ADVERTISEMENT

The way the tracks for hurricane Irma look,

some of the spaghetti computer models take it right over my house
http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/custom/storms/storm1_models.html
Do you have shutters?
windyupskirtfloral.jpg

Do you have shutters?
My house has about 15-20 windows and all are hurricane rated impact windows, except for the 3 big sliding doors leading out to the pool from various rooms and one in the garage. I just replaced the garage door with an impact door.

If it is a cat 5, I wonder whether those hurricane windows will hold up. I don't remember if they are rated 150 mph, 160, or 170. That high we are talking a ton of energy.

I have plywood for the sliders, 3 sheets for each, so I can get them up in about 2 hours. Sweaty job though. I am in Palm Beach Gardens. The consensus track is more towards you and even west, but some of the computer models still have it hugging the east coast, where I am.

You have shutters?

Reactions: largemouth
My house has about 15-20 windows and all are hurricane rated impact windows, except for the 3 big sliding doors leading out to the pool from various rooms and one in the garage. I just replaced the garage door with an impact door.

If it is a cat 5, I wonder whether those hurricane windows will hold up. I don't remember if they are rated 150 mph, 160, or 170. That high we are talking a ton of energy.

I have plywood for the sliders, 3 sheets for each, so I can get them up in about 2 hours. Sweaty job though. I am in Palm Beach Gardens. The consensus track is more towards you and even west, but some of the computer models still have it hugging the east coast, where I am.

You have shutters?
yes

I just booked my emergency get-away, in case it gets really bad. Hotels are booking up fast, pet-friendly hotels especially so. I tried to find one in southern Georgia but they are already booked up. the closest pet-friendly hotel room out of any projected path was near Macon GA, an 8 h drive when there is no traffic.

We're heading to Ft. Leonard Wood to visit our son. We booked a Hampton Inn in Birmingham for $99 plus tax.

I just booked my emergency get-away, in case it gets really bad. Hotels are booking up fast, pet-friendly hotels especially so. I tried to find one in southern Georgia but they are already booked up. the closest pet-friendly hotel room out of any projected path was near Macon GA, an 8 h drive when there is no traffic.

You're not bunking with Brady?

Reactions: HoosiersChamps
Here's where the eye wall will make landfall, hover for a few hours, then reverse course:

Screen-Shot-2017-09-05-at-5.59.46-PM.png

Last edited:
I'm in Boca and while we have a nice big house (that we bought from my mother-in-law a few years back). That idiot never thought to have shutters or impact resistant windows installed so this likely isn't going to go well.

She lives in a new place in Delray Beach so we're likely going to head there and wait this thing out.

Scary shit.

I'm in Boca and while we have a nice big house (that we bought from my mother-in-law a few years back). That idiot never thought to have shutters or impact resistant windows installed so this likely isn't going to go well.

She lives in a new place in Delray Beach so we're likely going to head there and wait this thing out.

Scary shit.
Praying for all you folks down there, the folks in Houston, and also the folks in the Northwest U.S.A who are dealing with terrible fires.

Reactions: plaxico80
Learned my aunt, 2 cousins, and two dogs left Naples in a Prius and spent Saturday night in Covington, Ga after 16 hours on the road. They are staying with other family north of Atlanta tonight. The Hampton treated them and some others escaping Florida to free pizzas last night and allowed their dogs to stay with them.

One cousin attends school down there and my aunt bought a house and moved down there. Other cousin works for my aunt's brother that stayed behind on Marcos Island with his fishing boat. They are waiting for a call to find out if their house has any damage and if my cousin has a jib to come back to. Best case they go back in a few days. Worst case, they return to Chicago.

Learned my aunt, 2 cousins, and two dogs left Naples in a Prius and spent Saturday night in Covington, Ga after 16 hours on the road. They are staying with other family north of Atlanta tonight. The Hampton treated them and some others escaping Florida to free pizzas last night and allowed their dogs to stay with them.

One cousin attends school down there and my aunt bought a house and moved down there. Other cousin works for my aunt's brother that stayed behind on Marcos Island with his fishing boat. They are waiting for a call to find out if their house has any damage and if my cousin has a jib to come back to. Best case they go back in a few days. Worst case, they return to Chicago.
Glad Irma got downgraded in strength. It wasn't as bad as some thought it would be. Of course you prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

I am just shocked how the storm was devastating for the entire state. We are seeing more images of the Keys and they are about what my worst fears were. Meanwhile, my aunt has minimal damage and will return home once they get power restored in Naples. They took a more direct hit than most places and can return home. Our best friend's niece lives on the east coast near Cape Canaveral and had 3 feet of water/sewage in her house. Their house is ruined.

ADVERTISEMENT