ADVERTISEMENT

The Stevens information I was asked not to share

No reason to challenge any of this except what family in Indiana? When “family” in Indiana is mentioned, my antenna go up.
His Dad, Mark Stevens lives in Central Indiana, Boone or Hamilton County.. Mark was a freshman OL on IU's Rose Bowl team.

Reactions: 76-1
Good evening. I’m new to the forums and had to set up an account at the urging of a friend just to share this so please forgive me. I know my established credibility is zero as of now but hear me out and wait the requisite amount of time for this to come to fruition and I think you’ll appreciate this information. I was asked not to share but this is an anonymous board and it’s too important not to share with Hoosier Nation.

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family (dad) in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

Thanks for listening. I’m 95% sure it goes down like this. It’s not if but when.
"
Good evening. I’m new to the forums and had to set up an account at the urging of a friend just to share this so please forgive me. I know my established credibility is zero as of now but hear me out and wait the requisite amount of time for this to come to fruition and I think you’ll appreciate this information. I was asked not to share but this is an anonymous board and it’s too important not to share with Hoosier Nation.

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family (dad) in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

Thanks for listening. I’m 95% sure it goes down like this. It’s not if but when.
"urging of a friend to share this" and "I was asked not to share this"? These two comments in this post a bit contradictory wouldn't you say. This strikes me as another one of those I have inside knowledge that no one else has type of post that is just horse puckey. If you are right you will have my most sincere apology.

Quit parsing the OP's post ffs. lol.

Maybe the guy has info... and maybe he's yanking our chains... Ultimately, it doesn't matter.

This is a message board. Enjoy it. lol

I don't think the DePauw guy's worth all the fuss anyway.

The way I see it, if they can’t land Stevens, it needs to be Beard. If they can’t get Beard, then someone with IU ties. Anyone else (who is a realistic potential candidate right now) will disappoint.

Doesn’t the coach have to be paid by the university and not private donation. He is a state employee paid by state money from the university

No. Typically, some portion of a coach's base salary (think $500,000) is paid for through athletic department funds, but the bulk is paid for through sponsorships, IU foundation funds, or something else. Private donations can be given to the IU Foundation then routed to the athletic department/university for specific use, like paying coaches.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
The way I see it, if they can’t land Stevens, it needs to be Beard. If they can’t get Beard, then someone with IU ties. Anyone else (who is a realistic potential candidate right now) will disappoint.
Neither Stevens, Beard nor Matta (if healthy) would be disappointments. Other than the disappointment of not getting Stevens, of course.

Doesn’t the coach have to be paid by the university and not private donation. He is a state employee paid by state money from the university
The actual state money is a very small portion of his salary. Range is usually like 250k to 500k. The rest come from endorsement and private money.

Neither Stevens, Beard nor Matta (if healthy) would be disappointments. Other than the disappointment of not getting Stevens, of course.

There's more negative JB reactions than I thought. He was just the 1A, 1B or 1C coach in the Big Ten his last ten years and basically a founding father of a modern offense.

As Dakich said the other day, when Knight at TT played him in the tournament he had no answer to what JB was doing which as Dak said he's rarely ever seen that.

JB is a hella choice even if for five to ten years.

There's more negative JB reactions than I thought. He was just the 1A, 1B or 1C coach in the Big Ten his last ten years and basically a founding father of a modern offense.

As Dakich said the other day, when Knight at TT played him in the tournament he had no answer to what JB was doing which as Dak said he's rarely ever seen that.

JB is a hella choice even if for five to ten years.
He’s a good choice, but he’s 68 and I seriously doubt he’d last more than five years and four if he doesn’t win big quickly. There are no sure things, but Stevens, Beard and Matta are young enough to coach for well over 10 years if they prove to be winners at IU.

Reactions: 76-1

Bennett would "disappoint" Really?

Bennett would "disappoint" Really?
Is he on a list of candidates? If so he’s on my list with Stevens, Beard and Matta (if healthy). The bonus with Bennett would be listening to certain posters cluelessly complain about his “gimmick” defense. ;)

For me the most suspect part is that the friend that convinced him to share this information could have easily posted it himself. Poster clearly got too invested in creating a back story in covering for posting with a new account.

It didn't pass the smell test for even three seconds for this 27 year posting vet.

Reactions: 76-1 and turney333

What a steaming load of crap this post was! LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT