ADVERTISEMENT

The S&P 500 grew at 12% per year under Trump

td75

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2003
Apparently only Bill Clinton and Calvin Coolidge had a better mark. While Trump certainly inherited a robust market, like it or not, he gets credit for keeping it humming along/growing.

It's mind-boggling that people could give up on a President that oversaw such growth. His 4 year term was a huge bull market that saw people's investments mushroom.

To think that this country is now trotting out an 80 year old man that should be on a dementia medication, is boggling, simply mind-boggling.

What a high price to pay to elect someone that's 'presidential'....

Apparently only Bill Clinton and Calvin Coolidge had a better mark. While Trump certainly inherited a robust market, like it or not, he gets credit for keeping it humming along/growing.

It's mind-boggling that people could give up on a President that oversaw such growth. His 4 year term was a huge bull market that saw people's investments mushroom.

To think that this country is now trotting out an 80 year old man that should be on a dementia medication, is boggling, simply mind-boggling.

That's what probably the majority of German's said about Hindenburg. The Fuhrer had the German economy roaring!

It would be mind boggling if that were all that was memorable from Trump’s term. Your inability to see his faults and their detriment is actually mind boggling.

It would be mind boggling if that were all that was memorable from Trump’s term. Your inability to see his faults and their detriment is actually mind boggling.
You bought the media's portrayal of Trump. He WAS NOT their choice in the 2016 election. It was an upset that he beat corrupt Hillary Clinton. The media controls the narrative and people like you swallow it hook, line, and sinker....

That statistic doesn't translate into prosperity for a lot of Americans. It's great for folks who have the wage/wealth capacity to invest for profit or retirement ( I count myself in that group). It's pretty meaningless for folks earning less than $20 per hour, young households that have to commit most of their income to consumption (and large student loan debt), or those whose income is eaten up by high costs for health insurance and medical care (like my adult children in their 20's and early 30's). We need those individuals and families to be able to both save for retirement and buy homes, cars, appliances, furniture, etc. The current economy makes that impossible for many, especially when so many jobs these days provide few or no fringe benefits. Like the unemployment rate that ignores the huge number of underemployed, the stock market is a false indicator of the health of the economy. I would also add that any President's influence on the stock market is about the same as his influence on the price of tea in India.

It's a bit like the late '70's and early '80's when my grandparents were earning double-digit interest on their savings accounts and CDs, while I was paying double-digit interest for a modest mortgage and car loan - and trying to support a young family. A healthy economy needs balance.

All that said, Trump's massive failures in every other area undercut any economic success. The tax cut passed in 2017 only minimally (if at all) benefitted 80% of all Americans. The upper fifth made out like bandits. As for Biden's mental fitness I'm baffled that being 80 makes him demented, but McConnell at nearly the same age is somehow the most shrewd politician in history in the minds of Republicans. If Trump was handed a second term, he would be as old at the end of his term as Biden is now. So I guess we now know the exact age one becomes mentally unfit to serve. It's also worth noting that Trump is barely literate, and his ignorance of all things not related to golf or real estate easily render him the stupidest person to ever occupy the office.

You bought the media's portrayal of Trump. He WAS NOT their choice in the 2016 election. It was an upset that he beat corrupt Hillary Clinton. The media controls the narrative and people like you swallow it hook, line, and sinker....
He incited an attack on the Capitol because he lost the election. Most of those corporations consider him a madman.

So he didn’t do the things he did. Ok. He didn’t say the things he said. Ok.

Trumps term was not a 100% failure. Lowering corporate tax rates was a good thing. His unorthodox attempts at Middle East relations, while not ideal, may have a long term positive effect. He had a real shot at the beginning of his term to attempt something bipartisan. His narcissism prevented that from ever occurring. You can throw the media in there if you want but he gave them plenty of fuel and gave just as good as he got.

Also, being “presidential” has its benefits. Trump never learned that.

edited to “corporate tax rates”

quiz,

what's the only difference between the NYSE + NASDAQ, and Bernie Madoff.

spoiler alert,

fed-reserve.jpg

and the powers that be didn't instal Joe into the White House to stop the runaway money train.

He incited an attack on the Capitol because he lost the election. Most of those corporations consider him a madman.
Bullshit, that's the media feeding you that garbage. I've listened to his speech, he never ever said to burglarize the Capitol, break windows, etc. Personal responsibility is lost on the left, completely lost.

Bullshit, that's the media feeding you that garbage. I've listened to his speech, he never ever said to burglarize the Capitol, break windows, etc. Personal responsibility is lost on the left, completely lost.

"not sayin, just sayin".

I'd like to hear him explain what exactly he did think the crowd was going to do. Surround the capital and yell? Is that fighting like hell to save the country?

While we're at it, did his government provide him any briefings that there were individuals on their terrorist list attending that day? If so, then maybe he should have been a little more specific about what not to do. If not, then that's a major f****** by his government. There were stories in the papers that week that should have given any one who was paying attention concern that the crowd could become violent.

Timing as when a president takes office in terms of what happens to the economy and the stock market is everything. As with Herbert Hoover this might not be a fair way to appraise a president, but that is the way the cookie crumbles.

Old Joe Biden might not be as lucky, as say Clinton or Trump, according to experts looking at the next ten years in this report which in part states,

The U.S. stock market’s prospects over the next decade are dismal. That’s hardly news for value-focused advisers who have been sounding this alarm for several years now. What is new is the way in which one economist has reached this same conclusion.​

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
“You’re patriots” “I love you”

Those words were spoken during and after the incident. He did NOTHING during the incident for several hours and WH staff said he was watching it on TV and loving what he was seeing.

Yep, he’s a traitor and POS.

So he didn’t do the things he did. Ok. He didn’t say the things he said. Ok.

Trumps term was not a 100% failure. Lowering corporate tax rates was a good thing. His unorthodox attempts at Middle East relations, while not ideal, may have a long term positive effect. He had a real shot at the beginning of his term to attempt something bipartisan. His narcissism prevented that from ever occurring. You can throw the media in there if you want but he gave them plenty of fuel and gave just as good as he got.

Also, being “presidential” has its benefits. Trump never learned that.

edited to “corporate tax rates”
I agree with much of what you said, but if you think there was ANY chance of bipartisanism, you are ignoring the calls for his impreachment before he ever took office and then the next 2 1/2 years of being judged guilty for Russian collusion.

There was zero chance of bipartisanism in that environment.

I'd like to hear him explain what exactly he did think the crowd was going to do. Surround the capital and yell? Is that fighting like hell to save the country?

While we're at it, did his government provide him any briefings that there were individuals on their terrorist list attending that day? If so, then maybe he should have been a little more specific about what not to do. If not, then that's a major f****** by his government. There were stories in the papers that week that should have given any one who was paying attention concern that the crowd could become violent.
What do BLM and Antifa protesters think they're going to do? Hold signs and yell slogans?

"And please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful. Because I can show you that outraged citizens are what made the country what she is and led to any major milestone. To be honest, this is not a tranquil time."

'Today is the day we start taking names and kicking ass'

'Hang Mike Pence'

'We're coming for that bitch Pelosi'

'Today is 1776' - Lauren Boebert tweets that morning.

'We are locked in the house chambers' - Lauren Boebert tweets at 2:17 after getting directives to not say anything to give out their location.

'The speaker is being removed from the chambers' - Boebert tweets a minute later.

Look Trump is the head of Maga and has been fluffing you dumbasses for months with a lie. Then he and his band of ghouls really fired you up before the certification was to take place.

Then he sent his mindless zombies on their way.

You guys tried to overthrow a democratic election by violence.

That is the very definition of sedition.

You are not patriots, you are nothing but moronic traitors, risking your way of life over a con job because you are too stupid or to in love to realize it.

I was hoping after such a blatent attack on American freedom you MAGA's supposedly love that we could use this to unify a little and realize that Trump is a complete loon.

But no.

So there will probably be more violence from you assholes who most have never even bothered to read the constitution because if you did, you'd understand how much you are sh#$ting all over it with your devotion to a guy like Trump.

"Oversaw such growth?" Seriously?

Trump never oversaw anything. He recruited a v-p, fed chair, SC justices, numerous fed judges, FBI head, atty general, a Covid task force and randomly tried to undercut or overrule each of them to suit his random-mood-of-the-day.

Biden is 78 not 80. Trump is 74 and nuts. Average people don't pay much attention to stocks or " a huge bull market." The fact you claim to be mind-boggled about the election is itself mind-boggling.

83346981-352-k730088.jpg

'Today is the day we start taking names and kicking ass'

'Hang Mike Pence'

'We're coming for that bitch Pelosi'

'Today is 1776' - Lauren Boebert tweets that morning.

'We are locked in the house chambers' - Lauren Boebert tweets at 2:17 after getting directives to not say anything to give out their location.

'The speaker is being removed from the chambers' - Boebert tweets a minute later.

Look Trump is the head of Maga and has been fluffing you dumbasses for months with a lie. Then he and his band of ghouls really fired you up before the certification was to take place.

Then he sent his mindless zombies on their way.

You guys tried to overthrow a democratic election by violence.

That is the very definition of sedition.

You are not patriots, you are nothing but moronic traitors, risking your way of life over a con job because you are too stupid or to in love to realize it.

I was hoping after such a blatent attack on American freedom you MAGA's supposedly love that we could use this to unify a little and realize that Trump is a complete loon.

But no.

So there will probably be more violence from you assholes who most have never even bothered to read the constitution because if you did, you'd understand how much you are sh#$ting all over it with your devotion to a guy like Trump.
Who are 'you assholes"?

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/01/14/utah-activists-who-was-us/

Reactions: Lucy01
“You’re patriots” “I love you”

Those words were spoken during and after the incident. He did NOTHING during the incident for several hours and WH staff said he was watching it on TV and loving what he was seeing.

Yep, he’s a traitor and POS.
Yeh he did. He was talking to Tommy Tuberville getting reconnaissance on what was happening at the Capital and apparently was quite pleased according to those that interacted with him at the White House.

What do BLM and Antifa protesters think they're going to do? Hold signs and yell slogans?

"And please, show me where it says protesters are supposed to be polite and peaceful. Because I can show you that outraged citizens are what made the country what she is and led to any major milestone. To be honest, this is not a tranquil time."
Tell it to TD75. He's the one saying Trump is blameless.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

You just repeated the silliest argument ever.

Your equivalency/both-sides argument (frequently spewed by others) is that no one should correct the radical right's insurrection until we first do something about "BLM" and "Antifa." You say we can't solve Problem A until we first correct Problems B, C, D, E, ... (and whatever else you come up with) to your sole satisfaction.

Problem solving doesn't work that way. You lost the election and are just flailing about. Hopefully, the new administration will correct every problem it can, with no delays caused by sore losers.

There are over 20,000 troops in DC because of the threat of MAGA.

Thats a bigger footprint than we have in Afghanistan, because of the threat of MAGA.

This will be the first inauguration event that will be closed to the public not because of covid, because of the threat of MAGA assholes.

It's f#$king dumb but that's MAGA so I wouldn't expect anything less.

I'm pretty such Trump will be able to brag that there were more people at his inauguration now.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I agree with much of what you said, but if you think there was ANY chance of bipartisanism, you are ignoring the calls for his impreachment before he ever took office and then the next 2 1/2 years of being judged guilty for Russian collusion.

There was zero chance of bipartisanism in that environment.
Again. He had a chance to be presidential. Probably would have gotten some leeway with some folks. Sometimes you’ve got to be president. He failed.

Again. He had a chance to be presidential. Probably would have gotten some leeway with some folks. Sometimes you’ve got to be president. He failed.
I guess he could have made himself a human punching bag like George Bush did. I'm sure Democrats would have loved that.

I guess he could have made himself a human punching bag like George Bush did. I'm sure Democrats would have loved that.
Three essential ingredients for being a good President: a thick skin, a sense of humor, and the good sense to not hold grudges. Both Bushes had all of these qualities, as did Reagan. Those aren't partisan-specific traits. Trump and Nixon lacked those qualities and it cost them both dearly - both in their performance of the job and the way history will judge them.

It’s over. Let go.

Obama’s was better.

Ennhhh . . . you might have a point if all that economic performance hadn't come only with the greatest increase in national debt ever seen. He goosed the economy when we ought to have been paying down debt . . . .

Parties are easy when you're using someone else's money. That's all that Trump did . . . transfer money from a lot of folks' future earnings to someone like me during the past 4 years . . .

. . . BTW, whatever happened to conservatives' interest in balanced budgets? My guess is that that's exactly what they'll be harping on once Biden takes office. Until then . . . not so much.

Last edited:
Ennhhh . . . you might have a point if all that economic performance hadn't come only with the greatest increase in national debt ever seen. He goosed the economy when we ought to have been paying down debt . . . .

Parties are easy when you're using someone else's money. That's all that Trump did . . . transfer money from a lot of folks' future earnings to someone like me -during the past 4 years . . .

. . . BTW, whatever happened to conservatives' interest in balanced budgets? My guess is that that's exactly what they'll be harping on once Biden takes office. Until then . . . not so much.

Goat tells us that the debt doesn’t matter

Reactions: DANC
Trump was such a "punching bag" that he controlled Congress for 2 of his 4 years (and got nothing done to improve healthcare or infrastructure).

Reactions: DrHoops
Trump was such a "punching bag" that he controlled Congress for 2 of his 4 years (and got nothing done to improve healthcare or infrastructure).
Was that supposed to make sense? The discussion was over being Presidential.

You are struggling today.

We were running half trillion dollar deficits when Donald Trump announced he wanted to lower taxes while increasing spending. We would have run a trillion dollar deficit this fiscal year but COVID made that look like a pipe dream. The tax plan stimulated the economy. It was also expensive, and the growth in my portfolio will be paid for by someone eventually.

But yes, if Biden were to cut taxes and deregulate even further I should see additional growth to my portfolio. That would be really great for me. But hey, I don’t have any kids...no kids = no grandkids. For some illogical reason I still think growing the market through debt accumulation is a short term plan.

ADVERTISEMENT