ADVERTISEMENT

The value of a great pre game speech. A great thing or overrated?

Rotonda

Redshirt
Mar 15, 2014
Rotonda, Florida
I love the enthusiasm of Coach Allen and hope he has the success at IU that many of us want him to have. His forte includes his locker room pep talks which can fire up anybody. But I wonder if that fire disappears as soon as a player is hit in the game and realizes that the guy who hit him is bigger and stronger than he is and that he will be in for a long hard game. Yes, I don't know if NFL coaches go crazy in their pre game talks but I can't see many of them doing the fire and brimstone speech. During the game, NFL coaches have a much different sideline demeanor than guys like Allen. Perhaps in college football it is simply true that the team with the best players rarely lose and that the best pre game pep talk means very little in the end? In the NFL, with relatively even talent on every team, being calm and cool, not sky high, seems to work best. What do you think?

Reactions: BayernFan
I think that speeches rarely affect game play in any meaningful way. When they do, it's often because the coach has a singular ability to cultivate a psychological relationship with a team over time.... ala Coach Knight. Rah rah coaches like Allen and Crean rarely have this ability.

I think that speeches rarely affect game play in any meaningful way. When they do, it's often because the coach has a singular ability to cultivate a psychological relationship with a team over time.... ala Coach Knight. Rah rah coaches like Allen and Crean rarely have this ability.
Allen and Crean will not beat anyone with their intelligence or technical abilities. Not sure what a Rah Rah coach is or someone that cultivates psychological relationships. Knight was intelligent and a motivator. It's not rocket science.

Allen and Crean will not beat anyone with their intelligence or technical abilities. Not sure what a Rah Rah coach is or someone that cultivates psychological relationships. Knight was intelligent and a motivator. It's not rocket science.
Crean, yes. Allen, no. He was a very successful DC before becoming head coach and has made IU’s defense respectable to above average.

I think the pep talk only works in basketball when the head coach verbally kicks the butt of a superior player who is taking the inferior player for granted when that player gets into the zone. I don't think football players get into that same type of zone because the physical nature of football disallows it. Remember in basketball you pretty much have got to let the other team shoot. Different game entirely.

I think the pep talk only works in basketball when the head coach verbally kicks the butt of a superior player who is taking the inferior player for granted when that player gets into the zone. I don't think football players get into that same type of zone because the physical nature of football disallows it. Remember in basketball you pretty much have got to let the other team shoot. Different game entirely.
Don’t forget the golf pregame pep talk

So now CTA is a rah rah coach? Wasn’t he Big 10 coach of the year? Why do you have a negative attitude?

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
He’s a cheerleader. Not good at clock management. Not good at game management (see the last two bowl games). He’s an ok coach. Benefitted from a no crowd rump season. Just the facts.

Whether a locker Room Speech works or has any effect depends in large part as to whether the team buys into what the coach is doing and whether the Players buy into the system. If a coach tries to be a fiery Speech Giver when He isn't that personality type, it will backfire, and the Players will see Him as a phony. It also has different effect on players depending upon their personality. Some Players have trouble motivating themselves and a speech can light a fire under their butt. Some guys can motivate themselves without the theatrics and drama, and aren't affected by a speech.

Reactions: oldcougar77
Love TA but his speech's come across forced and rehearsed to me,not off the cuff.
Not sure how to explain it,like a speech in a movie is the best way I can explain it.

• Wow
Reactions: IUgradman
Love TA but his speech's come across forced and rehearsed to me,not off the cuff.
Not sure how to explain it,like a speech in a movie is the best way I can explain it.
Dumbest comment of the day award.
Like a movie based on true life events? A non fiction sports movie with actors portraying a real life coach?

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT