ADVERTISEMENT

The results will stay the same....

82IU

Freshman
Apr 30, 2016
until we can get and develop better linemen. No pressure on an inexperienced qb killed us in this game. Weak Oline keeps us from being effective in the red zone.
Case in point about softness. I saw Caleb Jones get knocked down in a play late in the game, honestly folks, he is 6'9" and 360 lbs. He should be chewing guys up and spitting them out. Way too soft on both lines. I always wondered why other teams can play well against Wisky and we can't. WEAK AND UNDERDELOPED LINES.
Fix our line woes and we can go bowling again.

until we can get and develop better linemen. No pressure on an inexperienced qb killed us in this game. Weak Oline keeps us from being effective in the red zone.
Case in point about softness. I saw Caleb Jones get knocked down in a play late in the game, honestly folks, he is 6'9" and 360 lbs. He should be chewing guys up and spitting them out. Way too soft on both lines. I always wondered why other teams can play well against Wisky and we can't. WEAK AND UNDERDELOPED LINES.
Fix our line woes and we can go bowling again.
Do you really think our keystone cop staff is going
to fix anything?

We miss GF coaching the Oline in the worst way no matter what a few have said here. They should be putting salt and pepper on those comments right about now...vbg.

We miss GF coaching the Oline in the worst way no matter what a few have said here. They should be putting salt and pepper on those comments right about now...vbg.
Frey was good and there's plenty of talent on the O line to be much better but you have to coach it up, that hasn't happened.

Guess who recruited four out of the five starters on this OL... I'll help you: GF

He put a guy at left tackle that'd should be playing either G or DT, he brought in another supposed left tackle that should be playing at C...

Color me underwhelmed by GF...

Strangely.....all this talk about Dr. Rhea and our 23 mph speed has gone silent as we prove to be one of the slowest and strength-challenged teams in the conference. All just talk and hype. Same old stuff.

Reactions: IUgradman
Guess who recruited four out of the five starters on this OL... I'll help you: GF

He put a guy at left tackle that'd should be playing either G or DT, he brought in another supposed left tackle that should be playing at C...

Color me underwhelmed by GF...
True enough...but he didn't coach them did he? And weve been saying...its about the coaching. Results are the proof...

Nobody has ever brought up the fact that Allen was handed the keys to a Ben Davis team, that had just won 3 out of 4 state titles, and subsequently went backwards in his 3 years as head coach. The same is happening here (minus the championships of course). I just can't see a good ending to this. He may need to get head coaching experience elsewhere, or accept a demotion back as a DC. The fans that want more than mediocre seasons like myself have been silenced for months on this forum for this risky hire. Some, not all, are finally seeing the light.

I've watched Boston College have a lot of success with their power running game. Justin Frye has done a heck of a job as their o-line coach. I cant believe we didnt hire him. Addazio was here at IU once and I wish we could have hired him as Head Coach. Hes solid.

Strangely.....all this talk about Dr. Rhea and our 23 mph speed has gone silent as we prove to be one of the slowest and strength-challenged teams in the conference. All just talk and hype. Same old stuff.
I am almost saddened how strongly you’ve turned on IU!

I concur it’s been basically maddening to see them not get wins hey should, but would just think you should consider not becoming one of the angry mob types and just lower expectations (sadly) for this year and still hope for MD win one game at a time mentality?

Penix could be a program changing talent who I believe would have played out this season had he not been injured. But now that he is, I’m happy his rehab will start soon as he will still have 4 yrs left.

If he does what many think he can and IU starts winning, you’re of course welcome back with open arms, but will look for a n “Inwas wrong post for credibility purposes as you were a long view supporter who’s turned hard against. You’re right to do so, but hope you’ll come around if things turn (even this year with 2 wins if it happens.)

You were “one of the good guys” in a world of fbaugh’s out there. Hope you get your mojo back as Inknow it’s not easy but just remember Allen is a proven good recruiter, the Penix/Florida pipeline and #8 RB in nation proves that. Frustrating as this year is, it can still turn under his watch and I think Penix at helm start hat turn next season. Good luck, but leaving the resistance to come home is always still an option!

Recruiting is a tenuous thing...kids that say they are coming today, watch carefully until signing day...then decide where they will attend. I think if we can hold this upcoming class together, next season could begin to be special...but that's conditional on keeping the players now committed plus a few more. This season will have an effect on the future. To what extent I cant say...but to some measurable amount...it always has, and will.

All season long I said next year next year. I wish I was as certain now. There are some serious problems at the top that must be fixed and can...but will they?

This is getting old...

I concur it’s been basically maddening to see them not get wins hey should, but would just think you should consider not becoming one of the angry mob types and just lower expectations (sadly) for this year and still hope for MD win one game at a time mentality?

Penix could be a program changing talent who I believe would have played out this season had he not been injured. But now that he is, I’m happy his rehab will start soon as he will still have 4 yrs left.

If he does what many think he can and IU starts winning, you’re of course welcome back with open arms, but will look for a n “Inwas wrong post for credibility purposes as you were a long view supporter who’s turned hard against. You’re right to do so, but hope you’ll come around if things turn (even this year with 2 wins if it happens.)

You were “one of the good guys” in a world of fbaugh’s out there. Hope you get your mojo back as Inknow it’s not easy but just remember Allen is a proven good recruiter, the Penix/Florida pipeline and #8 RB in nation proves that. Frustrating as this year is, it can still turn under his watch and I think Penix at helm start hat turn next season. Good luck, but leaving the resistance to come home is always still an option!

I hate to say this but I’m so exhausted spending emotional energy always thinking that good things will happen for this program. Been following for 40+ years since I was a youngster during the Corso years. Been to the bowl games, all the home games. We had a guy in Hep that I thought “Finally, the football gods have smiled upon us and we’ve got somebody here for the long term to build this program into a winner.” The gods saw fit to snuff that out in the blink of an eye. They also fit to “bless” us with an AD department that operates like a FCS school making mind-boggling decisions. We make bad decision after bad decision. We don’t learn from past mistakes. We continue down the path that has led to the same bad results as before. The true definition of insanity. I don’t normally believe in curses but this program is cursed to lose. The coaches change. The philosophies change. The recruiting supposedly is better. Same crappy results with 3-stars that we had with 2-stars. I don’t think IU will ever succeed in my lifetime. I will exit this world seeing the same exact garbage I’ve always seen over 40+ years of following this. You mention Penix? He is a talent. Guess what? They blessed him with an ACL tear. Kid may never recover in his career at IU. Just the same sh$&@ that’s happened at IU over the course of 40 seasons. Like I said: I din’t normally believe in curses but IU football makes about as strong a case for it as there is. How do you rid yourself of a curse? Do things differently. Start with a real coach and his entire staff from a program that knows how to win. No more dicking around with chances on hot shot coordinators who are learning on the job. Bring in Satterfield or Miles or Norvell or somebody, anybody, that knows a formula for success because it ain’t this group.

Think that was/is a legit argument that could have been made post Wilson. 1.75 yrs into Allen, I don’t agree, but do think staff tweaking is appropriate after this season.

Like JShun, I think ACL’s today are pretty normal to recover from and bet he will be passing in the spring, then starting in the fall.

OL’s can look better when they have exciting talent (Penix & James, 2 4-star players. Can name about 8 FR playing on D who are good now, but should get better too.

I won’t say Allen hasn’t had his best year and want to see staff changes (upgrades!) this off season. But until fat lady sings, I still think MD game is winnable which then puts IU in position to hopefully beat PU at home and still go bowling. Not a slam dunk, but could be fun way to end season. But I am mentally prepared to wait to next year with Penix starting to see what the art of the possible is as I think he is first time we’ve had 4-star QB talent, which that alone can be a difference maker.

Reactions: grammy2

I too miss the old Crimson. I know these last few games have been frustrating. I am still not giving up on this season. We are still slower and weaker than most of our opponents but you can’t expect miracles in just one offseason. I am going to remain patient and positive and continue to support the Hoosiers.

Think that was/is a legit argument that could have been made post Wilson. 1.75 yrs into Allen, I don’t agree, but do think staff tweaking is appropriate after this season.

Like JShun, I think ACL’s today are pretty normal to recover from and bet he will be passing in the spring, then starting in the fall.

OL’s can look better when they have exciting talent (Penix & James, 2 4-star players. Can name about 8 FR playing on D who are good now, but should get better too.

I won’t say Allen hasn’t had his best year and want to see staff changes (upgrades!) this off season. But until fat lady sings, I still think MD game is winnable which then puts IU in position to hopefully beat PU at home and still go bowling. Not a slam dunk, but could be fun way to end season. But I am mentally prepared to wait to next year with Penix starting to see what the art of the possible is as I think he is first time we’ve had 4-star QB talent, which that alone can be a difference maker.

The fat lady is not just warming up, she’s singing right now at a fever pitch. Maryland and Purdue will beat us by 4 touchdowns each. Our “defensive guru” HC will have his unit looking like a pee-wee version of my son’s flag football team in those games. His defense is at a level of Knorr and Doug Mallory.

You were “one of the good guys” in a world of fbaugh’s outcome back when or if we start winning there. Hope you get your mojo back as Inknow it’s not easy but just remember Allen is a proven good recruiter, the Penix/Florida pipeline and #8 RB in nation proves that. Frustrating as this year is, it can still turn under his watch and I think Penix at helm start hat turn next season. Good luck, but leaving the resistance to come home is always still an option!
One thing I disagree with you is that f fans leave when things are bad they should not be welcomed back when or if we start winning.

I too miss the old Crimson. I know these last few games have been frustrating. I am still not giving up on this season. We are still slower and weaker than most of our opponents but you can’t expect miracles in just one offseason. I am going to remain patient and positive and continue to support the Hoosiers.
Yeah me too. Unfortunately patience is something you don’t find much of around here.

Looking objectively at iu, almost all (if not all) of the "good" players are either redshirt freshmen or freshmen. They shouldn't be that good as a team. Fans expectations are too high.
My team mvp: stevie scott (and it's not close)

I've watched Boston College have a lot of success with their power running game. Justin Frye has done a heck of a job as their o-line coach. I cant believe we didnt hire him. Addazio was here at IU once and I wish we could have hired him as Head Coach. Hes solid.

Addazio is another loser.
His team got manhandled up at Ross-Ade. He’s supposed to be some power run game guy and defensively stout and his lines looked as soft as ours do. No thanks.

Yeah, totally. I mean, what's more plausible...

Indiana's lack of success in football is due to decades of neglect, underfunding, poor leadership, terrible coaching hires, and tragic loss.

Or...

Because the fans don't show up.

This really isn't even debatable.
You can deny it all you want but a lack of fan support is a contributor to the lack of success.

Let's compare:
Northwestern used to be the Big 10 doormat. They recruit about the same level player as IU but win far more. In 2017, IU average attendance was 43,953; Northwestern: 35,853.

It's coaching and culture.

No no, it's the fans fault. We don't cheer loud enough.

You can deny it all you want but a lack of fan support is a contributor to the lack of success.
Sub-par fan support doesn't help, but IU's woes have always been about a lack of leadership and a culture that accepts losing. I don't know if you competed in sports, but winning coaches instill a culture and attitude that is unmistakeable, while coaches who don't get it done fail in that mission.

Think of Charlie Weis or John L. Smith or plenty of coaches who were technically good but couldn't establish a culture that got the buy in of their players. Then look at guys like Bill Snyder or Barry Alvarez who got the culture part right first, even at the expense of great player attrition. They'd rather have guys leave than keep them and have the losing mentality continue. Gary Barnett, Randy Walker and Fitzgerald didn't use a lack of attendance as an excuse, and neither did Snyder and Alvarez. Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa State in a state where he's the second banana and where the population is small. Leach did it at Texas Tech and Wazzu, Schiano did it at Rutgers, the examples are everywhere. But they each established a culture, and that's why they've all been winners. Dick Dullaghan established it at Ben Davis, but his retirement showed that it was very difficult to sustain if the leadership isn't up to the task.

Sub-par fan support doesn't help, but IU's woes have always been about a lack of leadership and a culture that accepts losing. I don't know if you competed in sports, but winning coaches instill a culture and attitude that is unmistakeable, while coaches who don't get it done fail in that mission.

Think of Charlie Weis or John L. Smith or plenty of coaches who were technically good but couldn't establish a culture that got the buy in of their players. Then look at guys like Bill Snyder or Barry Alvarez who got the culture part right first, even at the expense of great player attrition. They'd rather have guys leave than keep them and have the losing mentality continue. Gary Barnett, Randy Walker and Fitzgerald didn't use a lack of attendance as an excuse, and neither did Snyder and Alvarez. Matt Campbell is doing at Iowa State in a state where he's the second banana and where the population is small. Leach did it at Texas Tech and Wazzu, Schiano did it at Rutgers, the examples are everywhere. But they each established a culture, and that's why they've all been winners. Dick Dullaghan established it at Ben Davis, but his retirement showed that it was very difficult to sustain if the leadership isn't up to the task.
What should Allen be doing (that he's not already doing) to establish the "culture" of which you speak?

Reactions: 76-1
36,000 in 47000 as opposed to 30,000 in 52,000
What culture did they have longest losing streak in NCAA history. Gary Barnett not a world beater before arriving in Evanston. Got lucky on a few recruits. Had miracle season that lead to a Rose Bowl. Followed up with Randy Walker and they continued to change the culture. Then Pat Fitzgerald has continued the winning ways. The thing is Tom Allen has gotten some quality recruits Penix, McFadden, hopefully James. Now why don’t we give him a chance to coach them and see what happens and people come out and be positive and enthusiastic. Hell people are on Tom Allen for his enthusiasm, but somebody has to create excitement because the crowd doesn’t.

36,000 in 47000 as opposed to 30,000 in 52,000

Oh! So it's not about a full stadium, it's just about a percentage of capacity...why didn't you just say so to begin with?

And Indiana's 2017 average was shown to be almost 44,000, not 30,000, so you're wrong there too. It'll be closer to 30,000 going forward unless Allen gets his sh!t together. Then what? Goes back to that whole 'winning' thing.

Keep moving those goal posts. Your arguement is garbage and an insult to actual Indiana fans.

Last edited:
Oh! So it's not about a full stadium, it's just about a percentage of capacity...why didn't you just say so to begin with? And Indiana's 2017 average was shown to be almost 44,000, not 30,000, so you're wrong there too. It'll be closer to 30,000 going forward unless Allen gets his sh!t together. Then what? Goes back to that whole 'winning' thing.

Keep moving those goal posts. Your arguement is garbage and an insult to actual Indiana fans.
You are typical IU football fan just sit back and point the finger at everyone else. You can believe what you want but I have coached these kids for 34 years and I know what they are looking for. I have talked to the kids to try to help them make decisions on schools and listened to them. I have taken them to Miami games to Florida games to Florida State games, to South Florida games. So you can pretend all you want that you have all the right answers and I will say it I do not know everything far from it but I do listen and I am somewhat in touch with high school kids and what they want.

Reactions: Chriselli
You are typical IU football fan just sit back and point the finger at everyone else. You can believe what you want but I have coached these kids for 34 years and I know what they are looking for. I have talked to the kids to try to help them make decisions on schools and listened to them. I have taken them to Miami games to Florida games to Florida State games, to South Florida games. So you can pretend all you want that you have all the right answers and I will say it I do not know everything far from it but I do listen and I am somewhat in touch with high school kids and what they want.

You know sh!t. In this very thread you've had to back track when your arguement fell apart and you were proven wrong with simple attendance numbers.

I'm a typical IU fan, huh? I bought season tickets the day Hep passed away and sat through the Lynch years screaming my head off for better results to no avail. So don't ever lecture me on what kind of fan I am.

The typical IU fan wants success for the program no matter who's coaching. But they're willing to call a spade a spade when it's clear a change in direction is needed. And if you read my posting history on this board you'll not find one post where I advocate for such a thing. My issue with my alma mater, is that Allen should never have been hired as head coach in the first place. But he's here and he's not going anywhere. I get that.

It's the righteous fans such as yourself who keep making ridiculous excuses and harbor mediocrity that likely won't affect improvement. I haven't been able to go to games like I could in the past because I started a family. I was finally able to attend one and go to this year's Iowa game. My presence there didn't make one bit of difference on the outcome. It didn't keep the score any closer.

It's not the fans. Win and they will come. I promise.

Last edited:
I'm all for giving Tom Allen a chance...but please stop with the knocks on the fans and their lack of enthusiasm. The team's performance has really set the tone for the fans' enthusiasm level.
Just seems as though we regress as the year goes on...looks like mental fatigue to me. We should be better mentally than we're performing. Show some intensity and s### can the enthusiasm.

Oh! So it's not about a full stadium, it's just about a percentage of capacity...why didn't you just say so to begin with? And Indiana's 2017 average was shown to be almost 44,000, not 30,000, so you're wrong there too. It'll be closer to 30,000 going forward unless Allen gets his sh!t together. Then what? Goes back to that whole 'winning' thing.

You know sh!t. In this very thread you've had to back track when your arguement fell apart and you were proven wrong with simple attendance numbers.

I'm a typical IU fan, huh? I bought season tickets the day Hep passed away and sat through the Lynch years screaming my head off for better results to no avail. So don't ever lecture me on what kind of fan I am.

The typical IU fan wants success for the program no matter who's coaching. But they're willing to call a spade a spade when it's clear a change in direction is needed. And if you read my posting history on this board you'll not find one post where I advocate for such a thing. My issue with my alma mater, is that Allen should never have been hired as head coach in the first place. But he's here and he's not going anywhere. I get that.

It's the righteous fans such as yourself who keep making ridiculous excuses and harbor mediocrity that likely won't affect improvement. I haven't been able to go to games like I could in the past because I started a family. I was finally able to attend one and go to this year's Iowa game. My presence there didn't make one bit of difference on the outcome. It didn't keep the score any closer.

It's not the fans. Win and they will come. I promise.
You have not proven anything. Except my point. It is going to be extremely difficult to get the players needed to be successful without fan support.

You have not proven anything.

Wrong again...I've proven you can't seem to understand simple attendance figures or capacity percentages and you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but like to think you do making bold claims and false statements based on incorrect data. And every time I do, you double down and make it worse.

You're nothing but conjecture and hyperbole.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT