ADVERTISEMENT

The talent disparity in the Big Ten

Rotonda Jim

Benchwarmer
Sep 3, 2003
After watching Joe Burrow yesterday, it is inconceivable to me that Urban Meyer had him as the Buckeye third string QB but looking at what Barrett and Haskins did, I guess Meyer was right. What they are discussing in Ohio today is whether or not OSU will beat Rutgers by 100 points. Who knows. Yes, they are so much better than the rest of the Big Ten it is taking some of the fun out of the season. https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/11/will-ohio-state-football-beat-rutgers-by-100.html

Reactions: vesuvius13
Burrow did get injured to be replaced and thise QBs did play well. For him, the transfer portal was a good move for sure, as it has been for Fields too.

Maybe IU will get a few like that in the future? Or at least keep adding really good depth in recruiting for sure!

After watching Joe Burrow yesterday, it is inconceivable to me that Urban Meyer had him as the Buckeye third string QB but looking at what Barrett and Haskins did, I guess Meyer was right. What they are discussing in Ohio today is whether or not OSU will beat Rutgers by 100 points. Who knows. Yes, they are so much better than the rest of the Big Ten it is taking some of the fun out of the season. https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2019/11/will-ohio-state-football-beat-rutgers-by-100.html
Brandon Peters deserves a mention here, too, with his engineering of the comeback against MSU yesterday.

I can only imagine what guys like Peters and Tommy Stevens could have done at, and for, IU.

I've said it since we lost to Ohio State and it's worth mentioning again, but they appear to be a lower level NFL team. The Penn State team I watched yesterday against Minnesota, will lose by three or more touchdowns to Ohio St.

The million dollar question this morning is are they better than LSU? People are expecting LSU to be number one in the polls after defeating Bama in Tuscaloosa.

I've said it since we lost to Ohio State and it's worth mentioning again, but they appear to be a lower level NFL team. The Penn State team I watched yesterday against Minnesota, will lose by three or more touchdowns to Ohio St.

The million dollar question this morning is are they better than LSU? People are expecting LSU to be number one in the polls after defeating Bama in Tuscaloosa.

I think OSU is the best team in the nation. However, LSU has 4 wins against top 10 teams. That is impressive and worthy of #1 seed in my opinion. I was surprised at the amount of scoring in the LSU game. I think that may be the difference in the teams. Defenses

I think OSU is the best team in the nation. However, LSU has 4 wins against top 10 teams. That is impressive and worthy of #1 seed in my opinion. I was surprised at the amount of scoring in the LSU game. I think that may be the difference in the teams. Defenses
Here in the south we get a lot of BAMA games on TV . . . at home and every restaurant we visit . . . and to me the difference was Tua not being able to run. Burrow's running supplemented his passing game to a T, and Tua couldn't do that . . . after having done exactly that his whole career.

Here in the south we get a lot of BAMA games on TV . . . at home and every restaurant we visit . . . and to me the difference was Tua not being able to run. Burrow's running supplemented his passing game to a T, and Tua couldn't do that . . . after having done exactly that his whole career.
Sorry I was referring to the differences between LSU and OSU. I don’t think we know how good exactly OSU defense is. They haven’t been tested like LSU. My impression is that OSU defense is better than LSU’s... even though LSU defense gets a lot of hype. I agree about Tua..... with that said, it seemed like too many points given up by LSU.....

Sorry I was referring to the differences between LSU and OSU. I don’t think we know how good exactly OSU defense is. They haven’t been tested like LSU. My impression is that OSU defense is better than LSU’s... even though LSU defense gets a lot of hype. I agree about Tua..... with that said, it seemed like too many points given up by LSU.....
Those are astute observations. The thing is, LSU has beaten what most folks would acknowledge as one of the top 3 - if not the top - college football programs, and on that top program's home field where they had a 31 game win streak. So unless they stumble LSU deserves to be one of the 4 teams in the playoffs . . . as do OSU and BAMA, and likely Clemson.

Those are astute observations. The thing is, LSU has beaten what most folks would acknowledge as one of the top 3 - if not the top - college football programs, and on that top program's home field where they had a 31 game win streak. So unless they stumble LSU deserves to be one of the 4 teams in the playoffs . . . as do OSU and BAMA, and likely Clemson.

Why Alabama?

Reactions: evvcabinetman
Who has Alabama beat that warrants a one loss Bama team being the the playoffs?
No one. Guessing best win as of now would be Texas A M, and they are only 6-3, may be only team they have beat with a winning record--just looked them and Southern Miss only ones with a winning record if I can read correctly

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
So far such storied programs as Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi. Upcoming the always tough Western Carolina Catamounts.

And that Is how the pros schedule... (see Alabamas schedule above)....

The Alabama Athletic Department staff "knows" they'll be playing a big time schedule once they start playing "in conference" so they're smart enough to schedule low wear and tear "practice" games that are out of conference... In their case, they play one medium strength team (Duke) as a full speed tuneup...

Since we don't have multiple top three round draft picks 4 deep, we don't have the luxury of adding that type of team (and I think we've made a huge mistake by adding Louisville to our future schedules)...

Common Sense fellows...

It's Not about your personal entertainment...

The bottom line is Winning... If you don't believe me go visit the Minnesota site and see if you can find anyone on there complaining about who they played in their out of conference schedule...

Who has Alabama beat that warrants a one loss Bama team being the the playoffs?

Well, Bama has the challenging game against Western Carolina coming up. Their non conference schedule was awful for a top level program - Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. That's not good enough for a team without any quality wins hoping to make the playoffs. The deserve to get left out.

Well, Bama has the challenging game against Western Carolina coming up. Their non conference schedule was awful for a top level program - Duke, New Mexico State, Southern Mississippi, and Western Carolina. That's not good enough for a team without any quality wins hoping to make the playoffs. The deserve to get left out.

Couldn’t agree more. You’re freaking Alabama. You have FOUR non-conference games. Go play somebody.

Bama generally does schedule a marquee matchup for their OOC schedule (but after that its always an FCS team before the Auburn game and something like 2 Sun Belt teams).

Guessing some other game fell through, and the Duke game was more of a last minute add. That was then compounded by the SEC being a little down and not getting Florida or Georgia in divisional crossovers, creating a lack of quality opponents.

Bama generally does schedule a marquee matchup for their OOC schedule (but after that its always an FCS team before the Auburn game and something like 2 Sun Belt teams).

Guessing some other game fell through, and the Duke game was more of a last minute add. That was then compounded by the SEC being a little down and not getting Florida or Georgia in divisional crossovers, creating a lack of quality opponents.

Meh - that's the chance you take in putting together a cupcake non conference schedule IMO. It's not the rest of the country's fault Bama didn't have a single good opponent in the out of conference schedule and only has 2 games vs. good programs in conference. That "SEC is too tough" excuse doesn't work for them this year.

Meh - that's the chance you take in putting together a cupcake non conference schedule IMO. It's not the rest of the country's fault Bama didn't have a single good opponent in the out of conference schedule and only has 2 games vs. good programs in conference. That "SEC is too tough" excuse doesn't work for them this year.

Didn't mean to excuse Alabama's scheduling, just pointing out the confluence of events that made it weaker than normal, and why their scheduling strategy might finally come back to bite them when they have normally been able to get away with relatively weak scheduling

There needs to be some overhaul with scheduling. Three Power 5 conference’s play 9 games while the other two play 8. Using the excuse that the SEC is a grind week in and week out is played out. Scheduling a FCS school in November is garbage, yet it’s done every year in the “mighty” SEC. When you have one less chance of a loss there’s no doubt the chances of getting two teams in the playoffs multiply.

Alabama annually schedules two Sunbelt teams, one FCS team and occasionally a medium strength power five opponent. Their P-5 opponent this year was an early season matchup with Duke.

It seems to have worked well enough for them, yet we have regular posters on this very board BEGGING to play a loaded nonconference schedule for their own selfish reasons. It's as if playing three top ten Big Ten teams in October and November aren't good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT