost dumb single dog owners I know who treat their dogs like children and don’t think the rules apply to him. But I think this went off the rails when he uttered that phrase which triggered her terrible and pathetic reaction.

But if you want all of the blame (or 95%) to be on her and that this guy did virtually nothing wrong including saying a phrase that would terrify many smaller people, then rock on Bruh.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Then please, by all means, confront a woman in the woods next time and be sure to utter the phrase “I’m going to have to do what I have to do and you’re not gonna like it.”

Blame is a spectrum or a plot sequence. She is clearly responsible for most of the blame and starting the issue by being like lost dumb single dog owners I know who treat their dogs like children and don’t think the rules apply to him. But I think this went off the rails when he uttered that phrase which triggered her terrible and pathetic reaction.

But if you want all of the blame (or 95%) to be on her and that this guy did virtually nothing wrong including saying a phrase that would terrify many smaller people, then rock on Bruh.

When he asked her to leash her dog (which she was Supposed to do) what did she say? The video starts with her in the distance, him asking her to leash her dog, and then her charging towards him because she doesn't want him filming her. Here's a news blast- if you don't want someone filming you while you engage in behavior that is prohibited, then don't engage in behavior that is prohibited.

He didn't make anything up- the signs are right there. I have no idea of the politics involved in internal Central Park dynamics, but IMO if you're standing in front of a sign that says ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED and someone asks you to leash your dog, then the only ACCEPTABLE behavior on your part is to LEASH your dog. There are plenty of other parts of CP where unleashed dogs are allowed. WTH wasn't she THERE?

Also this... Christian Cooper is a Harvard grad and senior biomedical editor at Health Science Communications, who also once worked as an editor for Marvel Comics.
So he’s pretty much an Ivy League educated nerd. If he had been an awkward looking white guy who looked like he belonged on the the Big Bang Theory I wonder how she would’ve reacted.

It is not a platitude, you want to make her more wrong than him, go ahead. Doesn't negate the fact that he was acting like a dick too. "He was less of a dick..." Ok, but his less of a dick role still played a part in escalating that situation.

And that is in no way to defend her. That lady is a caricature of the type of white liberal that I freaking despise. Guarantee she is the type to be on social media posting stuff about other people needing to check their "white privilege" while in real life she went right for the racial angle. Don't get it twisted, she sucks worse...but he still sucks. (As it relates to this one incident.)
So him asking her to abide by the rules put in place to protect others from dog bites is him being a dick and is equally at fault?

That's laughable at best ..

Maybe the people who made that rule are at fault since they made the rule?

*eyeroll*

It is not a platitude, you want to make her more wrong than him, go ahead. Doesn't negate the fact that he was acting like a dick too. "He was less of a dick..." Ok, but his less of a dick role still played a part in escalating that situation.

And that is in no way to defend her. That lady is a caricature of the type of white liberal that I freaking despise. Guarantee she is the type to be on social media posting stuff about other people needing to check their "white privilege" while in real life she went right for the racial angle. Don't get it twisted, she sucks worse...but he still sucks. (As it relates to this one incident.)
Again, this kind of attempt to use his relative dickishness to throw cover over the serious nature of what she did is what I'd like to avoid.

Except that is NOT what he said.

He said, according to his Facebook post,

"If you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

So it was in the nature of

If you insist on being rude to me, I will be forced to sink to your level.

That level was pulling out dog treats, which as I have said, was not a great idea.

But it makes you wonder just how often he has had run-ins with Karens of the world, to think of buying dog treats and bringing them with him. It shows that Karen-ness runs rampant

"If you're going to do what you want, I'm going to do what I want, but you're not going to like it."

That level was pulling out dog treats, which as I have said, was not a great idea.

But it makes you wonder just how often he has had run-ins with Karens of the world, to think of buying dog treats and bringing them with him. It shows that Karen-ness runs rampant
Forgive me for piling on the same point again, but I just can't help but underline this as bluntly as possible.

All this discussion over what he said, what he meant, how she might have taken it, what share of the "blame" he has (what exactly we're splitting up the blame for, it's not clear), all of that doesn't really matter.

The fact is, she took it to a very bad place when she did what she did, and what she did was only a viable strategy - i.e., the only reason she even thought to do it was - because we live in a society where it's generally accepted that a black man should be scared of having the police called to him on a false accusation.

That sad reality would remain, even if he had said to her, "Bitch, I'm three times your size in the middle of nowhere, I could rape you if I wanted to."

Of course it would be awful if he said that. Of course, carrying dog treats for exactly this situation, as he did, was kind of a dick move. Of course, he made a poor choice in selecting his words, even if he meant nothing threatening by them. Of course, she could have easily interpreted his words as menacing. All of that could be true, but none of it changes the fact that she threatened him with what she did, and then followed through on the threat, and what she did only happens in a society where that particular threat has some level of legitimacy behind it.

Last edited:
Reactions: outside shooter
When he asked her to leash her dog (which she was Supposed to do) what did she say? The video starts with her in the distance, him asking her to leash her dog, and then her charging towards him because she doesn't want him filming her. Here's a news blast- if you don't want someone filming you while you engage in behavior that is prohibited, then don't engage in behavior that is prohibited.

He didn't make anything up- the signs are right there. I have no idea of the politics involved in internal Central Park dynamics, but IMO if you're standing in front of a sign that says ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED and someone asks you to leash your dog, then the only ACCEPTABLE behavior on your part is to LEASH your dog. There are plenty of other parts of CP where unleashed dogs are allowed. WTH wasn't she THERE?
This is point less. You’re not even remotely trying to listen. IDGAF.

Forgive me for piling on the same point again, but I just can't help but underline this as bluntly as possible.

All this discussion over what he said, what he meant, how she might have taken it, what share of the "blame" he has (what exactly we're splitting up the blame for, it's not clear), all of that doesn't really matter.

The fact is, she took it to a very bad place when she did what she did, and what she did was only a viable strategy - i.e., the only reason she even thought to do it - was because we live in a society where it's generally accepted that a black man should be scared of having the police called to him on a false accusation.

That sad reality would remain, even if he had said to her, "Bitch, I'm three times your size in the middle of nowhere, I could rape you if I wanted to."

Of course it would be awful if he said that. Of course, carrying dog treats for exactly this situation, as he did, was kind of a dick move. Of course, he made a poor choice in selecting his words, even if he meant nothing threatening by them. Of course, she could have easily interpreted his words as menacing. All of that could be true, but none of it changes the fact that she threatened him with what she did, and then followed through on the threat, and what she did only happens in a society where that particular threat has some level of legitimacy behind it.
I mostly agree with everything you said here except if he overtly and sexually threatened her (in your theoretical example), pretty much anything she says from there on out gets a pass. None of you have been in the shoes of someone who has faced such realistic threats and you have no idea what would come out of your mouths.

I’m glad you are able to interpret what he said as meaning he was gonna turn into a big ol’ poopyhead and that in no way should she have perceived those words as a threat. Next time make sure you’re there to diffuse and interpret. Hopefully you can ride your mighty steed into the Ramble.

I mostly agree with everything you said here except if he overtly and sexually threatened her (in your theoretical example), pretty much anything she says from there on out gets a pass. None of you have been in the shoes of someone who has faced such realistic threats and you have no idea what would come out of your mouths.
That's fair. I wouldn't want to minimize the threat women are faced with every day simply for the fact they are women. If he had genuinely threatened her, I'd probably forgive anything she said, too, no matter how terrible. That said, as a matter of cold fact, it would still remain true that what she did is what it is, and only works because our society is what it is.

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT