ADVERTISEMENT

The Stevens information I was asked not to share

Mar 18, 2021
Good evening. I’m new to the forums and had to set up an account at the urging of a friend just to share this so please forgive me. I know my established credibility is zero as of now but hear me out and wait the requisite amount of time for this to come to fruition and I think you’ll appreciate this information. I was asked not to share but this is an anonymous board and it’s too important not to share with Hoosier Nation.

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family (dad) in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

Thanks for listening. I’m 95% sure it goes down like this. It’s not if but when.

Last edited:
Good evening. I’m new to the forums and had to set up an account at the urging of a friend just to share this so please forgive me. I know my established credibility is zero as of now but hear me out and wait the requisite amount of time for this to come to fruition and I think you’ll appreciate this information. I was asked not to share but this is an anonymous board and it’s too important not to share with Hoosier Nation.

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

Thanks for listening. I’m 95% sure it goes down like this. It’s not if but when.

Amazing. If IU has found a way to get Stevens $8M, bravo. That’s a number he won’t be able to turn down. Well done IU brass.

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

I had a large donor tell me the same thing tonight, so hopefully might be some truth to this.

She's from the Cleveland area, but his folks are in Indy.

My point exactly. Tracy is from Cleveland—no family in Indiana. Brad’s mom is in Florida. His dad is part time in Indiana. When family in Indiana is mentioned as a big draw it’s natural to question the information.

Reactions: MaxCoke
My point exactly. Tracy is from Cleveland—no family in Indiana. Brad’s mom is in Florida. His dad is part time in Indiana. When family in Indiana is mentioned as a big draw it’s natural to question the information.
Didn't know his mom wasn't here. His dad isn't at Orthoindy anymore?

I question someone giving information they were told not to share on a message board and then posting something that can be denied if wrong

Reactions: kmathum
No reason to challenge any of this except what family in Indiana? When “family” in Indiana is mentioned, my antenna go up.
His Dad is in Indy apparently still. The part of this I don't believe is that Stevens could accept the job here and do anything towards it ... like talk to players, assemble a staff, draw a salary at all, until he's divested completely from the Celtics.

I work there, in an area where I know about these conflict of interest, two jobs/moonlighting kind of things rules. Not that I've ever explored it, I just know you can't do that. Either he's going to tell IU, hey, you're going to have to wait till I'm done there or he just has to quit there before he gets any traction here.

Last edited:

I have deep basketball connections in south central Indiana. As it has been told to me, Brad Stevens has been formally offered in the $8 million/year range and this is being funded by private donors. I know, nothing new here. The news here is that Stevens has notified Ainge of his interest and has, in fact, met with IU brass in person in the past week in a clandestine fashion. Ainge is encouraging Stevens to stay but also understands the big business of basketball. Stevens is rumored to being very close to accepting an offer in kind but will not abandon his team until the season is over, which leaves Indiana in a bit of a pickle until late May/June. The prevailing thought here is that Stevens will accept the Indiana job within the week and notify the Celtics and his team and commit to continue to coach them....*unless* they let him walk, which is very possible, even likely. Think Bill Freider/Steve Fisher for Michigan back in the day. Assuming the Celts let him go, this opens up Stevens to Indiana almost immediately and Stevens gets to start his dream job and the mighty rebuild of the Indiana program post haste. The $$$ and the poor performance this year and Stevens’ desire to be closer to his family (dad) in Indiana are the reasons this is happening, I’ve been told.

So why did you share it?

NBA players change coaches (and teams) like changing underwear. Honestly 8 years is generally too long in one spot. Outside of extreme examples like Pop.
I haven’t changed underwear since retiring over 11 years ago but it’s not as bad as it sounds-I quit wearing them at the same time, figuring I had earned the right.

I don’t know what to think anymore about this Stevens rumor. It frightens me, the thought...like it’s an evil force out there, not one of us, but perhaps someone disguised as one of us, who is setting us up for the big “no Stevens” letdown once again. It’s cruel and it’s mean-it comes with The Curse of which we all know what I’m talking about. We’ll see, won’t we! The person who initiated this post might be one of the Purdue clowns messing with out psyches. Remember, it’s happened before.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
His Dad is in Indy apparently still. The part of this I don't believe is that Stevens could accept the job here and do anything towards it ... like talk to players, assemble a staff, draw a salary at all, until he's divested completely from the Celtics.

I work there, in an area where I know about these conflict of interest, two jobs/moonlighting kind of things rules. Not that I've ever explored it, I just know you can't do that. Either he's going to tell IU, hey, you're going to have to wait till I'm done there or he just has to quit there before he gets any traction here.
This is accurate. There is zero chance Stevens can formally accept the IU job while finishing out the NBA regular season/playoffs with the Celtics. Either he walks away with the private donors footing the bill for his contract buyout or Danny Ainge fires him. That’s it.

What makes my stomach churn is a scenario where Stevens informs the IU brass he wants to wait until the Celtics’ season is over before putting pen to paper.

Reactions: vesuvius13

This mostly agrees with what I’m hearing. The timing is perfect this time. The stars are aligned. It’s happening. Everyone n Hoosier Nation should be celebrating.

Reactions: Hoosier009
This is accurate. There is zero chance Stevens can formally accept the IU job while finishing out the NBA regular season/playoffs with the Celtics. Either he walks away with the private donors footing the bill for his contract buyout or Danny Ainge fires him. That’s it.

What makes my stomach churn is a scenario where Stevens informs the IU brass he wants to wait until the Celtics’ season is over before putting pen to paper.
we also don't know how long the Celtics season will last.

This mostly agrees with what I’m hearing. The timing is perfect this time. The stars are aligned. It’s happening. Everyone n Hoosier Nation should be celebrating.
keep the cork in the champagne bottle a bit longer. we have be disappointed before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT