ADVERTISEMENT

The Rule and The Exception

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
The Rule: In sports, the team with better players usually wins.
The Exception: Occasionally, a team with inferior players, can pull off an upset

Indiana fans have become delusional in chasing the fictitious coach who can consistently pull off the exception. Our favorite movie, Hoosiers, is based on an exception (1954 Milan High School) versus the rule (Muncie Central which won IHSSAA state championships in 1928, 1931, 1951, 1952, 1963, 1978, 1979 and 1988.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muncie_Central_High_School

Last year's team beating MSU twice was an exception, rather than the rule (which was that that team had serious talent deficiencies, particularly in the post)

The article below is one that demonstrates the "rules" of college basketball instead of the exceptions
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ng-this-seasons-ncaa-tournament-championship/

I want IU to be Muncie Central, not Milan. For IU to become what we all want it to become, we have to have someone consistently bringing in better players. It just isn't much more complicated than that.

Reactions: kmathum
Would wager that since 2010 Indiana has put more players in NBA than Virginia. We’ve had good players, at least good enough to win a title but keep making coaching excuses.

Would wager that since 2010 Indiana has put more players in NBA than Virginia. We’ve had good players, at least good enough to win a title but keep making coaching excuses.

Stop it. Just because we've put a respectable # of players in the NBA over a 10 year period does not mean we've had talent "good enough to win a title". We had 1 team that was in that range over that time period, but our Coach was not good enough. And, since he's no longer here, remind me again: "what's your point"?

Reactions: minneman
Stop it. Just because we've put a respectable # of players in the NBA over a 10 year period does not mean we've had talent "good enough to win a title". We had 1 team that was in that range over that time period, but our Coach was not good enough. And, since he's no longer here, remind me again: "what's your point"?
You are just dumb.

We had 2 NBA players on the roster last year and didn't even make the tourney. How many do you need on a team????

You are just dumb.
Your stupidity makes me cringe with embarrassment for you every time I read one of your ignorant posts. Just stop. Why do you want to embarrass yourself? Is their some internet badge for extreme stupidity that you are trying to win?
Please tell me what motivates you to want to look like a complete lunatic on a message board. I really want to know.

Your stupidity makes me cringe with embarrassment for you every time I read one of your ignorant posts. Just stop. Why do you want to embarrass yourself? Is their some internet badge for extreme stupidity that you are trying to win?
Please tell me what motivates you to want to look like a complete lunatic on a message board. I really want to know.
My posts present facts period.

The Exception: Occasionally, a team with inferior players, can pull off an upset

Indiana fans have become delusional in chasing the fictitious coach who can consistently pull off the exception. Our favorite movie, Hoosiers, is based on an exception (1954 Milan High School) versus the rule (Muncie Central which won IHSSAA state championships in 1928, 1931, 1951, 1952, 1963, 1978, 1979 and 1988.)

Last year's team beating MSU twice was an exception, rather than the rule (which was that that team had serious talent deficiencies, particularly in the post)

The article below is one that demonstrates the "rules" of college basketball instead of the exceptions
https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...ng-this-seasons-ncaa-tournament-championship/

I want IU to be Muncie Central, not Milan. For IU to become what we all want it to become, we have to have someone consistently bringing in better players. It just isn't much more complicated than that.
Milan was in the state finals the year before they won. They did not surprise anyone.

Milan was in the state finals the year before they won. They did not surprise anyone.
You're right. A little known fact regarding their 1953 aooearance ni the Final Four. They had 2 D1 players on that Milan team and played a Butler/Hinkle system that was perfectly suited to their roster. Beyond that, they were a bonded team of kids who had grown up playing together and knew their own game inside out.

You're right. A little known fact regarding their 1953 aooearance ni the Final Four. They had 2 D1 players on that Milan team and played a Butler/Hinkle system that was perfectly suited to their roster. Beyond that, they were a bonded team of kids who had grown up playing together and knew their own game inside out.

Two? I think you're underestimating that team by about half a dozen. Most of those players by my recollection ended up playing college ball somewhere. I think 2 @ Butler, Houston, IU (might have been baseball), maybe even an SMU or UNLV? I remember being shocked. I read a book on them years ago and that was surprising to me. I think it was this one, which was a great read btw:

Amazon product ASIN 0253216311

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Two? I think you're underestimating that team by about half a dozen. Most of those players by my recollection ended up playing college ball somewhere. I think 2 @ Butler, Houston, IU (might have been baseball), maybe even an SMU or UNLV? I remember being shocked. I read a book on them years ago and that was surprising to me. I think it was this one, which was a great read btw:

Right again Gene White played at Franklin college, Rollin Cutter at Butler and Roger Schroeder played at Franklin

He’s anonymous here and that’s probably important to those that want to post like stupid shitheads, but I doubt that would matter in his case. You can’t fix stupid, and he’s apparently truly stupid.

Ray Craft was the leading scorer in the final game for Milan (not Plump), and I thing he played at Butler, also..

Reactions: kkott

We need to adjust what it means to be Indiana. Players getting compensation for their likeness is fast approaching. The new AD and whoever is coaching here should have a plan to take advantage of that. We still have a large alumni base and a sleeping giant of a fandom. Start thinking about things like putting the names on the back of jerseys and giving the kids a cut of their jersey sales. Things like that are going to be the types of things we need to start thinking in order to stay competitive (or get back to being that way).

We need to adjust what it means to be Indiana. Players getting compensation for their likeness is fast approaching. The new AD and whoever is coaching here should have a plan to take advantage of that. We still have a large alumni base and a sleeping giant of a fandom. Start thinking about things like putting the names on the back of jerseys and giving the kids a cut of their jersey sales. Things like that are going to be the types of things we need to start thinking in order to stay competitive (or get back to being that way).

Hate this post. But spot on. The entire calculus of recruiting willl change.

No names on the back

No names on the back
When players can start earning money from NIL, I think that names on the back of the jersey is the right move to make. But, then again, I've been for tradition just for the sake of tradition. If that tradition puts you at a disadvantage then change it. And face it, you don't care enough about the tradition of not putting names on the jerseys that you'd stop watching if they did, do you? No, you'll still watch and just complain. Then yell at some kids to get off your lawn.

can you name some of these great COLLEGE players we've had? i'll hang up and listen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT