ADVERTISEMENT

The stupidity of nine conference games.

Nov 26, 2007
This bowl season the B1G will send eight teams bowling, while both the SEC and ACC send 11 teams to bowls. In addition the B1G has missed the playoffs for the third straight time. That extra conference game results in an average of 0.5 more losses. For average teams that extra 0.5 loss plays a big role in making a bowl game or not. One can also argue that B1G teams are more beat up by playing that extra conference game.

There is an argument that the nine conference games brings in extra money for the conference. I do not know the actual money difference between having one extra conference game vs a non conference game, but I would doubt it would outweigh the financial loss of the missing the CFP and three bowl games.

In summary the nine conference game schedule is hurting the B1G chances in the CFP and in sending teams to bowl games. There is an argument that it generates extra money for the B1G, but IMO when the money lost due to missed bowl games and CFP appearances in included, it costs the B1G financially also. The nine conference game schedule hurts the conferences finances and its prestige. It is pure stupidity by the conference higher ups and must end.

This bowl season the B1G will send eight teams bowling, while both the SEC and ACC send 11 teams to bowls. In addition the B1G has missed the playoffs for the third straight time. That extra conference game results in an average of 0.5 more losses. For average teams that extra 0.5 loss plays a big role in making a bowl game or not. One can also argue that B1G teams are more beat up by playing that extra conference game.

There is an argument that the nine conference games brings in extra money for the conference. I do not know the actual money difference between having one extra conference game vs a non conference game, but I would doubt it would outweigh the financial loss of the missing the CFP and three bowl games.

In summary the nine conference game schedule is hurting the B1G chances in the CFP and in sending teams to bowl games. There is an argument that it generates extra money for the B1G, but IMO when the money lost due to missed bowl games and CFP appearances in included, it costs the B1G financially also. The nine conference game schedule hurts the conferences finances and its prestige. It is pure stupidity by the conference higher ups and must end.
You are absolutely correct there is no reason to play 9 conference games.

Reactions: Klaus 7196

Indiana and Maryland are probably both in Bowl Games if you take away one Big Ten game and replace it with a bottom dweller like the SEC does.

I agree and will go one step further. Get rid of the division crossover games that are scheduled by the conference altogether. We'd keep the bucket game and maybe try to have Illinois or Northwestern each year, but there is little interest in games like Minnesota and Iowa. I would rather see regional games against the likes of UK, UofL, Cincinnati, ND.

Spot on man. B1G leadership can be so myopic...like December conference games in basketball or moving up the basketball tournament...SMH.

Reactions: DANC
Spot on man. B1G leadership can be so myopic...like December conference games in basketball or moving up the basketball tournament...SMH.
i'm sure delaney takes his orders from the BTN. it must be advantageous to them in some way. i'm thinking $$$.

There is an argument that it generates extra money for the B1G, but IMO when the money lost due to missed bowl games

Probably not. Once you add the next bowl in the Big10 bowl contract list (“Heart of Dallas”?), the financial guarantee/payout for participation is more than offset by ticket requirements that won’t be met and the actual costs of flying, housing and feeding not just the football team, but the band as well.

Conference gate monies are pooled and shared on a weighted scale. Places like IU, Illinois, and Northwestern make money, while it costs Michigan, Ohio State and Penn Stafe (which is why those institutions have annual “personal seat donations” that are not part of the pool).

I am happy not to have the weak non-conference schedule. Not that it did IU any good.

Indiana and Maryland are probably both in Bowl Games if you take away one Big Ten game and replace it with a bottom dweller like the SEC does.

Probably in a bowl, but against a bottom dweller.

So essentially, IU would have traded the Iowa or Minnesota games to play 2 games against MAC teams = meh

Reactions: 82hoosier
Probably in a bowl, but against a bottom dweller.

So essentially, IU would have traded the Iowa or Minnesota games to play 2 games against MAC teams = meh

IU would have traded one game with Minnesota or Iowa for a game of our choice. When still trying to establish a program, you need to play in those bowl games. Would you trade places with Purdue right now? I would. Extra practice and showing that, while mediocre now, you are at least still on the positive side of the ledger.

If you ever got the program going you could maybe replace what is generally a "meh" game with a Minnesota with some other team of Indiana's choice.

As it is now, we are sitting at home and a team like Vanderbilt at 6-6 will go bowling with 3 of their wins being against Alabama A&M, Middle Tennessee, Nevada, and Tennessee St. (One of those must be an FCS that did not count).

I would rather be in a small bowl with all the extra practice that is allowed, then no bowl at all. The SEC has an advantage against all of the conferences playing 9 games because they are padding their win totals with crap games.

IU would have traded one game with Minnesota or Iowa for a game of our choice. When still trying to establish a program, you need to play in those bowl games. Would you trade places with Purdue right now? I would. Extra practice and showing that, while mediocre now, you are at least still on the positive side of the ledger.

If you ever got the program going you could maybe replace what is generally a "meh" game with a Minnesota with some other team of Indiana's choice.

As it is now, we are sitting at home and a team like Vanderbilt at 6-6 will go bowling with 3 of their wins being against Alabama A&M, Middle Tennessee, Nevada, and Tennessee St. (One of those must be an FCS that did not count).

I would rather be in a small bowl with all the extra practice that is allowed, then no bowl at all. The SEC has an advantage against all of the conferences playing 9 games because they are padding their win totals with crap games.
Very good post, but why do people not understand this?? It drives me nuts when I read things like, "well, we really are better off not going to such and such bowl because it's a small bowl and it might be cost prohibitive".

That attitude has been displayed around here on more than one occasion. To those people, I say you simply do not understand how college football really works.

I am content with the coaches focused on recruiting - especially with Dec 19 early signing period. Regarding practice - in IU’s two bowl they took the week off after the Purdue game and of course finals week is off.

How many people were at the Charlestown Southern game? I am guessing less that 5,000. I never wanted to watch watered-down football. And for what? Way too many bowl games.

I am content with the coaches focused on recruiting - especially with Dec 19 early signing period. Regarding practice - in IU’s two bowl they took the week off after the Purdue game and of course finals week is off.

How many people were at the Charlestown Southern game? I am guessing less that 5,000. I never wanted to watch watered-down football. And for what? Way too many bowl games.

Well not playing in bowl games has not worked out so hot for us in the past, a bowl game is saying that you had a moderately successful season. You can sell that to a recruit. We are building towards something or even just, we are maintaining and we are so close and you would help push us over the top.

Again, Purdue had a "mediocre" year and will be playing in a "mediocre" bowl, how do you think their recruiting pitch will match up with ours in the next year or so?

Well not playing in bowl games has not worked out so hot for us in the past, a bowl game is saying that you had a moderately successful season. You can sell that to a recruit. We are building towards something or even just, we are maintaining and we are so close and you would help push us over the top.

Again, Purdue had a "mediocre" year and will be playing in a "mediocre" bowl, how do you think their recruiting pitch will match up with ours in the next year or so?
I think their pitch will start with “we beat Iowa and Ohio State”

I think their pitch will start with “we beat Iowa and Ohio State”
I'm sure it actually might begin with "we beat Auburn in the Music City Bowl ". It's part of building a football program into one that wins 8, 9 or more games per year.

The kids deserve it, too. They work their butts off to make a bowl, it'd be nice for them. To the IU fans that talk about how awful it is to play a Nichols State in football, do you people have any idea how nauseating it is when IU basketball plays East Central Montana Grizzly Bears?? Talk about record padding, Jeezuz christ.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC

I can't tell if you're trolling or the problem.

I have been to several of our bowl games and I'll stomach a win against Nichols Srate to experience it again.

There is no way to balance the B1G schedules with 9 games...we could easily play the top 3 teams in the west next year and end up playing one of the toughest schedules in the country...while trying to just get 6 wins.

According to Sagarin the Hoosiers finished the season ranked 65 with the 19th toughest schedule. Purdue finished ranked 36 with the 7th toughest schedule. To get six wins IU will always need to have one or two quality wins within the division.

I'm kinda split on the scheduling question.

If....IF...we as a fanbase feel that the current divisions and schedule make it hard to get to that 6-6 bowl game.....then I say, make EVERY of our 12 games a bowl game. Maybe entice recruits by calling up Bama, Texas, USC, etc and offering to be "fodder" in a "one for two" exchange.

Get the Bourbon Barrel game back on #1.

Schedule legit heavyweights the other two games. Get recruits that way.

Would be awesome. :D

If....IF...we as a fanbase feel that the current divisions and schedule make it hard to get to that 6-6 bowl game.....then I say, make EVERY of our 12 games a bowl game. Maybe entice recruits by calling up Bama, Texas, USC, etc and offering to be "fodder" in a "one for two" exchange.

If we do that we need to just go independant like ND. :)

Why even have divisions if we play so many outside the division? A playoff? Fine, take the top 2 teams and have a playoff game.

This off-year scheduling of teams outside the division is horrible. One year we could get Nebraska and Wisconsin the same year Ohio State gets Illinois and Minnesota. It's not fair on many levels.

Why even have divisions if we play so many outside the division? A playoff? Fine, take the top 2 teams and have a playoff game.

This off-year scheduling of teams outside the division is horrible. One year we could get Nebraska and Wisconsin the same year Ohio State gets Illinois and Minnesota. It's not fair on many levels.

There is some randomness where we seem to always draw Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa when they're ranked (usually in the top 10)....but we did have Minny and Purdue this year...which looked good preseason. As it turned out, all of our West draws were bowl teams.

I'm certain you mean well but...

Here's Reality: we only played 3 teams that aren't Bowl teams this year, that's 9 Bowl teams.

One of those three teams that didn't go was Maryland (who almost beat Ohio State in OT)...

Playing a "tougher schedule" isn't a particularly good idea from my perspective...

Last edited:

Here's Reality: we only played 3 teams that aren't Bowl teams this year, that's 9 Bowl teams.

One of those three teams that didn't go was Maryland (who almost beat Ohio State in OT)...

Playing a "tougher schedule" isn't a particularly good idea from my perspective...

Why not?

That once a decade upset win at Austin in September would be a lot more memorable, and a lot cooler for the fans, than a win over Central Michigan in the Detroit Bowl.

Let's schedule our "bowl games" in September....and get paid for it. It'd be a national talking point...

"Let's take a look at Indiana's 2022 non conference. After opening at Notre Dame, they host Auburn, and then are on the road at Oregon before opening B10 play."

Who wouldn't love that? Play our bowl games at cool locales in September.

Reactions: 82hoosier

Hayden Fry would agree with you, as a matter
of fact he said pretty much that very thing when
he took over at Iowa.

Hayden did not have an AD that sold home games
or was more interested in the cash register
than touchdowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
Why not?

That once a decade upset win at Austin in September would be a lot more memorable, and a lot cooler for the fans, than a win over Central Michigan in the Detroit Bowl.

Let's schedule our "bowl games" in September....and get paid for it. It'd be a national talking point...

"Let's take a look at Indiana's 2022 non conference. After opening at Notre Dame, they host Auburn, and then are on the road at Oregon before opening B10 play."

Great idea... Let's get half our Team hurt after just 3 games and struggle to go 2-10 on the year.

Sorry, but that's a monumentally Bad idea...

Reactions: ESalum86 and td75
Why not?

i think you forgot the DWS.

Nah, just not a pussy.

And either are the kids on our team...every one of which would love to take on that schedule.
I appreciate the sentiment, but realistically do you think we could attract many quality players after a couple of 2-10 or 1-11 seasons with no prospect of making a bowl in their career here ? I'm thinking we would become a permanent doormat attractive only to kids who could not make a BCS roster anywhere else. I think I'd like to try a more conventional approach for a few more years.

I don't get real excited about games against Georgia Southern either, but I also don't get excited about seeing us get our ass kicked every week. I'm pretty sure I'd find other places to go on Saturday afternoons if we decided to permanently relegate ourselves to punching bags. I can live with wins over bad teams if it means some fun travel in December.

Reactions: 76-1
as one lie leads to another, to another, the complete idiocy of expansion has lead to another completely idiotic move, to another, to another.

Reactions: td75
I appreciate the sentiment, but realistically do you think we could attract many quality players after a couple of 2-10 or 1-11 seasons with no prospect of making a bowl in their career here ? I'm thinking we would become a permanent doormat attractive only to kids who could not make a BCS roster anywhere else. I think I'd like to try a more conventional approach for a few more years.

I don't get real excited about games against Georgia Southern either, but I also don't get excited about seeing us get our ass kicked every week. I'm pretty sure I'd find other places to go on Saturday afternoons if we decided to permanently relegate ourselves to punching bags. I can live with wins over bad teams if it means some fun travel in December.

A Bowl??

These kids don't give a shit about some lame Bowl. They want to play in front of big crowds every week, win or lose. They'd love to play my sked.

Ask any of them.

Plus, as fans, our "bowl games" are @ Eugene, @ Oxford, @ Austin, @ Athens, @ South Bend, @ Tuscaloosa, @ Baton Rouge, @ College Station...

We're known as the Big 5 team that goes anywhere. No more lame home games. Great travelling road games.

A one of a kind schedule/program.

Just like hiring Leach woulda been, when he was "unhireable" according to the brain trust here.

Hasn't Ball State tried the punching bag strategy, how has
that worked out?

There is some randomness where we seem to always draw Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Iowa when they're ranked (usually in the top 10)....but we did have Minny and Purdue this year...which looked good preseason. As it turned out, all of our West draws were bowl teams.
most big ten teams are bowl teams. also like to point out that minnesota and purdue are only bowl teams because we did not beat them

don't like this idea but can you imagine alabama coming to memorial stadium? wowsa

A Bowl??

These kids don't give a shit about some lame Bowl. They want to play in front of big crowds every week, win or lose. They'd love to play my sked.

Ask any of them.

Plus, as fans, our "bowl games" are @ Eugene, @ Oxford, @ Austin, @ Athens, @ South Bend, @ Tuscaloosa, @ Baton Rouge, @ College Station...

We're known as the Big 5 team that goes anywhere. No more lame home games. Great travelling road games.

A one of a kind schedule/program.

Just like hiring Leach woulda been, when he was "unhireable" according to the brain trust here.
I don't know how many of "these kids" you talk to. A former student of mine chose Iowa over IU and Purdue in 2006. Started for four years at linebacker for the Hawkeyes. His dad played at IU in the early 1970's. He told me personally that he chose Iowa because he wanted to play in bowl games.

Personally, I think it's a huge deal for the best players and I want the best players IU can get.

most big ten teams are bowl teams. also like to point out that minnesota and purdue are only bowl teams because we did not beat them
Good point. And by the same token, MD lost to us, costing them a bowl bid—they wouldn’t have had to beat OSU to get one (which they didn’t).

There is no reason for any P5 conference to not play nine conference games. The NCAA should step in and mandate immediately for playoff consideration starting next season.

As for IU and its situation, I say no to any changes. If anything, upgrade the OOC schedule a little. We aren't going to be taken seriously starting 3-0 every year with weak scheduling. This is supposed to be big time college football. We need to quit talking about trying to lessen the schedule in order to get bowl eligible. If we can't win 3 or 4 conference games, then we don't deserve to play 13 games.

Great idea... Let's get half our Team hurt after just 3 games and struggle to go 2-10 on the year.

Sorry, but that's a monumentally Bad idea...
There used to be saying around the Big Ten about Wisconsin being the healthiest team in the league during October because their toughest game in September was against Akron.

Some day, people will learn from Northwestern’s model that you can be 0-4 in non-conference and still win the league.

ADVERTISEMENT