ADVERTISEMENT

The Volt

kingmanite

Freshman
Jun 5, 2012
I remember Dr Hoops told me I should buy a volt. I wonder what he thinks now? I am totally done with GM products. I even cut up their credit card. They screwed me once and they will not ever get the chance to do it again. To hell with them.

Reactions: Lucy01
I remember Dr Hoops told me I should buy a volt. I wonder what he thinks now? I am totally done with GM products. I even cut up their credit card. They screwed me once and they will not ever get the chance to do it again. To hell with them.

They screwed you how?

Plug in hybrids like the Volt were always seen as a temp bridge to fully electric vehicles. Now that battery tech has improved, and costs of batteries has fallen...the plug-in hybrid is going to pasture.

Why are you done with GM products?

My first car out of college was a 1986 Chevy Nova, which was actually a Toyota Corolla with minimal cosmetic differences. They later named it the Geo Prizm. Since then it's been Hondas.

The only American car I've even considered is the Volt, just because I like the idea of the engine only powering a generator. That scheme seems cleaner and simpler and has been used successfully on locomotives for a lot of decades. I suspect the Volt would have had the success it deserved if it hadn't been turned into a political football. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one if it suited my needs.

My needs now (and always) include the ability to drive as far as I want, and I don't agree that battery technology and infrastructure is anywhere near close to making that possible for an all-electric vehicles. Maybe in ten years, but I'm skeptical that any American automaker will have anything I'd be willing to buy. Meanwhile, I'm more concerned with AWD, so it's Subaru. Built in Indiana with Japanese quality standards.

I'm more annoyed by the disappearance of non-SUV/CUV vehicles in general. Ford already ditched everything but the Mustang. Looks like I'll have to buy a German car if I don't want some stupid mommy bus or redneck truck.

Hopefully I'll be dead before we're all relegated to soulless self-driving pods.

I'm more annoyed by the disappearance of non-SUV/CUV vehicles in general. Ford already ditched everything but the Mustang. Looks like I'll have to buy a German car if I don't want some stupid mommy bus or redneck truck.

Hopefully I'll be dead before we're all relegated to soulless self-driving pods.

They killed the wagons. I’d kill for cool wagon. Especially over a soulless crossover.

What I think now about what?

They killed the wagons. I’d kill for cool wagon. Especially over a soulless crossover.

Actually, there are still a few Wagons made. The Subaru Outback is officially a wagon. Volvo has a couple. VW has a SportWagon. Mercedes has the AMG S Wagon and an E Class Wagon. There's an Audi A4 Quattro Wagon. A BMW 3 Series Wagon. Wagons all over. They do tend to look like flattened CUV's as opposed to your old Chrysler Town and Country wagons, but they're still around.

Actually, there are still a few Wagons made. The Subaru Outback is officially a wagon. Volvo has a couple. VW has a SportWagon. Mercedes has the AMG S Wagon and an E Class Wagon. There's an Audi A4 Quattro Wagon. A BMW 3 Series Wagon. Wagons all over. They do tend to look like flattened CUV's as opposed to your old Chrysler Town and Country wagons, but they're still around.
Time for Jeep to bring back the Wagoneer.

I miss the Wagon Queen Family Truckster

luggage.gif

You think you hate it now, wait till you drive it!

They screwed you how?

Plug in hybrids like the Volt were always seen as a temp bridge to fully electric vehicles. Now that battery tech has improved, and costs of batteries has fallen...the plug-in hybrid is going to pasture.
I had been leasing GM products for many years. The last was an equinox. I always paid all the lease up front. I never kept any till full term of the lease. I traded most of the the time before the lease was up. ! year before with several miles left. I would receive a trade value of what I had left on the lease. I was going to buy a new equinox and was told that they would not give me the unused portion of the lease on a new one, I had one year and 15000 miles to go on the lease. I was pissed. I turned vehicle back in and went straight to honda and bought a new crv. When I turned in the leased vehicle the dealer examined it and found nothing wrong. 6 months later I received a bill for going over the vehicle for resale and was told I also needed to pay for having a new tail gate installed because of a dent, No dent was there when I turned it in. I told them I would not pay. They wrote it off. I also received that month a bill on my credit card for some church in California and also one in Texas. I did not pay it and discontinued the card. I have had nothing to do with government motors since. I love my Honda,

I had been leasing GM products for many years. The last was an equinox. I always paid all the lease up front. I never kept any till full term of the lease. I traded most of the the time before the lease was up. ! year before with several miles left. I would receive a trade value of what I had left on the lease. I was going to buy a new equinox and was told that they would not give me the unused portion of the lease on a new one, I had one year and 15000 miles to go on the lease. I was pissed. I turned vehicle back in and went straight to honda and bought a new crv. When I turned in the leased vehicle the dealer examined it and found nothing wrong. 6 months later I received a bill for going over the vehicle for resale and was told I also needed to pay for having a new tail gate installed because of a dent, No dent was there when I turned it in. I told them I would not pay. They wrote it off. I also received that month a bill on my credit card for some church in California and also one in Texas. I did not pay it and discontinued the card. I have had nothing to do with government motors since. I love my Honda,

I've driven two different Tahoes for about 10 years now. It's a remarkable vehicle for its intended uses. I can put skis, gear, and 4 skiers inside. Our tandem goes inside as do single bikes. It's 8,000 lb. towing capacity and integrated electric brakes managed our travel trailer with ease. It will carry 6 people--so long as two are small. The transfer case easily shifts from 2WD/AWD/4WD. I've hauled lumber, firewood and other stuff inside. It's comfortable on long road trips. It isn't so good on efficiency or jockeying around the supermarket parking lot, which is why we also have an urban pipsqueak. Sadly GM "soccer-mommed" the current generation of Tahoes. The 3rd seat is not removable so the cargo volume and interior dimensions have shrunk considerably. The new one will no longer carry bikes and a tandem without first removing some bike parts. So I extended the warranty on the old one and will keep it.

I don't know why American automoblles can't over come their poor reputation. The ones I have rented have been great rides. You can't find a more cushy ride than a Chevy Impala--unless it's a Buick or Caddy. I think the Volt technology has a place in the future, more than a typical hybrid. Too bad these vehicles will bite the dust.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT